WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh so sorry your area was hit so hard.

Heather love the picture of Bea.

Gloria good to see you.

Pip another great day!
  • margaretturk
    edited April 2016
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi gals,

Cj- “ The discussions on abuse so illustrate the relationship between food and emotions. We talk about how MFP is a lifestyle, not a diet. In fact, I think that MFP is the outward manifestation of a self-healing process. For whatever reason we turned to overeating or making poor food choices, it is only by attacking the root causes of our eating, while using the MFP tools to develop healthy habits, that we can maintain our new, healthy way of life.” Wow brilliantly put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Kim from N. California

Well put!

Penny love the picture.

Kim great picture.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    parking my butt on the couch until laundry is done in the dryer, fold and put it away, then will take a shower.. I just have to lay low until work.. no gym until this junk goes away.. probably not enough steps either... but oh well...
    will take the boys for a walk around the block before go to work..
  • margaretturk
    Options
    Reflections;

When you are dealing with more than one person especially groups of three
    1.Tell the person I am angry with avoid putting someone else in the middle.
    2. If it is a job situation make sure I go through proper channels and be open about it.
    3. If angry own it and not say others say you are doing this.
    4. Avoid secrets and gossip
    5. Try not to become the third party. Encourage those to work it out for themselves.
    6. Observe how a triangle reacts in time of stress.
    7. Avoid using a child (even grown up one as therapist or confidant) I also need to remember I am not my child's therapist.
    8. Distinguish between privacy and secrecy.
    9. Try to keep lines of communication open with others as I work out issues party involved.
    10. Listen to stories of others who have gone through similar problems and what helped them. This is a great group for that.

She ends her books by endorsing how courageous women are in meeting the social and personal changes of today. By listening to our anger and using it to help us make the changes that create healthy relationships.

Sharing this book was meaningful to me and I am starting to see positive changes as I implement some of these ideas. I know it will not be a smooth process and setbacks are normal.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    timeanddate.com/time/map/

I just found this to go along with the discussion of what time it is where someone else lives.
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - we've got a little rain up here in West Texas, and I got peed on coming out of Fort Worth on Sunday, but just talked to my sister, who's northeast of the DFW Metroplex, and she said that, after 20 solid hours of rain, it stopped yesterday afternoon, hasn't rained since. Glad y'all are high and dry. Best wishes to stay that way.

Penny - I'd be happy to edit for you any time. I'm a much better editor than writer, I think. But, as you said, only with other people's stuff. No matter how long I leave mine sit, I cannot edit my own work. I get too caught up in it.

Feeling something like normal today, much less crap on a cracker than yesterday. Got bread rising on the stove, and as soon as that's done, will probably go into town and get some work done at the warehouse.

Got an interesting phone call last night from the publisher of the newspaper in town. I've written a weekly column for years for her, and we know each other pretty well. She's losing her news editor, and wanted to know if I'd be interested in taking it on. I told her I'd only take it as the managing editor, which slants things a little differently, but if anything, I'm overqualified for it. She has to run it by her corporate boss, who I've worked for twice now, but don't know well. The corporate boss, who is the owner's daughter, is... well, mercurial is probably a charitable way to say it, so let's go with that. Much will depend on her mood when the publisher fronts her the question.

I, on the other hand, have to decide whether it's worth it to me to lose 40 to 50 hours a week to a job that, bluntly, pays about one-fourth of what I was making the last time I was "permanently" employed. In this small town, it's actually not bad wages. It would settle out to a couple grand a month, which is nothing to sneeze at, and would allow us to move faster at the warehouse--while simultaneously taking me out of working on stuff at the warehouse, and thereby slowing down what we're trying to accomplish... Just in case it does come through, already told her I'd be taking a Friday once a month and heading for Dallas, but didn't tell her why. None of her business.

Anyway, I know all that sounds confusing. Let's just say, even if they do come back with an offer, which is not at all a surety, I will still have a decision to make as well.

Off to go check on that bread.

Later, my dears,
    Lisa in wet West Texas...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I have been so enjoying your insights. :flowerforyou:

Penny - Yikes! :o

Going to post one more pic of Bea that DDIL took just after I left. Got to download it first.

Well, the Open Reach engineer has just left after 5 hours. :o It is fixed. Of course it was the problem I had told them it was in the first place - a corroded wire between the street pole and our house. Dr Heather was right. Why it took them so long to work it out is beyond me. :sad: But at last it is done.
    The PA to the CEO has said she will ring us to check that all is well this afternoon. DH has a list of things to bring up with her. We are asking for compensation. This since Easter.

DH off colour this morning. Feeling a bit nauseous. :'(

Having my hair trimmed this afternoon. I have what they call a "wet cut" as they just roughly dry it enough so you can go home. No styling. Styling is useless for me with my exercises every morning, so I save quite a bit of money that way. Plus I dye my own roots. :D

Love to all. Heather UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Oh Barbie! Timeanddate.com is a terrific website. You can look up just about ANYTHING about time, dates and the solar system there. What was the moon phase when I was born? Is today a public holiday in Guinea-Bissau? How high above the horizon is will the sun be at noon in Kuala Lumpur?

My husband and I rely on it for many of our needs (especially when we can't quite handle the geometry of the sphere), and bless the people who have dedicated their lives to creating a site that answers so many questions. They must be among the nerdiest nerds ever but we love them for it!
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif where the sun now just goes around and around. Check it out at http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/norway/longyearbyen

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    jowfw8krz37i.jpg

This was taken by DDIL just after we left. She is in the clothes I put her in after her bath. <3 While we were there she was smiling and "talking" back to us. :bigsmile:

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Heather ~Bea is just precious.. just want to give kisses to her xoxo
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    "Heather, Bea is so precious. When I came home from the hospital with Christina my Mom stayed with me for a week. I remember me, Mom and Norma all standing in front of newborn Christina laying on the changing table talking about that first bath. She was so much smaller than Norma's first child was so she was hesitant. I sure was so Mom just took her and into the kitchen we went. I always enjoyed the diaper changing with both my DGDs. Christina had perfected changing them on the foot rest of her recliner. But to me changing their diapers was that one private time I had with them. Singing and talking about Grandma and Grandpa and the wonderful things we would do. So I always took them into the nursery and changed them on the changing table, the same table as when Christina was a baby."

Joyce wrote this and it instantly brought me back to something my mother taught me when DD was brand new infant. I was soooo anxious and quick at things with her, just rushing through everything and anxious about doing it the right way, most efficient way. Well Mom came in and was watching me, without being critical, she gently mentioned that I could look the baby in the eye, watch where her eyes were, coo back at her, stick my tongue out, etc. Just enjoy it, I can't remember her exact words, but I did not feel criticized or judged at that moment, it was a real mentor kind of moment, I never felt so loved by my mom and so gently guided to take in this gift, this treasure of a little infant, that was so scary to me!!! Ah, listenting to you loving being a grandmother heather is making me think of my mom so much!

Have a joyful day everyone <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Heather, Bea is so beautiful. It does look as if she is just ready to coo to mama.

Janetr okc
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    We had a rain free night! Whoo hoo! The bayous are now below their tops but the creeks and rivers are now rising. It's how it always happens. Bayous flood then the rivers. A lot of people flooded, mostly apartments as they are not built up like the houses are. The odd part is that it's a part of Houston that has rarely flooded in the past and all the "normal" flood plains are dry. Final rain tally at my house is 15.25 inches.

Marcelyn in soggy Houston
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Heather, Bea is just amazing...

