Overeat

Options
I went 1000 calories over my limit today. I'm so ashamed, but it's Friday. Anyways tomorrow will be more controlled and better hopefully. I have to clean stalls for a few hours and ride my horse so hopefully that'll help the mistakes I made today. Anyone have any ideas or tips to help me overcome a binge like this? Should I eat breakfast tomorrow even if I'm not hungry?

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. One day is utterly insignificant.
  • alexreyn13
    alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yup, log it and move on.

Something that helps me stay under is logging my biggest meal of the day ahead of time. If you know you're going to have a specific meal that's 700 calories, for example. Log it ahead of time and fit the rest of the day around it, though may prove harder if you're unsure of it's calorie amount.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Yes, log it accurately, then go back to your healthy routine.

Skipping meals to "catch up" can risk setting you up for a cycle of deprivation and overeating, and those extra calories represent only a very minor delay in reaching your ultimate goal.

As long as something like this is quite rare, you'll do fine. The majority of our days determine the majority of our progress.

And don't beat yourself up about it - that helps nothing. Just recommit to your healthier path.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    As others say, log it and move on. However, for your final point
    Should I eat breakfast tomorrow even if I'm not hungry?

I would say no. Not because I believe in trying to make up for the calories you ate yesterday but because, unless you generally have trouble with getting enough calories, eating when you are not actually hungry is not a great idea. For me, at least, eating when I'm not actually hungry is one of the ways I gained weight in the first place. Now, if I have a really big meal (regardless of when it is), I may skip my next meal because I'm just not hungry.

Conversely, if you do feel hungry tomorrow morning, do by all means eat breakfast and don't 'punish' yourself for the calories you overate yesterday.
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Planning is usually the best way to avoid imbalances: prep your food ahead of time, if not for a few days at least for the next day, pack your meals weighed and measured, log all your food for the next day and know how many calories you're going to eat, whether or not you're going to hit your macros, etc. That way you know if you'll have room to add extra calories and if not, you can make room. Knowing what's going to happen gives you control and decision power.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I went 1000 calories over my limit today. I'm so ashamed, but it's Friday. Anyways tomorrow will be more controlled and better hopefully. I have to clean stalls for a few hours and ride my horse so hopefully that'll help the mistakes I made today. Anyone have any ideas or tips to help me overcome a binge like this? Should I eat breakfast tomorrow even if I'm not hungry?

Whatever you do, there is no point in feeling guilty or ashamed. That's not going to fix anything.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305332/when-food-guilt-is-ruining-your-life
  • ggrady3
    ggrady3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well, to increase your metabolism you should eat breakfast. Not very hungry in the morning, just eat a little, protein and fruit. You do not have to eat a lot but smaller meals throughout the day, every 3 hours or 4 or 5 times a day...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    ggrady3 wrote: »
    Well, to increase your metabolism you should eat breakfast. Not very hungry in the morning, just eat a little, protein and fruit. You do not have to eat a lot but smaller meals throughout the day, every 3 hours or 4 or 5 times a day...

Don't listen to this.

Just plan your meals better, and don't feel guilty or ashamed for eating, you weren't even overating by much, and never try to "make up for it" by exercising more or eating less afterwards.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I would eat breakfast. Cleaning stalls and riding burns a lot of energy. If you don't eat in the morning you are going to be ravenous by lunch time and that is going to make you more likely to binge again.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    No big deal. If you're set to lose 1lb/week, then your +1000 is like eating at maintenance for 2 days. Keep on keeping on.