WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I would like to join this group! I have just been fighting off the flu, and my goal is to get back to a healthy fitness routine, walk 10K steps a day, do my weight training program, and cut back on screen time in favour of real time!
    I'm glad spring is here because I plan to be riding my bike and walking outside.

Current weight: 185
    Goal weight: 165

smiley-signs060.gif..you joined just by posting...great goals that can be achieved day by day...cutting back on screen time will give you the time to achieve your other goals.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »

I also agree with the statement regarding eating and exercise. As we have mentioned on here many times, CICO is what equals weight loss. For sure you can't outrun the food you eat, BUT you can have more calories each day when additional calories are burned. However, exercise is what keeps our body (heart, muscles,bones, etc etc.) in a healthy state. They need to go hand in hand for a truly "healthy" life style. This is just my opinion, of course. I seem to be opening mouth inserting foot here lately.

Janetr OKC

I absolutely agree with this! However, when we are first starting out or coming back from a long hiatus, it makes sense to address one thing at s time. For me, that means logging honestly and eating right. Once the ball is rolling it is easier to add exercise, weights, etc.

Margaret ... Great NSV! I have to wonder, though, why some people feel a need to needle.

Beth
    When I started out at closer to 300 lbs than not, I know exercising was the last thing on my mind. I know you will do well, you have a plan and are ready to go for it. :)

At this point my comments or observations come more from the maintenance side rather than the starting out side. Apparently I'm having difficulty putting my thots to paper. I never intend to contradict nor offend with my posts.

Janetr okc
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    NSV ~ I held the plank for a whole minute! LOL

Carol, good for you. Hang in there.

Janetr okc
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sylvia... please keep us posted on how you're doing. Thinking about you.

Lisa
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, hugs and prayers. I'm so glad you are back and at least semi-okay. Please, please, please take care.

Larisa, glad you're okay with the advice re logging, but good job standing up for yourself and letting us know your feelings. Have you been taking lessons from Margaret?

Speaking of Margaret, you are very philosophical today. I've enjoyed your musings.

Peach Carol, I'm jealous of your bra problems. I actually think mine will resolve itself when I lose a few more pounds.

Lenora, each one of us is different, but I have to say that for me 1500 calories is not too many. My average is around 1800. I am consistently dropping 1/2 lb or so per week. Yes, I could eat less and lose faster, but I would not be "happy." Every time I've done that in the past it has come back on with a vengeance. I need to find something I can live with for the rest of my life. I know that I will have to cut back more as I get smaller, but I can already tell that I'm getting more satisfied with 1600 or 1700 than I used to be. My stomach is shrinking.

Sugar biscotti, I'm in love with your screen name. Welcome!

Rosie, get yourself to the public library every now and then and check in with us. We will miss you, but I am proud of you for making the hard decisions that need to be made.

Re substitute teaching, I've found that the best way to handle the wild ones is to not let them push your buttons. I had a bunch of ninth grade boys a few weeks back (not a girl in the class). One (of course you couldn't tell which one) would say "penis" and the others would giggle like little girls. After about three times of this, I calmly walked over in the direction of the sound and said, "it's amazing! Ninth grade boys haven't changed in 40 years." Then I walked back to my desk and drew out a diagram of their seats, walked back and started writing their names in the slots on my paper. It was crickets the rest of the period. I've subbed in that same room twice since and they give me no grief.

Then another class told me that the bells were broken and that it was time to go. I said, "I don't think so. You can leave if you like, but I will tell your teacher." Then the bells rang. I just laughed and said, "Good try, guys!"

Of course, it's easy to keep your patience and sense of humor when you know you don't have to come back if you don't want to. For the most part, they are good kids. One asked me to help her with her worksheet the other day. I started working the problem on the board for her. One of the guys in the back said, "wow! A smart sub!" I just smiled and said, "thank you, I think."

