April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    And a great big welcome to all of our newcomers. There are too numerous for me to mention separately. If you need anything, just let me know by either tagging me in this thread with @Stoshew71 or sending me a PM.

Stan
  • CChen8520
    CChen8520 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Didn't finish March (excuses are irrelevant) but April Here I come!!!

Feeling great i'm starting week 7 of C25K tomorrow :smiley:

exercise.png
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - We're not entirely sure what happened. She was found in their yard, a short distance from the fence line. She either went under the fence and was in their yard, or their dog grabbed her under the fence and pulled her through. Knowing both dogs, I think the second option is more likely.

A little history: I know that Maggie was not aggressive. She was a stray, and instantly got along with every dog and person she ever met. Very friendly. We were able to integrate her into our herd of mongrels with zero effort (including everything from Pekingese to German Shepherds and Pitbulls).

The neighbor dog (it's a rottweiler), on the other hand, has previously reached through the fence (they have 4"x4" field fencing--which she can get her head completely through) and attacked our pet goose that was grazing nearby. We had to put him down due to the extensive injuries.

The neighbor dog has also previously attacked one of their own dogs and almost severed its paw. There are 6 dogs in their backyard that get almost zero attention. The rottweiler is the only aggressive one, and she was the only one that participated in the attack against Maggie (she was covered in blood, all the others were clean).

In our dogs' area, which encompasses the yard in front of our house, we used 2"x4" horse fence to protect our dogs from theirs, and to keep the little dogs from going through the fence. Their dogs come over every morning as soon as they are let out of their kennels and snarl and bark at our dogs while running the fence line. Previously, I just considered it annoying, but it's clearly gone too far...

We requested that the neighbors get rid of the problem dog. They have agreed to no longer allow her free reign of their yard. They will either contain her in a smaller fenced area away from our property line or will get rid of her. For now, she is kenneled 24/7 until they can decide on a long term solution. They are also building a privacy fence along the property line that intersects with our dogs' area and house to help prevent the dogs from coming over and bothering us, though that is no longer an issue with the rottweiler locked up. They did also offer to pay for us to get another dog or puppy in her stead, but we declined. We do have 6 dogs still, after all, thanks to the steady stream of strays.

ETA: We are friendly with the neighbors in question. We just have a problem with the rottweiler...I know they feel as horrible about the situation as we do. And the neighbors adored Maggie (they will feed our dogs and take them outside on the rare occasions when we go out of town and leave them home). Of all our dogs, Maggie was definitely their favorite.
  • zoe2434
    zoe2434 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater so sorry to hear about your dog
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater really sorry to hear about your dog!

@MNLittleFinn are you taking anything with you on your runs to deter animals should one take an interest in you? I used to take bear spray and an air horn with me when running at the cottage. We had three bear encounters just on my road one season. It's worth having something with you just in case. I also used to have a little personal alarm that was small and would just tuck into a pocket, that would work to scare something away.

It snowed a bunch here overnight, so it was a treadmill run for me today. I don't mind running in snow but I would have had to take my youngest in a jogging stroller and it doesn't work well in snow and ice.

Also my jogging stroller is 7 years old and starting to rust and squeak, the brakes no longer work. Anyone have any suggestions for a new one?

4/3- 5 miles
    4/4 - 3.5 miles
    8.5/60

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    4/1...5.0 @ 12:00 on the TM (4.0 @ 11:15 and 1.0 walking)
    4/2....3.1 @ 11:45 through the neighborhood. My ankle hurt the first mile or so, especially on the uphill bits--downhill isn't too bad
    4/3...Rest day
    4/4...4.6 @ 11:32 on the rail trail and neighborhood streets--I made a new loop out of some paths I take regularly and really liked it. There are some big hills, but it's almost entirely paved, so it's a slightly faster run than my same distance on the park trail (which is almost entirely gravel and rock/dirt/tree roots). I'll do this one again, for sure. I think I have the perfect spur to make it an even 5 or 6 miles, too.

Oh! And no ankle pain today. I've been working to stretch that tendon in the morning before I get out of bed, and I think the additional rest days are good, too. I'm still getting new shoes, though...new shoes make everything better, lol!

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian - Congrats on the PR time! And on the ITB pain going away so quickly. :smile:

Thanks, and thanks! :smile:
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @louubelle16 I think I congratulated you on strava but not here. Congrats on your HM PB. :-) Wonderful job.

