Anyone else here hate counting every single calorie?

Options

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Logging my food honestly doesn't bother. It takes 1-2 minutes at most to log an entire meal. I usually log my meals for the next day so I know where I stand, instead of logging as I'm eating. My biggest frustration is when I make meals that have several servings so I have to weigh everything exactly to make sure each portion is the same. Example, the other night I made Lasagna rolls and I had to weigh the ricotta/cheese mixture for each roll instead of eyeballing. Then I had to do the same for the shredded cheese and sauce. It's definitely more time consuming, but I've gotten pretty good at it. It would be so much easier to just slap the ingredients on there, but Lord only knows how many calories I'd wind up eating.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I counted calories initially which I think is great for educational purposes. I just count macros now and focus on food quality. Better adherence, lost 33 pounds so far (220-187) and much more manageable. Anyone else feel the same?

Not me. I spent 15 years trying to lose weight without counting calories.
    I've had better and more consistant success just logging my food every day. I've been doing it for over a year now and will continue.
    My dh has not counted a single calorie and has lost more than me. However, I think he is having a harder time maintaining at the weight he wants to be.
  • mwinslow69
    mwinslow69 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. Keep going. Don't forget to visualize your goal.
  • mwinslow69
    Options
    I'm seeing the trend that it's either count calories or get fat. Part of also what I do is just make sure my pantry is stocked with whole food. Sure I may indulge in some processed foods once in a while but I don't keep it in my home too often. I'd say my fridge and pantry is stocked with like 85% whole nutrient dense foods, and 15% processed food (Doritos and chocolate sometimes as I enjoy these every one in a while). Anyone else consider this method instead?
    I'm seeing the trend that it's either count calories or get fat. Part of also what I do is just make sure my pantry is stocked with whole food. Sure I may indulge in some processed foods once in a while but I don't keep it in my home too often. I'd say my fridge and pantry is stocked with like 85% whole nutrient dense foods, and 15% processed food (Doritos and chocolate sometimes as I enjoy these every one in a while). Anyone else consider this method instead?

• mwinslow69
    Options
    mwinslow69 wrote: »

• mwinslow69
    Options
    I do this too. My fridge is stocked with whole. Not processed foods. About 10% snacks.
  • mwinslow69
    Options
    Snacks like pretzels. Tortilla chips. Deluxe nuts. Pumpkin seeds.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking to hit all three macros, you are counting calories.

Thanks for the the great responses everyone! I appreciate them all! After giving it thought, I agree that logging macros would equate to logging calories by default. I read my initial comment and misstated what my intention was. I log in my calories, but not every single one of them. For example, I don't log in fruits and vegetables, and I've found that there are many people on MFP who don't log in their fruits and vegetables as well. If anything, as thunderztorm stated earlier in the thread, I use MFP as a rough guideline. I shifted from calorie/macro counting to more eyeballing food and being more generally "aware" of my consumption as opposed to meticulously counting.

Additionally, there are many people in MFP and others who have tracked calories before, had great success with it, but regained back all the weight because they stopped counting. This leads me to think that calorie counting in general is not sustainable for the majority of the population. Yes people can say they are "lazy" or "they just don't want it enough," but I would disagree. As I mentioned earlier, I think calorie counting is great initially for educational purposes, but I also think "leveling up" or shifting away to a more simpler effective strategy from calorie counting can be very beneficial.

Thanks all for keeping me honest! =)

I think the "awareness" (aka the more hype-y "mindfulness") is the central point - ok, some people need to be very accurate when margins become minuscule, but for most of us, the logging just keeps us generally reminded that every bite counts. Regaining doesn't happen because we stop counting, but because we start overeating again. Counting doesn't even stop overeating, but it can help us not overeat. Lots of other methods can help us not overeat. Maybe is "the best method" depending on what and how you eat, and definitely on personality - the most effective strategy is one that provides the wanted result (and no or few adverse effects) for the least (perceived) effort. For some people, counting calories IS the simplest and most effective strategy.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I love counting calories. I pre-log my day because I pretty much eat the same things every day. That way I know what I can eat and time them accordingly without having to figure out if I will go over. It makes me happy knowing that I can eat and still lose weight if I stick to it.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've incorporated it into my life such that it's part of my routine and doesn't bother me at all. I love it because it removes all the questions about whether I should eat something or not, all the info is right there in black and white.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I find I restrict less, binge less, obsess less and worry less when I count calories. I don't mind it at all. It allows me to have that piece of cake if I wanted it instead of deeming it "too high in calories" right off the bat because I'm not certain if it would push me over maintenance or not. Knowledge is relaxing to me, and the few seconds it takes is a very acceptable trade off. Counting macros, however, is stressful to me because it means introducing more of the foods I don't like and juggling too much at once, so I only keep a casual eye on my protein and don't worry too much if I don't meet it every day.

To each their own. Do what works for you, and if it stops working, experiment with other strategies.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    There is a middle ground between just mindlessly eating everything and literally counting every calorie.

I think we all have to find where in the middle suits ourselves individually best.

I do not count 'every single calorie' - I freely confess I do lazy logging - guestimate when eating out, log every mandarine as a medium mandarine, every cappacino as the same, every piece of toast as the same etc.

This level works for me and I lost and then 2 years maintained doing this.

If others can acheive their goals by strict tight logging or by not counting at all - good for them.

It is the results that count, not the process.

• aflies
    aflies Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's a love - hate relationship.... I hate it because I have to face what I put in my mouth and hold myself accountable, I love it because it helps me hold myself accountable and I stop eating before I weigh over 200 pounds again.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    There is a middle ground between just mindlessly eating everything and literally counting every calorie.

I think we all have to find where in the middle suits ourselves individually best.

I do not count 'every single calorie' - I freely confess I do lazy logging - guestimate when eating out, log every mandarine as a medium mandarine, every cappacino as the same, every piece of toast as the same etc.

If others can acheive their goals by strict tight logging or by not counting at all - good for them.

This is very much the same for me. I don't bother counting salad, because if I'm gaining weight is sure as hell isn't the lettuce, cucumber or spring onions with my lunch causing the problem.
  • 8diamonds
    8diamonds Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It was annoying at first but now it's part of my routine. This is the main reason I have been able to lose weight as before I was underestimating the amount I was eating which is so easily done!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »

This is very much the same for me. I don't bother counting salad, because if I'm gaining weight is sure as hell isn't the lettuce, cucumber or spring onions with my lunch causing the problem.

No but it could be because of the piece of chocolate that you thought you could afford but actually takes you over maintenance because you didn't log the lettuce, cucumber, and onions that you had at lunch.

I mean it's not a single thing that makes people put on weight, it's just eating more than they should... but you know that.

I do count every calorie... because I want to make sure that I can afford that piece of chocolate. And this way, I don't have to feel bad about eating it... in the end it seems healthier than people who lost weight avoiding 'junk' and end up feeling guilty every time they eat a cookie.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

No but it could be because of the piece of chocolate that you thought you could afford but actually takes you over maintenance because you didn't log the lettuce, cucumber, and onions that you had at lunch.

I mean it's not a single thing that makes people put on weight, it's just eating more than they should... but you know that.

I do count every calorie... because I want to make sure that I can afford that piece of chocolate. And this way, I don't have to feel bad about eating it... in the end it seems healthier than people who lost weight avoiding 'junk' and end up feeling guilty every time they eat a cookie.

This. I'm back to logging everything that has calories again because it's all about the math. Vegetables have calories in them and that adds to my calorie totals, just like any other food does. It seems like so many people get bogged down by looking at individual calorie counts of certain foods, and don't realize that you have to look at how everything fits together, calorie wise.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well, one way to not feel guilty is to not feel guilty. For example, the previous poster could eat the cookie and simply not worry because she didn't log ~50 calories of lettuce and kale
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people that did wonderfully well and lost over 70+ in 2013 on MFP. Got "fed up" with counting calories and had hit my goal, so stopped counting and BAM 15 pounds back on through 2014. My eyeballing the portions just doesn't work for me and in all honesty - I was not being completely honest in my eating habits. Therefore, 2015 saw me back on to lose the weight. End of 2015, off again due to medical issues in my family. Beginning 2016 - yep, back on here and counting up a storm and have now accepted my fate. It takes me a while - old dog, new tricks thing. What helps me a great deal with having to count on a daily basis, is spending a couple of hours each weekend planning the week and then prepping. What a Huge help. I make 100-150 calorie snack bags for each of us for the whole week. Prep all veggies and meats so when I do go to make a recipe I have already input into my MFP - pretty much counted for me. Easier to portion out that way. Spend the time on recipes you make consistently and voila` easy as pie...... ohhhh, pie!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well, one way to not feel guilty is to not feel guilty. For example, the previous poster could eat the cookie and simply not worry because she didn't log ~50 calories of lettuce and kale

Yes and this is exactly how I got fat... not feeling guilty for eating a cookie that may or may not have fit in my day... and the only way I would know for sure that it fits in my day is if I log everything.

I had a small deficit last week (800ish). Quite sure that I ate more than that in veggies/condiments... so if I hadn't logged them, I would have wiped off my deficit.

Knowledge is power. And my willpower sucks. If it wasn't the case, I could probably get away with not logging properly, but it's definitely not the case.