WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
vn074po4ah62.jpgytkram3bun57.jpg

Welcome to a wonderful supportive community of women. The name of the thread is Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome.

Some of us have been posting on this thread for awhile and others are new.

Please join us on the journey to health, weight loss, and fitness.

If you made any goals or resolutions for March, how did you do?

If you have made any goals or resolutions for April, please share them with us.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

Resolutions for March (with end of the month comments)
*weight training twice a week or more ( more than twice a week)
*continue using what I'm learning from the tai chi book (gave up tai chi because the nerve damage in my legs makes standing still terribly painful)
*continue working on organizing line dance CD's (good progress)

Resolutions for April
*weight training twice a week or more
*10,000 steps a day
*continue organizing CD's
*meditation four days a week or more
*make a plan and prepare the ground for planting bulbs in the fall

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,078 Member
    Options
    April already!!!!????!!!!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Barbie, thank you so much for moving us "positively" into April. I always think of April as the start of Spring, and a sort of renewal. With that in mind I move forward with anticipation.

March goals (results):
    - weight resistance exercise three days a week (only missed two days)
    - cardio (treadmill and/or stationary bike/water aerobics) three days a week rest on the 7th day (cardio is easier for me than strength so no problem, but no water aerobics )
    - log all food and drink, I don't drink alcohol so its mainly coffee and water. I have no trouble getting this all in. (This has become such a habit that I will remove it from goals)
    - Enjoy life and "live in the moment". Thanks Barbie for repeating this, I think I'm finally getting it through my head (making progress, digress more often than I would like)

April resolutions (after Barbie's descriptive difference between goals vs. resolutions I am following her lead. So thankful for her as our leader).
    - continue with 3 days each of weight resistance training alternately with 3 days of cardio. I had measurable results at the end of March. Thank you Barbie and Mary for the nudge to get started.
    - resist the urge to weigh myself almost everyday and measure my success by the number I see. I have really had no change in the last year, up and and back down same 3-4 pounds. Decided to maintain here at the bariatric surgeon's suggestion.
    - Lead and not follow in my food choices especially when dining out, keeping in mind "what I want the most".

Again want to take a minute to say how thankful I am for all of you and what a big part of my life journey you have all become. Hard to believe I can feel such camaraderie with ladies I have never met, but in my heart I "know" you as great friends

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I'm the first one to check in!!!!! Maybe that means I have no life. :(

Penny, sometimes I think I want to be you. You have the most interesting life. You live in such an exoctic place then get to go teaching in other exoctic places. Where you live has so much history and so many stories. I know we do to but your's is more interesting.

Heather, Bea is just reaching out to grab your's and our hands. She has already grabbed our heart.

My sister had her appointment with her surgeon today. She has this very uncomfortable drain and was hoping it would come out today. But she is still having to much drainage for it to come out. But the worst part was that he told her in the 4 areas he opened up, there were 12 areas that were malignant melanoma. They will make the appointment for her oncologist so she doesn't know when that is. She has the highest regard for her team that took care of her for her breast cancer so she trusts them fully.

Just found out today that when my daughter and family come this weekend that my son in law is planning on doing most of the cooking. She is so concerned that their visit will be to much stress on us. I do't know why she feels that way. I would like to taste my grand daughter's cooking but what they cook is pancakes and eggs etc. But they cook all the time at home.

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Happy April everyone!!!

Michele in NC
  • afhcreate
    afhcreate Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Goals for April : make daily walking a habit; drink 8+ glasses per day; formal exercise 5x a week. Good luck all
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    March Resolutions Along with comments:
    1. Log every bite and swallow. Done. This has become either a habit or an obsession. Since it is good for me, I'm calling it a good habit. :wink:

2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength. Most of this I've built into my life with yoga classes, but I missed several Monday's this month due to various reasons. I did okay, but not as well as usual. :ohwell:

3. Have fun every day. Done! Fun can be as simple as watching the birds and we have them year round. Today we noticed that the Osprey are back from their winter home and seem to be house hunting. :bigsmile:

4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more! Done. this was one of the hardest new habits to put into place & it was worth the trouble. :smiley:

5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly. I'm doing well with sleep and have had to go to the other room less frequently. DH has had his snoring under better control. :bigsmile:

I keep on using the same goals because they keep me healthy and happy. I subscribe to the theory that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions : (no surprises here)
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • calefor
    calefor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    :) Happy April Fools Day everyone! :)
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My April goals:
    1. Lose 5 #s my monthly goal until I reach my final weight goal
    2. Log food & meet MFP goals daily
    3. Meditate 3xwk
    4. Yoga stretch daily
    5. Daily walk
    6. Finish current knitting project

ldw from north shore Ma.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    well had a huge post and hit a wrong button and poof its gone....Jean got home safely and wants a do over..
    oldest grandaughter wants to come out here this summer and go camping... grandpa doesn't camp so I am hoping maybe we can talk the girls into coming down to Florida this winter..
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    happy april B) thanks barbie for wiping the slate clean once again.

april focus:

Embrace feeling lighter and not look at the number on the scale

Celebrate that my family and I are all well

Shoulders back, stand tall and breathe

Dig in the garden

Believe in the value of my work everyday.

Karen from ny
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • obedient670
    obedient670 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm glad to find this group. Not quite 50 yet but pushing it..October.
    My goals for April are ...

1. Resistance trading 3x a week
    2. Cardio 3 x a week
    3. Elkhart Tolle guided meditation at least 2x a week
    4. LOG food intake every day.
    5. Board the cruise ship April 30 wearing the cute white shorts that fit me last summer!!!

It's motivating to read all your goals! Have a great month all and good luck!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy April 1st ~ Stormy weather last night and heavy rains today.

Lisa ~ Love the pics of the quilt and the grands. Aren't we lucky to have grand children!?!

Barbie ~ Thanks for keeping this thread going.

Everyone have a great day!

Carol

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Book marked

Carol Happy Dance!

March's goals:
    Goal for March is take time for myself and finding that calm space. Do my best to take care of myself and not overdo. No is such a great word. Yes to those things that give joy!

Did the best I could given I dealt with two seriously ill loved ones.

For March my goal is to let compassion be my guiding mantra. As I navigate this difficult time I tell myself what must be protected, what must be restored, and what must be let go.

Goals staying the same for April with the addition of practicing some of the ideas learning in the book Dance With Anger.

Examples using anger as a signal for change. Reflecting on family roots and how they handled problems. Listening to others stories as a spring board towards healing. Reflecting on what am I responsible for/ what not. Making choices from a place of calm. It is okay to be uncertain and wait to act from a place of calm. Use that as a time to observe and gather data about my reactions. Setting limits on what I can and cannot do. Giving space for others to solve their own problems rather than jumping in with advice. Rather than give advice sharing my story if I think it is appropriate to the situation. Speak my truth while realizing I cannot control the audience.

:heart:

Margaret
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Barbie Thank you for keeping the thread going, for being so positive and sharing your goals and resolutions.
    Lisaawesome quilt! My older son would have adored that. Your granddaughter Haley looks so much like my Holly Anne (DYD) at that age, with the ponytail poof on top, and the bright smile.

JoyceWhen my kids take over the cooking it is an expression of love and concern. Feel loved!

Goals for April: Cardio 30 minutes 3 times per week, increasing difficulty on the elliptical.
    Strength training 2times per week, focus on upper body and core
    Yoga at least once per week for mental health
    Continue to lose 0.5-1 pounds per week
    Weigh at least weekly

Resolutions: Log everything that goes in my mouth. I have done well this past month, so keep it up!
    Eat back a small portion of my exercise calories
    Get outside for a while each day
    Stop sweating the small stuff

Have a great day all!
    Love,
    Lora in beautiful springtime Indiana

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lisa, loved fhe quilt. You are so talented in so many areas. The grands are precious. Love the hair do. :)

Janetr okc
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All! Happy Friday, April first! We are no fools. We know what works! Thanks Barbie for continuing our thread!

March resolutions and goals:
    strength train a minimum of three times a week
    walk daily
    get all of my water in!!!
    log my meals daily
    complete two home improvement projects

Well, despite being sick with the crud for two-three weeks in March; I accomplished everything on my list. I did fall short on the walking due to illness and a pf flare up. So...for April:

April resolutions and goals:
    add and complete squat challenge to my fitness regime
    one aerobic/cardio activity each day
    log everything
    water- drink it; TURN IT OFF
    complete three projects for daycare

My first three res/goals are self explanatory; about the water: I RESOLVE to make turning off the water when I am not using it. I have formed a bad, bad habit of leaving the water running as I multi-task around the kitchen. I have no water saving problems in the bathroom. I turn off water while I brush my teeth, I turn off water in shower as I soap up/shampoo and turn it back on to rinse. But for some reason, as I cook, clean, go about my daily tasks in the kitchen I will turn on the water to say, fill a glass then leave it running as I do something else...This is a new habit, so I am hoping the resolution and having it in the front of my brain will help me break it quickly!

Lisa-love the quilt! And your grandchildren are adorable!

Love and hugs to all <3
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Again want to take a minute to say how thankful I am for all of you and what a big part of my life journey you have all become. Hard to believe I can feel such camaraderie with ladies I have never met, but in my heart I "know" you as great friends
    Janetr OKC

Thank you Barbie for moving us forward into April! March flew by in my world. It went out last nite in a fury of wind and rain literally. The dog hid under my bed.

Janet, thank you for expressing so well how I also feel about this wonderful group of women! So thankful and blessed to have you all in my life!

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    <3 Thank you all for starting April with spirituality---gratitude, resolution, affection, sharing, caring--I need you all to walk this journey with me
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif