Anybody on Candida Diet?

Options
I'm looking for a support buddy so we can help each other stick to our diet! It's so HARD!

Replies

• tncindy69
    tncindy69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the Candida diet for over 2 years! Off and on. Whenever I eat anything mildly sweet, like carrots or sweet potatoes, my symptoms flare. It is very challenging, but I feel such better when I eat what my body likes. Friend request me, if you want. I will check my food diary and see if it is private. I think I can undo that. Not sure, not real great with technology! :)
  • tncindy69
    Options
    I have many chronic health problems. Everything from arthritis to fibromyalgia, my dr thinks. I have tried many diets to help feel better. Started with paleo, tried gaps, now candida which is pretty much a ketogenic diet. I follow several people on you tube, Healthy pursuit is a good one. She isn't really candida but keto. But she knows a lot about foods and health and how they are connected
  • tncindy69
    Options
    It helps me to listen or read about others and how they stick with this. I am also in the fitness industry and have studied a little about nutrition on own. I am suprised at the number of people who do not connect how they feed themselves with their health problems. If you put kool-aid in your car, how do you think it would run? But yet we dump tons of sugar in our bodies and expect them to be fine.
  • mikeb65634
    mikeb65634 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you researched AIP? autoimmune protocol? It has been transforming for me. It's Paleo based but more restrictive for a short time.
    Dr Sarah Ballentyne wrote the textbook on this.
    Her website is PaleoMom.
    Also, have you been tested for SIBO
  • mikeb65634
    mikeb65634 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Please join AIP support on FB.
    Incredible group
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think you should find out if you have candida first. There is a lot of fear mongering surrounding candida. Does everyone in the western world have it? Are they talking about candida in Japan? It's a bit overblown IMO. I think if it's something you have, you would know it. But if you're gonna symptom check on Google, then of course you're gonna feel like you have it. Consult a doctor for testing.
  • abbey146
    abbey146 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think you should find out if you have candida first.
    There's no question of whether I have it or not. My symptoms are full blown, I mean like BAD and I've done the spit test which came out positive. I don't see how a doctor is able to tell me if I have it, is there another type of testing I don't know about?
  • abbey146
    Options
    mikeb65634 wrote: »
    Have you researched AIP? autoimmune protocol? It has been transforming for me. It's Paleo based but more restrictive for a short time.
    Dr Sarah Ballentyne wrote the textbook on this.
    Her website is PaleoMom.
    Also, have you been tested for SIBO

I haven't heard of that or been tested but will look into it. Thank you for the info and advice!
  • abbey146
    Options
    tncindy69 wrote: »
    I have many chronic health problems. Everything from arthritis to fibromyalgia, my dr thinks. I have tried many diets to help feel better. Started with paleo, tried gaps, now candida which is pretty much a ketogenic diet. I follow several people on you tube, Healthy pursuit is a good one. She isn't really candida but keto. But she knows a lot about foods and health and how they are connected
    Thank you for the tips! I will check them out
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not any more but I was on one, largely eating mostly meat and green vegs , rarely giving in and having one good carb.

I had coconut oil supplements daily and cooked everything in coconut oil and it actually seemed to have solved the problem, it helped after month or so and really kicked in after about 6 months, and now over a year and half later I don't get at all , even though I rarely take the supplements at all now.

Have you tried coconut oil?

• abbey146
    Options

I had coconut oil supplements daily
    I haven't heard of coconut oil supplements. Do they fight candida?

Also, you what is your diet like now if you have no symptoms. I always thought it would come back if you go back to eating other stuff
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    How did you get tested for candida? I get these super itchy red bumps on my feet whenever I eat too much sugar, or if I have things like baked goods.
  • abbey146
    Options
    How did you get tested for candida? I get these super itchy red bumps on my feet whenever I eat too much sugar, or if I have things like baked goods.
    I didn't get tested, but there is an at home thing you can do called the "spit test." Just google Candida spit test
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    If you have candida overgrowth, see a doctor, take the antifungal, and stop reading nonsense on the internet. Untreated fungal infections can be bad news.
  • abbey146
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you have candida overgrowth, see a doctor, take the antifungal, and stop reading nonsense on the internet. Untreated fungal infections can be bad news.
    I wouldn't exactly call it nonsense. It is a fact that Candida thrives on sugar, and only by eliminating sugar from my diet will the Candida be starved out. I have had a huge sweeting my entire life which is what has caused my Candida. Anti finals may work, but would be no good if I continued feeding the Candida with sugar.
    I think you may need to do some research.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    abbey146 wrote: »
    I wouldn't exactly call it nonsense. It is a fact that Candida thrives on sugar, and only by eliminating sugar from my diet will the Candida be starved out. I have had a huge sweeting my entire life which is what has caused my Candida. Anti finals may work, but would be no good if I continued feeding the Candida with sugar.

@abbey14 I was trying 5 tablespoons of coconut oil for joint and muscle pain and I think may have helped but a few weeks later I went off sugars and all forms of grains cold turkey when I could not taper off. Because of all the coconut oil and cutting carbs to <50 grams daily I think I may have a 'die off' at first but that passed and my health is better than I can remember. The pain is managed , 40 years of IBS resolved and other health improvements.

Two weeks in to eating <50 grams of carbs daily the cravings faded and has not returned in the past 18 months.

This is just one place below with some info that could be a good place to start researching Candida how we all have it but it is the 'overgrowth' that can crash our health for those interested in the subject.
    mindbodygreen.com/0-8376/10-signs-you-have-candida-overgrowth-what-to-do-about-it.html

Welcome to MFP forums and thanks for sharing.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Uh-huh. Again, fungal infections are serious and you need an anti-fungal, not ridiculous blathering a from the Internet. Stop self-diagnosing using BS sites like Gale posted up there. Speak to your doctor if you think you have a problem."
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like thrush ....
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing about intestinal fungal infections lately, so I googled. I think this site does a great job of explaining.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3163673/

Here is the summary:

Candida organisms commonly colonize the human gastrointestinal tract as a component of the resident microbiota. Their presence is generally benign. Recent studies, however, show that high level Candida colonization is associated with several diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Further, results from animal models argue that Candida colonization delays healing of inflammatory lesions and that inflammation promotes colonization. These effects may create a vicious cycle in which low-level inflammation promotes fungal colonization and fungal colonization promotes further inflammation. Both inflammatory bowel disease and gastrointestinal Candida colonization are associated with elevated levels of the pro-inflammatory cytokine IL-17. Therefore, effects on IL-17 levels may underlie the ability of Candida colonization to enhance inflammation. Because Candida is a frequent colonizer, these effects have the potential to impact many people.

• abbey146
    Options

Uh-huh. Again, fungal infections are serious and you need an anti-fungal, not ridiculous blathering a from the Internet. Stop self-diagnosing using BS sites like Gale posted up there. Speak to your doctor if you think you have a problem."

Please. Did you even read what I just wrote? I said Candida thrives on sugar. Are you really trying to dispute that?
    Are you a doctor or something?