Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

Options

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't mind counting them at all. I've lost 20 lbs so far and want to lose more so I don't mind. It's about a new lifestyle for me and I don't ever want to go back to being miserably huge again. Once I get to my goal weight and start maintaining I will likely stop tracking quite as much because by then I will probably know about how much to eat without measuring and weighing it every single time.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way--alot of people over the years are posting "Hi, I'm back calorie counting, since I gained the weight back". Since this happens very frequently, I hope to avoid it by continuing to count. I also like to watch my protein levels and it's impossible to do without counting. I do take breaks, especially during the summer while on vacation--I always gain at least 4 lbs. So, I'm not great shakes when I get off the wagon.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was counting calories more in the first few months. Now I just do it periodically to see where I am at, especially if I add in new foods. I need to know how new foods and recipes fit into the calorie counts and macros.

That being said, I am flexible with my counting. My calorie count can vary by a few hundred calories each day but it all seems to work out in the end.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    You just need to adult up and log them calories. Or else... It's like brushing your teeth. Who actually enjoys doing it? And yet we all do it.

Or else what.....? Many people, myself included, are not longer logging "them calories" all the time and everything is fine and dandy. Since when adulthood is determined by logging calories in a website?

By the way, I like brushing my teeth more than counting and logging calories :D
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't always like cleaning house but I do it anyway because living in a dirty house sucks.
    I don't always like going to work but I like having money to use for things like food and rent so I get up and go to work anyway
    I don't ever like paying bills but I like having a roof over my head, a car to drive, running water, heat electricity and my horse, so I pay them anyway.
    I don't always like logging and paying attention to my calories but I also don't like being overweight, out of breath and in pain. I like that I feel better and move better as I lose the weight. So I count calories anyway.

In life you don't alway do things because you like to. Sometimes you do them because you have to in order to enjoy the benefits. If counting calories was something I could do only if I liked doing it I think I would not need to lose weight.

• nbalan2014
    nbalan2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't always like cleaning house but I do it anyway because living in a dirty house sucks.
    I don't always like going to work but I like having money to use for things like food and rent so I get up and go to work anyway
    I don't ever like paying bills but I like having a roof over my head, a car to drive, running water, heat electricity and my horse, so I pay them anyway.
    I don't always like logging and paying attention to my calories but I also don't like being overweight, out of breath and in pain. I like that I feel better and move better as I lose the weight. So I count calories anyway.

In life you don't alway do things because you like to. Sometimes you do them because you have to in order to enjoy the benefits. If counting calories was something I could do only if I liked doing it I think I would not need to lose weight.

Couldn't have been said any better. Thank you for putting it in perspective
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how counting macros is easier than counting calories. There are 3 macros (4 if you count alcohol) and just one calorie number.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    ME. I start to hate counting every little thing. I'm applying my own strategy now.

I need to be consistent with making & taking my coffee, my morning breakfast, and give them a rough estimate. Example, 100 for coffee, 300-400 for breakfast.

I don't count green vegetables.

I count the "major" foods such as as meat, pasta, brown rice, orange juice, milk.

It is OK to eat just 1200 or less calories some days.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand how counting macros is easier than counting calories. There are 3 macros (4 if you count alcohol) and just one calorie number.

I was thinking this too, besides the nutritional aspect, isn't counting macros effectively counting calories? Maybe it feels different (and better for some people?) to do it that way?
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Been counting for over 500 days. Ill continue another 500. It works and although tough at times I ultimately enjoy being healthy now. Well worth it! I've lost 70 lbs and an working on muscle and toning now. I love this app for what it has helped me accomplish with increased awareness.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

I was thinking this too, besides the nutritional aspect, isn't counting macros effectively counting calories? Maybe it feels different (and better for some people?) to do it that way?

I was going to say that as well. In essence it is counting calories since calories are made up from the various macros.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I count because it keeps me honest. I reached my goal weight last Spring. Went on a cruise of a lifetime, Crystal all inclusive; then attended a 3-day wine festival; and a family reunion. I did not log while I was away but tried to exercise some moderation. By the end of the summer I was back up 10 pounds, which I'm still trying to lose. No regrets though, I just know this works for me.
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    moto450 wrote: »
    Been counting for over 500 days. Ill continue another 500. It works and although tough at times I ultimately enjoy being healthy now. Well worth it! I've lost 70 lbs and an working on muscle and toning now. I love this app for what it has helped me accomplish with increased awareness.

This is what I'm talking about!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same?

I dislike counting calories, so I don't do it. If counting macros and focusing on food quality works for you, then keep at it. A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight, not calorie counting.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Depends on what I'm eating. Usually I count. When I'm eating vegetarian I usually don't count.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have poor satiety cues. I don't overeat this way. It's just a part of my life now.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I love logging my calories.
    I'm in maintenance now though and my numbers are comfortably enough for me as long as I'm not greedy, logging stops me being greedy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I was going to say that as well. In essence it is counting calories since calories are made up from the various macros.

Me too.. If you are counting macros then you are also counting calories by default.

I find it way easier to hit my calories, then I do my macros. Counting macros seems to involve more in depth research than a simple calorie.

• happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. Calorie counting can make some people obsessive. It can make some people binge. That's what it does for me sometimes. Counting and obsessing over every little morsel you put in your mouth, denying yourself something you don't know the calories of, but then binging on it later because you can't stop thinking about it, tracking every calorie you burn so you can eat the exercise calories, or exercise off something bad you're eaten, etc.

Some people on here at like calorie counting is the end all, be all to obesity, but it's not. It's great, but it's not the solution for everyone.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Calorie counting doesn't work for everyone. Calorie counting can make some people obsessive. It can make some people binge. That's what it does for me sometimes. Counting and obsessing over every little morsel you put in your mouth, denying yourself something you don't know the calories of, but then binging on it later because you can't stop thinking about it, tracking every calorie you burn so you can eat the exercise calories, or exercise off something bad you're eaten, etc.

Some people on here at like calorie counting is the end all, be all to obesity, but it's not. It's great, but it's not the solution for everyone.

You're right, millions of people lose weight without manually logging a single calorie.

For me, calorie counting is like a security blanket. As long as I'm counting and logging there's no second guessing, and I know I'm on the right track. This could also be achieved by regularly weighing myself, I guess. But I'd rather not have to deal with calorie/weight creep.

I'll keep weighing and logging everything as long as I'm enjoying it, and I do at the moment. Pre-logging my day is the very first thing I do after I turn the computer on in the morning, I still look forward to it.

ETA: I have my fitbit synced with MFP, and I get a thrill watching my calories increase throughout the day. The whole experience (logging my food and earning calories) makes me happy :bigsmile: