Stats for the day:
    walk/slow jog - 50.10min 16.12ap 3.5incl 3.5-5.sp, 5k = 191c
    Stretches- 2 diff stretches, 6sets, = 74c
    Total 265 cal
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Carol – I have a similar problem with one pot meals… so this is how I handle it… It’s a weird system but it seems to work.
    First weigh the pan – write it down, then weigh or measure everything you are putting in, and write all of those down. When you are done cooking, weigh the pot with the dinner in it… now subtract the weight of the empty pot, take the total weight and divide it in to 1 oz servings so if the total is 23 oz, that is 23 servings, then weigh the amount you are taking lets say 8 oz – and count it as 8 servings…

Sylvia – oh dear…. Take care! Thinking of you!

Alison – wish I had been there I would have dropped a box of book on that Dkindle (that D is not darling)

Chris – congrats!!!

SugarBiscotti, PatricaNeves , RockingMBC and all the other newbies!!!– welcome

Rosie – thinking of you- I know how hard money troubles are.

Margaret – Great Job it is really hard to react in a different manner – yet interesting to see others responses. Great insight about “smokescreen”

Janetr – I had not noticed you putting your foot in your mouth….

Becca – you make me smile!

Katiebug – you hit that right!

Busy day, I usually don’t garden on Sunday’s (at least for clients) but did today – and I had to quote a small embroidery job today and found out the hard way that my favorite supplier has raised the shipping price, usually I don’t care as I buy enough to get free shipping, but a small order only $80 and they are charging $30 for shipping ---it’s just t-shirts --- grrr, I’ll make very little on this as shipping has gone up over 50% in the last 6 months… I should have checked first! But the client needed the shirts asap and on the weekend there is no customer service, but they will ship so I’ll get them tomorrow afternoon.

I found squid steaks at the market at a great price $2.50 a pound so bought them and fixed some for dinner tonight – I was really happy to see that the calories are very low, I did pan fry them, but measured the oil and only used 2 teaspoons for each piece… so that and veggies – and I am full.

Kim from N. California
  • KalliZiegler
    KalliZiegler Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Stayed on track for today's goal of logging everything and maintain caloric intake per objective. Tomorrow, I have to get out the door for a few miles. Does anyone use the pedometer app on your phone that sinks w My Fitness Pal to track activity? I use Run Keeper for my runs but am interested in number of steps in a day. I have had two Fit bits but they die too fast to keep buying them.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,362 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Bodyflow 63 DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some yoga, hold my plank and then take the extremepump class.

Lariso - thanks for telling me what a garden arbor is. I won't see one in my backyard mainly because I have the brownest thumb on this side of the Atlantic. I kill everything except weeds by just looking at it.

Welcome everyone new!

janetr - when I lector at the church, I do the readings (Book of the Apostles, Phillippians, etc) for the first reading and then the second reading. If the deacon isn't at the mass, I then also do the Prayers of the Faithful and if the choir isn't there, I read (no, there's no way I would sing) whatever it is that they do between the readings.

boohoo - the handle on my 3/4 cup measuring cup broke today. That's the one I use quite often. I do have another one, but I liked this one for some reason. Oh well.....

Just got back from the church. See, one month per year I help count the collection money. We usually count on Mondays, but the office mgr is going away to see her daughter, she's leaving tomorrow so she asked if we could come in today and she'd just take the deposit to the bank tomorrow.

As far as going out to eat, I usually try to order a children's portion or a senior portion. I just don't like bringing home leftovers if I can avoid it. That's probably because I like changing things up and don't care to have the same thing two days in a row. I know, I probably can skip a day of having it, but then it's just taking up room in the refrigerator.