Kim, the password thing is hilarious, yet so sad at the same time because it is so true! The state teacher curriculum page is the worst. In frustration my password was Stupid*1. Then my student teacher got us locked out of my account, because she kept forgetting the star. To get it reset, the state tech support person had to call the school directly and speak to me on the school landline. Such a pain! The last school system I worked for made us change our password every three months. So frustrating. I had a system, one of my family members, a star, and their birthday. Ex: Mama*0328. I went through me, my husband, all the children, grandchildren, my parents, and my siblings. I had started back through the rounds with middle names when I retired.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    OK I have realized I have no filter when it comes to saying what I mean and meaning what I say. Sometimes I verbally step on you ladies toes, and that is not my intent, Truly! My intent is usually for you to see another side of a situation, or just another point of view.

As I get older I tend to speak for others that can't or won't or its not in their nature. Is it a need to take charge of a situation, or a need to protect? I don't have a clue. There are ladies on here, that I realize aren't "pot-stirrers" and its just not in their personalities to be one. I need to respect that, and for what I say sometimes, I apologize about coming on too strong in my opinions.

Maybe it was because I needed to make a big fuss to even get heard or recognized while I was a military wife. So I tend to do it in the civilian world. Need to stop that.

I hope everyone's weekend is going well. I upped my calories to 1400 calories instead of the 1250 MFP had me on. I also upped my sugar to 100 daily, because I was tired of seeing it always in the red from eating my cup of red grapefruit segments. Those alone killed my sugar intake, and for this week and next when I am eating it daily, I don't wish to see my sugar numbers in dang red.

Becca
    keeping it real in
    Oregon
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    i was reply to grits comment about her hearing that running with ankle weights is something that you shouldn't do.

obviously if your doc says, no more running for you, hopefully you will pay attention. after my shoulder surgery, i did what he said and he knew what i was doing and gave me the ok to do what i was doing. everyone should take care of themselves in that regard

Not to worry; I shan't be reckless, nor do anything uninformed. The further details on my particular situation are that both the hip surgeon and the ankle surgeon claim no restrictions, it's the PT who points out that in her opinion, neither of them is factoring in what the other has done.
    She has agreed to help me strengthen the right muscles for running should I need it, but only on my promise not to make it a habit. :disappointed:

For my part, I am also pretty well informed; my parents are both in medicine, and I've been through both massage school and Pilates instructor training, in addition to being a life-long weight lifter. So I will be careful and practice good body awareness, and decide over time, just how much running I'm willing to risk. TBH I just want to sprint now and then, for the joy of it. :blush:

I'm just agreeing with your basic message about owning your own body, and getting to make those decisions for yourself. :smile: I liked it!

Cheers!

Larisa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,542 Member
    Options
    annr - u haven't offended me yet, but maybe i have... oh well... strong personalities are something we have to try to keep in check

oh sold my bike! in less than 24 hours!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug LOL

Pip Yeah!
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Today did an hour at the gym. It was nice not packed no one was rude. 10 minutes cardio rest weight training. Pushed myself pretty hard. Felt good though. May not be able to lift my arms tomorrow. Who needs to brush their hair anyways. Lol

Love seeing all the new people and as always love to hear how everyone is doing. My life is not as exciting or full as many of yours are.

Anne from WI
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Hello! I'm a newbie to MFP. Explored it a year ago, but now feel I am determined to stay with the program of eating "correctly" and staying with an exercise program.

I'm a retired elementary teacher, working part time in reading intervention which I love. I also am passionate about gardening, cooking with an international flair, dogs (have a boxer and a boston rerrier), art, and reading for starters.

My goals for this week are:
    Eat three "appropriate" meals a day at regular times!
    Exercising at least 4-5 times during the week.
    Starting yoga once a week.
    Doing pilates from my cd and book.
    Tracking food and exercise!

I need help in keeping accountable!

Thanks, and happy Spring Sunday from Houston, Texas!

smiley-signs060.gif..you have come to the right place....I hope you will keep coming back and let us know how you're doing with your very impressive goals...I am retired from teaching elementary school and have two dogs who keep me walking every day, rain or shine.

253149qtzkf0ld22.gifBarbie from beautiful sunny NW Washington t113030.gif
  • barbiecat
    Options

Day 3 of the Squat Circuit Challenge complete and tomorrow is a rest day. I forgot to note who said they can't do it because of her knees, but you are right to avoid it, not wussing! I find that challenges help me to stay on track, so I especially like to start them if I've been slacking.

