i need a spicy snack

Options
13»

Replies

• 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Tinymeaf wrote: »
    You should try roasted chickpeas. Plenty of recipes to make them yourself. I use paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and olive oil. I also start from dried form, soaking and cooking them myself so that any of the crap added to canned chickpeas is avoided. Great snack and it fills you up quickly. Can be a bit dry so don't eat too many at once.

I've had these at a bar once and were senational!
    I have not been able to duplicate as well.
    If your handy in the kitchen I highly recommend spicy felafels made from chickpeas. Warning do not use cooked chick peas cooked or from a can.
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    @lynn1982 where is that found? What is it?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Second the Buffalo cauliflower suggestion. Also, the Sabra Supremely Spicy hummus is really good with veggies, pretzels, etc...
    I also put ghost pepper sauce in things, too...that gets the spice going! :)
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Air popped pop corn with Cayenne Pepper. Yowza! I love it.

Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus with some fresh veggies.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Frigo Habanero Cheese Sticks. They're like 90 calories. Or Sargento Pepperjack cheese sticks...

Want. :p

Sounds like I need to check out the Supremely Spicy Hummus and Ethiopian spice mix too. Any recommendations on where to find that second one?

I already do Frank's Red Hot on chicken. :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Frigo Habanero Cheese Sticks. They're like 90 calories. Or Sargento Pepperjack cheese sticks...

Sounds like I need to check out the Supremely Spicy Hummus and Ethiopian spice mix too. Any recommendations on where to find that second one?

We get the ethiopian spice mix in a big bag from Amazon - the best was was "nirmala's" in a tiny tin, but we can get close by mixing this one with some cumin and salt, a little coriander - it's magic on black eyed peas too:

amazon.com/Frontier-Berbere-Seasoning-Blend-ORGANIC/dp/B00269PJZY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459517192&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ethiopian+spice+mix+frontier
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    • Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums - tortilla sized, crispy, slightly spicy, 20 calories, not even 4g carbs each (made with chickpea flour, so there's even a gram or two of protein).
    • Crispy chickpeas. I especially like Saffron Road (brand) Bombay Spice flavor.
    • Wildbrine brand Bold Dill Pickles.
    • A serving of cottage cheese with 1/2tsp each cumin & turmeric, and a hefty dose of hot sauce (ideally smoked hot sauce, but you can use regular hot sauce plus smoked paprika).
    • Kim chi.
    • Various spicy pickled vegetables - check out the pickle area in a larger grocery store or health food store, including the refrigerated pickles.
    • This recipe for Doritos-flavored Popcorn - up the chili powder/cayenne until it makes you weep with happiness.

Is it too soon to tell you I love you for that dorito popcorn recipe??
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Anything low cal + hot sauce.

I also like the spicy pickle suggestion.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    chalaivy wrote: »

It's Korean fermented cabbage (or other vegetables, but I think mostly cabbage...). The Korean chili powder used in it makes it spicy...It's low in calories and also supposedly good for digestion. Any Korean supermarket will have it, or you could try making it yourself (lots of recipes online), BUT, it seems complicated and messy to make... Some brands use MSG in it though, so be careful if you are sensitive to that. The one I buy is vegan (no fish sauce or shrimp paste used), and MSG-free, but it's made in house by my local Korean supermarket.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Home made pico de gallo to put on your food is great. Chop up tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, use lots of garlic salt. Mix it up and let sit in the fridge overnight to mix flavors well. It's great spice and goes on tons of food.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    chalaivy wrote: »

It's Korean fermented cabbage (or other vegetables, but I think mostly cabbage...). The Korean chili powder used in it makes it spicy...It's low in calories and also supposedly good for digestion. Any Korean supermarket will have it, or you could try making it yourself (lots of recipes online), BUT, it seems complicated and messy to make... Some brands use MSG in it though, so be careful if you are sensitive to that. The one I buy is vegan (no fish sauce or shrimp paste used), and MSG-free, but it's made in house by my local Korean supermarket.

Most large supermarkets in the US have kimchi now, especially in areas with an Asian population. Or health food stores. Look near the refrigerated pickles or refrigerated sauerkraut. We're lucky enough to have a couple of local artisan-foods places that make especially yummy versions from many different types of veggies. So hot, so delicious!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    • Sharwood's Spicy Puppodums - tortilla sized, crispy, slightly spicy, 20 calories, not even 4g carbs each (made with chickpea flour, so there's even a gram or two of protein).
    • Crispy chickpeas. I especially like Saffron Road (brand) Bombay Spice flavor.
    • Wildbrine brand Bold Dill Pickles.
    • A serving of cottage cheese with 1/2tsp each cumin & turmeric, and a hefty dose of hot sauce (ideally smoked hot sauce, but you can use regular hot sauce plus smoked paprika).
    • Kim chi.
    • Various spicy pickled vegetables - check out the pickle area in a larger grocery store or health food store, including the refrigerated pickles.
    • This recipe for Doritos-flavored Popcorn - up the chili powder/cayenne until it makes you weep with happiness.

Is it too soon to tell you I love you for that dorito popcorn recipe??

HaHaHA! Personally, I'm not a general Dorito craver (just the old-school Taco flavor ;) ), but I do like that popcorn. The nutritional yeast adds a dab of protein, besides!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    wasabi peas!!! I get them at big lots
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I thought of another one, what about pork rinds? Not sure what the calorie count is though, honestly.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    ilex70 wrote: »

We get the ethiopian spice mix in a big bag from Amazon - the best was was "nirmala's" in a tiny tin, but we can get close by mixing this one with some cumin and salt, a little coriander - it's magic on black eyed peas too:

amazon.com/Frontier-Berbere-Seasoning-Blend-ORGANIC/dp/B00269PJZY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1459517192&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=ethiopian+spice+mix+frontier

Thanks. :)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but you can usually find a hot or spicy salsa dip in most stores and they are very low in calories.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Wasabi pea fan here, as well! Tribe brand makes a Fiery Siracha hummus that is delish - eat with celery and carrots and you get the snack-y crunch plus the hot spice. Planning to try the buffalo cauliflower one of these days. It sounds yummy!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    LOVE jalapeno-stuffed green olives.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Popcorn with hot sauce, taco seasoning, and/or nutritional yeast. Chili garlic paste on cucumbers and peppers, or spicy salsa with cucumbers and peppers. I basically add hot sauce to everything.