Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I have bread daily. I ❤️ Carbs
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hjaye7512 wrote: »
    I would say and it's just from my experience alone only that it's always easier to drop the weight without carbs etc( Atkins and whole 30 lost 80lbs) but maintaining was the hard part..
    I gained it all back when I added carbs back in, and started binging when I tried to do low carb again so I started WW and lost 17lbs in 2 months and now this because I wanted to start counting my fruits and veggies etc..

Why did you gain it all back when you added carbs? Because you ate over maintenance?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Nope - Open diary.
    Bagel with peanut butter for dinner.
    Loved it !
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I don't focus on eating less bread (and butter, and nuts, and other items that are not-so-filling per calorie). Instead I focus on eating more lean proteins and green vegetables. Those are very filling per calorie, so I'm less tempted to overeat. I will eat bread, if I'm not over my carb budget for the day (170g), but I'll be less hungry later if I have carrots instead, or broccoli, or asparagus, or any other green carbs.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/fullness-factor
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000995050050000000000.html
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I love bread! Haven't dropped anything - down 55 pounds - I didn't get that memo.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat less bread, but I definitely do not hands down eliminate it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bread, because I really don't like most breads. Most breads taste way too sweet, is like eating cake without frosting, gross when you've got melted cheese on it.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Not me - I eat bread, rice and pasta regularly, and I have no plans to change that. I do pay attention to the quantities I eat though.
    (But then, I'm also not on a "journey", there is no end to this, I'm just trying to maker smarter choices each day).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay under your calorie goal each day.

However, carb-y foods can tend to make you hungrier again faster, whereas fatty and protein-y foods are more satiating for longer. So people tend to eat more in general when taking in a lot of carbs, putting them over their calorie goals, making their weight loss slow or cease. But if you can control yourself and not go over even though you might feel hungry, then you can eat carb-y things for every meal.

I would say that this would substantially depends on the individual as well as the sources of carbs. There are satiety studies that actually show just the opposite...that things like whole grains and whole food starches like potatoes actually provide for more satiety because they are high in fiber.

I would say I eat a fairly moderate to high carbohydrate diet and I'm lower on the fat end of things...because I can eat a block of cheese and still come back for the sausages and then drown all that with a pint or two of whole milk.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I significantly reduced the amount of those foods I eat, not because I think there's any magic about it, but just because they weren't giving me enough tastiness, satiation, nutrition or satisfaction for the number of calories they cost me. But that's very much an individual-preference thing. I still eat carbs, but more nutrient-dense ones, or especially tasty ones.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it, I've changed the type of bread I eat as well as the amount. Before losing weight I'd buy whatever was on offer. Then I switched to sandwich thins because they're less calories per sandwich, but they didn't hit my hunger-spot. Now I eat Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, which is so filling that I can cut one slice in half and make a sandwich that will fill me up.
    http://www.burgenbread.com/breads/soya-linseed/
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I gave up most carbs to avoid diabetes, as per doctors orders. I eat bread or a cookie as a treat occasionally, but I get my carbs primarily from fruit, vegetables and beans these days, and try to stay under 100 g and 25% of my diet.
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I eat bread...I like sandwiches...potatoes and other starches and grains are also staples of my diet. Believe it or not, carbs aren't the enemy. I dropped a good 40 Lbs eating my sammiches and potatoes.

By the by, you might want to actually look at the nutritional profile of a potato...it's pretty bomb. It is very high in vitamin C and blows a banana away in the potassium department. It also has a pretty nice amino profile.

The potato hate has got to go...demonizing whole foods is ridiculous.

I love the sounds of that. I looove potatoes.
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat bread everyday, and pasta during the week and still lose
  • GreyKnight120
    GreyKnight120 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oprah loves bread... loves it... :neutral:

I seem to do better without it, or limiting my intake of that and the other starchy stuff. Folks have different preferences. If I'm craving pizza or a sammich or such though, I'll make the allowances. But speaking more generally I have observed that I seem to do better when I keep away from that stuff.

But man.... potatoes are tough to walk away from...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope!! I have bread every day and the others I've had through out my weight loss (121 pounds weight loss) and maintained now for 18 months. ;)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you stay under your calorie goal each day.

However, carb-y foods can tend to make you hungrier again faster, whereas fatty and protein-y foods are more satiating for longer. So people tend to eat more in general when taking in a lot of carbs, putting them over their calorie goals, making their weight loss slow or cease. But if you can control yourself and not go over even though you might feel hungry, then you can eat carb-y things for every meal.

I would say that this would substantially depends on the individual as well as the sources of carbs. There are satiety studies that actually show just the opposite...that things like whole grains and whole food starches like potatoes actually provide for more satiety because they are high in fiber.

I would say I eat a fairly moderate to high carbohydrate diet and I'm lower on the fat end of things...because I can eat a block of cheese and still come back for the sausages and then drown all that with a pint or two of whole milk.
    YUM! And I would say that a bit of cheese and a bit of sausage would leave me happy for hours, but a donut would make it very challenging for me to stay within my calorie goals. A slice of whole grain bread with PB (fat and whole grain) would work GREAT for me.

I think satiety depends on the person.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of bread-- but then, I never really did before, either. I don't really miss it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No. I do watch how much of it I eat but that's the same with all my foods.....
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I switched from white bread to Nature's Own Honey Wheat, the version with reduced calories and sodium