Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options
Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not for me, I make it fit into my allotment for the day.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those things, just less of them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've heard it too, but I didn't listen :#
  • Hjaye7512
    Hjaye7512 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would say and it's just from my experience alone only that it's always easier to drop the weight without carbs etc( Atkins and whole 30 lost 80lbs) but maintaining was the hard part..
    I gained it all back when I added carbs back in, and started binging when I tried to do low carb again so I started WW and lost 17lbs in 2 months and now this because I wanted to start counting my fruits and veggies etc..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat bread...I like sandwiches...potatoes and other starches and grains are also staples of my diet. Believe it or not, carbs aren't the enemy. I dropped a good 40 Lbs eating my sammiches and potatoes.

By the by, you might want to actually look at the nutritional profile of a potato...it's pretty bomb. It is very high in vitamin C and blows a banana away in the potassium department. It also has a pretty nice amino profile.

The potato hate has got to go...demonizing whole foods is ridiculous.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any of those foods. If I want it I make it fit.
  • paigeross27
    paigeross27 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is eager to drop the weight fast but me not so much. Of course that would be great if I did but I know my personality and I can't give up to much. I can definitely cut down but it's difficult to give it up altogether. Some argue it's not about the foods you eat but rather as long as there is a deficit in your calorie intake and some even argue it's all about calories and not carbs. Ugh so confusing.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay under your calorie goal each day.

However, carb-y foods can tend to make you hungrier again faster, whereas fatty and protein-y foods are more satiating for longer. So people tend to eat more in general when taking in a lot of carbs, putting them over their calorie goals, making their weight loss slow or cease. But if you can control yourself and not go over even though you might feel hungry, then you can eat carb-y things for every meal.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    It's actually very simple, it's about calories in and calories out.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It's all about the calorie deficit for weight loss, but there are many paths to that. Use the method that suits your lifestyle, and you're more likely to stick to it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    No. I ate whole wheat pita bread I made myself last night.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I eat all of those things regularly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is eager to drop the weight fast but me not so much. Of course that would be great if I did but I know my personality and I can't give up to much. I can definitely cut down but it's difficult to give it up altogether. Some argue it's not about the foods you eat but rather as long as there is a deficit in your calorie intake and some even argue it's all about calories and not carbs. Ugh so confusing.

It's not confusing, it's science. A calorie is a unit of energy...your body requires XXXX amount of energy to function optimally...the vast majority of your energy requirements come from you simply being alive...then you have your day to day stuff that expends more energy and finally exercise which is a nominal expenditure relative to everything else for most people.

When you eat a balance of energy you maintain weight...your body is in homeostasis. When you consume more energy than you need, that energy is stored as body fat...this is basically your backup generator. When you consume less energy than your body needs, that back up generator kicks on and you burn stored energy (fat) to make up the difference.

It's all pretty simple when you let go of the woo.
  • queenliz99
    edited March 2016
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay under your calorie goal each day.

However, carb-y foods can tend to make you hungrier again faster, whereas fatty and protein-y foods are more satiating for longer. So people tend to eat more in general when taking in a lot of carbs, putting them over their calorie goals, making their weight loss slow or cease. But if you can control yourself and not go over even though you might feel hungry, then you can eat carb-y things for every meal.

Maybe for some people but carbs make me full. A nice balanced macro for me and I'm as happy as can be.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut any of that stuff out, but I do think about it when meal planning. If I decide that there's going to be bread, then I have to figure out if I want to use some of my calories for that day on bread. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I do weigh and log it. I could never completely give up good crusty bread. Or potatoes. No way.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of rice or pasta but bread I do eat. I eat Natures Own double fiber wheat. It's very low cal per slice. I don't eat it daily but it's my go to. I won't limit myself on anything I want. It's all about what you eat for the whole day and not just one meal. Bread at every single meal might be too much but in moderation no it isn't. Start measuring and weighing your foods. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

None of those things will prevent weight loss if a person is in a calorie deficit. I see no reason to avoid them if a person is not allergic or has some doctor diagnosed intolerance.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    uddv5w8izd0e.jpg

I don't eat bread very often. Partially because I used to be insulin resistant (got rid of that!), and I got into the habit of avoiding carbs. When I do avoid bread it's because of the calories. For example, a Jimmy Johns ultimate porker sandwhich with bread and mayo has 750 calories. If you have it wrapped in lettuce and cut the mayo it goes down to 230 and is still a pretty tasty and filling meal. That makes a huge difference in staying in my calorie range.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Couldn't disagree more. I've lost 35# so far and haven't eliminated a single food group. I roughly aim to have ~50% of my calories from carbs. I don't pay much attention to that though, just calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid it, but it doesn't fit into my day well. I prefer to eat high volume so I typically skip on bread and pasta, I will have it if I want though or if I'm in the need for a higher carb day.