April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I must sound like the most morose person in the world...LOL.....I use self deprecating humor as a motivator....does not come across well in type....
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Wow, looking at the math on miles in this group, I'm definitely dragging down your average! Thanks for being open and available to newbies, you all are excellent inspiration (I just need to find the time to keep up with this thread!).

4/1-rest
    4/2-2 miles
    4/3-2 miles (first back to back runs in about two months after back injury!)
    I've learned, just don't compare yourself to @kristinegift @Stoshew71 or @MobyCarp and it gets easier to feel good about distances.

There are a few things that new runners need to hear, and sometimes need to hear repeatedly:

There is always someone running faster than you. There is always someone running slower than you. And no matter how slow you run, as long as you keep moving you're lapping the people who stay on the couch.

Dead Last Finish beats Did Not Finish. Did Not Finish beats Did Not Start.

And, just for this group: No matter how many miles you run, someone is running more miles. It doesn't matter, as long as you are running enough miles to be happy and healthy. Staying healthy to run again is more important that running farther.

Amen!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Poured down with Ice Cold rain last night and still below zero this morning and very humid.
    How quickly our bodies adjust to warmer temperatures is amazing. 2 weeks ago our club would have though of this as a really balmy running day. We all started out chilled and wearing gloves and toques, after 2 km these were stored in pockets and the vent zippers were getting opened on the coats. Of course there are always those Special People who once they put on shorts refuse to go back to tights or long running shells.
    Traditionally Sunday is shorty day as it allows those who attend Church to get in an early run if they want to and gives everyone a shorty day built into the schedule.

8 km today with 3 different groups going out based on the Avg speed. Some Running longer. Another hill day, dropped down into the valley and stayed on the pea gravel trails as the bush trails were muddy swamps :'( then back up the hill to finish at Tim's for a coffee and plan our local summer events.
    Heritage Run 5km, 10km and HM, Beer Mile and then 7 Hills + 7 Pubs. ( Gotta have a little fun )

04/01 – 0.0 Km – 0.0 - 140 km
    04/02 – 10. Km – 10 km- 130 km
    04/02 – 8.0 Km – 18 km- 122 km – YTD 408.8 km

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom Glad there is a diagnosis and really hope this puts Miss Skippy on a path back to good health.

Too many posts to send congrats or encouragement to everyone who deserver's it. I think @Elise4270 said it best
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I got to thinking how many miles we must have had as a group? So I did a little math, I did not get everyone (girl math- did use excel) but tried to get as much data as I could easily. Used Strava on some.
    Between ~55 random people (easy data pickin's), we accumulated 4807 miles. An average of 87 miles per person, 155 miles per day. The actual number is greater than that.

I wonder if there is a way on Strava to see the miles logged by our group. I couldn't figure it out, usually on mobile and on a mission.

It was amazing seeing everyone's miles. Usually, I don't mind everyone's miles- its a personal challenge -respect- and I know 5 miles can seem as difficult as 100 miles. Actually- 100 miles a month is WAY EASIER than the 30 I started with my first month.

So for all of you that missed a pat on the back and a high five- I am inspired, and very grateful for each step you took last month. I know we tend to have smaller circles of folks we each follow, and I miss all the great MILEstones. Just seriously- Ya'll rock!

I know I have missed Great Accomplishments by fellow runners so I tip my Hat to Everyone.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I must sound like the most morose person in the world...LOL.....I use self deprecating humor as a motivator....does not come across well in type....

It's OK. I do the same thing. LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I was broke from that with my last round of PT. It was not tolerated. I learned to hold my tounge. :smile: They did not understand it's also about accepting my limitations. I can see in their profession they encounter a lot of negativity though.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Easy 8.59 km this morning; @ 7:28 min/km; av HR 127, max HR 140. Weather is cooling off a bit here, and humidity easing off (at last!); so a lovely 21C with 83% humidity to run in this morning. Didn't know how I would feel after my long run Saturday, but all good.

Apr 1 – Rest
    Apr 2 – 27.55 km
    Apr 3 – Rest
    Apr 4 – 8.59 km

Total: 36.14 km / 240 km

Races:
    5 June Rocky River Run 21km
    3 July Gold Coast Marathon

exercise.png

• Nedorostok
    Nedorostok Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    04/03 - start of the challenge,
    2 miles jogged

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for a great race report! Sounds like a challenging course, but you slaaaayed it! And all that amazing swag.... I may have to add this to my race wish-list!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks for a great race report! Sounds like a challenging course, but you slaaaayed it! And all that amazing swag.... I may have to add this to my race wish-list!

Unless you signup the morning it opens, don't bother. We all set our alarms first thing the Sunday morning it opened. There's only 1200 spots and it sold out within 6 hours this past year. And there are no transfers or refunds. There are about 100 set aside for charity spots. But they raise a ton of money.

But I can give everyone a heads up if any one is interested.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Oh my! I just tracked through the last few pages of posts and see at least 6 people PRing their races on the weekend! Congrats to:
    @Stoshew71 for your HM - awesome race report, pics and loot!
    @kristinegift for your HM - great result in windy conditions!
    @ariceroni for that fast 8km!
    @louubelle16 for your HM - super PR! I bet you can go faster, too!
    @vandinem for your 10km!
    @AdrianChr92 for your 10km! In long pants, too!

