WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Heather: Come on over! It's on my bucket list to visit London, even if only for a long weekend.

Hawaii is spectacular. You have to visit the different islands, not just Oahu (Honolulu/Waikiki). From beaches, to rainforests to volcanos to the darkest, starriest skies on earth. The people pride themselves on being warm and friendly (the aloha spirit). I've never felt cold in the water, even in winter. California, yes, that's where I owned a wet suit. My Caribbean experience has been diving in the San Blas Islands off of Panama. I've decided that my next hobby will be collecting islands. B)

After posting that I wouldn't go the gym, I grabbed my coat and just got myself inside the room. Once there, the rest was easy. I'm NOT an afternoon exerciser, so this was a NSV for me.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills where the sun is peeking out and the big meltoff has begun.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    janetr[ - i c u 2/b]
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

MicheleNC, actually Thompson’s Water Seal works on concrete as well as wood. Take a look at it the next time you are at Home Depot or Lowes. Our handyman likes it as much as we do. It might work on your pavers.

Janetr, I know what you mean about missing Mary. I think of her every day when I do pushups as she got me going in that challenge. I do hope she is doing well and look forward to her return in August. If you can see a difference in your body then please don’t worry about the scale. You are doing a fantastic job. (((Hugs)))

Joyce, I’m glad your sister is at least going to wait to make any decisions. Still sending prayers for all of you.

Laurie, I know it has to be hard trying to support your son and wanting the best for him. If we could only just give our children the knowledge we have! We just want the best for them and want them to be happy and it’s so very hard on us when they aren’t. Know that you have our support.

Allie, I agree that your trip to the wedding will be worth it to get to spend the time with loved ones. I’m so glad you decided to go.

Margaret, Kim and Miriam, very good discussion on feeding and watering plants. For those of us with a black thumb, feel free to share any and all gardening tips any time you want.

Lisa, I’m so glad you had a good time with your family, smoke and all.

Margaret, it must be something about getting older that we can now enjoy the simple pleasures. My DH and I are like a couple of kids when a few Mallards lite in the back yard. We stand at the window and point and giggle. Glad you got the visit.

MicheleNC, congrats on yet another pair of pants that have become “just too big”. Ya gotta love it!!! Keep it up!

Kimses, just today I told my DH that it really isn’t fair. He had a burrito and I had the same ingredients on lettuce (taco salad). We were talking about food and I said you know, I’d love to have mine on a nice soft flour tortilla. He looked at me like that had never crossed his mind. surprise-smiley-emoticon.gif

Pollance, welcome. It sounds like a good idea to get on with your life, so good for you. Take it one day at a time and make improvements with baby steps. That will get you where you want to go. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called. Come often.

Pip, you are surely going to tell us where you are in the picture? (later) Well, I guess you were the belle of the ball, you hottie.

Joyce, how wonderful that Charlie had a good day and got to go to Karaoke. I hope it went well.

Debbie, welcome. We are always happy to have new ladies wanting a healthier lifestyle. Come often and join right in. Please sign each post with your name to make it easier for us to respond.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I don’t remember who asked us to slow down so she could catch up, but I second that. Once again I have read all but the last two pages. It’s time to go prepare dinner now. I baked chicken earlier today so just have to cook the veggies. DH has some left over rice and gravy he will add to the mix. Ladies, keep living life to the fullest!!
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,366 Member
    Options
    Rori - I would sooooooo love to meet up with you in London. <3 Pleeeeeeze come over!

In Britain there is a big furore about the "celebrity couple", of whom one had a threesome with another couple. Couldn't find it anywhere as Google have taken down the links, even to the US and there is a huge injunction on it. Eventually found it on a French newspaper. No big deal. And it all happened years ago. :ohwell: I'm afraid I was just as curious as everyone else, but the secrecy has exacerbated the whole thing. :* How ridiculous.

Heather UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

I don’t remember who asked us to slow down so she could catch up, but I second that. Once again I have read all but the last two pages. It’s time to go prepare dinner now. I baked chicken earlier today so just have to cook the veggies. DH has some left over rice and gravy he will add to the mix. Ladies, keep living life to the fullest!!
    I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC

It was me DJ. In just the blink of an eye the page fills up before me as I try and read up on all that is going on with this wonderful group of women! It's wonderful we can come on here and share our lives.

