Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Oprah loves bread... loves it... :neutral:

I seem to do better without it, or limiting my intake of that and the other starchy stuff. Folks have different preferences. If I'm craving pizza or a sammich or such though, I'll make the allowances. But speaking more generally I have observed that I seem to do better when I keep away from that stuff.

But man.... potatoes are tough to walk away from...

She LOVES it. She's had it every day! lol
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

I ate all of the above and had no problem losing the weight, still eat them in maintenance with no problems :)
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question and all people told me was that they eat everything and anything that they ate before just less...if I do that tho I'll never lose weight with out working out all day
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I cut out white bread long long ago. When I started using MFP in January I didn't have bread anywhere in my diet. I added a single serving of bread to my daily plan about 10 days ago. At first it was a whole wheat tortilla with breakfast, and now it's homemade cornbread with dinner. It proved to be not a disaster. I regularly have included a serving of rice in my plan. I use brown rice at home and white rice at restaurants. I rarely have white potatoes.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bread, because I really don't like most breads. Most breads taste way too sweet, is like eating cake without frosting, gross when you've got melted cheese on it.

You can fix that with margarine and a hot griddle.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bread, because I really don't like most breads. Most breads taste way too sweet, is like eating cake without frosting, gross when you've got melted cheese on it.

You can fix that with margarine and a hot griddle.

I did this yesterday and it was amazing-Aunt Millie's Honey 7 grain bread (100 calories per slice and worth every one lol), drizzled with margarine, a garlic pepper mixture I have, and then Janes's Krazy Mixed Up Season Salt (this stuff is the BEST). Toasted them on a gridle and ate with soup-the perfect supper :)
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't avoid bread, but I definitely eat less of it than I used to before I started losing weight. I try to not eat it more than once a day when I do eat it, and I never eat it at restaurants unless it is part of my meal (as in a sandwich). I have never been a big pasta or potato eater, so that has remained the same. I do enjoy rice several times a week, typically.

As time goes on and I have become more comfortable counting calories, I have allowed myself to be a bit more flexible with my food choices. When I first started counting, I never indulged in sweets and I avoided eating out for about a month. Staying strict in the beginning gave me the confidence to know that I can stick to my calorie goal. I gradually started branching out and now there is no food that I avoid entirely, other than those things I don't like the taste of.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with ANYTHING as long as you are a careful calorie counter which most the population isn't.
    If one cuts out bread it just means a whole lot of fast food goes out the window- burgers, pizza and pastries. If you just eat a naked burger (wrapped in lettuce) you've lost half you meal. My daughter is gluten intolerant (medically verified) and which made it much harder to snack when out this then includes not only bread but also pies, donuts confectionary etc Lost a considerable amount of weight and does not count calories. Has to provide here own snacks (usually healthy) and not such an impulse buy.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,113 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    I asked a similar question and all people told me was that they eat everything and anything that they ate before just less...if I do that tho I'll never lose weight with out working out all day

How do you measure your food? Baring a medical issue, lets assume you are not insulin resistant or diabetic, it is easy to go over your calories with calorie dense food if you are not measuring it carefully. A digital kitchen scale would be the best route to go weighing foods in grams. This video illustrates this quite well.

https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with ANYTHING as long as you are a careful calorie counter which most the population isn't.
    If one cuts out bread it just means a whole lot of fast food goes out the window- burgers, pizza and pastries. If you just eat a naked burger (wrapped in lettuce) you've lost half you meal. My daughter is gluten intolerant (medically verified) and which made it much harder to snack when out this then includes not only bread but also pies, donuts confectionary etc Lost a considerable amount of weight and does not count calories. Has to provide here own snacks (usually healthy) and not such an impulse buy.

....same it you cut out FRIES/CHIPS half your fast food meal deal calories are ~halved.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

source for bread is the worse when it comes to weight loss?

I am cutting on 50% carbs right now and am down about nine pounds in 10 weeks....

unless you have medical condition or food allergy there is no reason to avoid bread/carbs....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Hjaye7512 wrote: »
    I would say and it's just from my experience alone only that it's always easier to drop the weight without carbs etc( Atkins and whole 30 lost 80lbs) but maintaining was the hard part..
    I gained it all back when I added carbs back in, and started binging when I tried to do low carb again so I started WW and lost 17lbs in 2 months and now this because I wanted to start counting my fruits and veggies etc..

you gained it back because you ate in a surplus...

more than likely you lost five to ten pounds in water weight when you cut carbs and then gained another five to ten pounds back when you reintroduced carbs...

• ndj1979
    Options
    veliia wrote: »

you will lose weight if you eat what you want and eat in a deficit...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Calories are the important part of weight loss. Second is meeting your nutritional needs and feeling satisfied.
    I look at my calorie goal first and then try to meet my protein goal. I continue to eat bread, potatoes, rice and noodles. I also eat vegetables, fruit, pizza, full fat dairy, chips, and pie and lose weight.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Oprah loves bread... loves it... :neutral:

I seem to do better without it, or limiting my intake of that and the other starchy stuff. Folks have different preferences. If I'm craving pizza or a sammich or such though, I'll make the allowances. But speaking more generally I have observed that I seem to do better when I keep away from that stuff.

But man.... potatoes are tough to walk away from...

She LOVES it. She's had it every day! lol

Haven't seen an Oprah WW commercial in a while - just saying...
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maybe I eat less of those items, but I'm pretty sure I would die if I cut them out completely. #Bread4Lyfe
  • RobynUnfiltered
    RobynUnfiltered Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Like anything else it will vary from one person to the next, but unless you have an allergy there is no good reason to avoid sensible portions of bread, rice, and pasta. Measure it, track it, and buy the most nutrient dense version you can and it should be ok as long as you are honest about portion size you will be just fine.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options

I suspect this is because you are eating bread made in the US. I was unable to eat bread when I visited there due to the horrible taste you describe above. Bread where I am from, no sugar in it, unless its meant to be sweet, like brioche or fruit bread.

I agree with others here, include things that you like in your diet, just count the calories.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Yeah it's a bit challenging to fit in bread, white rice, fries. If I can choose meat or something else more interesting, then yes I'll skip them. Prioritize.

Edit: I responded before reading AnnPT's post. My thinking is the same as hers :)
  • allstarelmo23
    allstarelmo23 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    Bread and dairy
    And honestly i dont miss them