Congrats to anyone else I missed who ran on the weekend!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I was broke from that with my last round of PT. It was not tolerated. I learned to hold my tounge. :smile: They did not understand it's also about accepting my limitations. I can see in their profession they encounter a lot of negativity though.
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    It's OK. I do the same thing. LOL

I know my limitations, or, at least I haven't found my upper limits yet, and I've stopped looking....When I self deprecate, it's more of a Sic Transit Gloria Mundi kind of thing.....and It's also my backhanded way to laude the folks who are awesome runners
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wow - page eleven already? I had a few crazy days at work (including spending some time there on both Saturday and Sunday *sigh*), didn't get a chance to look into this thread earlier, now I spent so much time catching up that I'm more than overdue for heading to bed, but if I don't reply now I'll probably forget everything I want to write until tomorrow ^^

Congratulations on the awesome race times @Stoshew71 @kristinegift @AdrianChr92 @louubelle16 @vandinem and @ariceroni . So many new PRs, well done everyone! (I hope I didn't overlook anyone)

@skippygirlsmom Oh no, visit to the ER, that sounds really bad. I hope Skip will be up and running again in no time.

@ddmom0811 glad your suitcase was found. Although - maybe if it had stayed lost, the airline company would have paid for a lot of nice running gear for you to replace the lost stuff, that might have been nice too ;-)

@Elise4270 Cool idea to sum up all our miles! 140km on average, that's quite impressive!

On a related note: my goal for this month will be 180km. At least that's what I think now, maybe it'll be a little more... I didn't find a nice, quite moment yet to properly plan my training for this month. At the beginning of this year I started with Hal Higdon's Novice 2 HM plan, but I've been deviating more and more from it, might as well admit that I'm not actually following it at all anymore.
    I've got my first 10k race next weekend. Apart from that I'll probably aim to keep my weekly mileage at the current level for now, but I haven't yet had a chance to write down what how I want to distribute it across the days of the week...

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    You all are so kind. She is feeling so much better, keeping food down and says she is tired but feels good. @elise4270 thanks for the info on the iron water I'll look into that.

4/1 - 5.5 miles
    4/2 - family day
    4/3 - 5 miles 5K and some extra going back and forth 9:41 pace

10 of 100 miles

I ran a 30:17 according to my watch, 30:26 according to the timer (non chip race). No PR but I finished 2nd in my AG. This was such a fun run and it raised money for our local children's advocacy center. My plan was to run with my friend, but she was ready to walk at .5 miles and I really needed to run more of the race. So told me to go so I did. I went back about .75 a mile to get her at the end and then went back to get her daughter so that added some miles.

5m7ntyx17bs0.jpg

Skip was supposed to run as Spiderman so here she is as Miss Spiderwoman I guess LOL

nxpkl6czzm77.jpg

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Retail therapy took care of my feeling slightly guilty about tomorrow being a rest day..... I'll have some new stuff in time for my Thursday morning run!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    April Running Totals (miles)
    4/1 – scheduled rest day
    4/2 – 13.31 easy
    4/3 – 7.83 easy

April total to date – 21.14

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Taper well. Arrive at Hopkinton healthy. Run Boston well. Recover well.

Today's notes – Dodged the winter weather. It snowed last night, but the roads were clear by the time I ran this afternoon. 31° F with 21 mph WNW wind and snow on the grass but clear asphalt roads and shoulders is pretty good running conditions, just more wintry than I expect in April! The assignment was 60 minutes at E, so I quit at 60 minutes; but under the weather conditions I ran a shade faster than I was supposed to. Oh, well. I'll probably get away with it.

More snow is coming down now. Between tonight and tomorrow, we're supposed to get 3 to 5 inches. I'll see how it is for running tomorrow; snow is frequently over-forecast here. Worst case, I break out the trail shoes to run tomorrow.

Yesterday after I posted my mileage, I registered for a couple more races. The Lilac Run 10K and the 5K to Cure ALS are Rochester Runner of the Year races, and I want to run at least 6 of the 12. Can't do the River Run 5K, because it's the Monday before Boston; and I held off registering for the Fast and the Furriest 10K, because there's an off chance I might be doing a half marathon the first weekend in June. But the calendar has filled in a little, and it will fill in more later. There are some races I know I'll run that aren't yet open for registration.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY)
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hilton, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A little late to the party but I'm in. Shooting for a goal of 50 miles.
    exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats on the AG 2nd place!! Also I loooove your leggings. And glad Skip is on the rebound!
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Missed my March goal by about 8 miles: I took the last week off when I had to abandon a long run 4 miles in with a calf strain. It didn't feel right so I wanted to stay off it rather than push it until it went seriously wrong, so no running for 10 days. Ugh.

It's been feeling a bit better now, so I tried an easy 5k today. Still a bit tight, but nothing nasty going on, so I think I'll be ok to ease back in. Going to aim for the same 75 miles I was going for last month.
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi! Joining late, but I need the motivation to return to running. Goal for April will be 60 miles.
    4/3 - 5 miles

welcome to the group. You have a good start on the month, keep it up!

Thank you @MNLittleFinn . Looks like this will be a busy thread and very positive. Nice to see so many runners encouraging each other. I will try to check in regularly and get to know everyone.
    Do most people on this thread race? It seems like it. I havent raced in a long time, maybe I will be inspired :smile:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats on the AG 2nd place!! Also I loooove your leggings. And glad Skip is on the rebound!

@kristinegift. Thanks. I got them at Kohls, very comfy. Not something I normally wear but Skip talked me into them.