So I just got a Dexa Scan done. Not sure what to think...

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm sad now :(

Don't be sad. Look at @Hornsby pics, that always cheers me up...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I'm sad now :(

Don't be sad. Look at @Hornsby pics, that always cheers me up...

Yes, you are right. The silver lining!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Yeah, I would have gone right to skin elasticity and hydration, too, and then muscle size/shape. It's tough to see in your avi, but I'm not seeing any type of pooch like the one you're describing. Maybe it's just a perception thing.

Naw, just good camera work...

And it's not a pooch I don't guess. There is just this little bit there. Just enough to piss me off, honestly.

I have been making progress since I have been cutting for the last couple months. That turned into a very "light" cut cause well, apparently I suck at cutting... lol. It was easier when it was just losing weight. :)

Have you tried grabbing it, yelling at it, and seeing if it responds to 'dem feelz? >:)

All the time! It doesn't listen. :)

Here is a video..gotta click on it, sorry.

I'm sitting on my couch and tried to get it all in one place :) to show it. If I am standing it's spread and you can barely feel it and all abs are visible, but when I crunch like this, there it is. Under the waist line, there is no fat or loose skin. In fact I have both big veins on both sides for the adonis belt.

th_33EC8815-CD08-4E35-859D-2B0E87A12608.mp4

Dude, everyone's belly looks like that sitting down. Even the highest level bodybuilders. Comparing real life to specifically prepped, posed, lighted and/or photoshopped pictures is not good.This is all in your head. 6% BF is beyond lean, if I were you I'd focus on walking calories up and putting on more mass. Some people just don't have the genetics for abs that pop, ESPECIALLY at your age.

One example I always think of is Phil Davis. This is him weighing in after cutting weight AND water.

Davis-Phil-UFC117-1.jpg?1281134979

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORISH MOUTH!

#ForevertinyabsJof

I can't decide if this is better or worse than #forevertinycalves or #forevertinyleg.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've apparently been outvoted. In that case, when it comes to posting the asspix?

giphy.gif
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I feel like there had to be something wrong with the machine.

I know it's pointless without pics, but I am not ready for too many pics yet. April 9th is my 3 year anniversary and plan on having plenty of pics then.

I have abs, but they aren't ripped like every where else on my body. I literally have veins everywhere except for this little pooch of fat that is just chilling on my lower 4 abs. I have stridations (sp?) on my butt. Veins in my lower ab area, thighs, calves, arms... But...

image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg

6.4%? Come on now... Am I reading this wrong?

From your photo... 6.4% looks about right.

If you're wondering why your abs don't look like a competitor's does on stage day, body builders typically dehydrate themselves for stage day.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I just looked this over again, and it shows your android region fat at 7.7%, which is the highest of your body (to confirm, yes that is where you carry the most fat), but it's still really low percentage-wise.

And if you still feel super fat, I'm thinking most of this is in your head. You are lean; you need to understand that...
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I'm just in for glute pics.

Just a minor philosophical question for you that I think is an important question to ask:

Suppose you are 6.4% body fat. Do you think when you get to 5% you will be happy?

I'm not trying to imply anything at all with that question.

But it's an important one to ask. You are by all means shredded.

Just ask yourself if getting leaner is what will make you happier.

Legit question and it has definitely crossed my mind. I recognize that I have a bit of body dysmorphia. Honestly though, as cliche as it is, I want shredded abs. I don't want to walk around with them, but I want to know I can get them. That's it. Like shoes make the outfit, abs make the body in my opinion.

From what I have heard from a few people I'm friends with have told me to keep cutting and once they are shredded and all the fat is gone, it's not likely the fat will accumulate there again as long as I keep training. If I add body fat, it should go on more evenly. What are you alls thoughts on that?

And just a general thanks to all the positive comments. I'm just trying to figure this out.
  • auddii
    Options

Just a minor philosophical question for you that I think is an important question to ask:

Suppose you are 6.4% body fat. Do you think when you get to 5% you will be happy?

Legit question and it has definitely crossed my mind. I recognize that I have a bit of body dysmorphia. Honestly though, as cliche as it is, I want shredded abs. I don't want to walk around with them, but I want to know I can get them. That's it. Like shoes make the outfit, and make the body in my opinion.

From what I have heard from a few people I'm friends with have told me to keep cutting and once they are shredded and all the fat is gone, it's not likely the fat will accumulate there again as long as I keep training. If I add body fat, it should go on more evenly. What are you alls thoughts on that?

