March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Add a dedicated stretching sessions or cross-training 1x week to actually help with reducing risk of injury, possibly a strength session. Other than that, at this time, just increase mileage like you are doing. Looks good.
    Forgot the part where I do a 15-20 minute rear-kicking kettlebell routine 1-2 times a week to help with core strength...12kilo kettlebell....turkish get ups, swings, floor press, deadlift. The weight isn't much, but man does it kick my rear.

Then you are good to go! Give your self time. The changes are happening.
    (don't overthink this.)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Then you are good to go! Give your self time. The changes are happening.
    (don't overthink this.)
    I Probably need to remember this the most
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How many of you on Strava have premium memberships? And Those who do, how do you like it? I've been using Garmin for all my run stuff, but with all the folks on Strava, I'm thinking of using that more, and trying to decide on free or premium.

I use both. No premium. Different groups. Bunch of casual runner and tri friends on GC. Bunch MTB and open runners on Strava. Then Training Peaks, SportTracks and my own software for analytics. My training calendar is in GC (because it is easy to send to the watch that way). MapMyRide for RAGBRAI group... etc. It all syncs by itself.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cracked up on the @Stoshew71 & @skippygirlsmom being married. :smiley:

Got up to run a shorter distance today because want to do a long run tomorrow. The temp said 30 degrees! What?!
    It hasn't been 30 all winter in Orlando! At first I thought maybe I was looking at the wrong thing on my mom's thermometer... is that the date? Oh yeah, today is the 30th. But no, my app said 27! I did not pack for cold winter running! So I wore 3 layers on my top, one pants and found some gloves in one of my mom's coats and went outside. The only thing cold were my hands. Even stripped off a layer! I went just 4.3 because I want to do a long run tomorrow. GOAL today!

Went to Road Runner Sports here where I am a member and it was quite a disappointment. They just had very little in my size (9.5 Wide) and they were not knowledgeable at all. Last summer when I went there everyone was a running genius but this time, I don't even think they were runners. Not sure what happened but I plan on letting them know. I did end up with a Nike Air Zoom Vomero 10- which is last year's model so they were at least a bargain... and if I don't like them I can return them in 90 days. I just got my second pair of Brooks Glycerin 13s about a month ago, and they still had those but in the same color. I only rotate between two shoes at the moment and I know me... I would be way too confused rotating two of the same type of shoes. Anyway, it was just a disappointing shopping trip, but hopefully the Nike's will be nice. :disappointed:

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training
    March 10 - 5.02 miles
    March 11 - strength training
    March 12 - 35 miles bike
    March 13- 62.5 miles biking Tour de Cure
    March 14 - 4.12 miles - PI run + 0.98
    March 15 - Recovery day
    March 16 - 4.7 miles (intervals) + strength training
    March 17 - 4.5 miles
    March 18 - strength training cancelled :(
    March 19 - 34 mile bike ride
    March 20 - 8.4 miles - biking was canceled so impromptu run
    March 21 - 4.4 miles (after school) + day 1 of 28 squat challenge
    March 22 - 4.4 miles (intervals on a beautiful chilly morning) + day 2 of squats
    March 23 - 22 mile bike ride + day 3 of squats which was a rest day
    March 24 - 5.1 miles (squat rest day)
    March 25 - 4.0 miles run with daughter! + day 5 of squat challenge.
    March 26 - 34 mile bike ride + day 6 of squats.
    March 27 - 6 miles with daughter. Easter Sunrise run. day 7 of squats is rest.
    March 28 - travel day
    March 29 - 5.5 miles in the hills for Virginia
    March 30 - 4.3 miles in the cold hills of Virginia

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Do your cookies always match your shoes?

Not on the way out...unless it's muddy.

I have 3 pair hidden, all the same color. So if DH notices chances are he'll think they are the same shoe. Which I have a pair of Newton boco trail in 8.5 I can not do if anyone is interested. You can have'em for shipping.

Not that I'm hiding spending money on shoes. He'll just be on to me if he realizes I have squirrelled enough money for random shoe therapy to start asking questions. The innov8 were a find.

@Elise4270 - Tell me more about these Newton shoes. I've been on the hunt for some new trail shoes (read: trail shoes, since i've previously done trails in my old road shoes). Do they fit normally? I can't do anything on the narrow side. I like a wide toe box, but need a normal to narrow heel. If you think they might fit the bill, I'm interested in taking them off your hands!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was going to run today (first run post marathon), but life has gotten in the way. Had to get my husband from the airport and drop him at home over lunch before heading back to work. Plus it's been raining and is supposed to continue all night.

