WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Katla/RealMsWolf -

I wasn't totally clear in my statement regarding squats. I DO squats in my weight strength training workouts 3 times a week. I alternate each day between sumo and shoulder squats I do 3 sets of 12, for a total 36 each work out. Believe me I NEVER thot I could do that with knee replacements. But when I read the squat challenge, decided it would be too strenuous for me. I do know tho, that my knees are getting much much stronger as I keep at it.

I also agree with the statement regarding eating and exercise. As we have mentioned on here many times, CICO is what equals weight loss. For sure you can't outrun the food you eat, BUT you can have more calories each day when additional calories are burned. However, exercise is what keeps our body (heart, muscles,bones, etc etc.) in a healthy state. They need to go hand in hand for a truly "healthy" life style. This is just my opinion, of course. I seem to be opening mouth inserting foot here lately.

Janetr OKC
  • pattydugan
    pattydugan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    New to this community. Love the inspiration here. So being new, I'll add my resolutions for April.
    1. Be kind to myself, first and foremost (it's a journey, not a destination)
    2. Drink at least 3-4 bottles of water a day (I have extreme difficulty with this one)
    3. Weight Train (5-lbs weights) 2 times a week (specifically on Sunday and Wednesday)
    4. Walk after work on Fridays; 20 minutes to start

Now to write this down and post it on my front door to remind ME to JUST DO IT.
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    >:) Having to cut back on all expenses so our home internet has to be disconnected. I'll keep reading when I am places with free WI FI. Until we are gainfully employed, I wish you all the best in health and happiness.

<3 Rosie in So Cal

We will miss you Rosie, take care and come back when possible.

Janetr OKC
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    I am finding that if I allow myself to eat more at dinner I don't go in and pig out later.

Carol, Me, too; skipping dinner for anything other than to fall straight into bed, would have been a recipe for snacking, later.

...and here, I must confess I have an unfair advantage in dieting, in that I live alone...if I don't want anything high-carb or "snacky" in my home, there won't be any. The worst I could do to myself now, would be extra boiled eggs. Not likely to happen for non-nutritional reasons :wink:

KJLaMore wrote: »
    I got your humor in your post re logging. I didn't mean for my response to sound preachy (I just reread it and I guess it does a little).

KJ, no worries. I don't figure anyone meant to be preachy. I just got frustrated. Anyway, this is an awesome group, and I'm okay. :smile:

Sorry I've missed a few days. Was in the hospital again for blocked colon, then some other stuff happened.

Sylvia, what an ordeal! I wish you speedy healing.

pipcd34 wrote: »
    as in everything, you will get different opinions on every subject regarding every exercise on everything. it is up to each individual to make that (hopefully) educated decision whether to do something what may be considered controversial or not. if you look at my daily stats, u see i don't use them every day and if i use the weights it's not for the entire distance. 1# weights aren't much but i feel i am getting benefit from that and that's all that matters. another thing that i bet i am the only one in this group that runs or uses five finger vibram shoes (what i call monkey), that is also controversial. everyone has to make their own informed decision and i have make mine.

So. Much. This. You are the (only) owner of your body, and it's your call, in the end. I've been "instructed" not to run again--ever (unless something scary is chasing me). I'm taking that into consideration...but really it's just a question of risk, and increased wear and tear on the parts of me that don't yet include metal. When the time comes, it will be my decision. :smile:

Larisa in Seattle

P.S. Look at me, finally learning to put multiple replies in one post :tongue:
  • RockinMBC
    RockinMBC Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Back to MFP after a long (too long) break.

My April goals:
    1. Limit my carb intake
    2. Swim at the Y 2x a week
    3. Practice bass for at least an hour everyday for upcoming show!
  • LilPuertarican
    LilPuertarican Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just recently returned to this site and this group. I have not logged on for quite a while. So here are my April Goals:

- Walk an average of 10,000/day
    - Log every morsel I put in my mouth
    - Exercise an average of 3 times/week
    - Weight train 2 times/week for 15 minutes
    - Do something different this month (i.e. drive a different route to the grocery store; get up an hour earlier)
    - Concentrate on loosing inches and not weight this time

I may add one or two more items to this list as the month progresses...

"Let's chop, chop Ladies!!!" Lol!!!

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday. I did my weigh in this morning since I am working and have the next two days off. I stayed the same as last week. I admit I was worried about gainning. Going to be a beautiful day and hoping when I get off at 4:30 it can work around the yard. Getting Spring fever.

Church last evening was very good and just what I needed to hear. So am feeling better this morning. I am taking my friend, Lee to the surgery center in the morning to get a shot in her back and then back home so I can clean her kitchen floor. Last week she didn't have a mop and no way could I get down on my hands and knees then try and get up.

Kim--Love the pictures. I could sit for hours in your purple chair in the purple flowers.

barbie-- I do like the idea of resolutions.

Thanks for the good words, I do feel good about the job and know I can do it. Just pray they don't back out of it. Can you tell I don't trust the manager.

Melanie, Sleepyscribbler, Noren--Welcome, come often and get to know us and us you. This is a great place for support and friendship.

Katla--Congrates on DS and family finding a home. Your ride sounds very nice.Glad you were able to enjoy the day doing something you love.

Katiebug--Sorry to hear your sister fell again. I do not think you are selfish, you went last time and are willing to help again, just not all of it. Is there no one else that could take the other days? You have to take care of you also. Sounds like you got a great deal on the car. I hope you enjoy it for years to come. I know I am liking our van more all the time.

Joyce--Thanks for the smile. Sounds like something I woudl do pulling the wrong thing. Our yard has several different flowers that come up every year and so far in the 13 years we have been here I have not killed them all. I only have one out of four roses bushes still alive.

Heather--growing up and when first married we ate beef brains. I love me and also beef fries. Haven't been able to find them in several years.

Becca-Wise words and I needed to hear them and think.

Penny--How cute wanting to share grandma and grandpa hugs.

Sylvia--So sorry to hear you were back in the hospital. Please take care of yourself and PM me if I can do anything. Sending prayers and hugs.

Rosie--Please take care and prayer things get better soon. Will miss you.

Margaret--That is a great NSV.

Time to get some work done and get ready to go home. Sun is shining and 70 degrees out. With these longer day light hours hoping to get somethings done in the yard, Take care ladies.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Margaret - You are making amazing progress in valuing yourself. :flowerforyou: Caring for yourself is an adventure in itself. I always think, "What would my DDIL do?" :bigsmile: She has written many books which are available on Amazon and have sold very well. Her name is Dr Jessamy Hibberd. I have never met anyone who has such a sense of self worth, but is still so loving and charming. No wonder she was earning a fortune as a psychologist in Harley Street. To look at her you would think she was a sweet little thing, but she has a steely determination inside a velvet glove. I am still learning from her. :) My son has definitely met his match and that is saying something!
    Well done everyone who values themselves enough! :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Well done everyone who values themselves enough! :flowerforyou:

Hear, hear! :star:

Soooo my local pool is closing for two weeks, after today. I'd like to think I would take the longer bus ride out to a different pool, but to be realistic, that simply isn't going to happen four times a week. *sigh
    It has to happen some, though, because I don't want to hit the diving class cold, after two weeks off of swimming. I've never dived before! I don't want to be a PITA for the instructor, who kindly let me sign up for an ages 6-17 class. :blush:

Happy Sunday, Ladies!

Larisa
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Beth - "Sludd" more or less rhymes with "good". The killer is the "sl" sound which, in many Norwegian dialects, is pronounced "shl". So phonetically (in ordinary roman characters) "sludd" might be written "shlud". Note that this means that the capital of Norway is not "Ah-zlow", the way many Americans pronounce it, but "Oo-shloo"! smiley-laughing024.gif

Rosie - I wish you the very best of luck with your efforts to regain a stable economic footing. We'll miss you!

Margaret - Maybe the word "sneet" was introduced by all those Norwegian bachelor farmers we keep hearing about on Prairie Home Companion. ;)
    I'm savoring what you wrote about taking a stand and how people will sometimes maneuver to keep others down or to block changes that rouse feelings of uncertainty. Trying to see how it fits into my own life and relationships. I'm also thinking about Heather's description of her strong, determined daughter-in-law. I know enough people with a solid sense of self-worth to recognize that it's often found together with great kindness and generosity.
    Perhaps people need to hear more about how good they are, and get less criticism about "everything they do wrong".
    /Penny, tired, slightly philosophical, and not at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »

I also agree with the statement regarding eating and exercise. As we have mentioned on here many times, CICO is what equals weight loss. For sure you can't outrun the food you eat, BUT you can have more calories each day when additional calories are burned. However, exercise is what keeps our body (heart, muscles,bones, etc etc.) in a healthy state. They need to go hand in hand for a truly "healthy" life style. This is just my opinion, of course. I seem to be opening mouth inserting foot here lately.

Janetr OKC

I absolutely agree with this! However, when we are first starting out or coming back from a long hiatus, it makes sense to address one thing at s time. For me, that means logging honestly and eating right. Once the ball is rolling it is easier to add exercise, weights, etc.

Margaret ... Great NSV! I have to wonder, though, why some people feel a need to needle.

Beth

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    Penny ... Thank you for the phonetics lesson! I found out later in life that I have a significant Norwegian heritage. Your posts are very interesting to me!

Beth
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: omg please take care of yourself, you are very much needed!

Penny: curious, what designer do u like?
    Beautiful day in Minnesota! Gayle Minneapolis
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    On the cusp... 50 in September. Would like to join this thread as it sounds very positive and encouraging.

April goals:
    -Continue the low carb high fat lifestyle my doctor suggested.
    -Run 3 days a week- long run, speed work, hills
    -strength train 3-4 days a week
    -lose weight. Not setting an amount as my body seems to have it's own agenda. Just want to see the number on the scale drop.
    -do one spring cleaning chore a day.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    NSV ~ I held the plank for a whole minute! LOL
  • lcottomsvcs
    lcottomsvcs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Lori ~ Yes - I have tried the Genie bras. But, I think the ones I had shrunk. So I just ordered another one online that is supposed to be "cooler" for summer weather. Hope it works.

I am a retired 5th grade teacher. The last years I taught my concentration was in science. I also taught Eng., Social Studies, and Reading. Math was my downfall.

I teach Biology, Environmental Science and Forensics. I would not enjoy teaching non-science subjects, I would prefer to stick with subjects I am confident in :) My hat is off to teachers of younger students, I much prefer teenagers that can be "reasoned with". The Costa Rica trip I am taking this summer is for Environmental Science students; we are going to study rainforest ecology. I am having a parent meeting Tuesday for the trip, and I am nervous. Parents are much harder to deal with than are students :)

I made the transition to teaching twelve years ago, and did 3 years of substitute teaching while getting my certifications. I always appreciate subs and the work that they do, it can be a thankless job. It does, however, give one a crash course in dealing with a classroom.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    sequimtrim wrote: »
    I started this past week. What I will be doing in April:

* weight training 3x week
    * exercise 6 days per week, minimum 30 minutes, average 1 hour
    * keep carbs under 100

welcome.gif..I hope you will also be coming back to this thread daily to let us know how you're doing and to join in the conversation. What kind of exercise will you be doing?

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    April! I made my March goal of staying off online gaming & day 39 today! First time in 6 years. Starting to get enough focus back to start watching my calories again. Did not gain any & only lost abit! Apparently it takes at least 90 days or more to detox a hardcore gamer like myself. So April goals
    - continue detox & support of others as we do the 90 day challenge
    - Stay focused on limits / I faithfully log but need to do better at limits
    - Do more exercise
    - Daily meditation to quiet the mind

Cris in too sunny for me Pacific Northwest

smiley-happy110.gifsmiley-happy110.gifsmiley-happy110.gif
    Congrats on your 39 day milestone....I know how hard it is to stay away from something that has become addictive and is interfering with your life.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Heather love the description of DDIL "To look at her she was a sweet little thing, but she has a steely determination inside a velvet glove." What a nice compliment. I will look for her books.

Penny we have that problem within our own country some say in Minnesota we say Monticello with an "s" sound for the c. Out east they say the "k" sound like in cello.

Beth my belief in this case it wasn't so much to needle but to take on sticking up for my friend who did not ask her to do that. I saw something like that in the class I was in on Friday. A girl who kept to herself and did her work wrote me a note to apologize for the students who were rude. The up side to this behavior is when I think I see an injustice I will speak out. The down side is I am making assumptions how others are feeling and taking on the responsibility for others feelings. I know how well that works out. Not. For me the victory was not getting defensive. Because I didn't get defensive she backed down. I told this story because for me it is trying to put into practice skills I am trying to learn. The stronger my self worth the less likely I am to turn to habits that do not serve me and my health.

On Thursday I witnessed a mother very upset at a secretary because she believed her daughters when they came home crying because they thought the secretary told them that if they were late again to school the police would get involved. When students are chronically late it is considered truancy. The secretary was trying to problem solve with the mother how to get her children to school. (The police would not be called there is other protocol for this.) The secretary did not say this. I got involved too because I worked with the student last year.The mom would have none of it. She was a mother protecting her young. The heart of the matter is the mother is terminally ill. Truancy was the smokescreen. This story got me thinking how often do I use a smokescreen or food to cover up what is the real issue, because the real issue is too painful.

:heart: Margaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I am finding that if I allow myself to eat more at dinner I don't go in and pig out later.

Carol, Me, too; skipping dinner for anything other than to fall straight into bed, would have been a recipe for snacking, later.

...and here, I must confess I have an unfair advantage in dieting, in that I live alone...if I don't want anything high-carb or "snacky" in my home, there won't be any. The worst I could do to myself now, would be extra boiled eggs. Not likely to happen for non-nutritional reasons :wink:

KJLaMore wrote: »
    I got your humor in your post re logging. I didn't mean for my response to sound preachy (I just reread it and I guess it does a little).

KJ, no worries. I don't figure anyone meant to be preachy. I just got frustrated. Anyway, this is an awesome group, and I'm okay. :smile:

Sorry I've missed a few days. Was in the hospital again for blocked colon, then some other stuff happened.

Sylvia, what an ordeal! I wish you speedy healing.

pipcd34 wrote: »
    as in everything, you will get different opinions on every subject regarding every exercise on everything. it is up to each individual to make that (hopefully) educated decision whether to do something what may be considered controversial or not. if you look at my daily stats, u see i don't use them every day and if i use the weights it's not for the entire distance. 1# weights aren't much but i feel i am getting benefit from that and that's all that matters. another thing that i bet i am the only one in this group that runs or uses five finger vibram shoes (what i call monkey), that is also controversial. everyone has to make their own informed decision and i have make mine.

So. Much. This. You are the (only) owner of your body, and it's your call, in the end. I've been "instructed" not to run again--ever (unless something scary is chasing me). I'm taking that into consideration...but really it's just a question of risk, and increased wear and tear on the parts of me that don't yet include metal. When the time comes, it will be my decision. :smile:

Larisa in Seattle

P.S. Look at me, finally learning to put multiple replies in one post :tongue:

i was reply to grits comment about her hearing that running with ankle weights is something that you shouldn't do.

obviously if your doc says, no more running for you, hopefully you will pay attention. after my shoulder surgery, i did what he said and he knew what i was doing and gave me the ok to do what i was doing. everyone should take care of themselves in that regard