Supporting spouse in diet

Options

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm. He has cravings and you don't. If he had a broken leg, would he want you to wear a cast along with him?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    64crayons wrote: »
    What did he eat while you were losing weight?

When at home he ate what I ate but in larger portions. However I still ate carbs and grains and am maintaining eating them. I just measure and track portions whereas if he eats a bowl of cereal he'll fill the bowl to overflowing and want more. I don't have that extreme hunger or craving he has. I would have healthy meals at night and he ate them. This program is supposed to reduce cravings. By the way his doctor wants him to be on some kind of plan to lose and to make some progress by his next visit.

Then maybe he could work with a dietician? Get a plan tailored to his preferences and his medical problems?
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What did he do when you were pregnant with your kids? Was he in solidarity with you...abstaining from alcohol and all the other foods we give up when we are pregnant?

Honestly, if something as trivial as you eating a sandwich is going to derail him or make him feel bad, he isn't as committed to the new eating plan as he needs to be to be successful. He needs to find his own "why" and not blame your choices for his choices. You can't force him to want to do this.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    OP, don't change your eating habits for him. His expectations are completely unreasonable. You can't have a sandwich when he's not even at home?

It sounds like he doesn't want to be on this diet. I suggest he focus on basic portion control. Eat only half the food on his plate at a restaurant. Fill up the cereal bowl halfway. It won't require calorie counting but will reduce his calorie intake. Eat one cookie instead of two. If he can eat everything he craves but in half portions then he will hopefully begin to realize eating less is not deprivation.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Finally, my husband, who is significantly overweight (actually in the obese category) has agreed to try an eating plan that will help him to take the weight off. It's one I posted about a while back, David Ludwig's [iAlways Hungry[/i]. Ludwig's theory is that many people who are overweight are constantly hungry because they have been overfeeding on processed carbs (partly as a result of the food industry and old food guidelines pushing the 5-12 servings of grain/carbs a day), and they just crave more. also, by giving up "high fat" food, people are consuming calories that aren't satiating, and so are never satisfied. Anyway, my husband read the book with me, and he pretty much fits the profile of the type of person Ludwig's writing about -- overweight, Type II diabetes, belly fat, etc. The first 2 weeks of Ludwig's program involves no grains of any type and no white potatoes. The only carbs are from fruit, dairy, and beans. Also, all dairy products, salad dressings, etc. are full fat to promote satiety. I've done the shopping for the plan and plan to go along with my spouse when we have meals together at home. (Whole grains are allowed later in Phase II, after week 3 or 4). However, I'm not overweight myself (maintaining at 120) and have been doing fine just eating nutritiously and tracking. Hubs feels that even when he's not around, I should also follow the Ludwig plan to be in "solidarity" with him. But often, a sandwich (which is a no-no on the Ludwig plan) is more convenient for me due to my work schedule (say if I have lots of student conferences back-to-back). Also, my adult sons live with us, and 2-3 nights out of the week, my husband doesn't even come home for dinner due to work meetings, community board meetings, etc., so my sons and I will eat what we enjoy. In any case, hub says he will feel bad to know that I may be eating bread or pasta when he isn't able to eat that himself. Am I being unsupportive of my spouse by not following this plan at all times, even when he's not around?

You introduced him to this plan and want him to do it. I think it is kind of unsuportive in that case to say you will eat whatever you really want when he isn't around in that initial phase. This is a difficult change for him I think he is saying by asking you to do this too. You can eat plenty of things other than bread or pasta for 2 weeks without any real difficulty and it would make him feel less alone.
    Plan and prepare your food in advance. Eat lettuce wraps instead of bread sandwiches. Eat a hard boiled egg. Pack a yogurt. Eat veggies and hummus.Yeah it is different than a sandwich but it is only 2 weeks.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    What did he eat while you were losing weight?

When at home he ate what I ate but in larger portions. However I still ate carbs and grains and am maintaining eating them. I just measure and track portions whereas if he eats a bowl of cereal he'll fill the bowl to overflowing and want more. I don't have that extreme hunger or craving he has. I would have healthy meals at night and he ate them. This program is supposed to reduce cravings. By the way his doctor wants him to be on some kind of plan to lose and to make some progress by his next visit.

So why didn't he eat the same small portions as you out of "solidarity," whether he was with you or not? Did he want you to "feel bad" because you couldn't eat as much as he was eating? Doesn't sound like a very supportive spouse, under his own rules.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    When he's ready, it won't matter if you're willing and/or able to hold his hand
  • stephanie20314
    stephanie20314 Posts: 81 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'd tell him to keep his eyes on his own plate and worry about himself. You've done all the shopping, handed him the book, and are eating all shared meals on the plan. He's not just looking for excuses to quit, he's looking to blame you for his decision to quit when he does because you weren't in "solidarity" with him. Honestly I'd start thinking about an exit plan. He doesn't sound like a good partner or parent if he's going to blame his obesity on you and your children.

I've been with this guy 32 years and my sons are in their early 20s, and he has never blamed his weight on me or the kids. He is aware of his own history and genetics (diabetes and overeweight are in his family background). Granted, he may be looking for a way to excuse a failure to stick to plan, but he's not "blaming me." To advocate someone end a long term relationship over this is a bit extreme.

With the weight differences and your use of "my" instead of "our" about your adult children I didn't think it was such a long term relationship. And saying that he can't stick to his diet because he imagines you're at home eating pasta is blaming you. If his doctor told him to lose weight why isn't he following up with a medical professional for a meal plan?

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    This diet plan sounds like an overly restrictive plan for failure to me. If your husband is going to lose weight and keep it off over the long term he needs to learn to control portion sizes and eat within his calorie limits. This can be done while eating the same foods as the rest of the household.
    Most importantly your husband will only commit to a lifestyle change when he is ready to do so. You can buy him books, download MFP onto his phone for him, and give him encouraging words, but you can't make him lose weight.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Why can't he be an adult and research plans on his own?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Why can't he be an adult and research plans on his own?

Ding ding ding ding!

OP - How much convincing did he need to go on this eating plan? How much of a change is it from the normal foods he enjoys? Sounds to me like the eating plan just isn't a good match. Has he tried just eating less and moving more?

In answer to your question, if this is a plan that you want but he doesn't, then yes, I do think it's unsupportive of you to eat the foods he can't.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've been traveling a bit for Easter so just got back to all the posts. We're in the Boston area, and Dr. Ludwig, who is at Harvard and also in charge of the obesity program in Children's Hospital, was interviewed in the Boston Globe and has had a lot of press in our area, so both my husband and I heard and read about the plan, but I ended up buying the book. Hub's doctor suggested he watch a bunch of videos, like Food, Inc., which we've already seen, and keep a food journal. My husband is diabetic, so naturally a lower carb plan is something that he's been looking into. As I said before, my husband has a problem with portion control and cravings due carbs; the question is would he just be able to eat less of those kinds of foods, which might be "trigger foods" for him. What appealed about Ludwig's plan is that it does allow full-fat products and dairy, which he does enjoy. The plan isn't overly restrictive like Atkins or paleo, since it allows fruit (except for bananas and high GI fruits), beans, legumes, and dairy. After the first two weeks, he can have sweet potatoes and whole grain products, but only 3 servings a day. However, if he doesn't lose in the first two weeks, he's supposed to stay in the first phase until he starts seeing a loss. Years ago, Hub did Phase I South Beach, which is far more restrictive, and lost 18 lbs. in the first 6 weeks.

Regarding exercise, he does move more during baseball season, which has just started, as he is a coach and umpire, but he is a computer guy (software development and project manager) and is sedentary. Other than a walk with me once or twice a week, he doesn't exercise during off-sports season. He has a gym at work, but because he has very early morning meetings, doesn't use it. He also tends to work into the late evening, so doesn't use it then, either. I just did the big shop for the diet and packed a grocery bag full of stuff for him to take to work, as he has a fridge there, but if he's going out to dinner or people are bringing catered stuff or pastries in, I can't control what goes on there.

For my own behavior, obviously, I'm not going to chow down on cereal or eat a pasta meal if I'm eating with him. That would be cruel. However, as I'm not a diabetic, nor do I have an issue with carb cravings, is it "selfish" of me to eat an occasional sandwich or granola bar if that is what is convenient for me. I'm not talking a subway sub, but my usual half meat sandwich on whole wheat that I bring from home. When I have student conferences all day, I need something that's quick to eat and portable. Lettuce leaves and cheese are a wilted mess from that perspective. Also, if husband isn't coming home and my sons are at home, why should I not share a pasta meal or a serving of rice with them?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been traveling a bit for Easter so just got back to all the posts. We're in the Boston area, and Dr. Ludwig, who is at Harvard and also in charge of the obesity program in Children's Hospital, was interviewed in the Boston Globe and has had a lot of press in our area, so both my husband and I heard and read about the plan, but I ended up buying the book. Hub's doctor suggested he watch a bunch of videos, like Food, Inc., which we've already seen, and keep a food journal. My husband is diabetic, so naturally a lower carb plan is something that he's been looking into. As I said before, my husband has a problem with portion control and cravings due carbs; the question is would he just be able to eat less of those kinds of foods, which might be "trigger foods" for him. What appealed about Ludwig's plan is that it does allow full-fat products and dairy, which he does enjoy. The plan isn't overly restrictive like Atkins or paleo, since it allows fruit (except for bananas and high GI fruits), beans, legumes, and dairy. After the first two weeks, he can have sweet potatoes and whole grain products, but only 3 servings a day. However, if he doesn't lose in the first two weeks, he's supposed to stay in the first phase until he starts seeing a loss. Years ago, Hub did Phase I South Beach, which is far more restrictive, and lost 18 lbs. in the first 6 weeks.