Oh well. I'm dealing with some pain in my ankle atm anyway, so it's probably all for the best. Aiming for a run on Friday.

So, I guess that means I'm done for the month. Total mileage was 73 miles of a 100 mile goal. I'm pretty happy with that, considering I haven't run since the 20th. :smile:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim - Yeah, after I posted I realized that you were probably referring to the 2018 qualifying window. Good luck on the BQ! There was speculation with the large 2016 cutoff that the targets would get faster, but who knows. Maybe 2017 will have little enough demand that the cutoff goes down and the the 2018 targets stay the same.

I know a couple of people who double BQ'd for 2016 and 2017 at Rochester 2015, but it's not a flat course and probably not the best choice if you're close to the edge of qualifying or not. I'll be running Rochester 2016, but I expect by then I will have re-qualified for 2017 at Boston 2016.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/11: Rest day
    3/12: 5.6 miles (2.5 mile warm up and 5k race)
    3/13: 18 miles
    3/14: Impromptu rest day
    3/15: 6 miles (am), 8 miles (pm)
    3/16: 10 miles (am), 7 miles with Wednesday crew (pm)
    3/17: DC mini-vacation
    3/18: DC mini-vacation
    3/19: 7.2 miles
    3/20: 20 birthday miles!
    3/21: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/22: Rest day!
    3/23: 10 miles (am), 6 miles (pm)
    3/24: 8 miles speedwork (am), 6.1 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/25: 1 mile, 3 pairs of shorts!
    3/26: 8 miles - NJM course preview!
    3/27: 16 miles w/ 4 at HMP/MP tempo
    3/28: 5.8 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/29: Rest day!
    3/30: 10 miles speedwork

Thank goodness for speedwork! I have been super phlegmy with all this pollen in the air, so it was good to hack it out on my run today! Since I'm only doing one run today (!!!!) I decided to do a negative split practice, which I haven't done since my last cutback week at the end of February. I did the first 5 miles in 39:13 (7:51 pace) and the second 5 miles in 38:17 (7:42 pace). Somehow I managed to run mostly west and east, but against the wind the whole way... good practice for windy conditions on Sunday, I suppose! Wore my race shorts, and they made me feel super fast :)

Two things that could have made the run go better:
    1) Not eating a picky bar 30 mins before. I usually eat a bowl of oatmeal or something before a long run, but not before speedwork. Good to remember... I'll have to make sure I eat breakfast well before my race on Sunday because eating so close to running fast today made me feel kinda blah starting 3 miles in, and I'd prefer not to feel stomach crampy during 13.1 long ones!
    2) Dodging an oblivious pedestrian (barely made it between him and the sidewalk bench unscathed!) and then some felled construction barrels with caution tape strung between them. I probably haven't hydrated enough, so when I had to dodge out the way, my toes cramped something fierce. I'll have to remember: no sudden movements during the race!

exercise.png
    ^^Good thing March has one more day, huh? ;)

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K: New PR! 21:55
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    4/16: River Horse 6K (Ewing, NJ)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    A short 2.19 miles to round off the month as per my plan of shorter and easier runs after pushing myself at Club on Mondays. I'll need to make next months goal a conservative one as I'm off on holiday on Saturday so won't be getting much running in at all next week as i'll be on the slopes in Austria skiing. :smile:

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- work late, DOMS, rain
    8---work late, headache, rain
    9---6.61cramps
    10---5.05 cramps
    11---5.41
    12---7.33
    13---worked, slept
    14---2.3 walk, biked 9
    15---7.23 easy
    16,17---eat days
    18---travel/crazy day
    19---5k turned out to be 2.85miles, about 0.5k short. So no PR. 
    20---13.4 RNR half 2:20:47
    21---5.01 recovery run/walk
    22---DOMs
    23---3.16
    24---druged
    25---5.28
    26---5.74 fast group run
    27---3.3 park walk
    28---7.00
    29---5.00 new Merrell's
    30---3.61 new inov8's.
    31--- ???

118.73miles/150

Upcoming races:

04/24/16 OKC Memorial Half
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  481.54/ 2016
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 - I'll be curious to hear about those Nike's. They have been next on my list to try when I find a pair of the new ones.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I was going to run today (first run post marathon), but life has gotten in the way. Had to get my husband from the airport and drop him at home over lunch before heading back to work. Plus it's been raining and is supposed to continue all night.

Oh well. I'm dealing with some pain in my ankle atm anyway, so it's probably all for the best. Aiming for a run on Friday.

So, I guess that means I'm done for the month. Total mileage was 73 miles of a 100 mile goal. I'm pretty happy with that, considering I haven't run since the 20th. :smile:

You made some great mileage! And your first full! I sent you a PM on the shoes.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Virtual vs "real" I have done both and I find that I'm faster in a "real" race. I know I'm guaranteed a medal in a virtual race so the pressure is off LOL Most of the time in a "real" race I get to the first mile and when they call out a time I'm like holy Sh** who is that for because I never run that fast in my daily runs.
    @becky71_cm don't worry about all the science people here just enjoy the friendship and the run. Honestly I just scan over all the science, if I have a specific question I'll ask, but besides that it's too much for my little brain to think about
    @elise4270 free race woohoo! Love the new shoes and the cookies
    @janeknoll1 awesome!!!!

Poor Skip called today to come get her from school. Must be a bit of a stomach virus. Her only concern is the weekend, meet on Saturday, 5K run with friends on Sunday and meets on Monday and Tuesday. She's got herself a boyfriend it seems (first one) I told her boys have cooties and that is why she's sick now. :smile:

Oooo... I like that. I have to remember that for when Em get's one of those.
    Then I can go all out Focker on the boy for making my little girl sick. bwaaa hahahahaha

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

2/3........5k
    4/3........5k
    6/3........7k
    9/3........5k
    11/3......5k
    13/3......8k
    15/3......5k
    20/3......9k
    23/3......5k
    25/3......5k
    28/3......10k
    30/3.......4k

Today's random thoughts from running
    Annoyed... My running app turned itself off halfway through my run. So I stopped 1k short. Now feeling quite negative about it all, every twinge is a potential injury and my April plan is too much.

Today's random thoughts from reading the comments
    I don't really have much interest in races /particular times so the idea of tempo runs etc has never interested me. But the idea of a long run being 90min and normal runs being no more than 60min and the 33% rule is really useful.

Jan 45k
    Feb 61k
    Mar 73k

Goals for March:
    1. 13 runs @ 74km......12 run at 73k
    2. 8km long run...........10k
    3. Be less slow............I am double less slow.

So March is done, I am giving myself 2/3 on my goals.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Mar 01      3.7      3.7
    Mar 02      3.8T     7.5
    Mar 04      3.8     11.3
    Mar 08      4.1T    15.4
    Mar 10      5.1     20.5
    Mar 12      6.5     27.0
    Mar 13      5.1     32.1
    Mar 15      3.5T    35.6 Hills, L8, 6.5MPH, 30+
    Mar 17      4.0T    39.6 Hills, L10, 6.5MPH, 35+
    Mar 19      6.5     46.1+
    Mar 20      3.0     49.1
    Mar 22      4.5T    53.6 QS 6.5-7.0, 42m
    Mar 24      5.1T    58.7 QS 6.5-7.0, 46m
    Mar 25      6.4     65.1
    Mar 26      7.1     72.2
    Mar 28      5.2T    77.4 QS 6.5-7.0, 46m
    Mar 30      3.7     81.1

exercise.png

BOOM. Hit the goal for March. Congratulations to all Challengers!! See you in April!!
  • lloydwells66
    lloydwells66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Nice job @vandinem!
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    I was able to do my first 30 min non stop run this morning. I am slow but that's ok with me. I started running on my 62nd birthday month in January having been overweight and out of shape almost my whole adult life...proving you are never to old to try! Now I am at my goal weight with 71 lbs gone. This is so I can run/walk the 5k in the Ottawa Race weekend at the end of May. I need 2 days between runs but I swim and walk and do Tai Chi and Aqua strength training in between. I have to keep active to help maintain good blood sugar control with my Type 2 diabetes and I think I am doing it. I challenge myself to run and I don't mind that I run at 4.9 or 5.0 lol. To me it's a miracle I can even run!!

Congrats!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Last run of the month is tomorrow. Hoping to end with a strong 4 miler.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Looks like I have a 46.4 miler tomorrow! JK. Not quite up to that level. YET. Training got derailed due to a Mexican cruise. So worth it! Next month(s) will be on point though. Dozen races coming up. Time to grind.
    March total: 103.6/150mi
    Longest run of the month: 20.0mi