I hate it when you put in a password, then you go back to the site and can't remember the requirements for the password. It's especially frustrating if you try, can't get in, but the site doesn't tell you something like "it must contain 6 characters and at least one number". Then I would know what the password is

Sylvia - I'm so sorry you were back in the hosp. And then to have a mini-stroke!!! Horrible. I sure hope you get better fast

Lora - do you regularly go to TR? When I go somewhere, I usually ask if they can leave the butter off (say) the green beans and not put anything on the potato or put it on the side (then I just don't eat it). Perhaps the next time you go there, that's something you can do. I like my routine, too.

kimses - "Not sure I'd throw out the gym part, but I get it overall." totally agree with you

Penny - I've jokingly told my daughters that you take men shopping for clothes for two reasons only. One is to hold the clothing while you try them on and the other is to pay for them....lol

pip - sugarBiscotti reminded me of something. I needed to go to Food Lion this morning. It's Sunday here in the BibleBelt so I knew there wouldn't be much traffic on the road so I was at one point considering taking my bike. But then I thought "how do I secure it outside the food store? Even tho I'll only be in the store a short while, what do I do with the bike? What do you do? What's a vibram shoe? Why is it controversial?

katla - I love the social part of the gym also. That's one of the reasons why I'm so greatful that Vince will take me. Admitted, I've cut WAAYYY back, but I still go at least once or twice a week. The first week after the seizure I didn't go and one gal said she was wondering where I was. I just told her that I fell and had to wait until the swelling around my eye went down before I could put on my glasses. No sense going into the whole thing

Before counting we went to WalMart so Vince could pick up his prescriptions. I should also have taken my receipt and coupon to see if they can use the coupon. Oh well.... After the church we stopped at CVS. I thought I had my box of coupons at home but it was in the car. Oh well.... I could have probably gotten a toothpaste for a good price.

I made these fruit bars for mahjongg tomorrow and took some to the lady at the church who is going away next week. Well, it seems to me that the jam looked a bit "runny". Then I looked closer at the jar. In my effort to use healthy things, the jam said "real fruit", not "jam". So maybe I'll try making them again, this time using "jam"

Larisa - there are the two of us, but I try to only buy "snacky things" that I don't like, like Doritos.

Carol - wonderful NSV. You can do it! I remember back when you said you were having a hard time doing 30 seconds. See how far you've come

Becca - I find that eating something on the sour side kills my desire for sweets. Well...it mostly does. If you go to the "food" tab, there is a tab below it that says "settings", click on that and you can have MFP track different things

Anne - you are so funny..."who needs to brush their hair anyway"

nb - so many times I've found that if I log first, I can sometimes eliminate something and then I'm under calories. You're getting there!!!

"I love you in-our-face, envelope pushing, foot in the mouth ladies. I love you non-pot-stirring ladies. I love you strong ladies and you wimpy ladies. I even love the ones who bring up politics and I can tell we cancel each other's vote. I love the ones who have this weight loss thing whipped and I love the ones who struggle. I just love you all." Thank you drkatiebug. My sentiments exactly

TotalFiotness DVD's is having a sale so I just placed an order. Found out that because it wasn't over $19, I was going to have to pay priority shipping. Well, I wrote to them, then I spoke to the lady there. She's sending them to me media mail. At least it'll save me $2, which is better than nothing. It's not that I need them asap

Michele in NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Penny – How sweet!

Karen – Earlier this week we went for a day-and-a-half without phone service; which meant we did not have the Internet. Calls dropped from something like 50 a day down to ZERO! For that length of time we enjoyed the ‘peace and quiet’ and read all the time. I finally decided that life is too short to ‘try’ reading a book that was ‘simply AWFUL’ after DH read 2 books and I still had not finished it. Now reading a brand new one from a different author. Actually, the one I was trying to read was written by a ‘ghost writer’ and the person put his name on it. It certainly did NOT do him justice. If I had not already read some of his books; I probably would have steered clear of anything with his as the author.

I love a good lightning and thunder storm … without the Hail.

Sylvia – Hope you are feeling and doing much better. Sorry to hear of your health issues. Now, is the time for ‘others’ in your family to start doing things for themselves and you take care of YOU!

Lora – We had the same thing happen to us; grown men will do as they please. All you can do is be pleasant to her and not compare her to his ‘ex’. I know how hard it is to step back and not say too much (about their choices) when you think it is happening too quickly. DOS had such a difficult time in his divorce from 1st wife; I was certainly not expecting to be introduced by the girl he was dating, as his ‘financee’, by her. He had wanted to wait since I had just gotten out of the hospital due to a wreck; and, my ‘short-term memory bank’ was shot to hell and back. Our relationship is still a bit ‘testy’ after 16 years of their marriage. But, I have to remember that ‘she is the gate-keeper of my DGDs’. I think that he just ‘did not want to be alone’. Not the best reason for a marriage. He was only 19 the first time he married his 17-year-old pregnant girlfriend.

Margaret – My mother taught us that somethings you just need to ‘smile, say 'thank you (for their insight), and turn around and walk away (from the situation or person). Sometimes the other person just wants to ‘argue for the sake of arguing’. Life’s too short to be pulled backwards; especially, when you are looking forward.

Pip – Did not realize that you were using such a ‘light’ weight; but, still be careful. Monkey feet shoes … I don’t think I could ever wear them because my little toe curves under the next one; I have problems getting them into socks with 'fingers' (which do keep my feet a lot warmer). After breaking my big toe, I had to keep those things that separate your toes in a pedicure to try to twist and turn the toe upward. It pointed to the right. Big toes are really necessary for ‘balance’. I don’t even attempt to do yoga, because I would ‘face plant’ myself the first time I had to raise one foot. It’s getting better since I’ve lost 40lbs; and, hopefully will continue getting better the more I shed.

Katla – I no longer have a FB account; my choice – best thing that I don’t have to read DDnL#1’s posts all the time. But, at least I get to see my DGDs since they live next door.

There is a difference between ‘fishing’ and ‘catching fish’ … IF I am ‘catching fish’ I don’t mind going 'fishing'. It is the ‘fishing’ that I hate (no bites no matter what you do). Actually, I like to go ‘crappy’ fishing; where you drop in a line from a cane pole and pull them out and swing them towards you to take them off the hook. Usually walking up and down the bank of a pond/lake. I don’t go ‘bass fishing’ with husband; because it is boring.

drkatiebug – I have ‘upped’ my exercise; and, instead of dreading getting up on the treadmill I am walking around the farm with Cracker. I find the time goes by faster and I get a better work-out. I found it difficult to get 15 (sometimes 20) minutes in on the treadmill; now, I am walking ‘outside’ and getting in 40+ minutes. DH finally mowed most of my paths. I just can’t wait for the pool water to warm up just a little; maybe towards the end of this month. I will ‘jump right in’ and get the ‘shock’ over with; and, do more exercise with the resistance of the water, too. Just with about 10 days of walking more, I can see a big difference in my tummy and thigh areas.

When my mother was a teacher; one of her classes (including my oldest sister) had lunch period right in the middle of class period. Every time the bell rang, mostly the boys would ‘run out of the room’ although she had not ‘dismissed’ the class. They did this several times and one day she announced to the class that ‘if ANYBODY got up and left their desks before she ‘dismissed’ the class; they would NOT go to lunch’. One of the boys turned to my sister and said, ‘ah, she’s not going to do anything’. My sister told him, ‘You don’t know my Mama; try it, and see what happens to the class’. Sure enough, the next day, bell rang and this boy jumped up and headed for the door; she told him to sit down and told the class they’d not be going to lunch that day … and she meant it, for the rest of the school year, if anybody got out of their desks, they needed to ‘think’ about what others in the class would think about it. So, the next day, “Johnny’s” Mama came to the school and told the Principal she was there to pick him up because mother was not letting to ‘go to lunch’. Of course, Principal called mother into the office and got her side of the story. This ‘mother’ was a ‘friend’ of my mother’s; and, when she told her what had occurred; told her that she could ‘take’ him home if she wanted to. But, not to expect that she’d change her ‘rules’ just because he ran to her and did not tell her the entire story. She left “Johnny” there to ‘not eat lunch with the rest of the class’. They never got up after that incident.

Becca – Don’t change; some of us enjoy your honesty, however direct and blunt. I think that trying too hard to always be “politically correct” means that you don’t voice your opinions. We all have opinions, some very far apart; but, I think all (or most) of us realize who is going to say it and mean what they say; or they will apologize if they get called out about something. This is a ‘thread’ for encouragement and most, sometimes, need to hear a ‘blunt and direct’ answer or comment.

Pip – YEAH!!!!!

Anne – You can put the seat and lid down on your toilet; bend over and comb/brush your hair from the back to the front. I found this out when I tore up my right rotator cuff and could not ‘lift’ my arm and had to keep it in a sling.

