Help with boyfriends logic

Options

Replies

• King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    I've been eating 1200 (on days if no exercise) calories for the past few weeks. I do eat back calories lost, though. I changed the macro percentages to match a different diet, but I've had tons of energy and find myself waking up easier in the morning than ever. I do indeed lead a sedentary lifestyle though where I sit in a chair for 16 hours out of a day between work and school.

I would just change it to lightly active for his lifestyle, but other than that, there is nothing horrible about 1200. In general, adult men only need 1200-1300 at a minimum (not calculating in any factors). However, 1800 is probably a more healthy limit.

This is a big NO on the 1200 - 1300 calories for a man.

Men in general are hardheaded. Today is my 15th anniversary so I think I can say I know this by experience.

Wait for the crash and burn, wait for the complaints on not having enough energy, having brain fog, tired, perhaps getting cold symptoms, etc... It will happen, it will take a while but it will.

When this happens you can be RIGHT, but for now, just let it be.

I guess the scientific journals I read are wrong then. Well poo, let me message them and tell them to correct it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1200 (on days if no exercise) calories for the past few weeks. I do eat back calories lost, though. I changed the macro percentages to match a different diet, but I've had tons of energy and find myself waking up easier in the morning than ever. I do indeed lead a sedentary lifestyle though where I sit in a chair for 16 hours out of a day between work and school.

I would just change it to lightly active for his lifestyle, but other than that, there is nothing horrible about 1200. In general, adult men only need 1200-1300 at a minimum (not calculating in any factors). However, 1800 is probably a more healthy limit.

Men in general are hardheaded. Today is my 15th anniversary so I think I can say I know this by experience.

Wait for the crash and burn, wait for the complaints on not having enough energy, having brain fog, tired, perhaps getting cold symptoms, etc... It will happen, it will take a while but it will.

I guess the scientific journals I read are wrong then. Well poo, let me message them and tell them to correct it.

Solid passive aggression. Bravo.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Post up. What scientific journal says that 1200 is sufficient for an adult male?
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If it's not broken, why try to fix it?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I tried telling him that since his activity level isn't correct on MFP that he isn't getting a correct amount. Am I right about this?

Does it matter? He's a man. Let him fail on his own. Lead by example, live your own life, and offer suggestions and advice if he asks for it. Otherwise, let him make his own mistakes and learn from them.

I have this attitude in general about people. I try to offer advice, but if they don't want it, I'm not going to waste my time trying to persuade them to listen to me. Just let him do what he thinks is right and if it doesn't work, then maybe he'll consider changing what he's doing or asking for your input.

I can understand that about people in general but someone you are in a relationship with?

If I was going down a road that my spouse had concerns about I wouldn't want her to keep them to herself. I would much rather she said "Michael, you are being idiotic. Stop being idiotic." I might disagree with her and ultimately I would hope she would respect what I wanted to do if I was determined to do it. What I wouldn't want is her silence.
  • King_Spicy
    edited March 2016
    Options

Post up. What scientific journal says that 1200 is sufficient for an adult male?

I believe it all stemmed from an old Harvard research. Their newest research as of last year states 1500 calories minimum. Touche mister. You bested me with those 200-300 calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I've been reading through post daily and im sure i have a pretty good understanding of how things work when it comes to activity level and how MFP translate to burned calories that are synced from my UP2.

Now my boyfriend, who is 5'9" and weighs about 180ish has a very active job, he is a car tech and is pretty much running around all day where as i have a desk job and sit for 10 hours a day working. He has his MFP set as sedentary so and then manually changed his calories to 1200.. i know i know the least amount for a male is 1500. I did get on him about this how its not healthy but he likes the pace he is losing so seeing those quick results has him stuck on staying at 1200.

He doesn't have anything synced to MFP but will add exercise of "walking at a brisk pace" for 6 hours and that gives him about 1,100 extra calories, which i know MFP over estimates also.

I tried telling him that since his activity level isn't correct on MFP that he isn't getting a correct amount. Am I right about this?

Also, since he is so active all day, every day, wouldn't his body be used to this activity so would that be part of his usual TDEE?

He isn't using MFP correctly. He should choose the appropriate daily activity level to account for his job and log any actual exercise beyond that. He shouldn't be aiming to eat less than 1500 calories. He should be eating some exercise calories. He probably isn't logging food or calorie burns accurately though. He might as well not use MFP at all.
    Is he losing more than 1-2 lbs a week? If he is, then he could be risking his health to continue his method. If he is losing 2 lbs or less a week then he is probably fine with his haphazard method for now. He'll probably get stuck and need to be more accurate at some point.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

Does it matter? He's a man. Let him fail on his own. Lead by example, live your own life, and offer suggestions and advice if he asks for it. Otherwise, let him make his own mistakes and learn from them.

I have this attitude in general about people. I try to offer advice, but if they don't want it, I'm not going to waste my time trying to persuade them to listen to me. Just let him do what he thinks is right and if it doesn't work, then maybe he'll consider changing what he's doing or asking for your input.

I can understand that about people in general but someone you are in a relationship with?

If I was going down a road that my spouse had concerns about I wouldn't want her to keep them to herself. I would much rather she said "Michael, you are being idiotic. Stop being idiotic." I might disagree with her and ultimately I would hope she would respect what I wanted to do if I was determined to do it. What I wouldn't want is her silence.

she already told him and he wants to do what he wants to do anyway.

"I tried telling him that since his activity level isn't correct on MFP that he isn't getting a correct amount. Am I right about this?"

I'm assuming she made this thread as a means of saying "see, i'm right, you're wrong!" to him later on.

I had to adapt this approach with my boyfriend numerous times and it's always worked out. He listens to what i have to say, but he is incapable of taking my word for it. He must fail on his own in order to learn.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    If he's happy with his results, leave him alone.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options

+1
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    For some reason MFP isn't letting me quote but...

You can be happy or right you pick.

People don't learn until they fail or succeed.

If I could quote it would be these two statements, you can't change anyone else's mind. The beauty and agony of freewill...
  • msf74
    Options

I'm assuming she made this thread as a means of saying "see, i'm right, you're wrong!" to him later on.

Why would you assume that rather than say she wants to get the position clear in her own mind so she can present it to her boyfriend clearly and rationally at a later date? Such an approach has been known to work with me once I get off my emotional high horse...

I'm not saying there is a right way to deal with this but not having an ongoing conversation about an important matter seems a little counter productive to me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like stacking up my "HAH I was right!" moments. They come in handy later on.

Why not wait until he has a dizzy spell or something and then point him to the information? Like a TDEE calculator.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I believe it all stemmed from an old Harvard research. Their newest research as of last year states 1500 calories minimum. Touche mister. You bested me with those 200-300 calories.

At least you don't have to passive-aggressively message all those scientific journals to correct it, they already did. At least 10 years ago it seems from a quick google search.

And that is for someone who is sedentary, 1500 won't cut it for someone active.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

At least you don't have to passive-aggressively message all those scientific journals to correct it, they already did. At least 10 years ago it seems from a quick google search.

Heck I eat that on a cut in the winter when I am only lifting and random movement...

Summer cuts are usually 1800-2200...female...43...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

1500 is the bare minimum for sedentary. My boyfriend started experiencing low t, low energy, being cold all the time, *kitten* mood and depression from eating less than 1,800 for a few months on end.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I've been reading through post daily and im sure i have a pretty good understanding of how things work when it comes to activity level and how MFP translate to burned calories that are synced from my UP2.

Now my boyfriend, who is 5'9" and weighs about 180ish has a very active job, he is a car tech and is pretty much running around all day where as i have a desk job and sit for 10 hours a day working. He has his MFP set as sedentary so and then manually changed his calories to 1200.. i know i know the least amount for a male is 1500. I did get on him about this how its not healthy but he likes the pace he is losing so seeing those quick results has him stuck on staying at 1200.

He doesn't have anything synced to MFP but will add exercise of "walking at a brisk pace" for 6 hours and that gives him about 1,100 extra calories, which i know MFP over estimates also.

Also, since he is so active all day, every day, wouldn't his body be used to this activity so would that be part of his usual TDEE?

He's losing weight at a decent pace and has his calories set too low, anyway, right? Leave him alone.
  • King_Spicy
    Options

correct. I was talking about sedentary. I already stated no factors played in.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    How much is he losing per a week? You can tell him that losing too fast, in his case over 1 lb a week, will mean a lot of muscle loss.

As others have said, he probably isn't logging right. Only 1200 calories and being very active for 6 hrs would mean his net calories would be close to zero.
  • msf74
    Options
    damasceno2 wrote: »

not sure if srs...

Although it does fit in with the theme of this thread rather nicely.