• ErynVee
    ErynVee Posts: 187 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Finally got in my first long high humidity run of the year this afternoon/evening (75 + 98% humidity). As expected, my pace was about a minute/mile slower than usual (at the same heart rate), my dri-fit shirt was totally saturated within the first 2 miles, I went overboard on some gatorade from a gas station at mile 10 to try to cool down - killing my stomach for about 4 miles, and I pretty much felt icky for the last 2 hours as sweat was just sitting on my skin without evaporating in the 98% humidity. On the plus side, I'm returning north in another 2 weeks, and I just have two 20-milers left before my May 1 marathon.

Just need to average 12/day for the last 3 days of the month and I'll hit my target (likely via doubles).

Also, just dropped in a lottery application for Chicago yesterday and will find out in a few weeks. Although it is roughly a month before my first ironman and I'll need some recovery time, I figure it'll be my first remotely feasible attempt to qualify for Boston once I move up to the 40-44 age group in the fall.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles
    3/10 - 13 miles
    3/12 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 6 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - 1 mile
    3/19 - 10 miles
    3/21 - 20 miles
    3/23 - 11 miles
    3/25 - 5.5 miles
    3/27 - 9 miles
    3/28 - 20 miles

Total: 163.5 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 36.5 miles

@ddmom0811 - The century ride was a gran fondo with some time-trial portions which made it interesting, as I ended up pulling domestique duty for my team - leading the paceline for quite a bit of the non-time trial sections to keep our target riders fresh, and pulling hard for the first 1/4 of each time trial portion. Still, despite being a relatively intense ride (about 5 hours), I actually felt pretty fresh by the end, and really enjoyed the camaraderie of the experience of riding with a team. Definitely make sure you have a good team for the ride, and it'll seem like a fun group ride despite the daunting distance and the miles will just fly by. With my ironman 70.3 coming up in another 2 weeks, I wanted to get in a bit more intense of a long-distance riding event, and I'm sure my legs will be better off for the experience.

@MobyCarp - Congrads on the AG win!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal: Run often

3/1 3.44
    3/2 9.27
    3/3 rest
    3/4 3.30
    3/5 meh
    3/6 3.70
    3/7 3.12
    3/8 struggling
    3/9 mightily
    3/10 5.00
    3/11 more meh
    3/12 4.05
    3/13 4.01
    3/14 3.14
    3/15 rest
    3/16 3.38
    3/17 snorkel 2.5 hours
    3/18 3.20
    3/19 rest
    3/20 13.39
    3/21 bonding
    3/22 with son
    3/23 and DIL
    3/24 and shivering in the cold Great Basin
    3/25 travel
    3/26 3.12
    3/27 3.12
    3/28 2.72

Total 69.38

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    1 Mar – 3 km
    2 Mar – 4 km
    5 Mar – 5 km
    6 Mar – 10 km – first time ever!
    8 Mar – 7.5 km
    10 Mar – 5.1 km
    12 Mar – 5 km – parkrun PB!
    13 Mar – 10 km
    15 Mar – 7.5 km
    17 Mar – 5.4 km
    19 Mar – 5 km
    20 Mar – 13 km - furthest distance yet!
    22 Mar – 7.2 km
    24 Mar – 7.1 km
    26 Mar – 5 km – parkrun PB!
    27 Mar – 15 km – new distance PB!
    29 Mar – 7 km

Total: 121.8 km
    Goal: 60 km – I’m WAY over!
  • Orphia
    Options
  • Orphia
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I wear tight shorts most of the time because they don't ride, but lately I can't find any with enough/big enough pockets. I ordered a pair of Saucony scoot tight shorts and the pocket barely could hold one gel! Some of the loose-leg Oiselle shorts (and other brands, obviously) have larger pockets and side pockets you can't get with compression shorts. I hate to leave compression shorts behind because they make my butt look great ;) but I need more pockets, darn it! I wear tight shorts to avoid chafe, but I actually didn't chafe with the Distance shorts, which was a happy surprise -- though I did lube up quite a bit with Vaseline beforehand!

@kristinegift I totally hear you about the pockets! Y U No give me decent shorts pockets, sport companies?

I totally adore my Nike Running Dri-Fit capris which have a phone pocket at the left hip and a key/cash divided zipped pocket on right. I've got 2 pairs.

But can I find shorts with these features? Hell to the no.

@Orphia Capris have the best pockets! But I have a hard time finding leggings with big enough pockets for winter long runs just as I'm hard pressed to find tight-shorts that have big enough pockets. So frustrating! Those Nike capris sound amazing though. Nice big, convenient pockets! Whenever a phone can fit, I'm super impressed, since phones have gotten so darn big!
    4leighbee wrote: »
    I wear tight shorts most of the time because they don't ride, but lately I can't find any with enough/big enough pockets. I ordered a pair of Saucony scoot tight shorts and the pocket barely could hold one gel! Some of the loose-leg Oiselle shorts (and other brands, obviously) have larger pockets and side pockets you can't get with compression shorts. I hate to leave compression shorts behind because they make my butt look great ;) but I need more pockets, darn it! I wear tight shorts to avoid chafe, but I actually didn't chafe with the Distance shorts, which was a happy surprise -- though I did lube up quite a bit with Vaseline beforehand!

@kristinegift I totally hear you about the pockets! Y U No give me decent shorts pockets, sport companies?

I totally adore my Nike Running Dri-Fit capris which have a phone pocket at the left hip and a key/cash divided zipped pocket on right. I've got 2 pairs.

in re: pockets - I literally got back in my car before my long run yesterday so I could more carefully inspect the darn capri tights I was wearing - what do you mean there are no pockets? There must be a pocket somewhere <practically undressing in search of a pocket>. Nope. Carried my key fob for ten miles.

@4leighbee Haha, how inconvenient! At least give us ONE fob-sized pocket! That's always the first thing I look for when I buy bottoms for running -- where/how many pockets. A zero-pocket pair usually elicits an eye roll from me. In an age when everyone has phones and fobs and ID cards and keys to carry, how do these companies get away with zero pockets?!

This whole discussion makes me happy I have my Flipbelt!! I was never a consistent runner in the past and I got my Flipbelt because most of my clothes are yoga clothes so they typically don't have pockets. I never thought about how hard it would be to run if I didn't have my belt, it sounds like a real headache!

I just had to Google that...

https://flipbelt.com/

Awesome!

I ordered a cheapo phone belt off eBay the other day, but that Flipbelt looks far superior.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options

So why don't my Nike Dri-Fit capris have those pockets? All of mine just have a tiny (barely fits my house key) zippered pocket in the back. I did find some shorts and capris with pockets by Skirt Sports. I have never tried them but thinking I may need to - just wish they weren't so expensive! (http://www.skirtsports.com/product-category/bottoms/shorts-and-capris-and-tights/)
    Maybe we all need to start writing Nike and UA and Oiselle and asking for pockets in their compression bottoms!!

I use a Spibelt for now to carry my phone, poop bags and treats for the pup and for longer runs my gummy bears or whatever. I have multiple Road Ids for my shoes so I don't have to constantly move them around. I don't carry credit cards, insurance cards or even my drivers license. If I need money I have Apple Pay on my phone or I will call my husband.
    @ceckhardt369 - I had to laugh about your husband - mine is exactly the same way!
    @ddmom0811 - you are so right about thinking about going back being really terrible and then it not being nearly as bad as you expect.
    @skippygirlsmom - It was definitely a busy day but not terribly stressful yet.

