Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    I asked a similar question and all people told me was that they eat everything and anything that they ate before just less...if I do that tho I'll never lose weight with out working out all day

I eat everything I ate before, just less. And I certainly don't work out obsessively. A little over 2.5 hours per week.

Anyhow, I've lost 95 lb so far, and I have some kind of grain (bread or pasta) nearly every day. And I lose at the rate I should lose based on CICO.
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes I am because that's all what I would eat. I really really really am trying hard to avoid my fave foods : pasta pizza and freshly baked bread from my fave french bakery. Its strange but i don't care about sweets or salty foods at all, all I want is these three foods! But if you do not care much you should be fine by having 60 grams ( this is the qty I alway hear dietitians suggesting in a diet.....and shoult not be consumed with some specific foods but i do not know much more)
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I did for awhile, but I missed it, so I started eating it again. They're easy-grab foods so I often make a peanut butter sandwich for breakfast. I could live without it if I wanted to, and often wish it was less calories per slice/gram.
  • Rit1603
    Options
    My opinion: Bread (plain white bread) should contain only these ingredients : flour, yeast, water, salt. Sometimes olive oil. If you start to see other suspicious or funny names well think about twice and goes onto the internet and look up those ingredients. You will be amazed of what it can be used to make bread last longer on the shelves. Of course with this way of thinking, i never buy packaged bread . My food policy is: the lesser ingredients shown on a label the better for my health. But again, my thinking.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Yes I am because that's all what I would eat. I really really really am trying hard to avoid my fave foods : pasta pizza and freshly baked bread from my fave french bakery. Its strange but i don't care about sweets or salty foods at all, all I want is these three foods! But if you do not care much you should be fine by having 60 grams ( this is the qty I alway hear dietitians suggesting in a diet.....and shoult not be consumed with some specific foods but i do not know much more)

You can eat the foods you listed and lose weight, just eat less of said foods.

I have no idea what 60 grams of carbs has to do with weight loss, weight loss is about cico...
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of rice and pasta, but not much bread. I don't deliberately avoid it because it's "bad" but because when I have it, I want to eat the whole loaf, not the 1-2 slices that fit into my calorie count (well, anything over 2 slices means sacrifices in other meals). I can happily have a small portion of rice or pasta topped with protein and have it fit my calories, but bread needs toppings and those toppings add up quickly.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut it out, but I have cut back. It's the one thing I could actually binge on.
  • Rit1603
    edited April 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Rit1603 wrote: »

You can eat the foods you listed and lose weight, just eat less of said foods.

I have no idea what 60 grams of carbs has to do with weight loss, weight loss is about cico...

Yeah i know but i am bad i love it too much.
    What i meant to refer to is the mediterranean diet which includes all of foods; depending on one daily calorie plan, dieticians include pasta and bread, on a 1250 cal daily plan there are 40 grams of bread never paired with other carbs from same cat (example pasta) . If your daily calorie goal is higher it can go up.

But to me 40 grams of bread is really like ... Two bites! Lol
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think everyone is eager to drop the weight fast but me not so much. Of course that would be great if I did but I know my personality and I can't give up to much. I can definitely cut down but it's difficult to give it up altogether. Some argue it's not about the foods you eat but rather as long as there is a deficit in your calorie intake and some even argue it's all about calories and not carbs. Ugh so confusing.

There's 40 calorie per slice bread. ☺
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I dropped bread. I have insulin resistance and celiac disease so dropping bread was a no brainer. I've never been a huge bread eater though. Can't say I miss it.
  • ralexhou82
    ralexhou82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of most breads, anyway. But I certainly have not cut it out. I had a sandwich today. It was good. If it fits in my calories, and I want it, I eat it.
  • shannon_daly3
    shannon_daly3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No ! I love carbs, bread, pasta !! I used to restrict all of these foods that I loved and just ended up eating more of the foods I didn't really like to compensate. Now, thanks to logging, I eat food that I really truly enjoy and lose weight ! It's the best :D
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely not avoiding bread. I love bread. I'm making some rye flatbread right now. I'm still losing weight.
  • henry4399
    henry4399 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have like one slice of bread everyday for breakfast, Ezekiel 4:9 yo
  • _CassiePants_
    _CassiePants_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I follow Banting, otherwise known as LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat). With this way of eating, I have cut out all grains and starchy foods, and it is really working for me. Carbs convert to sugars in the body, and sugars send messages to the brain telling you that you are hungry, and want more sugars. Kicking these foods has really helped me with my hunger. I have always had issues with food addiction, and cutting out high carb foods (as well as sugars), has really been a game changer for me. I have lost over 13 kilos in just over two months. My energy has increased, my moods have improved, my skin is clearer, my snoring is improving, and I am dropping dress sizes.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It's actually very simple, it's about calories in and calories out.

So all calories are equal? I don't think it's quite that simple considering how different everyone is. There are so many reasons a "CICO" model won't work that I personally think it is bad practice to provide that, as the all powerful way to lose weight.
  • i6Shot
    i6Shot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    H4N4H wrote: »
    I eat less bread, but I definitely do not hands down eliminate it.

Out of interest, why wouldn't you drop bread?
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat sweet potato fries regularly. I eat cereal regularly. Plus, I do love a good breakfast sandwich or pancake or waffle on the weekend. So no I don't cut out bread or starches of any kind. I've lost 20 pounds, no problem.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think everyone is eager to drop the weight fast but me not so much. Of course that would be great if I did but I know my personality and I can't give up to much. I can definitely cut down but it's difficult to give it up altogether. Some argue it's not about the foods you eat but rather as long as there is a deficit in your calorie intake and some even argue it's all about calories and not carbs. Ugh so confusing.

There's 40 calorie per slice bread. ☺

Different breads have different calorie counts and different sized slices. I have some in my house right now that is 120 a slice and some that is 60 a slice. Check the labels.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    i6Shot wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It's actually very simple, it's about calories in and calories out.

So all calories are equal? I don't think it's quite that simple considering how different everyone is. There are so many reasons a "CICO" model won't work that I personally think it is bad practice to provide that, as the all powerful way to lose weight.

Explain how CICO doesn't work?