Today I got up and drove into town to go to church (something that I had not been doing, because it is 25 miles away). Got into town and decided to go to a 'small non-denominational' church because I knew some of the people there. They've gone through a 'lot' of changes and have been without a preacher since the last one and his wife became missionaries. One guy, in the band, who everybody has started calling him "Preacher" got up and started talking and he was bouncing off the wall so much that when I left I felt that I did not know what he was talking about. He'd start down one thought path and suddenly he was onto something else, totally different.

DH has 'thought' that I was going to Mass. I told him about the service and told him that 'next' Sunday I was going to go to Mass; he even said, 'maybe I'll go with you'. Heart be still! This has been something that I wanted for a long time (for us to go back to church as a couple). I want a 'church family', something I have missed ever since we moved 'out of town'. I'm going to enjoy this.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I was MIA yesterday. Sorry. My daughter and family came in. I thought they were leaving on Tuesday but it is now Wednesday. After one day I was tired! I let my tiredness get the best of me and did what my daughter say, 'went to Bedside Baptist Church' this morning. As I have said before, if I can't immediately step in that shower I cant get going. And with 4 other people in the house that also had plans this morning it was hard to get in the bathroom. So back to bed I went. We are babysitting tonight while both girls and their men go see the new Batman vs Superman movie tonight. Christina makes sure they are in bed before they leave. They play hard enough they immediately go to sleep. They went to our local zoo today and tomorrow they are going to our local Garden of the Gods in the Shawnee National Forest. That will be a tiring day again but I imagine both the girls will sleep on the way back.

Sylvia, you take care of yourself.I am not surprised though that something like this has happened. I hope this makes your son realize that you are not immortal and he has to properly look out for his children.

Heather, there was something many pages back I was going to reply to you but can't for the life of me what it was.

Joyce, AKA super Grandma, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Michele - Thanks for explaining to me what you do as a lector. That is very interesting, I think it's great that you do that.

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    <3
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,759 Member
    Options
    Janetr ... You've done nothing wrong in your posts and I think you've put your thoughts down quite well. :heart:

Kim ... I've never heard of squid steaks!

Beth
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,262 Member
    Options
    Having trouble sleeping. Never mind, I can just catch up with you all. :D
    Feeling a bit more dozy now. It's 4.40, so I will put my eye mask on to avoid the sun waking me up. :)

England lost the cricket. DH was furious - said that they threw it away in the last few balls. Even I was tense from following the score on my tablet. :laugh:

Will try to get back to sleep.

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,580 Member
    Options
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,537 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh my gosh! I am new to this group, and I don't know if I can keep up with all of you wonderful people! Every time I check in, so many people have already commented.....I cannot keep up with you, but I thought you are all wonderful! Here's to an awesome Monday! Keep up the good work! Let's have lots of good things to report!!! Exercise hard and burn some calories!! Have a great week!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for suggesting that I look at settings to see what nutrients I can keep track of. I did look, and feel quite comfortable with my current choices. Thanks to your help, I now understand that I can get a lot more information if I need it. :bigsmile:

Dr. Katie: I love this group, too. :heart:

Kalli: My iphone tracks steps but I'm more inclined to simply time my exercise. It may be less scientific, but I actually do it and have been able to meet my goals. I'm not lazy but I like to keep things simple. This system seems simple to me. Everyone needs to find what feels right to them. :flowerforyou:

Lenora: We might have feet alike. My little toes curl under, too. I think they might be hammertoes. :noway:

Heather: I hope you've gotten some rest by now. Sorry about the cricket match. :sad:

It has been a good day. One of the best parts was having fun with DH when we put screens up on our new windows for the first time. Another was simply sitting in the sunshine and soaking up rays. My face is just a little pink right now and I know I've had a helping of Vitamin D.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • calefor
    calefor Posts: 28 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good evening all. So many posts, I'm having trouble keeping up with everyone.

My PCP is moving to Maine, so had a follow up visit Friday. The last time I was in to see her was July. According to her scale I've lost 20lbs! I was excited with the 14lbs my scale shows. Guess I'm doing something right. Was even able to get into my 'skinny' pants that have been in the back of my closet!