And just a general thanks to all the positive comments. I'm just trying to figure this out.

Hm, I don't know about that. I would imagine the last place to lose is also the first place you gain. Fat distribution is going to be largely genetic, which isn't going to change. And, since you don't lose fat cells, and they just shrink, when you gain again, they'll increase in size again, but with more in your lower stomach, that will likely show more than other places.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I will echo the rest of the ladies here and say that you already look amazing as is, 38 is NOT old, and I'm also in it for the *kitten* pics. ;)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Legit question and it has definitely crossed my mind. I recognize that I have a bit of body dysmorphia. Honestly though, as cliche as it is, I want shredded abs. I don't want to walk around with them, but I want to know I can get them. That's it. Like shoes make the outfit, and make the body in my opinion.

Hm, I don't know about that. I would imagine the last place to lose is also the first place you gain. Fat distribution is going to be largely genetic, which isn't going to change. And, since you don't lose fat cells, and they just shrink, when you gain again, they'll increase in size again, but with more in your lower stomach, that will likely show more than other places.

I know it goes against the typical logic but with it being a lot of loose skin, I'm thinking it could work the way they say...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Yeah, I would have gone right to skin elasticity and hydration, too, and then muscle size/shape. It's tough to see in your avi, but I'm not seeing any type of pooch like the one you're describing. Maybe it's just a perception thing.

Naw, just good camera work...

And it's not a pooch I don't guess. There is just this little bit there. Just enough to piss me off, honestly.

I have been making progress since I have been cutting for the last couple months. That turned into a very "light" cut cause well, apparently I suck at cutting... lol. It was easier when it was just losing weight. :)

Have you tried grabbing it, yelling at it, and seeing if it responds to 'dem feelz? >:)

This made me snort coffee up my nose. Thanks.

Dude, you look great. Now, granted I'm not putting in anywhere near your effort but you weigh about what I do and I'm a chick...a short one. Congrats on your 6%. It obviously took immense effort. Just be happy you never had a c-section...the pooch never goes away 100% once someone takes a person out of you.
  • auddii
    Options

I know it goes against the typical logic but with it being a lot of loose skin, I'm thinking it could work the way they say...

I'm just rambling and going by what makes sense in my head. Honestly, you'd get better advice from body builders who cut very lean and then bulk; they would likely have an idea for how fat redistributes. I would think the only other option is to just try it an see.

Do you have plans for actually running a bulk? (I know you usually just work on recomping.)
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I haven't paid for access to the full paper, but these quotes from the abstract of this research
    ( http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v37/n10/full/ijo20131a.html ) may offer some hope that "it could work the way they say":
    Regain in total fat and different adipose tissue depots was in proportion to weight regain except for a higher regain in adipose tissue of the extremities in women and a lower regain in extremity and visceral adipose tissue in men.
    Weight regain did not adversely affect body fat distribution.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm just rambling and going by what makes sense in my head. Honestly, you'd get better advice from body builders who cut very lean and then bulk; they would likely have an idea for how fat redistributes. I would think the only other option is to just try it an see.

Do you have plans for actually running a bulk? (I know you usually just work on recomping.)

From 6% seems like a glorious starting point for a solid bulk.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    In for glute striations.

Sorry I'm no help
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Not a whole lot to add but if you pop over to bodybuilding.com and look up Induced_Drag, Highiso, and cmoore they all have had to do years and years of controlled bulking and cutting to get everything tightened up (like 5-6 years). Induced_Drag, or ID was we call him, has some great insights into what changes he has noticed over the years. ID's posts are easier to find over at Iron-Sanctuary than BB.com since there's fewer of us over there.

And, just my opinion, but that looks a lot more like loose skin than anything else, at least to my inexperienced eyes. Possibly it might continue to tighten up over the next couple years…...
  • pigelet
    pigelet Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's looks like it's the elasticity of your skin that is affecting the abdominal region from the video that you posted. You are quite lean for a dude.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

From 6% seems like a glorious starting point for a solid bulk.

TJ, these were my thoughts too but you need to get your head around adding mass then cutting.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    So, since my last post, I have basically been eating at maintenance. Haven't been diligent with the tracking but weight has basically stayed the same. I have definite progress in my abs though. Not sure how to explain it. I think I am going to continue on with doing that for a few more weeks and see what happens.

I also took a picture of the striations in question but didn't have the cojones to post it. Lol
    Ah come on, we are all family here!