WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Kisses: happy anniversary!!!! 27 years you are still newlyweds, try 42. Gayle Minneapolis
  • Chakra7Chic
    Chakra7Chic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm new to posting on this site. Looking forward to a great April and getting to know all of you. I'm from North Dakota, have a Fitbit HR which I try to get 7,000-10,000 steps per day. The weather is finally warming up here so walking my dog is great exercise for both of us! Tracked everything I've eaten and drank today which is a huge start for me. Have a great weekend! Melanie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :)Rori, I am about two hours west of Seattle, so I might be able to get to Seattle during the day

<3 Barbie
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    l61yc0u9va6d.jpeg
    Just had to share this crazy fortune I just got!!! I don't think I want any "gains"!
    Betty
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Newbies: Welcome! This is a wonderful group of supportive women "of a certain age" who come from all over the place. :flowerforyou:

Pip: BWAHAHAHA! :devil:

Lisa: I'd bet on you in a trivia contest anytime! Good luck. :smiley:

Beth: I'll be sending good thoughts for your son's music scholarship audition. :heart:

Anne from WN: Getting to the gym regularly made a huge difference for me. I hope it does good things for you, too. I think it is a great goal. :flowerforyou:

Sue: I am happy to hear that you're feeling better. :flowerforyou:

Rori: Regarding travel: Go on down to Colorado Springs and visit the Garden of the Gods. It is breathtaking. DS used to live near there. Even better, you could come here and visit me. There is lots of lovely scenery here, too, and the end of June should be gorgeous. :smiley:

My son and daughter-in-law have been successful in finding a new home in the greater Washington DC area. It will be a couple of weeks before they can move in. I hope for lots of great pictures when they do.
    Tomorrow is my next riding lesson and my first as a non-beginner. I can hardly wait to get my more confident & assertive self into the saddle. :laugh:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Lenora ... My son is hoping to attend Lipscomb University in Nashville to get a Bachelors of Music in Contemporary Music, specifically songwriting. He will be auditioning with an acoustic guitar ... His primary instrument (although he can play the trumpet and piano as well). He will sing tomorrow but as a way of demonstrating his musicianship with the guitar. He's singing/playing both Blackbird and one of his own compositions/lyrics entitled Loving Arms. We're hoping for the best as he's not made a plan b.

Beth
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore - I am on the squat challenge!

It's been a busy couple of days as we gear up for the end of high school for both kids!

My goals for this month include NOT bruising my ribs, lol. Positive goals, include:

Squat Circuit Challenge - follow the plan every day for the next 30
    Eat. My. Veggies. - I've slid some on this and need to get back up to par.
    Stick to my exercise plan 5 days per week, plus the squat challenge.
  • p_dillow
    p_dillow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just came upon your group while looking for ways to stick to Fitness Pal plan since losing weight is imperative. Love all the support you all are giving each other. Maybe that's what I need to change my eating habits. I've developed a hemidiaphragm which causes me to lose 50% of my lung capacity and is probably due to my obesity. Never have stayed on a diet for long, or else lost weight and regained it within a few months. My goal for April is to note everything I eat, try doing Zumba Gold or walk for 30 minutes 3 to 4 times weekly. I figure that's a good start if both accomplished.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    W.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    p_dillow wrote: »
    Just came upon your group while looking for ways to stick to Fitness Pal plan since losing weight is imperative. Love all the support you all are giving each other. Maybe that's what I need to change my eating habits. I've developed a hemidiaphragm which causes me to lose 50% of my lung capacity and is probably due to my obesity. Never have stayed on a diet for long, or else lost weight and regained it within a few months. My goal for April is to note everything I eat, try doing Zumba Gold or walk for 30 minutes 3 to 4 times weekly. I figure that's a good start if both accomplished.

welcome.gif..along with logging food and starting a walking program, come back to this thread every day and read the posts to build a community of supportive friends
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    What a roller coaster of a day.

Started with giving the program at Church Women United. What a sweet bunch of ladies! (Kind of reminded me of another sweet bunch.) many of the women were African American therefore very participatory in the presentation. There was a lot of "yes Lord"s and "amen sister"s. Plus these women knew their scripture and would quote it out loud along with me. It was truly amazing.

Then, I went to the Honda dealership and traded in my 2008 perfectly fine (except for the killer shrapnel shooting airbag) CRV for a brand spanking new 2016 with 3 miles on it. It is quite the dream car, and they did give me a great deal. It has leather seats, a backup camera, a right lane blind spot camera, and a navigation system. I definitely traded up.

Then, I had to charge my Fitbit and forgot to put it back on before I headed out for the three mile walk so I didn't get credit for my steps in the weekly challenge. Ok, thus one is just whiny, but I am spoiled.