Regarding exercise, he does move more during baseball season, which has just started, as he is a coach and umpire, but he is a computer guy (software development and project manager) and is sedentary. Other than a walk with me once or twice a week, he doesn't exercise during off-sports season. He has a gym at work, but because he has very early morning meetings, doesn't use it. He also tends to work into the late evening, so doesn't use it then, either. I just did the big shop for the diet and packed a grocery bag full of stuff for him to take to work, as he has a fridge there, but if he's going out to dinner or people are bringing catered stuff or pastries in, I can't control what goes on there.

For my own behavior, obviously, I'm not going to chow down on cereal or eat a pasta meal if I'm eating with him. That would be cruel. However, as I'm not a diabetic, nor do I have an issue with carb cravings, is it "selfish" of me to eat an occasional sandwich or granola bar if that is what is convenient for me. I'm not talking a subway sub, but my usual half meat sandwich on whole wheat that I bring from home. When I have student conferences all day, I need something that's quick to eat and portable. Lettuce leaves and cheese are a wilted mess from that perspective. Also, if husband isn't coming home and my sons are at home, why should I not share a pasta meal or a serving of rice with them?

Those questions at the end are questions for your husband, no?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Those questions at the end are questions for your husband, no?

She's already gotten those answers from him and didn't like them, so she's asking us.

Again, OP, if this isn't something he wants to do, then yes, I do think it's selfish of you to expect him to comply with an eating plan that, based on what I'm reading, you have pushed him into. He can eat low carb without all of those other restrictions.

Also, think of it from his point of view. He's eating wilted lettuce wraps and warm cheese while you and the kids get to nosh out on the stuff you won't let him eat. It creates a me vs. them situation and that's probably causing some of the pushback you're getting from him.
  • DearestWinter
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, OP.

This really sounds like a situation where you've cajoled your husband into this diet, particularly due to the bolded part above. You shouldn't have to control what he eats or feel responsible for controlling what he eats. He should control what he eats. If he's not 100% on board with controlling what he eats then this isn't the right plan for him. Yes, he might slip up and make mistakes as he's learning this control but that's fine as long as his intention is to be fully responsible for his decisions. Diets don't work when it's about someone following you around ready to smack the bag of potato chips out of your hand.

I think it's completely unreasonable (and very childish) of him to complain about what you're eating when he's not even around. I also don't think it's cruel for you to eat what you normally eat in front of him! As long as you're not waving fresh baked bread in front of his nose and verbally taunting him then this isn't a big deal. This is something he needs to figure out how to deal with in every other situation anyway.

I suspect he does not want to be on this diet and his complaining is a petulant attempt at making you suffer in the same way he feels you're making him suffer.

I would leave the subject be. He will lose weight when (and if) he is ready to do so. Let him know you'll be happy to schedule an appointment for him with a dietician when he's ready. You can't force a person to change, and that includes getting them to lose weight. The motivation needs to come from inside.
  • DearestWinter
    Options
    I also wanted to add that another reason to not press this issue is that being reminded we need to lose weight can irritate many of us. When I'm reminded, even indirectly (and accurately), then I get resentful and think "Well &*#* that person! I don't care what they think so I'm going to stay the way I am!" If I were with a person who then tried to actively "support" me in weight loss by picking out diets and helping me shop for foods then I would dig my heels in and become a b!%# about everything I could. It wouldn't matter if their only motivation was for me to be healthier and it wouldn't matter if I'd already been thinking (to myself) that I should probably start eating a bit less. Unless I was ready and I asked them for those specific types of support I would be extremely annoyed because I would interpret their behavior as them judging and trying to control me.

If he's obese and has health issues I highly doubt this is an issue he doesn't think about regularly. If he sees a doctor annually (who tells him that he's obese and at risk) then I think that's sufficient reminder and from a good source. I wouldn't put pressure on your relationship by turning yourself into his food police. He's already acting resentful about the idea by saying he can't handle the mere thought of you eating a sandwich when you're at work. Leave him be.
  • rosebette
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I also wanted to add that another reason to not press this issue is that being reminded we need to lose weight can irritate many of us. When I'm reminded, even indirectly (and accurately), then I get resentful and think "Well &*#* that person! I don't care what they think so I'm going to stay the way I am!" If I were with a person who then tried to actively "support" me in weight loss by picking out diets and helping me shop for foods then I would dig my heels in and become a b!%# about everything I could. It wouldn't matter if their only motivation was for me to be healthier and it wouldn't matter if I'd already been thinking (to myself) that I should probably start eating a bit less. Unless I was ready and I asked them for those specific types of support I would be extremely annoyed because I would interpret their behavior as them judging and trying to control me.

If he's obese and has health issues I highly doubt this is an issue he doesn't think about regularly. If he sees a doctor annually (who tells him that he's obese and at risk) then I think that's sufficient reminder and from a good source. I wouldn't put pressure on your relationship by turning yourself into his food police. He's already acting resentful about the idea by saying he can't handle the mere thought of you eating a sandwich when you're at work. Leave him be.

I guess "my deal" in this is that we are both late middle-aged (I'm 57 and he is 56), and his mom died from complications of diabetes, and his dad died at 66 from heart disease. So, it's not just that I'm this young married gal with a chubby hubby; I'm contemplating what it would be like to spend our "golden years" taking care of someone who is disabled, or becoming an early widow. So, it's not as if his choices are only affecting him.

Anyway, today is the first day of the program, and he's working from home because of inclement weather, and I had only two PM classes, so I've been doing all the meal prep, and everything's going OK so far.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, OP.

This really sounds like a situation where you've cajoled your husband into this diet, particularly due to the bolded part above. You shouldn't have to control what he eats or feel responsible for controlling what he eats. He should control what he eats. If he's not 100% on board with controlling what he eats then this isn't the right plan for him. Yes, he might slip up and make mistakes as he's learning this control but that's fine as long as his intention is to be fully responsible for his decisions. Diets don't work when it's about someone following you around ready to smack the bag of potato chips out of your hand.

I think it's completely unreasonable (and very childish) of him to complain about what you're eating when he's not even around. I also don't think it's cruel for you to eat what you normally eat in front of him! As long as you're not waving fresh baked bread in front of his nose and verbally taunting him then this isn't a big deal. This is something he needs to figure out how to deal with in every other situation anyway.

I suspect he does not want to be on this diet and his complaining is a petulant attempt at making you suffer in the same way he feels you're making him suffer.

I would leave the subject be. He will lose weight when (and if) he is ready to do so. Let him know you'll be happy to schedule an appointment for him with a dietician when he's ready. You can't force a person to change, and that includes getting them to lose weight. The motivation needs to come from inside.

This is the impression I get as well. That the OP has possibly pushed her husband to try this or try that for many years now. For whatever reason, he is now willing to try something but basically feels that if you have been pushing/complaining to him the whole time that you need to do it with him. Obviously that's not how weight loss works, he needs to have has own motivation. But you will have to decide if his weight loss is important enough to you for you to be both wife and caretaker, both coach and motivator. He also might see this as similar to your walks together, that getting healthy is something couples do together. I don't know. I'm not a fan of restrictive diets for the same cravings and angst it is already causing him, but can understand it doesn't sound like he wants to crunch the numbers either, which is why a lot of folks focus on restrictive diets to compensate for a lack of logging.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

I guess "my deal" in this is that we are both late middle-aged (I'm 57 and he is 56), and his mom died from complications of diabetes, and his dad died at 66 from heart disease. So, it's not just that I'm this young married gal with a chubby hubby; I'm contemplating what it would be like to spend our "golden years" taking care of someone who is disabled, or becoming an early widow. So, it's not as if his choices are only affecting him.

Anyway, today is the first day of the program, and he's working from home because of inclement weather, and I had only two PM classes, so I've been doing all the meal prep, and everything's going OK so far.

It pretty much sounds like you're the one doing the diet, so you might as well make it official
  • rosebette
    edited March 2016
    Options

It pretty much sounds like you're the one doing the diet, so you might as well make it official

Not entirely. We had some fried chicken from the week-end, and I ended up eating it while husband had fish. He actually asked my son and I to eat up the leftovers from Easter so they wouldn't be hanging around.