A few years ago I joined a challenge that was 100 squats a day for 100 days...by the end of the challenge, there were only three of us left.

t113030.gif..Barbie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    pattydugan wrote: »
    New to this community. Love the inspiration here. So being new, I'll add my resolutions for April.
    1. Be kind to myself, first and foremost (it's a journey, not a destination)
    2. Drink at least 3-4 bottles of water a day (I have extreme difficulty with this one)
    3. Weight Train (5-lbs weights) 2 times a week (specifically on Sunday and Wednesday)
    4. Walk after work on Fridays; 20 minutes to start

Now to write this down and post it on my front door to remind ME to JUST DO IT.

t113030.gif I love these resolutions and your plan to post them on your front door.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    RockinMBC wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Back to MFP after a long (too long) break.

My April goals:
    1. Limit my carb intake
    2. Swim at the Y 2x a week
    3. Practice bass for at least an hour everyday for upcoming show!

t113030.gifWelcome back...these goals sound very manageable.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Just recently returned to this site and this group. I have not logged on for quite a while. So here are my April Goals:

- Walk an average of 10,000/day
    - Log every morsel I put in my mouth
    - Exercise an average of 3 times/week
    - Weight train 2 times/week for 15 minutes
    - Do something different this month (i.e. drive a different route to the grocery store; get up an hour earlier)
    - Concentrate on loosing inches and not weight this time

I may add one or two more items to this list as the month progresses...

"Let's chop, chop Ladies!!!" Lol!!!
    t113030.gif What is your weight train plan? A lot of us weight train and are always looking for suggestions.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rosie: I'm sorry your situation is difficult. I hope you'll be back with us soon. :flowerforyou:

Janet OKC: I applaud you for doing squats. I don't plan to try it, though. I do yoga poses regularly that strengthen and stretch my knees. I agree with you completely about the value of exercise for health, AND for earning more food. :wink:

pattydugan: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Pip: I don't use monkey feet but DS loves them and has worn them for the last several years. :smiley:

LilPuertarician: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Penny: I think you have a very good idea. People need to hear about how good they are. I know that criticism never motivates me to do anything other than avoid the critic. :star:

60to35: We've had a sweet young thing or two visit with us from time to time. You are welcome here. :smiley:

Peach: Congrats on the minute long plank!!!!! :bigsmile:

Becca: My diary does not report sugar. It reports carbs, fat & protein. It has always been that way. I wonder if there are settings somewhere that I don't know about. I'm not actually worried about it because I'm satisfied with my progress, but I find it interesting that your reports from MFP seem to be different than mine. :huh: BTW, your comments have not offended me. :smiley:

Anne from WI: "My life is not as exciting or full as many of yours are." Your life has been plenty exciting in past months, but not fun for you. I hope it is more to your liking every day and that you find many ways to have a bit of fun. One of the best things I did for myself was to add the "have fun every day goal." Sometimes it is simply noticing the hummingbirds at the feeder. Sometimes it is walking with a neighbor, or taking a lesson. Having fun doesn't have to be a big deal, but it helps when it happens frequently. I've found it is important in having a happy life. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

April Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • nb1959
    nb1959 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Day 2. I learned that my normal Sunday breakfast eats up a half day's calories. Lesson: Log first then eat!!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :)Katla, If you go to your home page and click on "Settings", then click on "Diary Settings", you can choose from a list of 15 nutrients/macros and keep track of five of them on your food diary....I have changed those settings from time to time when I was curious about how I was doing with a particular nutrient (like Calcium, for example)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Yes, Katla, there are settings where you can track your sugar. I hid that one a long time ago. LOL!

I love you in-our-face, envelope pushing, foot in the mouth ladies. I love you non-pot-stirring ladies. I love you strong ladies and you wimpy ladies. I even love the ones who bring up politics and I can tell we cancel each other's vote. I love the ones who have this weight loss thing whipped and I love the ones who struggle. I just love you all.

By the way, I'm not calling any names on those labels. I'm not even labeling myself.