Lisa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Betty: Heather is writing a memoir and is a published author. Perhaps she will have good advice. According to Writers Digest, a memoir focuses on a particular time in a person's life while an autobiography covers the whole timeline of their life. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Pip: I admire your dedication to bike riding and fitness. The ride home sounds lovely. :smiley:

Chris: in MA: It sounds like you may have found a lovely man. Enjoy exploring your new relationship. :heart:

Marcelynh: I am so happy that both of your homes are dry. Helping neighbors when the water goes down is a wonderful thing to do. We were able to buy our current home because of a 500 year flood that filled the lower floor about 15 inches deep or so. It was under construction at the time. The person who had originally purchased the place backed out of the sale, so we were able to buy after the builders repaired the flood damage. Is there a risk living beside water? Yes, but the risk is worth it in my opinion. :heart:

Joyce: Enjoy your visit with the nurses group. Two is a group. Let us know whether others also come. Baby goats are adorable. :smiley:

Kim: I am sorry about the loss of your dad way back when. I know that much time has gone by and you've made yourself into a successful businesswoman. I'm sure he would be proud of you today. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Best of luck with the phone people. I'm glad you're finally getting some action! :sun: I love the picture of your granddaughter. Thanks for sharing. :heart:

Margaret: Thanks for sharing the book. Your comments have been thought provoking & I appreciated them. :smiley:

Barbie: I love the time zone map and have bookmarked it! :bigsmile:

Today we are picking up our sailboat from the boatyard and paying the bill. :ohwell: I hope we are able to enjoy it once again. Sailing has been an important part of our lives since our early twenties. :heart: Our son has a potential buyer for his sailboat coming on Saturday. I hope they love it and make him an offer he can't refuse. It would give him the chance to get something that would be easier for him to enjoy in his new job assignment. Keep your fingers crossed for a successful sale.

I spoke to DD last night. Her DBIL is still in the hospital and the outcome is not in question. He will not make it. What a horrible thing for the family to endure, especially his wife and child, and his parents. I don't know whether he is in pain. I hope not.

Just at this moment, I am counting my blessings. My children are healthy and well. My husband's health has improved in the past few months, and my life has some fun in it. Of course I wish some things could be different. Who doesn't? I think it is better to focus on what is good in life whenever possible.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Terri, (((Hugs))) back at ya. I agree with Peach in that you are missed when you don’t post. Don’t work too hard. Have you been winning any radio contests lately? I too am doing some spot push-ups each day and think of Mary each time I do. I hope you get rid of that cough soon. I’ve heard of so many people that can’t shake the cough.

Bridget, did you say your doctor put you on this diet? Are you eating nothing but the shakes? I’d be having “chewing withdrawal”.

Sylvia, your trip to Joplin sounds like fun. I’m so glad you are improving so much. (((Hugs)))

Penny, it’s hard for me to wrap my head around that strange land you live in, with its light and dark days and sub-freezing temperatures. I love the pictures you post!!! (((Hugs)))

CJ, I can’t believe it takes that long to get a crown? It’s been a while since I had one but I think it was ready in a week. At least they do a much better job with the temporary ones these days.

Baja, welcome. You will find this a great group of women for support and information. Come often and post when you like. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

MicheleNC, I really feel for you. I know it’s bad enough that you can’t drive but then to have to keep the peace with Vince so he will take you all the places you need to go. Hang in there, girlfriend, and you will be back behind the wheel before you know it. ((((Hugs))))

NB, I highly recommend logging your food, no matter how much you eat or why. The log can’t help us if we aren’t honest and log the good with the bad. *Just a suggestion* Hope you had a good time with your buddies.

Kim, beautiful picture. The landscape is soooo different on the West coast than it is over here.

Heather, you can post pictures of Bea every day. She is just so precious.

Kay, I feel the same way about college reunions. My school wasn’t large with only about 3000 students but we were all so spread out that I only knew those in my circle. Many of them weren’t in my class so wouldn’t be invited to a reunion. I kept up with a few for a number of years but even that fell by the wayside. I don’t even know if they have ever had a reunion.

Gloria, hello-wave-smiley-emoticon.gif Glad you had time to stop in for a minute. Take care.

Pip, I think it’s great how much you enjoy your riding. If only we all did?

