janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »

Where are you??? Im missing your smile.

Janetr okc
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn: Oh my. Take care and stay safe.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Gloria - so glad you popped in. Happy belated birthday

Chris - I'm envious!

Only maj'd once tonight. Working on the mermaid at ceramics. This is going to be a lot of work. I really want to get some grass in so we might not go to ceramics Wed. but work in the yard after the Newcomer board meeting.

Supposed to volunteer at the Green Room tomorrow. When I get home we'll probably work on the yard some. Hard boiling some eggs right now so that they'll cool before I put them in my salad.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    nb1959 wrote: »
    OH, MY GOODNESS! I just heard an alligator roar really close to me!! Thank goodness my home is on pillars and I am eight feet up!! Listen: youtube.com/watch?v=_FEm6H3bE0Y

Close to you, OMG !! What does it mean when they roar? Gayle Minneapolis
    Options
    Bea is so beautiful, all that hair! Thank you for sharing your pictures. Gayle Minneapolis
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    The reason most people give up so fast is that they look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they have come.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    16,000 steps
    168 minutes of dog walking
    46minutes riding the exercise bike
    46 minutes puttering in the garden

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 3 X 10 @ 30 lbs
    bench press 3 X 10 @ 40 lbs
    dumbbell row 5X5 @ 60 lbs
    kettle bell swing 3 X 10 @ 20 lbs

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

Resolutions for April (with mid month comments)
    *weight training twice a week or more (three times a week, so far)
    *10,000 steps a day (13,000 or more each day)
    *continue organizing CD's (work is continuing)
    *meditation four days a week or more (yes)
    *make a plan and prepare the ground for planting bulbs in the fall (plan made but no work done)
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    I liked this:vd9kvfxx0w65.png
    Options
    Haven't posted for awhile, have had health problems with mom. She woke up n couldn't walk, off to ER n a hospital stay. She had 4 weeks of rehab n now back home. I think she should be in assistance living, she wanted home. Hired morning help n Eve help, PT 3 times weekly, OT weekly, nurse weekly n social worker visits. I have been a little busy! I hope this works, she's 93, wants to die in her home. Prayers are needed for her safety.
    Same time my 47 year old niece is diagnosed with Parkinson's. Just purchased a 3 story house with baths n bedrooms up.
    As this is going on her mother my DSIL is being tested for deminisa n Parkinson's.

Lots of family meetings, other people are worse off. God is with us n walks our journey together. Gayle Minneapolis
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

Gloria – those are awful hours… but an interview – I’m thinking good thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cj- “ The discussions on abuse so illustrate the relationship between food and emotions. We talk about how MFP is a lifestyle, not a diet. In fact, I think that MFP is the outward manifestation of a self-healing process. For whatever reason we turned to overeating or making poor food choices, it is only by attacking the root causes of our eating, while using the MFP tools to develop healthy habits, that we can maintain our new, healthy way of life.” Wow brilliantly put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Chris - I loved the details you put out for Pip!!! The thing about my family is that until my dad died when I was 19 we were much more normal…not the waltons, but…. Then Dad died suddenly and the stories I could tell…. The car wreak on the way home from the funeral, the law suit my mom filed against the newspaper for running an obit (my dad was a public figure – but mom felt his death was a private matter), oh I can go on, and on and on…. But I was the lucky one I had him for 19 years, my sibs were 9 and 11 when he died…

Marcelyn – thanks for the pics – it makes it more real, I am so glad you are safe and sound… hope the rain quits!

Gayle – thinking of you!

Kim from N. California
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Gayle, helpful thoughts go out to you. You sure have your hands full for many more days. Joyce
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,363 Member
    Options
    Hi my friends!

Marcelyn - Your floods have made it onto our news. I was scrolling through the photos and it was heartbreaking to see the struggles and devastation. I hope you and your loved ones stay safe. :flowerforyou:

Kim - I love the pic of you. <3 I think of you as someone who has come a really long way with your self awareness and self respect. Kudos!

Thanks everyone for their comments on Bea. I am always a bit sad the day after I've seen them all. The kids make me laugh so much, especially my DGD. Two and a half is the most wonderful age and I really didn't appreciate it when my own children were that age. (I just wanted my own life). I played them "An Ugly Duckling" and we all were singing it at tea.
    I had a lovely journey home with my sushi etc. And then ruined it by having some cheese and the half bagel left over from lunch. :sad: I have logged it as today's snack. :) I think I must have had a sad moment. I should have thrown that bagel away!

Who was asking about a memoir? I am writing one. I hope to publish it on Amazon. My advice is just to start. Do it the way you feel most comfortable with. I have always found it easiest to do a first draft in pencil scribble on plain A4 paper. Some prefer to type on a computer. You could make notes on your phone. You could buy a nice book and write in that. Whatever gets you started.
    And just start anywhere. Start with a happy memory, or a sad one. It doesn't have to be consecutive. The important thing is to get something, anything, down in black and white. And don't worry about style, or punctuation or sounding literary. Just write in your own voice in your own way. That way the pages will grow.
    I send you my good wishes. :flowerforyou: I am at the other end of mine - the editing stage- and I find that harder. It is slow, but I'm getting there.

Yoga today and the phone engineers should be coming. :*;):*

Love Heather UK

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    DrKatiebug wrote: Now, if my doctoral cohort would have a reunion, I'd go to that, but I don't see it happening. I keep up with a few of those classmates.
    Kay - A few years back, some friends organized a party for my former boss on the occasion of him attaining retirement age (not that he was going to retire). Most of his former PhD students, lab technicians and administrative staff got together. Each PhD student had all been assigned the task of preparing a 3-minute Powerpoint presentation describing something memorable from their years with the professor. They did a great job and we had lots of laughs!

On the topic of reunions, I've been to a few with my high-school class. I attended a small boarding school for three years and since we lived together 24/7, we all got to know each other pretty well. My husband (whom I met at the school :heart:) was one grade ahead of me and several times we've gone to his "big" anniversaries one year, then to mine the year after. Last year was my 40th reunion. Sadly, my best friend from that time had recently succumbed to cancer. :'(

My husband and I are always astounded by how little our classmates' basic personalities have changed over the years. Sure, they've become older and wiser, more relaxed and with fewer sharp edges, but the thinkers are still thinkers, the doers are still doers, the clowns are still clowns. Talking to them about old times, we've come to realize that essentially everyone felt awkward, unpopular, invisible.

Awww, Heather, changing a baby's diaper is indeed a privilege. Funny how Mother Nature contrived to make babies adorable, even going so far as to make their poop smell more appealing than revolting.
    CJ wrote: When I was in university, one of my geophysics professors talked about the sound of the crocodiles on the Zambezi river. I have never forgotten his description, or the components of the Tsumeb mine, also part of his lecture that day. He closed his eyes as he spoke very softly and we were transported by the poetry of his words directly to the banks of the river. Maybe if we had more beautiful writers and poets teaching science and math, we would be able to attract more children to become engineers and scientists.
    CJ - That's the mark of a great teacher! I think if teachers can convey their own love of the topic, the students are much more likely not just to remember what they said, but also to be inspired and follow in their footsteps.

(My own memories of the Zambezi involve an enchanted evening walk along the rim of Victoria Falls. There were rainbows. The crocodiles kept themselves pretty far upstream. They wisely avoid the falls.)

Marcelyn – YIKES! The Houston flooding has of course been on the news even in faraway Europe. Seeing pictures taken by someone I "know" brings it closer to home.

More about everyday life in Svalbard... My husband is going out in the field today. Here's some of the stuff he gathered together in preparation.
    77ndu26z2ov0.jpg
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • Lagopus
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Who was asking about a memoir? I am writing one. I hope to publish it on Amazon. My advice is just to start. Do it the way you feel most comfortable with. I have always found it easiest to do a first draft in pencil scribble on plain A4 paper. Some prefer to type on a computer. You could make notes on your phone. You could buy a nice book and write in that. Whatever gets you started.
    And just start anywhere. Start with a happy memory, or a sad one. It doesn't have to be consecutive. The important thing is to get something, anything, down in black and white. And don't worry about style, or punctuation or sounding literary. Just write in your own voice in your own way. That way the pages will grow.
    I send you my good wishes. :flowerforyou: I am at the other end of mine - the editing stage- and I find that harder. It is slow, but I'm getting there.
    Heather - Editing is my profession and my downfall. Easy-peasy for me to fix up other people's (scientific) writing, but when it's my own creation - my own baby - I can't see the forest for the trees. I fiddle with the text until I'm sick of it, throw up my hands in despair, give up.

What's the saying: Those who cannot do, teach. >:) That would be me...

/Penny

(Posted at 9:50 am Central European time, which is 8:50 UTC, 3:50 am Eastern Daylight time)
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Haven't posted for awhile, have had health problems with mom. She woke up n couldn't walk, off to ER n a hospital stay. She had 4 weeks of rehab n now back home. I think she should be in assistance living, she wanted home. Hired morning help n Eve help, PT 3 times weekly, OT weekly, nurse weekly n social worker visits. I have been a little busy! I hope this works, she's 93, wants to die in her home. Prayers are needed for her safety.
    Same time my 47 year old niece is diagnosed with Parkinson's. Just purchased a 3 story house with baths n bedrooms up.
    As this is going on her mother my DSIL is being tested for deminisa n Parkinson's.

Lots of family meetings, other people are worse off. God is with us n walks our journey together. Gayle Minneapolis
    I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. Sending prayers.
    Chris in MA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Morning friends~
    Well I sucumbed to taking nyquil last night. slept like a rock from 7pm-6am but woke up with hardly any voice and this junk settled in my chest..havent gone to see my DFIL since last week ,I feel bad but just cant get there today.
    I have a load of laundry in the wash and I will take care of that,, dont have to work until 1 so will lay low until then.
    feeling horrible ,but gotta do what you gotta do..
    Mary(the troll) her MIL passed away yesterday. she was 89 and had been dealing with parkinson's for many years.. Mary's husband Tim was spending nights up there with her.. he was the baby of the family..
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting the time Penny!
    So you are 6 hours ahead of us in New England. I feel better oriented now.
    Chris in MA
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Thanks for posting the time Penny!
    So you are 6 hours ahead of us in New England. I feel better oriented now.
    Chris in MA

Yes, and Heather is 5 hours ahead of you in what used to be called Greenwich Mean Time but is now called Coordinated Universal Time (abbreviated UTC).

/Penny
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday! I was just going to read and respond later today when I have more time; BUT the diaper comments made me laugh and made me think.
    Penny, Heather,- Your comments about changing diapers made me chuckle. After 23 years of diapers, I have a theory; Every single daycare child that I have diapered, I would always think "My kid's diapers NEVER smelled this bad!" Over the years, I wonder if our own children's/grandchildren's diapers smell better to us because it is "our" smell. You know how animals can identify their children through smell, etc. I mean, if we were of lesser or different intelligence, it would kind of make sense that biologically we would prefer the smell of our own child's feces to that of another animal/human...
    On another line regarding smell, I have noticed that my son and daughter both, have a distinct metallic smell to their skin. No one else notices it, but I can smell it and I can also smell it on their clothes and pillowcases...weird.
    LOL! that's all!