Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Chicken sandwiches, pasta, pizza, rolls with my soup; down 30 lbs since Christmas. My macros are around 40-35-25.
  • pandapoo619
    pandapoo619 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have started adding the "bad foods" to my tracking at the beginning of the day and working around it. Most of the time I find that looking at the numbers helps me to determine it the bread/potatoes/noodles are worth it! Sometime yes, sometimes no! I am Italian so pasta is pretty much a food group for me...lol....but you look and some pastas are better than other and I make the adjustments.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Something I noticed when I started this journey was if I eat bread, even low-calorie bread, I would gain weight even if I kept my calorie count within my goal. I don't have any scientific research to back this, just personal experience. I now use English muffins as my source for bread. I still eat an occasional baked potato but without all the toppings except 1TBS of butter. I am totally staying away from pasta and when I do eat rice, I limit it to 1/2 a cup and mix it with lots of veggies. The thing is, I love 'exotic' breads and could eat my weight (that's a lot!) in both breads and pastas if I allowed myself to do so. That's part of what got me where I am today. The way I look at it is it's worth giving up the bread and pasta to become a healthier me. I'm not depriving myself of anything...I just know I am more accountable for what I put in my body these days.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Something I noticed when I started this journey was if I eat bread, even low-calorie bread, I would gain weight even if I kept my calorie count within my goal. I don't have any scientific research to back this, just personal experience. I now use English muffins as my source for bread. I still eat an occasional baked potato but without all the toppings except 1TBS of butter. I am totally staying away from pasta and when I do eat rice, I limit it to 1/2 a cup and mix it with lots of veggies. The thing is, I love 'exotic' breads and could eat my weight (that's a lot!) in both breads and pastas if I allowed myself to do so. That's part of what got me where I am today. The way I look at it is it's worth giving up the bread and pasta to become a healthier me. I'm not depriving myself of anything...I just know I am more accountable for what I put in my body these days.

Nope... this is not how it works. You can't count normal daily weight fluctuations as 'gaining weight' either. It takes 3500 calories to gain one pound of fat. Daily fluctuations are typically due to water as long as you're eating at a deficit...
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options

...is that 1TBS or TSP (teaspoon) on 1 potatoe?
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: if you are cutting out a particular food or food group that you plan to reintroduce to your diet once you hit your goal weight, your diet is probably doomed before it starts. Focus instead on adopting a healthier relationship with food.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. Too many calories are!

If you watch your calories... then carbs are automatically limited, without having to remove them completely from your diet.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Not avoiding it per se, but I'm shifting my proportions to half of the plate being veggies, with 1/4 starchy carbs. So I just have to watch how much of it I eat.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Avoid bread? Hahahahahahaha. Nope, not gonna happen. I eat bread daily. I also eat pasta, rice, potatoes, and pizza on a regular basis. I've lost 18lbs since January. So no, I'm not avoiding bread, I'm just making sure everything fits in my daily allowance.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid any foods.. if it fits in my macros I eat it! Weight loss journey has been awesome and I don't deny myself any foods. It's a lifestyle I can live with forever!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

That's really interesting: English muffins contain the very same ingredients as bread (I've made both at home).

(Edited for minor typo.)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Nope, eat bread daily and sometimes 3 times a day. I have lost 26 pounds so far.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nope, I really like bread. It isn't something that I'm willing to give up. When I was losing weight, I would often eat less of it (like have an open-face sandwich instead of one with two pieces of bread), but I would still have it.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have rice at least once a day! It is one of those foods that has helped me feel fuller throughout the day. The same goes with potatoes. I also have bread at least once a day and pasta one or two times a week. I have lost 45 lbs so far!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

English muffins have carbs in them ..

and if you were gaining weight when eating bread you were not in a calorie deficit. Bread does not make one defy the laws of math and physics....
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I still like bread a lot but have cut back. One slice of wheat toast a day, and no sandwiches, although I do wraps. I probably miss good bread more than sweets.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat bread basically every day... also rice/potato or pasta are part of almost every dinner I prepare. Pasta dishes are my favorite :D And yes, I'm loosing weight 1lbs a week steady! There is no evil food! But kitchen scale and portion control are the key to success! ;)
  • makeller12
    makeller12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have 2 slices of tasted Fiber One bread (100 cals) with 1/4 cup of low fat Ricotta cheese (50) with a cup of strawberries or another low calorie fruit at about 50 calories - great breakfast for 200 calories.
  • makeller12
    makeller12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    should be "toasted" bread
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love french toast, bagels, english muffins, scones and butter-slathered baked potatoes too much to ever give them up. So I work with them within my caloric limits.

Having said that, I went from having all that stuff on a WEEKLY basis to only 1-2x a month. Actually, now that I say that, I want to say it has been a couple months since I made french toast.

May have to take a nice long 9-mile walk tomorrow in order to have some!