I've always wondered so Ladies tell me . . .

Options

Replies

• rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Now my only question is, when are you ladies available to go shopping with me?
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    please please please, no socks with sandals. no stained t-shirts. no white socks with dress shoes.
  • Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Its as easy as looking at the manikin in the store. Someone put that outfit together as an expert. Most sales associates can help put an outfit together.

Uh, guys don't buy "outfits."
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your clothing should be "event appropriate." Please don't wear your jammies to the bank or the supermarket (or anywhere else in public). Please wear sweatpants when you're working out. ONLY. Please don't wear socks with sandals, or pocket protectors, etc... You know. You don't have to be dressed up, just dressed appropriately! :wink:

The worst case of dressing I have ever seen on a man was a pair of star trek jammie bottoms and a dingy white wifebeater at the supermarket. Freaking Gross.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    OK since we're on men's fashion I have a question for all the ladies.

It's casual Friday at work and I usually wear nice jeans and my Merrells or Timberlands and either a button down or knit polo type shirt to work.

Should I tuck the shirt in or not???

It's funny i've always made a point to iron all my clothes and people have given me grief about ironing.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    OK since we're on men's fashion I have a question for all the ladies.

It's casual Friday at work and I usually wear nice jeans and my Merrells or Timberlands and either a button down or knit polo type shirt to work.

Should I tuck the shirt in or not???

It's funny i've always made a point to iron all my clothes and people have given me grief about ironing.

When dressing casually, as long as your clothes are clean and wrinkle-free, you're not going to look bad leaving the shirttail out. But you'll always look more presentable with the shirt tucked in and a belt.
  • bakebunny
    bakebunny Posts: 253
    Options
    Button downs need to be tucked in. Polos I think it depends on the length and if it's banded at the bottom. Generally speaking, if it's untucked and the bottom of the shirt comes down past the waistband of your pants, it needs to be tucked in.
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    Oh, and don't listen to the people giving you grief about ironing (mostly men, I presume). Wrinkles are a turn-off.

This is just me, but I don't even like to see wrinkled t-shirts at the gym. They don't have to be ironed, of course, but if they look like they were wadded up in a ball in your drawer, I cringe a little.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    good fit, clean, neat.

You can wear jeans and a T-shirt IF they fit you well (correct size) and are not raggedy.
    Sure, a suit is well dressed, but not practical.

Every girl has her own opinion on what "nice clothes" are. Find a girl who likes your style.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't listen to the people giving you grief about ironing (mostly men, I presume). Wrinkles are a turn-off.

This is just me, but I don't even like to see wrinkled t-shirts at the gym. They don't have to be ironed, of course, but if they look like they were wadded up in a ball in your drawer, I cringe a little.

It's a pretty good mix of men and women, they all say the same thing "if it has to be ironed I don't wear it".
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    That's just laziness then. By all means, keep ironing.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Great topic... and great feedback too!!

A couple tidbits of non-obvious advice
    > hang dry or iron your jeans.... spare me comments, but wrinkles suck there too
    > match belts and shoes.... like, buy them together, it's OK to have 4 different brown belts
    > the goal, what you wear should be intentional, with thought
    > be meticulous on grooming [ears, nose, brows, etc...]

A couple questions.....
    > SOCKS!! Do fancy socks get noticed or is it overkill? I usually stay with standard blacks and browns, they worth it?
    > Pointed toe shoes [like, wicked witch sorta stuff].... again, too much?? to me they scream someone is trying too hard... but it's just me. would love some perspective

Sorry, releasing the metro-sexual side of me...... be kind!!!! Thanks for all the advice too, I LOVE getting such perspective! Ya know, us guys can't discuss this among ourselves.....

Ray
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I like fun socks...as long as they aren't white...and for the love of god PLEASE no white pants...anytime, any where...no white pants! My safety guy is wearing white pants, a red shirt and a fedora today...we work in the oil patch butt head!
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    Great topic... and great feedback too!!

A couple tidbits of non-obvious advice
    > hang dry or iron your jeans.... spare me comments, but wrinkles suck there too
    > match belts and shoes.... like, buy them together, it's OK to have 4 different brown belts
    > the goal, what you wear should be intentional, with thought
    > be meticulous on grooming [ears, nose, brows, etc...]

A couple questions.....
    > SOCKS!! Do fancy socks get noticed or is it overkill? I usually stay with standard blacks and browns, they worth it?
    > Shirt in shirt concoctions... like a polo inside a collar shirt, with color tee underneath... seems overkill, anyone actually like this layered look? It is seems like ascot stuff to me?!? You see this in all the pics and fashion stuff.
    > Pointed toe shoes [like, wicked witch sorta stuff].... again, too much?? to me they scream someone is trying too hard... but it's just me. would love some perspective

Sorry, releasing the metro-sexual side of me...... be kind!!!! Thanks for all the advice too, I LOVE getting such perspective! Ya know, us guys can't discuss this among ourselves.....

Ray

Socks ... basically, they shouldn't be noticeable. I really shouldn't be able to see them when you're standing and walking, and they should be of such a color and design that when you're seated, they blend well enough with your pants/shoes that I don't notice them. However, if you're the type of guy who likes to wear "conversation piece" socks, go ahead, but be conscious of the setting. Don't wear playful socks on a date to a fancy restaurant. You'll make your date feel like an idiot.

Layering shirts ... I personally don't get this about guys. Wearing a wife-beater under a dress shirt is fine and fairly standard. But that's pretty much the limit.

Weird shoes ... I vote no unless that's your style.

The bottom line is that you need to feel normal in what you're wearing, so if you have doubts, go with something else. If you feel silly and uncomfortable, you will look silly and uncomfortable.
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    My biggest thing is NO HOLES!!! If the t-shirt looks like it was just dragged out of my rats' cage, where they shred fabric into nice fluffy nesting material, don't wear it. If the lower legs of your jeans are held on by a two-inch strip of denim that hasn't ripped yet, don't wear it! I have no problem with jeans and a t-shirt, just, PLEASE!!! Don't look like a panhandler when you wear them. Especially if the woman you're out with is dressed nicely...then it just looks like she's on a charity date.

I'm pleased to report that my fiancee wears button-down shirts tucked into slacks, with a belt. He wears hiking boots, which I'm cool with, because frankly, his job has him going all over the place, walking here, there, and everywhere, and dressy shoes? Not really so good for that. And I like the boots. LOL
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Polo shirt or other decent shirt, casual pants, jeans or shorts without holes, which fit properly, meaning worn on waistline, not too high on belly nor hanging low. Any kind of shoes, as long as they are appropriate for the outfit. Also, don't wear black socks with shorts (I find that so tacky looking), crew or other short socks with shorts and gym shoes.
  • kmarx65
    kmarx65 Posts: 28
    Options
    Personally, I like cologne. If you smell good you look good;) Sometimes, I like the casual look. Jeans and a white T-shirt(untucked) can be very sexy.
  • clarissa2010
    Options
    Look like you've atleast tried to look good! No girl likes a guy who looks like he just threw his clothes on :)
  • BeckyReba
    BeckyReba Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    if you add a pair of loafers into your wardrobe you will automatically look well dressed, at least in my opinion :):)