Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Nope, eat bread daily and sometimes 3 times a day. I have lost 26 pounds so far.

What? Please give us a day example because maybe its just me that i haven't figure out how to fit bread in my daily plan!

How do you make anything fit in your plan? I'm perplexed by this question. Some people pre-log their entire day in advance. Other people (like me) log a particular meal right before they eat it. I'm sure there are other strategies. So make bread fit into your plan the same way you make strawberries or bacon fit into your plan.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    joepharaoh wrote: »
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Gluten free breads have come a long way but contain higher amounts of sodium.

Boy do I miss a good sandwich though!
    Regarding the bolded, seriously, I tried to get into the 35 calorie bread but it kept spoiling on me! Switched to the 88 cent plain white bread and I'm so much happier. Actually, I need it to last longer because I don't eat it that much. I store it in the drawer underneath the range, which I suppose I initially did to not eat it all up so quickly (out of sight out of mind), so maybe it worked?

Put it in the freezer, well wrapped (all air removed). It will last as long as you need it to then.

I second this advice. Since I usually toast my sliced bread anyway I'll immediately put the loaf into the freezer and just pop a piece into the toaster as needed.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It's actually very simple, it's about calories in and calories out.

So all calories are equal? I don't think it's quite that simple considering how different everyone is. There are so many reasons a "CICO" model won't work that I personally think it is bad practice to provide that, as the all powerful way to lose weight.

Yes, a calorie is a measure of energy. Food is energy. It doesn't matter where it comes from. Why is CICO bad practice when it is scientifically proven?
    Why are you doubting successful weight loss individuals?

Nutrition wise, calories are not equal. Weight loss wise, they are.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @JaneiR36 Just store it in the freezer, it'll last practically forever. Microwaving it before eating will make it soft and doughy again.
    I stopped buying it only because I can't control myself around it. Same goes for cereal.

Ah yes cereal, it's my kriptonyte.. I would rather go without then have that irresistible box of heaven sitting in my pantry.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

Education about weight loss. And bread is the *kitten*!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Regarding the bolded, seriously, I tried to get into the 35 calorie bread but it kept spoiling on me! Switched to the 88 cent plain white bread and I'm so much happier. Actually, I need it to last longer because I don't eat it that much. I store it in the drawer underneath the range, which I suppose I initially did to not eat it all up so quickly (out of sight out of mind), so maybe it worked?

Put it in the freezer, well wrapped (all air removed). It will last as long as you need it to then.

I second this advice. Since I usually toast my sliced bread anyway I'll immediately put the loaf into the freezer and just pop a piece into the toaster as needed.

Wouldn't the slices stick together?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Log splitter
  • Christine_72
    Options

Sometimes they do. You just have to be very gentle when pulling them apart, there's an art to it :lol:
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Sometimes they do. You just have to be very gentle when pulling them apart, there's an art to it :lol:

A big effin' knife, I believe! Just don't run with it!
  • Christine_72
    Options

Haha. Yes, that'll work too.

I have forever stored bread and wraps in the freezer, as I've never been a big bread eater, a loaf will last me over 6mths, and obviously it will go off if I leave it sitting out.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=L2dtXlOuTMs

I posted this on another thread a couple of days ago: a neat trick from Jacques Pepin so you can halve your bread and eat it too...

I've been doing this every couple of days, and making sandwiches. Works nicely. The first day, I put a slice of pepper jack cheese between the two toasted sides and grilled the "raw" sides. That also worked out nicely!

And for anyone interested, here's the soprano, Nellie Melba, to whom we owe this inspiration:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MmCeR9OSAw0
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut any of that stuff out, but I do think about it when meal planning. If I decide that there's going to be bread, then I have to figure out if I want to use some of my calories for that day on bread. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But I do weigh and log it. I could never completely give up good crusty bread. Or potatoes. No way.

This is what I do too. I haven't completely given it up but I know I'll be more full having protein over carbs. I gravitate toward whole grains more than the white carbs because that's what I've been eating more of the last couple of months.
  • clpensinger
    clpensinger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier to stay full by eating things other than highly processed/low fiber carbs but I occasionally have absolutely any/everything as a treat. Try cutting back for a couple days - make note of how that feels, then try a couple days working it in, see what works best for you. :-)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Yes , white bread and potatoes , lost all I wanted , -10 kg in almost 4 months , yay ! Some people can eat potatoes and bread , I was just getting fat !