Thank you :smile:
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - We're not entirely sure what happened. She was found in their yard, a short distance from the fence line. She either went under the fence and was in their yard, or their dog grabbed her under the fence and pulled her through. Knowing both dogs, I think the second option is more likely.

A little history: I know that Maggie was not aggressive. She was a stray, and instantly got along with every dog and person she ever met. Very friendly. We were able to integrate her into our herd of mongrels with zero effort (including everything from Pekingese to German Shepherds and Pitbulls).

The neighbor dog (it's a rottweiler), on the other hand, has previously reached through the fence (they have 4"x4" field fencing--which she can get her head completely through) and attacked our pet goose that was grazing nearby. We had to put him down due to the extensive injuries.

The neighbor dog has also previously attacked one of their own dogs and almost severed its paw. There are 6 dogs in their backyard that get almost zero attention. The rottweiler is the only aggressive one, and she was the only one that participated in the attack against Maggie (she was covered in blood, all the others were clean).

In our dogs' area, which encompasses the yard in front of our house, we used 2"x4" horse fence to protect our dogs from theirs, and to keep the little dogs from going through the fence. Their dogs come over every morning as soon as they are let out of their kennels and snarl and bark at our dogs while running the fence line. Previously, I just considered it annoying, but it's clearly gone too far...

We requested that the neighbors get rid of the problem dog. They have agreed to no longer allow her free reign of their yard. They will either contain her in a smaller fenced area away from our property line or will get rid of her. For now, she is kenneled 24/7 until they can decide on a long term solution. They are also building a privacy fence along the property line that intersects with our dogs' area and house to help prevent the dogs from coming over and bothering us, though that is no longer an issue with the rottweiler locked up. They did also offer to pay for us to get another dog or puppy in her stead, but we declined. We do have 6 dogs still, after all, thanks to the steady stream of strays.

ETA: We are friendly with the neighbors in question. We just have a problem with the rottweiler...I know they feel as horrible about the situation as we do. And the neighbors adored Maggie (they will feed our dogs and take them outside on the rare occasions when we go out of town and leave them home). Of all our dogs, Maggie was definitely their favorite.

I know you said you are friendly with your neighbors, but maybe a call to the local animal control or police is in order. What happened to Maggie is awful. To have it happen again to another one of your pets, one of their other dogs, or god forbid, one of you or a child would be 10 times worse.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I’m going to need to get back into it, I’ve gotten off the wagon for sure. Ended up at 49.6/75 miles for month of March. Good thing I’ve got 4 months because I’ll need all of it to try and hit my goal of a decently run half in August. Goal will be 75 again for this month.

04/01: PLAN:?? 5 easy miles on treadmill at the hotel
    04/02: Did not run
    04/03: Did not run

exercise.png

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for April
    4/1 REST DAY
    4/2 14.3 miles - 14.3 <<< 13.1 HM + 1.2 warmup
    4/3 REST DAY
    4/4 4.2 miles - 18.5 << will try and get a second lunch time run in
    4/4 4.0 miles - 22.5 << daily double, 3E +1HMP

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler - 6/25

• 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Okay - I'm getting a little frustrated, mostly with myself, I think, or else with my level of knowledge or application or something.

Strava says my pace Saturday for the 10K was 1:05:55 (clock time - not chipped - was ~1:07:08). When I feed that number into McMillanRunning.com, the calculator says my training pace at that level, when clicking on "Endurance Monster," should be 11:34-12:41 on a long run. As it is, my run today was 8.11 miles, 1:31:24 or 11:16/mile, so it definitely qualifies as a "long run", but even at that pace, I REALLY DON'T THINK I can "run" slower. I know that @Stoshew71 has indicated that a "run" consists of both feet off the ground at some point in the cycle, and "walk" is one foot on the ground at all points in the cycle, so I can tell you that my slow run is a real run, and a LOT of that 11:16/mile is walking.