I can't wait to run again - Wednesday afternoon/evening!! I did get my husband to take Hobbes and me to agility class tonight (I still can't drive). It was as much for Hobbes as for me - he really needed some activity even though we have been doing bits of training at home. He is now exhausted and sleeping away!
  • zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    03/02 4.5 miles Legs took a while to warm up seriously thought of turning back home at mile 1 but persevered with it and turned into a really good run.
    03/04 4.6 miles Kept it comfortable rather than the build up that was suggested legs wanted a slight break
    03/06 8.7 miles Bit hillier than I normally do so was rather happy to find that I could run up the hill on the route.
    03/08 4.5 miles
    03/13 11 miles Longest run so far!
    03/17 4.5 miles Rather comfortable run to set me up before my first race on Sunday, probably my last run until then as I don't want to exacerbate the blister on the arch of my foot.
    03/20 6.3 miles First ever race.
    03/23 4.6 miles
    03/27 6.6 miles Lovely run down by the canal where my parents are moving to slightly faster than planned but felt good for it.

exercise.png

03/20 Canterbury Riverside 10k 1:16:12
    05/29 Edinburgh Half marathon
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi People,

I got a doubt. today the organizers of the next 5K which I registered sent an email telling, do 1 speed run, 1 Tempo run and one long run so that you don't end up injured during the race.
    I generally do is just run at normal pace, walk when tired and regain running and put maximum towards end the running. In weekends I just try to put some extra distance. Am I doing something wrong?

What are this Tempo runs and Speed runs? More I am learning about running it's getting more complicated. :(
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »
    Also, just dropped in a lottery application for Chicago yesterday and will find out in a few weeks. Although it is roughly a month before my first ironman and I'll need some recovery time, I figure it'll be my first remotely feasible attempt to qualify for Boston once I move up to the 40-44 age group in the fall.

@Ohhim - If you'll turn 40 in the fall, you're already in the 40-44 age group for purposes of qualifying for Boston 2017. I ran Buffalo at age 59, but BAA let me register on the first day because I beat the 60-64 age group standard by more than 20 minutes.

From the BAA FAQ:

Q: I will be 44 when I run my qualifying race, but will be 45 when I run the Boston Marathon. What is my qualifying standard?
    A: Your qualifying time is based on your age on the day of the Boston Marathon, thus your qualifying standard will be 3hrs 25 min - and you can be 44 when you run your qualifying race.

rohanivan wrote: »
    Hi People,

I got a doubt. today the organizers of the next 5K which I registered sent an email telling, do 1 speed run, 1 Tempo run and one long run so that you don't end up injured during the race.
    I generally do is just run at normal pace, walk when tired and regain running and put maximum towards end the running. In weekends I just try to put some extra distance. Am I doing something wrong?

What are this Tempo runs and Speed runs? More I am learning about running it's getting more complicated. :(

@rohanivan - By chance, is this 5K associated with a half marathon on the same day? This sounds like standard advice for beginners running a half, and it's a bit overkill for people running a 5K.

To answer the details, speed runs are typically intervals where you run some distance or time fast, then a slower interval, then faster. They can be simple or complex, and speed can vary with training intention. For example, a beginning of training cycle speed work might by 4 x 800m at T pace with 200m recovery. What that means is, I run 800m at T (variously described as "comfortably hard" or "tempo" or "lactic threshold"), then jog easily for 200m, then repeat that 3 more times. Tempo runs are longer runs that are consistently at tempo pace. Most running in training should be slower than tempo pace.

Come race day, the people running a half marathon will average a bit slower than T pace for the half. The people running the 5K will be running faster than T pace for the shorter distance.

If you were planning to try to run the 5K as fast as possible, you would also be doing some speed work at paces faster than T. but if your plan is to just run at the same pace you train at, and you've trained up to the distance, you should be fine. You'll want to take a closer look at how to train when/if you decide you're interested in longer distances than a 10K.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @vandinem - That made me laugh about the Strava mileage vs Thumbs Up!:lol: There are some in my feed with a couple hundred every time they go out!

