Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

My favorite quote....that I stole from somebody here

Temporary changes = temporary results.

I'm not giving up bread for the rest of my life, so giving it up for weight loss is rather pointless. Logging portions is important for all foods.....not just diet ones.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    @Francl27 , @AnnPT77 , @ndj1979 : Ok, you all have taught me something today. This happened when I was first starting my journey and it could have been a lot of things that were contributing to my weight loss and/or my lack thereof. My nutritionist told me that English Muffins were better if I was going to eat bread at all so I took her advice. I've only been at this since January so any advice I can get is appreciated.

@6pkdreamer: I meant 1/2 tablespoon. I take a tablespoon, measured, and cut it in half.

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    I don't eat much sliced bread but I do love carbs and will lose weight eating all the things. The idea that you should cut entire food groups is ridiculous unless there is an allergy or disease in play.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    @Francl27 , @AnnPT77 , @ndj1979 : Ok, you all have taught me something today. This happened when I was first starting my journey and it could have been a lot of things that were contributing to my weight loss and/or my lack thereof. My nutritionist told me that English Muffins were better if I was going to eat bread at all so I took her advice. I've only been at this since January so any advice I can get is appreciated.

@6pkdreamer: I meant 1/2 tablespoon. I take a tablespoon, measured, and cut it in half.

Well an English muffin is usually less calories than bread, and they have more fiber, I believe. Plus they're smaller so you'll put less stuff on them. They're tasty too anyway!
  • brigitukas00
    brigitukas00 Posts: 12 Member
    Yes , white bread and potatoes , lost all I wanted , -10 kg in almost 4 months , yay ! Some people can eat potatoes and bread , I was just getting fat !
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    henry4399 wrote: »
    I have like one slice of bread everyday for breakfast, Ezekiel 4:9 yo

Ya, bread from flour can make me sleepy or trigger cravings to eat more and more of it, which doesn't happen with sprouted bread like Ezekial/Food for Life, or my new favorite, Alvarado St Bakery. Their flax variety is only 50 calories per slice plus 2.5 g of fiber.
  • mickmgd
    mickmgd Posts: 37 Member
    I have cut bread out almost completely (occasionally I have a dinner of chicken bacon and salad pittas) but still eat lots of rice and noodles. To be fair I did not cut it out because of the bad rep it has, I simply couldn't fit it in with my calorie allowance. By the time it had a filling inside a sandwich the calorie total made it prohibitive
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    The CICO mantra is great IF your counting and that's everyone on MFP.
    CIICO mantra folk may have missed a point with that NOT counting calories then it makes it easier for SOME to not over indulge as many have expressed this particularly folk who DO NOT count calories. Breads is a lovely food and a weakness for a lot to over indulge including myself- bread, pizza, hot cross buns etc. If I'm not calorie counting then all these things are my Achilles heel. Not everyone in this world is a disciplined MFP user surprisingly.

CICO has nothing to do with counting calories, as it is a mathematical formula. counting calories is just a way to control the in side of CI...

Plenty of people lose weight without calorie counting and just be eating less....

I do not count calories but wonder if I should start in the lead up to when I will be maintaining my weight. Maintenance is that part I find the most difficult.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Yes , white bread and potatoes , lost all I wanted , -10 kg in almost 4 months , yay ! Some people can eat potatoes and bread , I was just getting fat !

What more amazing is that lots of people eat anything they want and in any quantity and never put on weight! I have one example in the family always same weight for decades eating whatever he feels and never put on a pound and no sport. So there's must be something mysterious in some of our bodies which wipes out all this calorie counting mess...maybe some unknown genetic formula? Of course I did not get that gift
  • Rit1603
    I eat bread basically every day... also rice/potato or pasta are part of almost every dinner I prepare. Pasta dishes are my favorite :D And yes, I'm loosing weight 1lbs a week steady! There is no evil food! But kitchen scale and portion control are the key to success! ;)

Just out of curiosity what is the qty you eat for pasta and bread you eat? Make an example. Thank you!
  • Rit1603
    Nope, eat bread daily and sometimes 3 times a day. I have lost 26 pounds so far.

What? Please give us a day example because maybe its just me that i haven't figure out how to fit bread in my daily plan!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    joepharaoh wrote: »
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Gluten free breads have come a long way but contain higher amounts of sodium.

Boy do I miss a good sandwich though!
    Regarding the bolded, seriously, I tried to get into the 35 calorie bread but it kept spoiling on me! Switched to the 88 cent plain white bread and I'm so much happier. Actually, I need it to last longer because I don't eat it that much. I store it in the drawer underneath the range, which I suppose I initially did to not eat it all up so quickly (out of sight out of mind), so maybe it worked?
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    joepharaoh wrote: »
    I had a lot of allergies, which I thought were seasonal related. Dropped gluten for almost 1 year now and a lot of them have either gone or are manageable.

I work in the food industry supplying all the ingredients that go into food manufacturing. Most commercially baked goods contain a lot of preservatives to help with shelf life but aren't all that healthy in large volumes.

Gluten free breads have come a long way but contain higher amounts of sodium.

Boy do I miss a good sandwich though!
    Regarding the bolded, seriously, I tried to get into the 35 calorie bread but it kept spoiling on me! Switched to the 88 cent plain white bread and I'm so much happier. Actually, I need it to last longer because I don't eat it that much. I store it in the drawer underneath the range, which I suppose I initially did to not eat it all up so quickly (out of sight out of mind), so maybe it worked?

Put it in the freezer, well wrapped (all air removed). It will last as long as you need it to then.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Nope, eat bread daily and sometimes 3 times a day. I have lost 26 pounds so far.

What? Please give us a day example because maybe its just me that i haven't figure out how to fit bread in my daily plan!

its pretty easy ..just eat bread and stay within your calorie goal....not sure why that is so hard to believe...
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    A lot of bread has generous amounts of sodium; sodium being one of my concerns, I have cut down on the amount of bread I eat; sodium will also help in retaining water, so, for a few days, the scale will read heavier than you like if you indulge in sodium. But I do like bread of all kinds very much, and have not cut out my sandwiches or my bagels once a week or so.
  • fenharels
    fenharels Posts: 12 Member
    Never—bread is convenient, delicious and filling. If I had to cut out anything starch-based, it would be pasta, simply because of the calories.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    I like my white bread and could eat it with every meal, but I have cut out bread from meals. I find that I lose more weight and that I feel fuller for longer by not eating it. My sugar levels are more stable when not eating bread.
    Everyone and everybody is different.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    I stopped buying it only because I can't control myself around it. Same goes for cereal.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?
    Bread isn't bad. Neither are potatoes, rice and noodles.
    *shrugs*

Potatoes are very nutritious. Why would you want to cut them out?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    veliia wrote: »
    I asked a similar question and all people told me was that they eat everything and anything that they ate before just less...if I do that tho I'll never lose weight with out working out all day
    Well, if the food doesn't fit in your calories and you eat it, you won't lose weight.

If you do fit all the foods in your daily calories, you will lose weight.
    Weight loss is all about the calories, not the type of foods one eats. I eat nutritious foods as well as the so called bad foods such as chocolate, icecream, breads/pastas... and, 80lbs down.