HOW DO YOU GO SLOWER? I feel like my slow pace is awfully bouncy. I don't want to modify my gait and hurt myself, so....
  • 9voice9
    Options
    I felt so bad and the doctor said when they have no fever and seem fine (except when they are throwing up duh), you just don't realize they are really that sick.
    As parents - there is no worse feeling in the world than knowing your kid is feeling bad, and feeling helpless to do much about it. I know, there's also a tinge of "kid, what were you thinking, not following instructions", but that's nothing compared to the heart-hurt for your kids. Sorry for Skip and sorrier for you!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - It could be possible that you need to work the other way. Perhaps 11:16 is your training pace and maybe you could run a 10k faster?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - It could be possible that you need to work the other way. Perhaps 11:16 is your training pace and maybe you could run a 10k faster?
    That's what I was thinking too.
  • 9voice9
    Options
    @9voice9 - So the ministerial count thing...is that a standard multiplier, or is it something like counting heads on a moving crowd and some heads are counted more than once?:smile:
    Yeah - honestly, it's basically whatever number makes you look better than the other minister to whom you're comparing yourself talking/sharing/fellowshipping.
  • 9voice9
    edited April 2016
    Options
    01-Apr: 0.00 miles but 4.42 miles (walk)
    02-Apr: 6.63 miles
    03-Apr: <Life Day>
    04-Apr: 8.11 miles
    05-Apr:
    06-Apr:
    07-Apr:
    08-Apr:
    09-Apr:
    10-Apr: <Life Day>
    11-Apr:
    12-Apr:
    13-Apr:
    14-Apr:
    15-Apr:
    16-Apr:
    17-Apr: <Life Day>
    18-Apr:
    19-Apr:
    20-Apr:
    21-Apr:
    22-Apr:
    23-Apr:
    24-Apr: <Life Day>
    25-Apr:
    26-Apr:
    27-Apr:
    28-Apr:
    29-Apr:
    30-Apr:

Upcoming Races:
    09-Apr: No Excuse for Child Abuse (Central Ga Tech) OR
    Perry Dogwood Festival 5K (Perry HS X-Country team)
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    23-Apr: Christ School 5K OR
    Taylor County Race for Literacy 5K
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA

exercise.png

@WhatMeRunning, @MNLittleFinn: thanks for the responses. I guess I was hoping for a magic formula that would let me be easier, not smart folks who know that I needed a kick in the *kitten*. :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    01-Apr: 0.00 miles but 4.42 miles (walk)

@WhatMeRunning, @MNLittleFinn: thanks for the responses. I guess I was hoping for a magic formula that would let me be easier, not smart folks who know that I needed a kick in the *kitten*. :smiley:

I'm in the same place as you with having a hard time going slower, I just don't have any official race results to use to remind me that I should slow it down....training session PRs aren't "real" results.....
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Do you or have you trained with a heart rate monitor? McMillan calculators are good approximations, but they aren't spot on for everyone. If your heart rate is in the proper zone when you are running @ 11:16, then that is probably a good pace for you (and, yeah, it's likely that you might be able to push a little more out of that 10K ;) ) However, if your heart rate is too high at 11:16, then you can, and should, really concentrate on slowing it down to get it into the right zone. Of course, finding the right zones for you takes a little work as well.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Okay - I'm getting a little frustrated, mostly with myself, I think, or else with my level of knowledge or application or something.

Strava says my pace Saturday for the 10K was 1:05:55 (clock time - not chipped - was ~1:07:08). When I feed that number into McMillanRunning.com, the calculator says my training pace at that level, when clicking on "Endurance Monster," should be 11:34-12:41 on a long run. As it is, my run today was 8.11 miles, 1:31:24 or 11:16/mile, so it definitely qualifies as a "long run", but even at that pace, I REALLY DON'T THINK I can "run" slower. I know that @Stoshew71 has indicated that a "run" consists of both feet off the ground at some point in the cycle, and "walk" is one foot on the ground at all points in the cycle, so I can tell you that my slow run is a real run, and a LOT of that 11:16/mile is walking.

HOW DO YOU GO SLOWER? I feel like my slow pace is awfully bouncy. I don't want to modify my gait and hurt myself, so....

Question: When you ran the 8.11 miles @ 11:16 pace, was it a conversational pace? The entire time, could you keep a conversation with a runny buddy (real or imaginary) the entire time? Or could you feel that your breathing was getting heavy enough where holding a conversation would be tough?

If 11:16 is truly the slowest you could "run" and breathing was getting too heavy at times, then you may have to consider run/walk intervals to maintain a low enough heart rate.
    If 11:16 is a nice conversational pace, then maintain that pace despite what the McMillan calculator suggests.

Do you know what your cadence is (how many steps per minute)? If you are taking too long of a stride, you can quicken your steps a little by taking smaller steps. This may help you slow down as well and without the bouncing (verticle oscillation is what we call it).