What to do at night when your hungry?!?!

Options

Replies

• EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I will usually set down the evening before and log what I am going to eat for the next day with Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and try to leave enough calories for something late at night while still staying at or below my daily calories consumed base goal.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    simple solution: plan for the snack ahead of time by knowing what you will eat later and prelog it into your tracker. then adjust your day around it. I find its better to just go with it instead of fighting it. less stress that way
  • kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For everyone drinking water after dinner before bed, how do you sleep through the night? If I have so much as a 6 ounce cup of tea I get up to ... 2 or 3 times a night> :( Great advice egable1. Also what are good bedtime snacks? I would imagine it would have to be a bit of protein, some carbs and not much fat. An apple and a few almonds? Fruit and nuts seems like a good combo but easy on the nuts.
  • firstlay_d
    firstlay_d Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Acv and lemon water!
  • firstlay_d
    firstlay_d Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Go to bed and imagine myself the way I want to be. Wake up be happy isuceededed yesterday ..if I did.... Start again today. Repeat.

Ha!
  • natalieselby2
    natalieselby2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm going to try some of these next time I get hungry at night.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If your body is hungry then I would eat.

Or maybe try:
    -eating your dinner at a later time
    -eating 4-6 small meals per day instead of 3 meals
    -adding something else to the dinner meal to fill you up more or changing it around some (not sure what you eat so it's hard to comment on that part)
    -plan your meals ahead of time and leave enough calories for a snack before bed
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For those of you who drink liquid right before bed, doesn't it make you need to get up and pee?

I budget calories for a bedtime snack, and if I'm thirsty, have fruit.

I can drink or not drink before bed and I go to the bathroom a few times per night. If I wake for any reason I can't go back to sleep without going to the bathroom first.
  • mrbunsrocks
    mrbunsrocks Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    egable gave some great advice!

I echo others who said to save a few calories throughout the day to let you have about 100-150 cals left for a healthy snack. One of my favourite snacks in that range is a can of tuna with some fresh cracked pepper and about 1 T red wine vinegar. Tons of protein, not to many calories and is very satisfying.

Otherwise, I drink fancy tea or flavoured sparkling water. I like to sip things in the evening, so I switched out my wine sipping habit for a tea/sparkling water habit.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I drink light hot cocoa. 25 calories. After that I go to bed so I can't eat anything anymore.
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always save some calories for a night time treat worked so well for me and you look forward to it all day. No way I could go without something before bed.
  • fenharels
    fenharels Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a late dinner. If I go to bed unreasonably late so there's a lot of time between dinner and going to bed, I'll have some caffeine-free tea.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I can usually trick myself by drinking something- tea, cashew milk, decaf coffee.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Plan an evening snack. I prefer half of a serving of ice cream and a few almonds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    kirayng2 wrote: »
    For everyone drinking water after dinner before bed, how do you sleep through the night? If I have so much as a 6 ounce cup of tea I get up to ... 2 or 3 times a night> :( Great advice egable1. Also what are good bedtime snacks? I would imagine it would have to be a bit of protein, some carbs and not much fat. An apple and a few almonds? Fruit and nuts seems like a good combo but easy on the nuts.

I have a 6 y.o. and 3 y.o...if getting up to pee a couple times per night was my biggest problem, I'd be living the dream. I haven't slept through the night in over 6 years.

• mertyross
    mertyross Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Some great advice. A small snack is a good idea. I drink a lot of water during the day, but getting up through the night for a pee is annoying, so I limit the amount of water I drink way before bed lol
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Usually I have either thirst or boredom hunger before bed. If I'm feeling thirsty I drink, otherwise I just ignore it and go to bed as I don't like waking up in the middle of the night (I do that enough on my own).
    If I have actual hunger signs, or enough leftover calories, then I'll have some peanut butter, small apple, etc.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have a later dinner to help. I probably sleep 2hrs after dinner, I want to snack but am not hungry. Or make a cup of tea for yourself to drink just before bed, perhaps that warm sensation would help you sleep without feeling too hungry.
  • drpsamin
    drpsamin Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Eat a fruit and log it for next day
  • nlkklrocks
    nlkklrocks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I do a few things - usually i try a really flavorful herbal tea - but i can't drink that after 9pm or I have to get up to pee (like others have said)... air popped popcorn is great too, something like 3 cups popped for 35 calories so a GREAT filler for low cals... distraction helps too, read or take a bath... i usually have one square of SUPER dark chocolate (i like alter ego 85% it only has like 4g sugar) which keeps me content. On days when those just don't cut it, I spend time on the MFP success stories threads, particularly the photo ones, which motivate me and actually invite the hungry feeling in anticipation of being able to post my own. do some experiments everyone mentioned, if you jack up your protein intake for a week and are still crazy hungry try other things (eat less protein in the am and even more at night, try eating half your dinner at dinner time and the other half closer to bed, etc. etc.).