Chris, just know others of us enjoyed the details on PB and not just Pip. widely-grinning-smiley-emoticon.gif

Marcelyn, thank goodness your homes are dry. I’ve been in Houston when they had a flash flood with nothing like this amount of water. I know there are areas that flood very quickly and can be very dangerous. Stay safe!!

Gayle, you have been missed. Wow, my heart goes out to you and your family. When it rains, it pours. I’ll keep you all in my prayers. Come back when you can and give us an update. ((((Hugs))))

Heather, I hope the phone people show up and can find a solution to your problems.

Penny, your hubby’s prep for a walk in the field looks somewhat the same as a Southerner’s preparation. rambo-with-gun.gif

Margaret, so happy for you to be seeing positive changes from reading the book. Everything is a journey isn’t it?

Lisa, it seems you never go for very long without a job of some description heading in your direction. I’m surprised the job would be that time consuming in a town that small. Will be interesting to see what you decide if they make an offer.

Heather, happy dancehappy-elmo-smiley-emoticon.gif that you finally got things fixed. And wouldn’t you know that you told them the problem all along. I’m just happy that it is done and you can go on with your life. And OMG what a doll that Bea is!!!

Katla, sending best wishes for your son to get his boat sold. Sad about your DD’s BIL. I’ll keep the family in my prayers. You have a great attitude. I’m so glad DH has improved and hope ya’ll get lots of sailing in. (((Hugs)))

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’ve been staying busy with little projects around the house and the HOA and Women of the Moose. Last night when I left for the meeting, I wore a new top I had bought on sale at Steinmart and DH made a comment about how dressed up I was and how nice I looked. Then he said “You are awfully dressed up to be going to meet a bunch of women”. I said, “well you never take me any place to dress up” and laughed. Then I realized it is true. Not that I can think of any place I want to go where I’d need to dress up. Living in a resort beach town everything here is very casual. That’s just a woman thing to enjoy dressing up, anyway. I have never known a man that really liked to put on a suit and tie. Especially any like DH that wore them to work every day of their lives.
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • russianalmond
    russianalmond Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I am starting my 3rd week on exercise and diet program. Lost 6 pounds in the first week and nothing in the second week. I found that a little discouraging, but will keep on program since I am feeling so much better eating clean and walking, now that it is glorious out and no ice. I am also cycling....

Wishing you all a lovely month of April.

Thanks

• margaretturk
    Options
    Heather, Janet, and DJ thank you for positive feedback.
  • Clairblue2
    Clairblue2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new & a little unsure. I don't usually post to boards, but would like to give it a try. I tend to be a bit of a lone wolf when it comes to weight loss (fear of failure?) but sure could use motivation & support!

I live in Wisconsin, will turn 60 this summer & am 3 years retired & LOVING IT. My husband is also retired. We have two adult sons who are doing well & live nearby. I love to read & garden & resale shop (I volunteer in a charity thrift store). Spring is finally here (I think -- its never a sure thing in Wisconsin) & I've been out weeding & cleaning up the yard ("functional fitness", right?). Had an IT Band injury over the winter, so wasn't able to be as active as I would have liked. Prior to that, I was participating in a high intensity interval class, which, in retrospect, probably contributed to the injury. Need to be more gentle & respectful to this aging body -- its done well by me.

I am usually able to lost around 10 pounds on my own, but its at that point that I typically crash & burn & it all comes back. At a very recent visit to my physician (yesterday) I found that my sugar/carb intake should be watched more carefully. I do admit to having a HUGE sweet tooth which I've let run rampant & now needs to be dealt with (beaten down is more like it!). The cholesterol results aren't back yet & I shudder to think what those results may look like.

I exercise -- take low impact & core classes at a nearby gym (3-4 times/week) & play tennis (1-2 times/week). The exercise part of the equation isn't so much the problem. It's the overeating (usually in secret, fooling no one but myself) that gets me every time.

Looking forward to trying out the 50+ board experience!

Sue