Now, I am really about to be a spoiled rotten, selfish princess, so skip this part if you want to continue to like me. My sister fell and broke her other wrist (you may or may not remember she broke her right one in Seotember and I spent three weeks with her). She was shopping and it happened outside the store in the rain. The scary part is that she doesn't remember falling, which makes me wonder if something else is going on. Well, the niece called me to tell me while she was on the way to the store to see about my sister. She definitely wants (I hate to go so far as to say expects) me to head on out there again. I really don't want to go. I have a class starting tomorrow that is going to last for the next four Saturdays. I'm doing pulpit supply on Sunday morning at two churches, and I've promised a math teacher to sub for her on the 10th and 11th. She is chaperoning the senior trip to Europe and they are gone already. I am not going to bail on her with her already in Europe. They have to get their own subs. I've told my niece that I can leave on Sunday after my preaching gig, getting to NOLA by 10 or so, but that I will have to leave the following Sunday.

I can take my yoga mat and Dumbbells with me, but I won't get the workouts I get at the gym. I know I'm being spoiled rotten about the whole thing, and I will go for the week if I have to, but this whole turn of events has just ruined my day that started out so great. And on a more serious note, I really hate it for my sister. This may send her over the edge. Her right wrist is not healing like it should and now she has the other one broken! She's going to have to take short term disability from work. I don't see any way around it. It's going to be a financial setback for her. Which makes me feel even more guilty for making it about me.

Thanks for listening if you've made it this far. Please don't judge me too harshly for my pettiness. Some of you deal with much worse on a daily basis, and I admire you for it.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did 1/2 hr Cathe Basic Step and then 1/2 hr weights

Lisa - beautiful quilt, only surpassed by the grandchildren

GetMeTo125 - welcome! Love your name. Is there something else you'd like to be called by? I'd love to get to 125, but I know that it's never going to happen in this lifetime.

walk2heath4 - welcome to a great support group

Lenora - I'm making the beaded banners -- 4 in total -- one for each of the kids and one for us for Christmas. I figure not being able to drive I'll have time to do it

Karen - welcome! Would you like to come wash my windows????

Larisa - woo hoo - an unbroken streak

Larisa - I never knew that using kettlebells with a back brace could hurt you! Instead of kettlebells, I usually use what I have -- dumbbells. And I never use a backbrace. Today I realized just how much you use your core when you use the kettlebell

kdlmoore216 - glad you joined us!

Kelly - welcome! Don't worry about having no goals, some of us don't (like me)

Beth - have everything crossed for your son

Vicki - I know you'll be a great supervisor

kim - gorgeous flowers. thanks for the pics

DJ - Vince has this idea that things should be the way he thinks they should be. I honestly don't think he thinks in advance. Like tonight I was thinking "ok, it's not supposed to be great weather tomorrow, so I'll do baking. But I need jam for one of the things I'll be making". I knew that he wouldn't like driving to the store so, fortunately, it's not very far from the house so I walked there. Just got the one item I needed for tomorrow and another item that I couldn't find anywhere else. Then I walked home. He'll have to take me to church tomorrow since I'm lectoring, then I want to go to Bi-Lo to get one item (actually, it may wind up being a few). Then on Sun we need to go back to the church to count the money from the collections. We usually count on Mondays but the office mgr is going to see her daughter so she asked if we could count tomorrow. Wonder what will happen since the bank's closed, the deposit can't be made. I don't know, maybe they have a night depository, but I would think they'd need to verify the amount. Well...guess I'll see. Let me tell you, I've definitely cut down on the places I normally would go to.

kimses - happy anniversary! Good for you tracking your food!

Jess wanted to go to the Humane Society. I think she was thinking they'd have kittens. In a few weeks they'll be getting loads. Then we went to get her car (she got new tires) and then I had to come home to get the dog biscuits and the chocolate bars that I made for the lady who is making Jess' outfit. She went there for a fitting, the lady didn't have my elf costume ready, yet. Vince said "we'll get it Wednesday since we'll be down this way"
    Well...if it isn't ready Wednesday, we'll just have to go later in the week. We're going to Jess's this weekend and hope to bring it to her.

Melanie - big welcome

katla - how wonderful that your son and DIL found a home and that you're taking your lesson as a non-beginner

p_dillow - welcome. Come here for lots of support

katie - all the best to you with the new car. Sounds like a dream. You're not being petty at all. Vent any time you feel the need.

Michele in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lenora, your sister's surgery sounds like a lot like my sis's except for the flap. They did a double mastectomy with the reconstruction at the same time. But she developed MRSA infection in one of the mastectomies. So the 'spacer' that you spoke of had to be removed. But they continued with the inflation of the one spacer. So she was quite lopsided until they knew the MRSA was all gone and they could put the spacer in the other breast. My sis is a little strange. she is quite outspoken. She called her son and asked him what size of implant he thought she should have. He was quite put off about it. I asked her today if the surgeon mentioned in the pathology what the stage of this new cancer was. He said he wasn't qualified in saying that. How much qualifying does it take to read a pathology report. I guess he didn't think he was qualified to answer any questions about what stage it is.

Charlie had his appointment with the gastro guy this afternoon. It was a productive appointment. I don't know what that office would do without their nurse practitioners. he saw the doctor when he had his colonoscopy and when he was in the hospital when he had meningitis. Anyway, to make sure that he can get his infusion next week, they did a stool test to make sure he doesn't have the C diff infection again. And if he does have it he will have a stool implant. And to do that, it is done during a colonoscopy. She did start him on a big cortisone dose that will last about 6 weeks. If he has the infection he has to stop the cortisone. But if he doesn't have an infection, they will still do a colonoscopy since he hasn't made any progress at all. He had his diagnosing colonoscopy last April and he really hasn't had any change. She did recommend a good probiotic that won't change the course of the colitis but would enhance his medicine.

Katla, I had never thought of me being rich in family but I guess I am. Now Charlie's family is the exact opposite. But that's a whole other story. I am glad eh truly and dearly loves my family and thought my parents were terrific. He very highly regarded them. My girls are super. I do have enough meals for me to make 3 meals while they are here but found out tonight that they will leave on Wednesday instead of Tuesday morning.

Kim, love, love those irises. My Mom had then around her big tree, between yards and behind their garage. She had a small yard. When she sold her house and went into the retirement center apartment, my sister went over there and pulled up bulbs to put in her yard. Then they came up and boy was she surprised! She had pulled up green onions. She is like me, no green thumb.

Love you all. To all the new ladies joining us, you have no idea the kind of support, kindness and love you will find here.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well, MFP doesn't know how many calories to count for pushing a 75-lb wrought iron garden arbor up a slight hill in a fold-up wheely cart for 2.1 miles....but I did it, in any case. A very young woman informs me that I am a god. No Honey, I'm a middle-aged Viking woman. This is how we roll. :lol:

Good night from Seattle :sweat_smile:
    Larisa
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Dr. Katiebug, I don't think it is selfish to feel you have the responsibility to meet commitments made before hand and that cannot be changed at this late date. WE (I say that collectively) as women and perhaps even more so for us with a propensity to eat our way through stress, seem to feel we don't have the right to say I am so sorry this happened to you, but I have prior commitments. I think you have been more than generous to offer to stay a week. Stand in fron of the mirror look yourself in the eye and repeat after me "I am not an awful sister/person, I will offer help to be best of my ability". Above that is NOT feasible. Big (((hugs))).

By the way, I would love to hear one of your presentations/sermons, are they ever recorded? Have I ever mentioned on this site that my ex-husband was an ordained Conservative Baptist Minister?

Janetr OKC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    janetr, what is the difference between a conservative Baptist and an American Baptist, General Baptist, Southern Baptist and any other Baptist. Or if this is to much of a religious discussion, you can always in box me.

JOyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    :)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    janetr, what is the difference between a conservative Baptist and an American Baptist, General Baptist, Southern Baptist and any other Baptist. Or if this is to much of a religious discussion, you can always in box me.

JOyce, Indiana

Actually I cannot tell you the differences in all of them. Thee are some that follow a few different doctrines on communion, baptism, etc. But to best of my knowledge they are all fundamentalists, I have long since abandoned the "my way or the highway" mind set. I do not wish to offend anyone and do not push my agenda in any way. <3<3

Janetr okc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    I am up and having my first cup of tea...
    Think Tom enjoyed having my paycheck in the bank and me not here when I was taking care of Faith, I would come after the gym, after he had left for work, and I would do laundry, make his lunch and dinner, and the boys food for dinner... and then be gone when he got home. He enjoyed that arrangement. He was on his computer last night looking up stuff,like a map and didnt come to bed until later..
    There is no woman involved but he is just pulling farther and farther away..
    I will not budge... this is his idea , and if he really wants out then he has to make the move not me...
    He will be going to Florida the end of the month for a week or so to close up the house down there..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Just lying here on my bed, relaxing after I've done my exercises. Phew! They felt hard this morning after three days off, but they are done. :D I haven't weighed myself yet, but will do so tomorrow. I must have put on a little bit, but I'm determined to get it off asap, as I want to be truly trim for the cruise.

I am relieved to be home and to have survived the week, but I am MISSING the DGC like CRAZY. :'(<3<3<3 I am still hearing their voices and DH and I talk to each other with their phrases and tones of voice! :laugh: Of course, Bea's snuggles are unforgettable. :love: Life now begins again at a new pace, but it will take me a while to adjust. I was quite teary this morning.

Drkatie - I think your response to your sister is absolutely enough. You have your own life, doing all kinds of good things and you can't sacrifice all that for her.

Beth - Thinking of your son and his audition. <3

My goal for April is to weigh less at the end of the month than the start. (Thank you Lisa )
    My resolution is - DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. (Thank you Voltaire)

Salmon tonight with a sauce made with the first of the spring sorrel from the garden and half fat creme fraiche. Mashed celeriac and a green veg.

I hope to get out into the sunshine and sow a few seeds and clear one more bed. DH has important football matches to watch this afternoon so I don't know if he will be joining me. I have decided not to beat myself up if I don't grow my usual magnificent crop this year. It's supposed to be enjoyable, not a duty. :bigsmile:
    Kim - I will compost down a couple of beds, get some horse dung on there and let it lie fallow. I also might grow some easy annuals in another. :) I just don't feel up to canes and string and cages this year.

Love Heather UK