@Elise4270 - I never considered the possibilities of vampires in the bushes! :scream: I went out to run at 4 dark 30 this morning because my brain has currently convinced the rest of me that is the best time to get it done. So it was dark, no sun or even twilight anywhere to be found. I took the paved park trails along the wooded stream. I encountered many woodland creatures like bunnies, rabbits, hares, and something fleeting across the trail just ahead of my flashlight beam. A bit later something was scurrying through the bushes for a bit. I never considered it might have been a vampire!:scream:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Hi People,

Some races send out complimentary training plans. I ignore them. Not everyone is ready for speed work. I'm waiting until fall to schedule it in. I'm sure others can expound on speed work. Just simply put- its varying your pace with faster segments.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5 easy effort miles in the dark this morning. I described a bit of the run just a couple posts above. I took a flashlight along. Not so much to avoid blindly stumbling over any deer, foxes or coyotes, they should be able to handle that. Mostly I took the flashlight in case I encountered any other humans who might be spooked by some guy running towards them in the middle of the night on dark park trails. I really don't want pepper spray chafing. After 3 miles I began to realize that nobody else was out and about. But then just after mile 4 I passed a runner going the other way with an anti-vampire light on their hat, and then just a short bit later a guy walking his dog but without any vampire protection at all (unless the dog is trained for that perhaps). So at least there are two others that are as equally crazy to be out there at that time of day...err...night...umm...whatever time that is.

3/1 - 5 miles
    3/2 - 5 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - Rest
    3/5 - 12 miles
    3/6 - 5 miles
    3/7 - 5 miles
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5 miles
    3/10 - 5 miles
    3/11 - Rest
    3/12 - 12 miles
    3/13 - 5 miles
    3/14 - 5 miles
    3/15 - 5 miles
    3/16 - 5 miles
    3/17 - 5 miles
    3/18 - Rest
    3/19 - 12 miles
    3/20 - 5 miles
    3/21 - 4 miles
    3/22 - 4 miles
    3/23 - 4 miles
    3/24 - 4 miles
    3/25 - Rest
    3/26 - 8 miles
    3/27 - 4 miles
    3/28 - 5 miles
    3/29 - 5 miles

144/150 Miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS)
    4/23 - Race for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO)
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS)
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS)
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    1.61 with the dog this morning

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @vandinem - That made me laugh about the Strava mileage vs Thumbs Up!:lol: There are some in my feed with a couple hundred every time they go out!

@Elise4270 - I never considered the possibilities of vampires in the bushes! :scream: I went out to run at 4 dark 30 this morning because my brain has currently convinced the rest of me that is the best time to get it done. So it was dark, no sun or even twilight anywhere to be found. I took the paved park trails along the wooded stream. I encountered many woodland creatures like bunnies, rabbits, hares, and something fleeting across the trail just ahead of my flashlight beam. A bit later something was scurrying through the bushes for a bit. I never considered it might have been a vampire!:scream:

Dang your brave. I won't even walk on the side of my house near the woods after dark. If I leave the water on, I make my husband go turn it off. (I have to whine about it for 10 minutes first though). I think maybe I was scared one too many times as a kid. I can't even image running the trails in the dark alone. It'd be a PR for sure.

I'm not scared of snakes, spiders or the likes. Just the boogie man. Or the creature from the black lagoon.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Total: 121.8 km
    Goal: 60 km – I’m WAY over!

@Orphia Wow, you are WAY over your goal! Way to go! You're killing it this month!!

Hi People,

@rohanivan I'm gonna second @MobyCarp's question on this one; is there an associated 10k or half-marathon? Because a speed run, tempo run and long run aren't really necessary for a 5k! I am sure you're training well with what you're doing :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    3/17: DC mini-vacation
    3/18: DC mini-vacation
    3/19: 7.2 miles
    3/20: 20 birthday miles!
    3/21: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/22: Rest day!
    3/23: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    3/24: 8 miles speedwork (am), 6.1 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/25: 1 mile, 3 pairs of shorts!
    3/26: 8 miles - NJM course preview!
    3/27: 16 miles w/ 4 at HMP/MP tempo
    3/28: 5.8 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/29: Rest day!

Rest day/core work day! I forgot to do it yesterday, so I tacked on a few of Monday's exercises to today, and will tack on the rest to Friday. I went above and beyond on my clamshell extensions (basic clamshell, but when knees are separated, I lift my foot so the leg on top is parallel to the leg on the bottom; then I swing my leg out straight and swing it 5 times before putting my feet, then knees back together; I do that whole sequence 5 times). I accidentally did 10 swings per rep when I started instead of 5 so I just went with it... THE BURN!!! I'm gonna be feeling that later! It's one of the exercises I do to keep my hips aligned (those + leg raises and scissors) since those are all exercises my PT gave me when my hips got super misaligned and pinched my hip flexor (my worst running pain to date!).

Good to see so many people coming close/hitting their goals already! We've still got 2 days, you over achievers! ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ) [/quote]

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Glad I ran twice yesterday - totally slept through my alarm this morning. Still on track to meet my goal.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Dang your brave. I won't even walk on the side of my house near the woods after dark. If I leave the water on, I make my husband go turn it off. (I have to whine about it for 10 minutes first though). I think maybe I was scared one too many times as a kid. I can't even image running the trails in the dark alone. It'd be a PR for sure.

I'm not scared of snakes, spiders or the likes. Just the boogie man. Or the creature from the black lagoon.
    Truth be told, I'm very hesitant to do these sort of early morning runs on natural wooded trails. There are some nearby and I do plan on running them more regularly this year, and if I'm running in vampire time then I guess I will have to bite down (or suck it up) and go for it. But....

I hate spider webs.

Mostly because spiders live in them.

But even more so because I feel like spiders are on me all day when web is clinging to me, or feels like it's clinging to me.

And trail runners aren't supposed to be bothered by spyder webz.:scream:

And I'm not scared....

I just dislike it to the highest power.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I had to run on the treadmill, yesterday, or else I would have risked being blown away. The wind was so strong that it literally took my breath away just walking from my mailbox to my house. This was after I had to chase the mail that was ripped from my hand into my neighbor's yard and stomp on it to retrieve it. At least I provided some entertainment for all the people waiting at the stoplight during their afternoon commute.

I went into the run with the intention of doing a good miles, depending on how I felt. My mileage has been awful this month, and with a 15K coming up, I figured I needed to warm myself up with a decentrun. That 6 miles turned into 4.63. I was wearing my "new" shoes (that have over 150 miles on them, so they are definitely broke in). My feet hurt so bad from all the rubbing that I didn't want to chance any blisters 4.5 days before my 15K, so I just stopped running. I will be wearing my old, almost-past-their-prime shoes for the 15K.

In the meantime, I am going to dinner in Philly with my boyfriend for our 5-year dating anniversary, tomorrow, so, before dinner, I will be stopping into Philadelphia Runner a few blocks from the restaurant to be fitted for, and to pick up, a new pair of shoes. Of course, this is way too late for the race on Saturday, but at least I can start breaking in the new pair. It's been a handful of years since I was properly fitted, anyway, so it's probably good to do all of that, again. Do I want to drop money this soon on another pair of shoes when I have a "perfectly good" pair, already? No, but my mangled feet tell me I have no choice.

Also, I am a bit embarrassed by my pathetic March running. I can't wait for April to come so I can start over. Last year, my upcoming 15K was the start of my injured hip, and the super-hilly 5K I have the following week is what completely did me in. My fingers are crossed that I remain injury free this Spring!

03/01 3.47 mi
    03/03 3.25 mi
    03/07 2.71 mi
    03/09 4.00 mi
    03/13 4.00 mi
    03/17 5.41 mi
    03/21 4.73 mi
    03/28 4.63 mi
    TOTAL 32.20 mi

2016 Races:
    02/21 – Disney Princess Half Marathon – 2:38:29 (included 16 stops to either take photos of something or have my photo taken with something)
    04/02 – Philadelphia Hot Chocolate 15K
    04/09 – Yuengling Light Lager Jogger 5K
    04/16 – River Horse 6K
    05/01 – Blue Cross Broad Street Run (10 miles)
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon