WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Stayed on track for today's goal of logging everything and maintain caloric intake per objective. Tomorrow, I have to get out the door for a few miles. Does anyone use the pedometer app on your phone that sinks w My Fitness Pal to track activity? I use Run Keeper for my runs but am interested in number of steps in a day. I have had two Fit bits but they die too fast to keep buying them.

t113030.gif I have an Omron pedometer that has lasted me so several years. It doesn't synch with MFP but it comes with software that allows me to keep track of my steps on the computer

AR10at50 wrote: »
    Oh my gosh! I am new to this group, and I don't know if I can keep up with all of you wonderful people! Every time I check in, so many people have already commented.....I cannot keep up with you, but I thought you are all wonderful! Here's to an awesome Monday! Keep up the good work! Let's have lots of good things to report!!! Exercise hard and burn some calories!! Have a great week!

t113030.gif I read this thread in the morning while I eat my breakfast and sometimes comment and sometimes just absorb what I've read and say nothing....just keep coming back.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    OK, just to show you how frugal I can be, he disappeared at Walmart to the greeting cards, brought back a birthday card for me. I read it there and left it there. It's possible I am a little too unsentimental... :blush: But hey, he went to the trouble to pick out one that meant something, and it had a lovely sentiment. I read it, I liked it. But why spend $3 for something that will go in a drawer and then the landfill? OK, I suck, you can take away my female card now...
    Happy Monday, peeples,
    Lisa in West Texas

Just read this aloud to my husband and he got the biggest kick out of it. He hates purchasing greeting cards let alone the cost of postage to send them. We recently decided to stop purchasing cards for each other-a mutual decision I might add. So if you don't mind we will copy your actions of picking them out while in store (Walmart), read them and then put them back!

Cheri
    oHIo
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Stayed on track for today's goal of logging everything and maintain caloric intake per objective. Tomorrow, I have to get out the door for a few miles. Does anyone use the pedometer app on your phone that sinks w My Fitness Pal to track activity? I use Run Keeper for my runs but am interested in number of steps in a day. I have had two Fit bits but they die too fast to keep buying them.

I use Map My Walk to track my walks. It syncs with MFP and gives all the info you might want.

Cheri
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Monday! It has been so nice to stay up past 9pm and sleep in past 4:30 am! So far my break has been relaxing; but I have spent it caring for/sitting with family members in hospital. They are both improving and should be discharged within a couple days.
    Sylvia- Omigoodness! Hugs, prayers, goodvibes and lots of love going out to you! We have missed you! Complete and speedy healing for you.
    Penny- Love the Norwegian tutorial. sludd. shlood. I personally call the rain/snow mix- slush. "It is slushing." Is a common phrase around here. Michigan winters.
    Welcome newbies!
    Pip- Vibrams! I have seen very few people who run in them. BUT...I read a book last year called Born To Run about a hidden tribe of native mexicans in the Mexican Copper Canyons, who are able to run these long distances and they do it either barefoot or in a flat handmade sandal. The author called them "superathletes". Probably one of the most inspiring running books I have ever read. Makes you totally rethink what the shoe companies are putting out there and what you actually need to do for your feet to make them stronger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_to_Run:_A_Hidden_Tribe,_Superathletes,_and_the_Greatest_Race_the_World_Has_Never_Seen
    Kristan- REST DAY!! I really thought my quads would be screaming today, because along with the squats yesterday, I took the stairs up and down a couple times at the hospital while I was visiting my MIL. Seven floors so it was actually 14 flights with 12 stairs in each flight (because the stairs spiral, two flights per floor). So 168 stairs up and 168 stairs down x2 (because I did it twice). LOL! Wow! Now that I have done the math, I am kind of impressed with myself. Anyway, my quads don't hurt! I must not be working hard enough.
    Miriam- Hello friend! How are you feeling?
    Beth- saw news footage this morning of the storm hitting your area. BLAH! Pretty, but I am ready for spring!
    Lenora- Your toe comment made me think of my sister's toes. Her pinkie toes ride piggie back on the toes next to them, so she leaves a four toed footprint in the sand. My freaky sister.
    Margaret- Thanks for the quotes from The Dance of Anger. I am heading to the library today to see if I can grab a copy to read. Sounds like something I would find interesting.
    Well, I see the repairman just pulled in to fix our water heater. Pilot won't stay lit. Am hoping it is just a little carbon build up and an easy fix. I noticed the low temp Friday and thought my hubby was helping me with my water/energy conservation efforts; so I haven't showered since Friday. I need a shower DESPERATELY!! Plus I had toast this morning and some crumbs dropped down my cleavage area, so I am kind of itchy now, too. (First world problems) :/
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Margaret- Dance with Anger! I agree and totally understand what she says about discomfort with change. I constantly talk to my daycare parents about how necessary it is for their babies/toddlers/preschoolers to be frustrated. Frustration is a great motivator to improvement. The baby lays on her belly and reaches and reaches and wriggles and is SO angry and frustrated that she can't get what or where she wants to be. But within a few days, she will begin to kick and push with her legs and will be able to move herself forward and take the next big "step" in growth. She gains confidence in her ability to get what she needs, and she is learning new skills. Adults seem to hurry to quiet or soothe the angry or frustrated child, when in some cases you need to let them "be" frustrated for a bit.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    KJ, thanks for the reminder about kids needing to be frustrated for change (and Margaret starting the discussion). I was feeling REALLY bad because my older new daughter was in tears this morning since her sister had been yelling at her last night about turning off the hall light, and I sided with her sister, saying that both of us are REALLY frustrated with her fear of the dark and her total acceptance that it was okay to not try to change it. She sleeps with the light on- not a night light since that makes too many spooky shadows, but a bright light. She turns every light on in the house and won't turn them off since it scares her to walk away from a dark room. She leaves the hall light on which shines in her younger sister's eyes all night. She is totally freaked when it is dark outside and she has to walk up to the house, even if there are lights on in the house and the church's light next door is bright enough to read by. And she thinks it is okay to live like this. I keep telling her to use her brain and remind herself that there is nothing in the dark that will hurt her. (Cognitive therapy, in essence). But she doesn't try to fight it, just lives in fear. So maybe being in tears will help her to want to change it.

I haven't felt like sharing much. The person that complained about someone saying untrue things about her religion was referring to me, when I told the FACTS about what her church had done to my developmentally delayed cousin. And the fact that I knew others that this had been done to. So I feel like I cannot speak freely. This was our REAL experience with her church, and I have had many other real experiences that I have not even mentioned. It just occurred to me, maybe she needs to be a little uncomfortable so she stops taking things at face value and investigates the truth. Anyway, that is why I have been lurking, and not saying much.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KJLaMore thank you for that feedback. I struggle with this. My first instinct is to go in and rescue. My DS is in big trouble and a friend of his called me and put pressure on me to do more to rescue him. I do not want to go in to rescue him. I want him to work on solving his own problems first. I wrote to him and told him I believe in him.

Miriam I am glad you felt able to speak your truth. You are speaking up for an injustice for someone who cannot speak for himself. As much as I have been speaking about taking responsibility for my own feeling and allowing others to do the same. Your cousin brings out there are times it is important to speak in behalf of others. Thank you for being his advocate.

My observation is when I am not ready to hear I go on the defensive and into denial. When the mother accused the secretary of saying something that upset her children in an upset tone the secretary became defensive. The children watched this game play out. There was plenty of energy in the room. The issue of the truancy did not get resolve nor the feelings of how to deal with a mother who is dying. The children were given power in the situation that did not serve them. Smokescreen. Oh have I been that secretary and that mother (although not dying I have used other issues to deflect my anxiety).

:heart: Margaret
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies.

Now where do I begin? So much has been going on the past week or so. I've been keeping up with all of you but found it hard to respond or post. I have enjoyed the pictures and signs of spring (we had snow yesterday which was gone by noon and it will snow all day today), and love hearing about your lives. Sylvia, so sorry to hear about your health issues, I sincerely hope you will be better soon.

My mother, who some of you may remember lives in NJ, has had a couple of small strokes in the past 3 months. Latest was discovered when she was hospitalized the Friday before Easter due to her not eating. She was released into the nursing unit of the facility she resides in and will probably not return to her room in assisted living. This stroke affected the ocipital portion of her brain and although she is well physically cannot function mentally. She doesn't know how to dress herself, use utensils, etc. She is anxious and aggitated because she is not in her familiar surroundings and has to share a room. This has caused her to refuse to eat. She has always been stubborn and wants her way and that unfortunately hasn't changed. I have 2 sisters who have not talked to each other in about 15 years and refused to even answer/respond to emails from each other (inheritied stubborn streak?) so I am the one in the middle relaying information. One sister lives in NJ and is a health care professional so thankfully running point on my mother's medical needs so I can defer that to her.

This past Friday, my granddaughter (refer to Easter picture of her dressed in purple walking her stuffed platypus) was rushed to Children's Hospital in Boston because of pain in her calves that was so severe she couldn't walk. The poor child was in agony and we were scared to death. It was determined that she had a lingering case of the flu that was a different strain than we were vaccinated for which caused her to become dehydrated which caused mytosis (swelling and inflammation of the muscles). The biggest concern was the danger of her kidney's shutting down. Fortunately she was in one of the best children't hospitals and she was able to come home this weekend and should be fully recovered soon.

I ate 1/2 quart of ice cream yesterday afternoon and then 1/3 bag of chocolate twizzlers last night. I just needed it. My mind said "don't do it" but it just couldn't help it. I've been unsuccessful so far on the job front but keep plugging away. I wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat from worry, but still I keep on plugging away.

I roasted one of the $1.99 chickens yesterday and made a butternut soup. Both were delicious and I have enough for the whole week. I picked the chicken clean, have meat for at least 2 more dinners, meat to make chicken salad for lunch and and meat and skin to enhance Jake's dry food for a total cost of less than $7.

I've whined enough...best to all of you!!
    Chris in snowy MA
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    I read a book last year called Born To Run about a hidden tribe of native mexicans in the Mexican Copper Canyons, who are able to run these long distances and they do it either barefoot or in a flat handmade sandal. The author called them "superathletes". Probably one of the most inspiring running books I have ever read. Makes you totally rethink what the shoe companies are putting out there and what you actually need to do for your feet to make them stronger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_to_Run:_A_Hidden_Tribe,_Superathletes,_and_the_Greatest_Race_the_World_Has_Never_Seen

That was an awesome book. It DOES make you rethink a lot of what we are fed as "best"

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Chris You are dealing with so very much right now, ice cream and twizzlers are completely understandable. we are dealing with the job worries in my house as well (dh is still interviewing and waiting) just keep doing what you are doing, taking care of business. Love how you have stretched that chicken, I do the same thing and make stock out of the bones as well! My April resolution is to remember to stand tall, shoulders back and breathe. It makes me feel so good every time I remember to do this during the day!

Karen from NY
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,559 Member
    Options
    morning peeps-

forgot to mention in my stats yesterday that I uesed the ankle weights for the entire workout yesterday

exermom - i have a lock that i take with me if i am going somewhere after work. i take it in the bldg at the y where i work out. i take it and park it by my desk where i work so i don't need one. but i will need one if i go somewhere afterwards.

vibrams aka monkey feet- depending on who you talk to and what you read, you're gonna get all kinds of different opinions and EVERYONE in their own mind will be right. vibrams are miminalist shoes, they basically have close to no cushion/support on the bottom of your feet, they are meant to immulate barefoot running. you want to have a shorter stride when you run in them. they build up your calves more. i started using them to train for a bike ride that i was doing that had alot of hills. since you need good calves for hills, i tried using the vibrams as a training tool for my bike ride. it's a process to get used to running in them. it took me about 4-6 months to slowly ease into running in them full time. i've been wearing them for around 5-6 years maybe? i can't imagine going back to tennis shoes. i did my last marathon in them. they were a bit wierd to put on in the beginning because you're not used to spreading your toes to get into each "slot" but that passed really quick not i can put them on as fast as anyone using tennis shoes. when we were on the farm, we used to feed the pigs barefoot. our feet have gotten really used to so much cushion.
    Kirby used to have bad arches and needed them for his tennis shoes but since he started using the vibrams, he doesn't need them anymore. alot of people return them becuase they are not easing into them, they're just running/walking their usual distance with them from the get go which is a bad thing to do. but better for me cuz i can get them cheap at REI garage sales for 30 bucks (normally 80-120 bucks).

kjlamore_ i have heard of my homeies (i'm mexican) doing that.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Jody, welcome. You will find this a great place for support and information. Congrats on the great work you have done. When you reach your goal you will find this a good place to get the support for maintenance. Come often and chat when you like. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Pip, what do the kids do when you are at the gym? Do they have a doggie day care? :*

KJL, congrats on deciding to take some courses at college. I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up. For sure I’d be crying if it were snowing here.

Lenora, you said that you are a Catholic but have very strong opinions on what a Southern Baptist is. I missed it in your post as to how you know so much about Southern Baptist and what we would never do? Were you a Baptist at one time?

Jeanne, you are doing great by taking one day at a time. It’s hard for many of us to make a ton of huge changes all at once, so it’s good to take baby steps, or be a turtle. turtle-smiley-emoticon.png Some of us never go to our home page and support our friends in this forum so definitely come as often as you can. Keep up the good work.

Heather, when I first read your post that you like brains, I immediately thought of eating them. Then, sure enough, you did say you like to do that. Ewwww Sorry but I don’t have a sophisticated enough palate to go there.eating.gif

Janetr, so true about being honest on our food diary. It used to bother me if I was over or under and it tried to reprimand me but I figured out that I only hurt myself if I’m not truthful. I mean, who else cares if I eat too much or too little. My body sure doesn’t care what I put on my food diary!! My weight will go up or down based on what actually goes in my mouth.  :s

Noreen, welcome. It sounds like you are off to a great start and we totally support you in sticking to it. We all falter on occasion but the good thing is you can start right over on healthy eating. Come often and good luck.

Lillian, glad you had a good mini vacation. Yep, men do things their way. Lol

Kalli, welcome to you as well. This is a great place for support and information so come often. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Barbie, I hope your DH gets over his cold quickly and that you don’t get it. When my DH is sick, I seem to use lots of Clorox wipes all around the house. Lol

welcome.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Somehow I’ve gotten over 130 posts behind. I guess that happens when I’m busy and can’t spend the time on here. I need to go get nails done and have a Moose Ladies’ meeting tonight so I’m going to post what I have and try to get back a bit later. You guys are all great and I’m so happy to have you in my life. I saw this on FB and just wanted to share it with you.

Some days are better,
    Some days are worse.
    Look for the blessing instead
    Of the curse. Be positive, stay
    Strong, and get enough rest.
    You can’t do it all,
    But you can do your best.

Sending good thoughts for all of you and wishing you each a healthy and happy day. happy-spring-smiley-emoticon.gif
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Chris, hang in there! We are all here to support you!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,229 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Chris - Good for you for putting that sugar fest out there. I find my "sins" much easier to deal with when I'm honest about them. :flowerforyou: I hope you soon find a resolution on the job front. Glad to hear that lovely granddaughter is improving. Sorry about your mum. I feel mine stopped wanting to eat when she was ready to go.

Sylvia - Hope you are ok. <3

I did get back to sleep last night and woke refreshed. I did a tiny bit of writing this morning - the first in a while - but my main morning task was to listen to a podcast of an episode of The Archers from yesterday. The storyline has gripped most of the country. Helen has been mentally ground down and subdued by her husband Rob for over a year. Last night she stabbed him. This is not the outcome many people are happy with dramatically, but I wanted to hear it for myself. It was almost believable, but I would have preferred a different resolution. :ohwell:

After that I rang our favourite local restaurant and booked a table for next Monday when we will be going with DH's cricket friend and his wife. :D
    This afternoon we popped over to the garden centre to buy seeds.
    Then I decided to top up our food stores and we went down to our local mega mall. Got lots of lovely stuff, including a massive chilli plant for the windowsill in the kitchen. :D

Tonight we are having the meatballs I made over Easter. Shiritaki noodles for me, pasta for DH. Green beans. Yummo!

Love to all, Heather UK

PS DJ - It's a while now since I've had brains, but they are delicious. When we had the "mad cow" scare they became impossible to get hold of. They are available now, but mainly in Greek butchers. I have mainly eaten them in Greek restaurants. In my freezer I have some sweetbreads that I bought from a Greek butcher, but DH isn't all that keen on trying them. I have a lovely curry recipe for them. :laugh:
    Sweetbreads are the thymus and pancreas glands.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Connie: What is a PCP? I'm glad you had a productive weekend and a visit from your son. :flowerforyou:

Alison: Snowing to beat the band in April? Yikes! Suddenly a bit of rain doesn't seem that bad. :laugh:

Lisa: A nice haircut and a great new jacket has to feel awesome! Smaller size, too! Smaller sizes are the best possible NSV because they're proof of change in the direction we want to go. :bigsmile:

Margaret: The Dance of Anger book you are reading makes sense. Thank you for sharing your insights. The blame game is a tough habit to break. My mom was a blamer and it prevented her from changing things that needed to be changed. It also kept her feeling like a victim. She passed away 20 years ago, and I hope she has healed in the afterlife, God rest her. :broken_heart::heart:

Miriam: I've missed your posts. I hope you will be back often. The lady who took offense needs to know that your experience is different than hers. Every denomination is full of people who are flawed as well as good people. You've experienced some very negative things are entitled to your pov. :flowerforyou:

We have a cloudy day with showers this morning and the forecast calls for overcast but dry this afternoon. Our window screens are installed as of yesterday but it looks like they may not be put to work today. We will see as the day goes on.

I plan to go to yoga this morning, even though my least favorite teacher will be teaching today. I need the exercise and I know the worst thing likely to happen is for me to grumble about things inside my own head. So I will put on my most positive attitude and get the exercise I need.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,559 Member
    Options

damnit - the kids come with us, they love car rides even if they stay in the beast. we have removed the back seat of the beast (gmc yukon) so they have alot of room. when the weather starts to get too warm, they will stay home. yogi has doggie day care once a week, to give the other 2 a break
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Miriam: I've missed your posts. I hope you will be back often. The lady who took offense needs to know that your experience is different than hers. Every denomination is full of people who are flawed as well as good people. You've experienced some very negative things are entitled to your pov.
    Yes I agree with this, too. There are problems with all denominations and all other groups because they are made up of imperfect human beings. But there is also light and comfort -- and life is spinning by too fast for people at our age to deal with the opposite. There is just not enough time left. Look for light and comfort and peace wherever it is and try as well as we can to reflect some back to someone else who needs it without considering dogma, rules and other barriers. The essence is love and listening and acceptance and we all need more of that!
    Betty <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Chris ~ Glad your GD got the care she needed and is on the mend. Sad for your mom. My mom is in a nursing home and mostly wheel chair bound. Reading about your mom's strokes has made me wonder if my own mom has had strokes that affect her short term memory. It is amazing what she does remember and also what she doesn't.

Miriam ~ We miss it when you don't post. Glad to have you back. I grew up Southern Baptist but have also attended a Methodist, Presbyterian, and Non-Denominational Churches through the years. Our last experience was in a Non-Denominational Church and ended up making us very wary of going to church anywhere. Happy to say that we are slowly coming back.

Margaret ~ Sounds like you are a very deep thinker who has made great strides in trying to understand how others act and what motivates them. When I was teaching, I never had a year go by where some parent/child made my life difficult. It often made me think that I was in the wrong career. But, then there were the ones who came back to visit me years after they were in my class. <3

Carol

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,229 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The Archers made the national news tonight! :noway: I am going to listen to the next episode at 7 pm. What they are calling "Coercive Control" was made a criminal offence last year in the UK. Doesn't stop it happening though. :ohwell: :'(

My meatballs were doooooolishus! 450 cals of heaven! Alcohol free day today. :D

Love Heather UK
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Lisa My MIL was a hoarder and saved every single card she every received (which we found out when we cleaned out her house). So, I too, am a Card Chucker. I have a few from when the kids were very tiny, but that's it.
    Cards sit on the kitchen counter for a week and then into the trash. Guess I'm not very sentimental either.
    Maybe we can take pictures of cards in Walmart and email them to people after I put the card back!

It's snowing like crazy right now. I'm glad I decided to work from home today. I could have made it in easily, but know that the ride home would have been a nightmare.

Kimses in MA