Temps reached the high 70s here in NE oHIo! Cold one day and Hot the next. Husband has already told me he was NOT putting on the air conditioner quite yet. We go thru this every time the seasons change sigh....the house fans are on and the shades pulled on all sun facing windows!

I am hoping, praying and everything else that hubs hears something this week in the form of a job offer. I can tell he is reaching the end of his rope and is starting to mumble about finances. 16 months, 100+ applications, 17+ phone/skype interviews and numerous campus visits later.....

Enjoy your evenings ladies,

Cheri
    Fairlawn oHIo
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Rori: I haven't been to Hawaii since I was 17 and a recent High School graduate. When my best friend and I were in the eighth grade we asked our parents permission to go to Hawaii for our High School graduation if we earned the money. They agreed, never for a moment believing we'd succeed. We had a lovely graduation trip, paid for with our own hard earned money. :heart: It is a very good memory, but so far I've never been back. Maybe someday in the future. . .
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    cheri ... Hoping your husband hears something very soon!!
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Math professor report: no sparks. zero. Conversation was interesting, and we agreed on nearly everything, but we just weren't having fun. harumpf. oh well.

Larisa in Seattle
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    SYLVIA, so glad to hear from you!!!!!! Sounds like you are right on track but I do miss hearing about all your excursions with the grand kids.

Margaret, I haven't been responding to your book on anger either. I have read it and it is so interesting. I have given up on my husband's anger, I don't think it will ever change and any behavior change I do does not affect it. He is totally responsible to any hole in the wall he makes and repainting it or any other mess he makes in the house because of it. I have always been known for my lay back, please excuse my spelling here, kay sura sura. Just be phonetic with it and you will be able to read it. I know it is a foreign language. At work I was always assigned precepting or mentoring the difficult nurses because of my patience with them.

Allison, just accept the gift of flowers and money. God wants some one to show you the grace and appreciation you deserve. Have fun and spend it on yourself!

We have a new BBQ place in town. I think it's a chain bbq place, Mission BBQ. So we got food from there tonight. He now never wants food from there again. He likes KC bbq sauce at another BBQ place in town Bandanas BBQ. He loves the KC sauce. So he ordered the KC sauce from there and it isn't the same. I am sure you can get KC from the store because the ribs looked so tender. But they didn't have potato salad. But Michelle and I enjoyed it. I ordered pulled pork and it as good enough without any sauce.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Did a "You Can Do Pilates" DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do one more segment of "Hot body Boot Camp" DVD, hold my plank, then do an Aimee Nicotera Lower and Upper Body Blast DVD"

I got up to go to the bathroom and a cat went and laid on my part of the bed. So I guess I'm not allowed back in bed until Vince gets up and she moves to his side where it's warm.

Oh Sylvia, where fort art thou Syliva????

kim - good luck on your sale

CJ - we're on a septic and I never, ever pour grease down my drain. Well...to be honest, if some misses the jar that I put it on, that little bit goes down the drain. But that's it. As a matter of fact, if I have something liquid (say, egg wash from cooking), I'll pour that in the jar to throw out. I figure it's less that's going into our septic. I have a bunch of empty jars set aside specifically for this purpose. My daughter (who lives in an apt so if her pipes get clogged she just calls maintenance) pours hers down her drain. she also has a food disposal. Don't know why the people in the house before us had a disposal installed since that house was on a septic, too. What about putting old medications into the garbage then recycling the plastic bottle?

Debbie - welcome to those under 50, a little under 50, over 50 (like me). Everyone is welcome.

Karen - I usually keep some snacks in my pocketbook. Maybe keep a few of those energy bars in there? Or some dried edamame (the advantage to them is that they will force you to drink more water.)

Lisa - safe travels

janetr - I hope things work out for your gd and that her wrist isn't broken

Welcome everyone new!

