Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,099 Member
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It's actually very simple, it's about calories in and calories out.

So all calories are equal? I don't think it's quite that simple considering how different everyone is. There are so many reasons a "CICO" model won't work that I personally think it is bad practice to provide that, as the all powerful way to lose weight.

So which is it? Calories are different or people are different?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

So all calories are equal? I don't think it's quite that simple considering how different everyone is. There are so many reasons a "CICO" model won't work that I personally think it is bad practice to provide that, as the all powerful way to lose weight.

As far as weightloss is concerned, yep they are. Even if there is debate over how much energy the body uses to digest a the source of the calories... it's nothing average joe trying to lose weight should be concerned about. Nutritionally, a calorie isn't just a calorie of course, you might not be very healthy eating 100% of your calories in chocolate, but weightloss is all about CICO. It's not a method, it's a proven scientific principle. Eat too much, you'll gain weight, eat not enough, you'll lose weight.

CICO is the rule, but there is many ways to get there, calorie counting, low carb, low fat, atkins, paeleo, etc. Just like 2+2=4, so does 5-1, 3+1, 10-6 etc.

H4N4H wrote: »
    I eat less bread, but I definitely do not hands down eliminate it.

Out of interest, why wouldn't you drop bread?
    Out of interest, why would they drop bread?
    It's readily available in most countries, cost effective, tasty, can be made at home, has been a big part of human history and can be used in so many different ways.
  • Hjaye7512
    Hjaye7512 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay under your calorie goal each day.

However, carb-y foods can tend to make you hungrier again faster, whereas fatty and protein-y foods are more satiating for longer. So people tend to eat more in general when taking in a lot of carbs, putting them over their calorie goals, making their weight loss slow or cease. But if you can control yourself and not go over even though you might feel hungry, then you can eat carb-y things for every meal.

I do think having done both diets I ate less when I had less carbs but more protein and healthy fats so valid point!

• Hjaye7512
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Nope!! I have bread every day and the others I've had through out my weight loss (121 pounds weight loss) and maintained now for 18 months. ;)

Congrats!! That's awesome
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is eager to drop the weight fast but me not so much. Of course that would be great if I did but I know my personality and I can't give up to much. I can definitely cut down but it's difficult to give it up altogether. Some argue it's not about the foods you eat but rather as long as there is a deficit in your calorie intake and some even argue it's all about calories and not carbs. Ugh so confusing.

There's 40 calorie per slice bread. ☺
    My bread has 80. Darn you tasty potato bread.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

CICO always works. You are not a special. You cannot make ingested energy disappear like a black hole, nor can you create energy out of nothing.
  • joepharaoh
    joepharaoh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Gluten free breads have come a long way but contain higher amounts of sodium.

Boy do I miss a good sandwich though!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

please provide an example of a person that eats more than they burn and loses weight...

CICO is a fact, and the nice thing about facts is they exist whether you believe them or not.

all calories provide the same unit of energy; however , they do not have the same nutritional profile.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love sandwiches too much!! Everything in moderation
  • joshdickens
    joshdickens Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bread is not evil. Your body is different from everyone else. Test it and just eat less bread, noodles, etc. Maybe you can eat more bread then someone else and still loose weight. It's simply calories in vs calories out, simple math - don't get stuck on anything else.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm not low-carb myself, but my husband is pre-diabetic so I stopped buying bread. If we have carbs in the house, it's whole grains like oats, quinoa, etc. I haven't found a 'low carb bread' that's worth buying- they all taste like a cement mixer tipped over in a grain-roasting facility. Bread is now a treat and I find I appreciate it a lot more now.

That being said, I promised myself earlier this week that if I did all my errands (including a dental appointment) I could have a bagel. I dreamed about that bagel the whole time my dentist was discussing the vile surgery that I have to have here in a couple weeks. I dreamed about it when I was standing in line at the grocery, buying fish and salad. I dreamed about it in traffic. Oh, I had that bagel so fixed in my mind that I could almost taste it- a pesto bagel slathered in the creamy creamy cream cheese...
    And then... there was NO PARKING in the bagel shop lot! I drove around for fifteen minutes trying to find a place to park and finally gave up and came home with no bagel. :( No. bagel. And I can't even whine to my husband, because he hasn't had a bagel in 6 months, and won't go within a mile of the bagel shop. (Bagels were a staple of his diet for years.)
  • Hjaye7512
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Hjaye7512 wrote: »
    I would say and it's just from my experience alone only that it's always easier to drop the weight without carbs etc( Atkins and whole 30 lost 80lbs) but maintaining was the hard part..
    I gained it all back when I added carbs back in, and started binging when I tried to do low carb again so I started WW and lost 17lbs in 2 months and now this because I wanted to start counting my fruits and veggies etc..

you gained it back because you ate in a surplus...

more than likely you lost five to ten pounds in water weight when you cut carbs and then gained another five to ten pounds back when you reintroduced carbs...

No I lost 80lbs on Atkins and my mistake was I stayed in the too low carb range for too long and didn't up my carbs slowly as I was supposed to do.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love bread, especially sourdough, but I am doing low carb at the moment in conjunction with a gym based weights program so no bread for me until I have lost 10kg :-)
  • lakurata
    lakurata Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. I don't eat grains and it helps a lot in my weight loss. It also cuts down my inflammation, so I feel much better too. It takes me forever to lose weight if I "just cut back". It allows me to lessen my sugar intake by eating very few processed foods. It's a health and weight loss decision for me.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The CICO mantra is great IF your counting and that's everyone on MFP.
    CIICO mantra folk may have missed a point with that NOT counting calories then it makes it easier for SOME to not over indulge as many have expressed this particularly folk who DO NOT count calories. Breads is a lovely food and a weakness for a lot to over indulge including myself- bread, pizza, hot cross buns etc. If I'm not calorie counting then all these things are my Achilles heel. Not everyone in this world is a disciplined MFP user surprisingly.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i don't quite avoid it,but i do eat way less of it. not everyday and not more than 2 slices. potatoes the same. i used to eat them like 5 times a week, and now i'll eat them once a week. i can't imagine life without any of them, but i can cut down on the frequency and portion size.
  • edithhernandez16
    edithhernandez16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Working at a bread place, bread was the enemy for me. haha.. I let myself gain 44 pounds working at Panera Bread. Currently have lost 22 pounds by not completely cutting off bread but cutting it to a very low consumption. Half way back to my original weight! :D
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    IMO The deficit is definitely true, but when you play with the macros, that's more like your fine tuning knob. I love bread. however I do limit it in my daily diet.

Everyone's thoughts can be different just because we all have our own individual comfort zones as far as self perception in the way we look and feel. Also some of us have fast metabolisms and others have even faster metabolisms. Than there are the slow, and moderate. Oh but let us not forget people like my brother with the "ectormorph" body type who between the ages of 5-30 could eat an entire buffet and not gain an ounce of fat. Genetics..Blah!

I can appear fit and healthy between 13-15% body fat consuming large amounts of bread, rice, and potatoes per day with my regular exercise routine. However I'm in the single digit body fat zone now and I definitely had to fine tune my carbs to take it to the next level. But that's just me. that's what makes "me" happy.

So it just depends on knowing your body, and where you want to be, but we can look fabulous in so many different ways on the fit scale. The choice is up to you, aesthetically speaking.

I haven't uploaded any recent progress pics, but they're all public on IG ( Slacker_8.0 )
  • joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting question! I have been to,d that as long as I am calorie deficient, I will lose weight and that works for me as I have lost 28 lbs! However, after that initial loss, I have been stuck at the same weight even though predictions are that I should be losing. I tried giving up bread altogether to see if it would work. I love bread and make my own at home, so it was very hard! Still eating my calories every day but no bread at all! The weight started to come off again so my experience is that being calorie deficient definitely works, when I am stuck, I take bread out to get going again.

Since eating bread again and not being so strict with calorie counting, yes, weight going back on and particularly around my tummy - seems as if I just need to keep going and stop falling for food habits that don't work? Julie
  • veroniquevampire
    veroniquevampire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i try to avoid it, cause i'm sadly very addicted to bread (and almost all of them has white flour) and if eat some i can't stop later :(