What more amazing is that lots of people eat anything they want and in any quantity and never put on weight! I have one example in the family always same weight for decades eating whatever he feels and never put on a pound and no sport. So there's must be something mysterious in some of our bodies which wipes out all this calorie counting mess...maybe some unknown genetic formula? Of course I did not get that gift

The thing is with these "mythical eaters" is that you don't see what they eat when you're not around. People used to wonder the same about me- I would always have huge lunches at work. What they didn't know was that I rarely ate breakfast and dinner was always vegetables and lean protein. If we went to our christmas party at the all you can eat buffett, I ate like a pig. To my coworkers, it looked like I ate heaps- but they didn't see what I did the rest of the day, or the two weeks leading up where I "earnt" my christmas buffet.

I don't do the large lunches anymore as I prefer to bring my own and save money - I now snack more at night/after gym. People no longer question how I "stay so skinny" as the small portion of my day they see me eating, what they see me eating matches how I look.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I gave up bread and dairy too. Bread because it caused me indigestion and dairy cause my trainer advised me for digestion reasons to stay away from it for a while. I still have a bit of cheese from time to time though. Who can live without cheese!!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well, here is a day particularly high in carbs (and unfortunately low in fruits and vegetables :o ), but still under calories.

Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sat Fat
    Brownberry - Sandwich Thins Naturals- 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll (43g)
    100 22 1 5 5 0
    sargento - Muenster, 2 slice
    160 2 12 10 0 8
    Nicorette - Mint Lozenge, 20 lozenge
    60 20 0 0 0 0
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 2 tbsp(s)
    98 25 0 0 0 0
    Lunch
    Peaches, canned, light syrup pack, solids and liquids, 0.5 cup, halves or slices
    68 18 0 1 2 0
    Bob's oat bran - Oat Bran, 0.33 c.
    150 27 2 7 7 1
    Fage (Greece) 0% - Yogert, 1 cup
    130 9 0 23 0 0
    Dinner
    Morningstar Farms - Veggie Dogs, 2 dog
    100 8 1 14 0 0
    Food Club - Sauerkraut 14 oz, 0.33 container (26 tbsp. ea.)
    22 4 0 0 4 0
    Brownberry Bread - Double Fiber Correct, 2 slice
    180 42 3 8 12 0
    Sargento - Light String Cheese, 1 piece (2g)
    50 1 3 6 0 2
    Snacks
    Brownberry - Sandwich Thins Naturals- 100% Whole Wheat, 1 roll (43g)
    100 22 1 5 5 0
    Sabra Hummus Original - Hummus, 4 tablespoon
    140 8 10 4 4 2

Totals 1,358 209 33 83 39 12
    Your Daily Goal 1,370 172 46 69 21 15
    Remaining 12 -36 13 -13 -17 2
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I do try to limit them to a few times a week, but only because they tend to drag me down. They do nothing to fill me (for very long anyway) and they leave me feeling sluggish. I absolutely love them but I do a lot better sticking to more protein and non starch veggies.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I love bread. Good bread (opinions on "good" vary), and not often. This morning I made room for toast points with my ricotta chive eggs. Not worth it. It sounded better than it actually was. I usually pass on bread unless it is special, but bread is a unique category because of sandwiches. If you travel a lot for work or have to have work catered lunches, a lot of the time you are stuck with not that great sandwiches. On not that great bread. It just is. Do the best you can.

As for potatoes, rice and noodles... I often substitute for potatoes (hominy, garbanzo, carrots, etc) depending on the recipe, but if I have potatoes I'll use them. They're nutritious. I love rice, too, but I almost always substitute spinach when I make something my family eats with rice. Same for noodles. But I really like spinach. I can enjoy just about anything on a bed of spinach. I don't have a metabolic disorder (that I know of), but I do stay full longer on lower glycemic load foods.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Haha. Yes, that'll work too.

I have forever stored bread and wraps in the freezer, as I've never been a big bread eater, a loaf will last me over 6mths, and obviously it will go off if I leave it sitting out.

Cool! granted the cheapo, no hassle bread gets it done, but I like having options. Thanks for sharing, everyone!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything but I changed or reduced certain foods.

Bread... I've been baking my own for a while now. That way I know what goes in it. We've never really eaten white bread so it's usually a multi-grain, or rye bread.

I've switched from white pasta to whole wheat and from white to brown rice, and generally eat it less frequently than we used to.

We eat fewer potatoes in favour of other veg, but we still eat them in various shapes and forms (boiled, baked, mashed, roasted, wedges etc) most days.