Options
    Pepsi Max ftw
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero above all.
  • laurenjennifer1987mfp
    Options
    Pepsi max cherry, vimto zero or fanta orange zero for me. I drink sugar free by preference, but it has been a convenient low calorie option since I started logging. Also, furry teeth feeling from sugary drinks = yuck.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    I don't think there's any actual concrete evidence on that whole diet soda thing. At least I've never found any concrete peer reviewed evidence or articles. I love the crisp taste of soda so I like to drink diet whatever. I've been steadily losing weight. Only times I've gained it's because I slacked on logging or ate over my limit. Not the soda.

I am not making an argument either way, but there are peer-reviewed journal articles out that have done research that confirms it is correlated with adverse health outcomes even when other factors are controlled. (Remember...the only thing in the entirety of public health that is deemed causal and not correlated with bad health is cigarette smoking, so something being a correlation isn't a reason to dismiss it in and of itself.)

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short
    "CONCLUSIONS Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes."

So as this article points out, it's not "causal" meaning the artificial sweetener isn't CAUSING the adverse health effect directly... but the correlation means its more likely situational and behavioral: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/17477160903497027

Then there is also research that correlates weight loss with replacing sugared drinks with either water or diet soda (my reaction: um...duh)
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/95/3/555.short

And no, it doesn't cause cancer: https://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/content/15/10/1460.full

So yea, it can work. Doesn't always. As usual, with these sorts of things. If you're here, you already are aware of yourself and your intake. So Diet Soda probably won't hurt anything.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Cherry Coke Zero where/when available. :'(
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love my Coke Zero. Down nearly 25lbs and have at least one a day.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wish it were easier to find caffeine free diet soda. Sometimes I want one later in the evening after already having so much caffeine throughout the day.

I've started having sparkling mineral water with a bit of Ocean Spray grapefruit juice (like 30ml) in the evenings if I'm craving a little something and I'm avoiding wine or more caffeine.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Lots of calories, sugar, & caffeine. Zero nutrition. Not good for "my" body. No thank you.

Lots of sugar and calories in diet coke?!

Nope, didn't see the word 'diet' obviously!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Drinking a diet Pepsi right now with dinner and I've been losing pretty steadily. I love water but about twice a day I need to change it up and drink something else. Sometimes decaf tea, sometimes full caf soda. It doesn't really seem to matter much with my weight loss.

I like to change it up a lot. Diet Pepsi, Diet Crush orange, any flavor diet Fresca, and diet A&W root beer or cream soda.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    All you've proven is that everything invented has to come from materials that exist somewhere on earth. By that logic, plastic is found in nature. It's made from petroleum, after all. In fact, by that logic, literally everything is found in nature. But it isn't.

Who cares? Lots of useful, pleasurable, and non-harmful things aren't found in nature. And lots of unuseful, non-pleasurable, and harmful things are found in nature.

Hemlock is all natural. I personally would rather have my diet Pepsi.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    All you've proven is that everything invented has to come from materials that exist somewhere on earth. By that logic, plastic is found in nature. It's made from petroleum, after all. In fact, by that logic, literally everything is found in nature. But it isn't.

Who cares? Lots of useful, pleasurable, and non-harmful things aren't found in nature. And lots of unuseful, non-pleasurable, and harmful things are found in nature.

Hemlock is all natural. I personally would rather have my diet Pepsi.
    A sprig of hemlock would jazz up a Diet Pepsi ;)
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke and jack Daniels.. Oooh anytime
  • jennymstokes
    jennymstokes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I wish it were easier to find caffeine free diet soda. Sometimes I want one later in the evening after already having so much caffeine throughout the day.
    Diet 7up girl!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Diet Coke is very good for you and has many nutritional benefits such as aspartame, artificial coloring and carbonation. DRINK DIET COKE. #vegan #paleo #cleaneating #wholefood
    Actually Diet Pepsi is better.

#meateater#eaterofeverything#dirtyeater#allfoods

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yeah, but you'll also say that high fructose syrup is found in nature, even though it's gone through a huge amount of processing and definitely isn't found in nature. And most health experts, even the World Health Organization, recommend that you avoid it. Fructose is found in nature. But HFCS is not. And I promise that aspartame isn't either.

I checked and it doesn't look like it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    benjaminhk wrote: »
    Diet Coke is very good for you and has many nutritional benefits such as aspartame, artificial coloring and carbonation. DRINK DIET COKE. #vegan #paleo #cleaneating #wholefood
    Actually Diet Pepsi is better.

#meateater#eaterofeverything#dirtyeater#allfoods

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Diet AW rootbeer

#seefoodeatfood #elfdiet #wooslayer #nothingisofftheplate