Is anyone avoiding bread as part of their weight loss journey?

Options

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, we've all heard it. Bread is the worst when it comes to weight loss. Along side potatoes, rice, and noodles. Thoughts?

I eat bread almost daily. I limit myself to the lowest calorie bread I can find and whatever is more nutritious. I don't eat white bread. I don't eat rice or pasta often because those are both so high in calories that I'd rather use my calories for something else. I also eat white and sweet potatoes, always roasted or baked and can put avocado or EVOO and a little salt on them when done cooking. I don't eat mashed potatoes because they have other stuff added (milk, butter).
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I do avoid bread but not because bread is evil but because I have ZERO self-control when it comes to bread. With rice or potatoes or pasta, I weigh out my portion, cook it, eat it and that's it. With bread, especially when there's cheese or peanut butter, I just can't stop. I don't have one slice or two but I've been known to have a small loaf in one sitting. So yeah - bread has become a bit of a special treat.
  • GraceGunther1
    GraceGunther1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do not eat bread, rice, potatoes, wheat. I eat less than 40 g carbs/day, I follow the Ketogenic way of eating. Lots of stuff on the net.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Yes I am because that's all what I would eat. I really really really am trying hard to avoid my fave foods : pasta pizza and freshly baked bread from my fave french bakery. Its strange but i don't care about sweets or salty foods at all, all I want is these three foods! But if you do not care much you should be fine by having 60 grams ( this is the qty I alway hear dietitians suggesting in a diet.....and shoult not be consumed with some specific foods but i do not know much more)

So how do you think that's going to work out for you, long term? How sustainable is cutting out your favorite foods? Weight loss/maintenance is challenging enough on its own, why make it harder than it needs to be?

Why not focus on making sustainable changes like learning portion control, learning how to accurately track your calorie intake etc. I've gotten through 3 years of maintenance so far and I'm eyeballing 40+ more years ahead of me. There's absolutely no way I could, or would want, to cut out my favorite foods. That's just not realistic and it's setting yourself up for failure.
  • meredith6645
    meredith6645 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do I avoid the all white stuff not because of my weight but because of my cholesterol but I do treat myself here and there
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I do I avoid the all white stuff not because of my weight but because of my cholesterol but I do treat myself here and there

My cholesterol numbers improved as I lost the extra weight, not because I cut any certain type of food out (which I didn't do). I eat all sorts of 'white' foods and my cholesterol numbers are great now (having lost/maintaining 50ish pounds). Do you have a medical condition that's affecting your cholesterol?
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    When I have bread in the pantry, I have a hard time controlling how much I eat. It is one of my downfalls. At restaurants also. One time I ordered only garlic bread as my whole meal . I enjoyed every bite!
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I think everyone is eager to drop the weight fast but me not so much. Of course that would be great if I did but I know my personality and I can't give up to much. I can definitely cut down but it's difficult to give it up altogether. Some argue it's not about the foods you eat but rather as long as there is a deficit in your calorie intake and some even argue it's all about calories and not carbs. Ugh so confusing.

There's 40 calorie per slice bread. ☺

Different breads have different calorie counts and different sized slices. I have some in my house right now that is 120 a slice and some that is 60 a slice. Check the labels.

Yes, I know this. That's why I suggested the 40 calories one. If people want to eat bread, there are lower calorie ones. I did not know this until I started counting my calories, so maybe others may not either.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »
    When I have bread in the pantry, I have a hard time controlling how much I eat. It is one of my downfalls. At restaurants also. One time I ordered only garlic bread as my whole meal . I enjoyed every bite!

Is it only bread that this happens with?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've decreased my bread consumption by a lot because it just doesn't fill me up for the calories. I make my own bread now too so at least it's worth the calories when I do have some.

And yeah, there is no 'journey' there. I've been this weight for 2 years now and it's still a struggle every day. There's no end to it.
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes, bread and dairy
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's not the foods you eat, it's the amount of them. When I was 50lbs heavier I ate 2 pieces as a sandwich. Now, 1 folded over. Or Sandwich Thins. When I eat a burger I either do bunless or do it open face and eat one side. And that's in maintainance. You just learn how to get it off and keep it off. And not have to cut a single thing out.
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have avoided bread, as well as rice, pasta and potatoes generally although I will have a little if I feel like it.

I have lost about 38 pounds and have another 26 or so to go to reach my goal. Bread makes me feel bloated but I intend, once I reach my goal, to introduce my favourite bread, grain and seed sourdough which is low GI, a couple of times a week.

I basically replace rice, pasta and potatoes with extra vegetables. So far it is working for me. All my blood tests can back with everything being in the middle of the normal range. Turned my potential thyroid problem around.

I do have oats or muesli for breakfast most days so I do not avoid carbs completely.
  • squirtychookgirl
    squirtychookgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thinking about it, I've changed the type of bread I eat as well as the amount. Before losing weight I'd buy whatever was on offer. Then I switched to sandwich thins because they're less calories per sandwich, but they didn't hit my hunger-spot. Now I eat Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, which is so filling that I can cut one slice in half and make a sandwich that will fill me up.
    http://www.burgenbread.com/breads/soya-linseed/

I love this bread, too. It is a favourite, and I agree, it is SO filling.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    OMG I used to love bread, still die when I smell it!! But alas, I'm allergic to wheat and most grains, so two years ago ditched bread, pasta and many others altogether. Lost 80 lbs, but we know that this was mostly CICO. BUT, ditching those foods made CICO easier to sustain.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I've decreased my bread consumption by a lot because it just doesn't fill me up for the calories. I make my own bread now too so at least it's worth the calories when I do have some.

And yeah, there is no 'journey' there. I've been this weight for 2 years now and it's still a struggle every day. There's no end to it.

3 and a half years here and yeah-it's more like trying to navigate through heavy traffic, filled with construction and speed traps :p
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i try to avoid it, cause i'm sadly very addicted to bread (and almost all of them has white flour) and if eat some i can't stop later :(

you are not addicted to bread ....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

3 and a half years here and yeah-it's more like trying to navigate through heavy traffic, filled with construction and speed traps :p

Muhahaha I love this.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    The CICO mantra is great IF your counting and that's everyone on MFP.
    CIICO mantra folk may have missed a point with that NOT counting calories then it makes it easier for SOME to not over indulge as many have expressed this particularly folk who DO NOT count calories. Breads is a lovely food and a weakness for a lot to over indulge including myself- bread, pizza, hot cross buns etc. If I'm not calorie counting then all these things are my Achilles heel. Not everyone in this world is a disciplined MFP user surprisingly.

CICO has nothing to do with counting calories, as it is a mathematical formula. counting calories is just a way to control the in side of CI...

Plenty of people lose weight without calorie counting and just be eating less....
  • couturebody
    couturebody Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    if it fits into your macros, eat it. I eat bread every morning because I can't stand oats. I also eat a lot of short grain rice and I've lost 20lb.