Sylvia - it's so wonderful to hear from you!!!! Wow! those tunip plants are beautiful!

djsolich - logging your foods will really help you wanting to change your eating. I know it has mine

katla - I'm so sorry about dd's BIL. How heart-wrenching!

pollance - best of luck on those interviews

Alison - how nice of your girlfriend to do so much for you. I'm sure she's very appreciative of all you do for her mom.

aleta - I've made shortbread cookies before with chickpeas in them and no one could tell that there were chickpeas in them. So I bet your cookies will be real good

Rori - your pictures are gorgeous. But I must say, I'm glad I'm not there. I read somewhere that you can hardboil eggs in a pressure cooker so I gave it a try. They come out really good. And once the pot comes up to pressure, you just cook them for 7 minutes. Isn't the tofu a good substitute for the oil? I always use the silken variety and Vince doesn't know it (and I'm not telling). So much better than all that oil. Yea needing to replace part of your tankini. Good for you getting to the gym. I'm definitely not an afternoon exerciser, either. So I congratulate you, I know how hard it can be to do it then

DJ - thanks for the advice about the Thompson's Water Seal. Interesting.....will have to check it out.

Michele in NC
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies!

Pollance... I admire your strength and courage to go on after all your heartbreaks. I can't imagine what you have gone through. These awesome ladies have helped me reinvent myself and losing over 40 lbs, has given me the energy and self confidence I need. Stick with us, we're here to help in anyway we can. It's nice to have a fellow Patriot here.

Larissa...so sorry things didn't spark between you and MP. Consider it a pleasant evening away from home. I wanted so much for you to have juicy details to share.

Sylvia...so glad you are doing well.

Heather...it doesn't get any better than when a son says a visit would be awesome.

Ok, I'm ready to spill about my trip to Newport, RI with PB (potential boyfriend). I'm sure the neighbors were talking about the tall, dark and handsome man who picked me up in the Porche. When we got to Newport we discovered that it was Daffodil Day and there must have been a million daffodils in bloom. The weather was sunny and we enjoyed walking around the beautiful, quaint town with the scent of daffodils everywhere. He was not raised in the United States and has a continental charm and impeccable manners. He would always take my hand as we walked and he was always on the street side, open doors, put my coat on and off, etc. He is extremely intelligent and has some interesting talents. We talked constantly, he loves good conversation, thinks it is extremely important, and said that one of the things he likes about me is our great conversations. He makes me feel like a queen, I can't stop smiling when I'm with him. He must be feeling something too because within 1/2 hour of dropping me off he sent me a message thanking me for a wonderful time and saying that he enjoyed every moment with me. Sigh....the romantic movie continues...I think his status may go to BF (boyfriend) soon.

Chris in MA who has stars in her eyes.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,726 Member
    Options
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies!

Pollance... I admire your strength and courage to go on after all your heartbreaks. I can't imagine what you have gone through. These awesome ladies have helped me reinvent myself and losing over 40 lbs, has given me the energy and self confidence I need. Stick with us, we're here to help in anyway we can. It's nice to have a fellow Patriot here.

Larissa...so sorry things didn't spark between you and MP. Consider it a pleasant evening away from home. I wanted so much for you to have juicy details to share.

Heather...it doesn't get any better than when a son says a visit would be awesome.

Ok, I'm ready to spill about my trip to Newport, RI with PB (potential boyfriend). I'm sure the neighbors were talking about the tall, dark and handsome man who picked me up in the Porche. When we got to Newport we discovered that it was Daffodil Day and there must have been a million daffodils in bloom. The weather was sunny and we enjoyed walking around the beautiful, quaint town with the scent of daffodils everywhere. He was not raised in the United States and has a continental charm and impeccable manners. He would always take my hand as we walked and he was always on the street side, open doors, put my coat on and off, etc. He is extremely intelligent and has some interesting talents. We talked constantly, he loves good conversation, thinks it is extremely important, and said that one of the things he likes about me is our great conversations. He makes me feel like a queen, I can't stop smiling when I'm with him. He must be feeling something too because within 1/2 hour of dropping me off he sent me a message thanking me for a wonderful time and saying that he enjoyed every moment with me. Sigh....the romantic movie continues...I think his status may go to BF (boyfriend) soon.

I'm so happy for you!!!! This how I felt with my DH 43 years ago n still do! Dance in the moonlight:h: Gayle Minneapolis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    :) I went to my 20th high school reunion at a time when I was divorced, at a good weight, and feeling very good about myself. Our nametags had our senior year yearbook photos on them so it made it a little easier to recognize each other. I was an invisible wallflower in high school and the event confirmed it for me. The people who recognized me, remembered me either because my younger sister was a cheerleader or because they sat near me in math class and copied off my paper. I stayed until I finished eating my dinner and then excused myself graciously and went home.