DS came from Portland for the weekend. We forked tumbleweeds out of the fence line & burnt the piles. Wow, those things burn hot! Glad that chore is done.

Enjoying all of the pictures everyone is posting. Cute quilt, darling grandkids, beautiful flowers.

Hope you all have a great week! Get lots of rest, drink lots of water, and exercise - exercise - exercise!!!

Connie
    Central Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,731 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am up and had my first cup of tea.. woke up at 2:30 am as both Tom and I passed out at 6 pm last night..
    I am icing my heel and will go to the gym in a bit.. it is only 27 degrees outside on the 4th of April , what gives with that lol.
    We did go to Olive Garden on Saterday night and I had chicken parmesan... my favorite, I only ate 1/2 as it wasnt all that great, and Tom got a buy one get one, so brought his get one meal home... and split that into 3 meals. and so he has meals set for him...
    Tracy is bringing Taliah's bed so I dont have to get that, but will get curtains and rug and small desk and beanbag chair to round out the room
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,731 Member
    Options
    snowing to beat the band out there.. not going to try and drive to the gym in this will do my indoor walking here..
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Morning, all! It was a terrific weekend. Went into Odessa, both got our hair cut, ate at Johnny Carino's (No Italian places within a hundred miles of the house, or even restaurant chains, so it was a nice change!). I had the grilled seafood medley, and it was stinking awesome. Went to a bookstore, Super Walmart, a real grocery store with actual choices... and went to a Western store, where the DH got me the leather jacket you can see in the picture for a birthday present--he never has the opportunity to shop for either cards or gifts. The jacket has fringed sleeves and the whole bit. It was on a clearance rack that was buy one, get one free, so I got an awesome, long hooded sweater for next winter, as well. Since my usual winter wardrobe consists of long-sleeved T-shirts and an old sweater of his, it's pretty different for me! It's also a medium, and just barely fits, so it's incentive to lose more weight by winter.

We lazed around in the jacuzzi for a while in between shopping sprees, and did the grocery shopping for cold stuff, meat and dairy, before we came back. We even remembered to bring a cooler with us, so stuff wouldn't spoil on the 150 mile trip coming back! :) Life in the boonies.

OK, just to show you how frugal I can be, he disappeared at Walmart to the greeting cards, brought back a birthday card for me. I read it there and left it there. It's possible I am a little too unsentimental... :blush: But hey, he went to the trouble to pick out one that meant something, and it had a lovely sentiment. I read it, I liked it. But why spend $3 for something that will go in a drawer and then the landfill? OK, I suck, you can take away my female card now...

Sylvia - you're still on my mind and in my heart, my dear. Please check in when you can...

Happy Monday, peeples,
    Lisa in West Texas

9h7ltnd8npsj.jpg
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lisa, adorable jacket!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lisa ~ So glad y'all had a good getaway weekend. Your jacket is cute. I cannot imagine not having shopping near. There must be 8 grocery stores within a 4 mile radius of us. My family would love for me to move back to the small town I grew up in but I would hate having to drive a distance to get anywhere.

Carol

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Nephew had an interesting video on Facebook on how a lobster sheds its skin when it outgrows the old one. The presenter's point was the lobster must have been uncomfortable first. Feeling discomfort might be a signal for change. In the book I am reading Dance with Anger she speaks to this too. She adds that it okay to take a step back and be in that uncomfortable place until you are ready to make the change. She also stresses change is not linear and controlling the outcome is not always possible.

In the chapter I am reading today she talks about self-observation is noticing how I behave effects how the other person behaves. We cannot make the other person change, but when we change the other person cannot do the same dance. This chapter dealt with not the inability to express anger rather when anger throws you into cycle where no one wins. By changing your reaction the cycle is broken. Trying to make these changes in times of stress complicates the process. In the example she used when the woman clarified her issues and dealt with them directly the old patterns began to change. The blame game stopped in this case. She closes the chapter with when we put so much energy into trying to change the other person we short change ourselves in not taking full advantage of making our own power to act, not act, and make choices.

Breaking myself of the blame game is no small task. Today I will work towards putting those things in my body that will help me become and stay healthy.

:heart: Margaret