Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

I bet it is more than rosemary getting so many to 100+

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
edited March 2016 in Debate Club
news-medical.net/news/20160330/Researchers-to-study-people-over-100-years-old-in-Acciaroli-Italy-to-unlock-secrets-of-healthy-aging.aspx

See see pockets like this around the world. A study for several of these 100+ groups might find common factors.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Thanks lemurcat for those cool links. That was the more the lifestyle way I grew up.
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

@senecarr who knows? That is not a subject of this thread. It is about places in the world where people live to be over 100 around the world.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

@senecarr who knows? That is not a subject of this thread. It is about places in the world where people live to be over 100 around the world.

Bluezones are the places where centenarians are common. Can I discuss centenarians, or only people that live to be over 100?
  • GaleHawkins
    edited March 2016
    Options

Bluezones are the places where centenarians are common. Can I discuss centenarians, or only people that live to be over 100?

To keep it simple let us just think of 100+ meaning 100, 101, 102, etc. :)

Blue zones are new to me but I have never hear of keto being associated with bluezones any where in the world. Clean living and clean eating seems to be the thread that runs through most of them. Keto diets seem to be aimed at resolving health issues stemming from non clean living and/or eating.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I want to live that long. My grandma just turned 95. She is physically healthy but her mind is gone. Her husband has died along with all her friends. She doesn't recognize her children or grandchildren.

In my opinion she is alive because of her genetics and not because of how she ate. For the last 3 years she has been eating 3-4 pieces of cheesecake a day. My parents buy big platters from Costco every week for her. The interesting part is that she has had weight issues my whole life. Always dieting and up and down on the scale. Now she's burns a ton of calories and is almost underweight despite all the cheesecake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Genetics plays a big part. Average age of death in my family is late 80's. My mom is turning 90 next week. My dad is younger at 83 and his dad passed away at 87. Several other family members who have passed on were late 80's. And the elders didn't really exercise. One thing I did notice though is that they were all still very active (doing senior citizen trips, events, etc.). They didn't just stay at home.
    I will say that in my front yard, I have 4 rosemary bushes and people ask all the time if they can lop off a branch.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I am not sure I want to live that long. My grandma just turned 95. She is physically healthy but her mind is gone. Her husband has died along with all her friends. She doesn't recognize her children or grandchildren.

In my opinion she is alive because of her genetics and not because of how she ate. For the last 3 years she has been eating 3-4 pieces of cheesecake a day. My parents buy big platters from Costco every week for her. The interesting part is that she has had weight issues my whole life. Always dieting and up and down on the scale. Now she's burns a ton of calories and is almost underweight despite all the cheesecake.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I practice IF because of the promising research coming out about IF and longevity of life, but now I'm starting to question myself-do I actually want to live past my 80s? By then my husband will most likely be gone, my family will be gone or declining (except my kids/grandkids and at that point interacting with them will be limited), friends gone, no goals really to work towards etc. Most people in my family live to be in their 80s. I don't know that it's a bad thing?

My husband's 86 year old grandmother passed away recently and her life was pretty crappy at that point, living in a nursing home and working on puzzles all day. She actually made the decision to go off of medications/go into hospice because she'd was ready to move on. She flat out told us she was bored out of her mind and didn't want to hang out around here anymore :p
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Lots of people know. The answer is "none of them"

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    A common thread that I see evolving as one requirement for longevity is a reason to live is a must.

This is true is for any animal.

Another common thread is staying mentally and physically active like following the news, traveling, lawn care, etc.

Also being financially independent seems to be key so one can travel and have other options like staying at home vs. nursing home as long as possible

Since Alzheimer's is referred to by some as Type 3 Diabetes we can assume diet is one factor in developing/preventing that mental health risk.

My father in law passed at 93 but at 93 he had been out on the tractor bush hogging around fields and he was very alert mentally. Having lived the last 15 years alone did take a toll on him. A mental state that is looking forward to the next day or around the next curve is I expect an absolute requirement to make it to 100+.

When I invite people to my 110th birthday bash I make sure they are 30 years younger than I am. I had to change my Way Of Eating when I realized it was without question leading to my premature death. Helping younger people I find is a driving force both physically and mentally helpful. Having two teenage children when 65 helps with that focus.

It takes both a somewhat physically active body and a mentally active mind with a purpose to live to make it pass 100 with meaning seems to be a summary of thoughts here as I read them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

the irony in your response is strong...
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    A common thread that I see evolving as one requirement for longevity is a reason to live is a must.

Another common thread is staying mentally and physically active like following the news, traveling, lawn care, etc.

So maybe it is about the rosemary... ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

So maybe it is about the rosemary... ;)

Rosemary might be of value if it does nothing more that tigger epigenetics in a positive was as a posebno. I will read as to what rosemary is since I have never tried it or seen it.

I do know rosemary was not mentioned in other locations with several people making it to 100+.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You mean rosemary the herb? Dunno about longevity, but it's great on lamb and grows easily.

(Also fits in with parsley, sage, and thyme, of course.)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266370.php

WOW! I can not believe I have never worked with it before and see it does have side effects to be aware. Will read up on it.

Has anyone realized health benefits personally from rosemary supplements?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    medicalnewstoday.com/articles/266370.php

WOW! I can not believe I have never worked with it before and see it does have side effects to be aware. Will read up on it.

Has anyone realized health benefits personally from rosemary supplements?

I'm not sure why your mind would go to rosemary supplements . . . the people in the area discussed eat their rosemary as part of their meals. It's a delicious herb and a great addition to many meals (people like it on meat, I frequently add it to roasted vegetables and soups).
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @janejellyroll I just heard of it yesterday and it seems to take some effort to grow per the link below. I may be able to find a fresh source when I look.

Do you just use rosemary for flavor or for specific medical reasons or both? I see how it can be good for living better and longer without Rx from the doctor to do the same thing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll I just heard of it yesterday and it seems to take some effort to grow per the link below. I may be able to find a fresh source when I look.

Do you just use rosemary for flavor or for specific medical reasons or both? I see how it can be good for living better and longer without Rx from the doctor to do the same thing.

I'm not sure where you live, but it is very easy to buy fresh where I am. I buy it at my regular grocery store in the herb section.

I just eat it because I love the taste. I didn't even know about the potential benefits until this morning.