:) Jake and I went to my 40th college reunion in Southern Minnesota as part of a long RV trip. In college, I was also invisible and there was no one there who really remembered me. The joy of the trip was spending time on the campus that I dearly loved. Our 50th reunion is next year and even if I could afford to go, I wouldn't go. Once was enough.

:'(Larisa, sorry the date wasn't exciting.

:)Chris, how great that you and PB had a great time together

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    16,000 steps
    172 minutes of dog walking
    50 minutes riding the exercise bike
    laundry (I love my washer and dryer)

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Blew the calorie count today. Everyone has been asking me to make lasagna. I make everything from scratch except the cheeses required. Home made bread too. It has been so long since I made it. Have to admit it was so good to cook for others and see them truly enjoy it.

Not sure if any of you have read The Four Languages of Love. My personal way of showing love is by acts of service. So making a meal for my friends and family is a way of showing my love for them.

So many posts I can't keep up. Have not posted anything for a bit. Have been trying to keep busy so I stay in a better emotional state. Sleep is not great but I just keep pushing forward. Have been asked out several times but have no desire to date at this time. To be honest not sure if the ex wanted to try I would even say yes to that. Need to find me again and try and find a happy place. I am eating better have not been to gym since thursday. Tattoo needs time to heal. He will finish it up tomorrow so Wednesday I can go back and work on lower body only till Thursday or Friday.

Sorry not responding to any particular people just trying to catch up on the posts. Working on my phone so harder to get them all read.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Miriam and Joyce that's fine if you haven't responded. I respect if this doesn't have the same meaning to you as it does to me. The book hit a chord with me because I know part of my struggle with weight is emotional. In my family anger is a difficult emotion. Because of these difficulties I have had trouble using my anger to make changes that benefit me. Unfortunately the opposite occurred including sustaining my weight loss . I cannot change anyone except myself. I agree with you Lenora with certain people and situations I need to step away. The author encourages this in certain situations so I can gain perspective. The author is this book does warn that some relationships will end when I make changes. Sometimes relationships just end. For me the take away is to become a better observer and listener so if I find myself in a negative pattern with someone I have choices and I want to be clear what those choices are hence the reason to gather information about the relationship.

She also said as I make changes my part in the negative pattern becomes clearer. I was on the verge of distancing myself away from a friend I had had for about five years. With the insights from reflecting on this book I have a different perspective and react differently to this friend. I am much clearer in my relationship to her and feel we are better friends because of it. In this particular relationship I no longer want to distance myself.

It is too early to tell if it will improve my relationship with DS. What it did help me with was stepping back and not focusing so much of my energy on his problems while at the same time keeping an emotional connection with him. Once again gaining a different perspective on a problem that was causing me a great deal of anxiety.
    Without that anxiety I am finding it easier to stick to my eating and exercise goals for the day.

Yes I am an emotional eater. The unresolved emotions intensify my anxiety. I relieve the anxiety through eating. I want to learn to work through my emotions so I no longer sabotage all the hard work of losing weight.

I believe Gayle is using a supportive program to accomplish something similar.

:heart: Margaret
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA: Congratulations on the fabulous time with an interesting guy. :flowerforyou:

We put DH's fishing boat in the water today and had a fun ride. The boat is now in its new slip in the marina. This one is closer to shore and easier to reach than the other slip, plus we can see the boat clearly from our house. I know we should go down and close it up for the night, but neither of us has the energy. The weather looks fair enough. The weather forecast for tomorrow is good and DH is to tired to help. I think I'll let things be as they are, after I go down for a last check. :wink: I don't want to make a mistake by being sloppy with the close up. :noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies!

Chris- Wow. A gentleman and a scholarship and tall, dark and handsome. He is beginning to sound like Prince Charming.
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good evening Ladies!

Me too....you have no idea how much I wanted there to be juicy details :lol:
    He's a truly good guy, and very smart, but extremely reserved, and unnervingly thin, whereas I'm a bit...kinetic and childlike and I can't seem to repress it very well, and, well, I'm a big, viking woman-- I swear to god my arm muscles are bigger than his. I think I got less and less relaxed as the "date" wore on. He has graciously already emailed me to thank me for umm, putting him through the experience. Poor guy. Definitely a sweet soul.

Good news about your PB though! That gives me hope :smile: