Options
13»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    darlswife wrote: »
    We have that book here. My husband wanted to try it. Water sauté - ing made me burn our wok. And I effing hate kale. I am willing to make a lot of changes in my life to lose weight, but giving up meat is not one of them. Eating huge plates of water sautéd veggies is not for me. I think there was one recipe that may have been tolerable but he had recipes with 15 different ingredients. Even the smoothies were awful. Not impressed. Let me eat my own food sautéed in whatever I want. He's into the memberships and the money.

Stuff like that is what makes me think he's really over the top. I'd try a plant-based diet for a while to see if I liked how it makes me feel (I actually started an experiment and might go back to it). But I really don't understand the idea that even small amounts of olive oil must be avoided, especially since it makes vegetables so much tastier (although I am suspicious that it's something related to that).

I think the idea is because it doesn't taste as good, you're going to eat only to extinguish your hunger. I tried "Eat to Live" for a week years ago and it felt like a struggle to eat because so much of the food was raw and the salt/fat content was so low.

Yeah, that was my suspicion.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    dwalt15110 wrote: »
    Wow! It's so amazing how differences in opinion certainly bring out the cattiness in people. First of all, there is no best way to lose weight. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone works out in the same way. I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but calories in and calories out doesn't work for everyone.

Second, perhaps instead of being closed minded, you might want to read to be better informed. If you haven't read Dr. Fuhrman's book and researched his approach, you have no idea what he has proposed. I always find that those who attack something do so because it's different from what they think is right.

I know no one would ever eat Doritos, but 1 ounce of Doritos is 140 calories. That's 11 chips. Not very filling. Yet, for that same 140 calories, I can eat almost 1 pound of green beans.

A vegetarian approach is not for everyone, just as a diet of meat isn't, or one based on fats, and I can go on and on. However, there is a respectful way of disagreeing and a disrespectful way. Attacking someone's ideas, because they don't match yours is disrespectful. Even without caps lock on, attitude shines through.

OP I'm glad you found something that has you exciting about losing weight. Only you will know if this is the right thing for you.

Calories in < calories out works for everyone. Always.

And Fuhrman, Isn't he the one that talks about "toxic hunger?" LOL He's a regular on Oz, so I personally have no interest or belief in what he says. All credibility is lost there with me.

(And does anyone actually eat an entire pound of green beans in one sitting? I think I'd never eat another green bean again, like that time when I was a kid and ate an entire package of coconut flakes. I couldn't eat coconut for about 20 years after that.)

I'm pretty crazy for raw green beans - I can put away about a pound raw, no dressing/dip. But I regret it gastrointestinally later when my body wonders what I just put it through....

I think your first point is a bit nitpicky though. Clearly he's not talking about CICO as a scientific concept, but as a diet - where you don't worry about anything else but calorie content, often paired with a heavy emphasis on perfect food logging. For many people, this kind of lifestyle just isn't sustainable and they work much better on a diet with black and white rules - even if the rules end up adhering to the CICO scientific concept, the way of eating isn't focused on it.
  • redchevy54
    redchevy54 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't know of their relationship except that Dr. Oz wrote the preface for Dr Fuhrman's book Eat to Live.
  • redchevy54
    Options
    He is always on the membership drive for PBS when they are asking for money.

That is where I first heard him talk. What he said made sense. I bought the audio book and his encouragement and validation of nutrition principles has changed my life.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    redchevy54 wrote: »
    He is always on the membership drive for PBS when they are asking for money.

That is where I first heard him talk. What he said made sense. I bought the audio book and his encouragement and validation of nutrition principles has changed my life.
    His Eat to Live book was published in 2003. It has a reasonable plan.
    Later, Furhman went of the rails when he made a nutty web site and hooked up with the quack Dr. Oz.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Fuhrman is a grade A quack.
  • redchevy54
    Options
    I'm pretty closed minded to all you haters. I have tested Fuhrman's ideas and found them to work. I hoped to get support from others that had found success as well as share what has given me so much hope and success.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Again, please read the Eat to Live book by Doctor Joel Fuhrman before making judgments or thoughtless statements. Don't put down people looking for true nutrition. I don't count calories, and I look for nutrient rich foods, whole foods not processed. I also review what is good to eat to avoid cancer and/or recover from cancer. I also know meat has no fiber and clogs arteries. In addition, I saw my cholestrol fall form the 200s to 147 and all my other numbers looking better than ever.

I too had a major drop in my cholesterol, but I have not given up meat, eggs, cheese, or, really, any foods. I personally do not do well on diets that restrict certain foods or food groups.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty closed minded to all you haters. I have tested Fuhrman's ideas and found them to work. I hoped to get support from others that had found success as well as share what has given me so much hope and success.

of course- the only answer to everyone's thoughts is - we are haters.

Clearly.

it's the only logical answer.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    dwalt15110 wrote: »
    Wow! It's so amazing how differences in opinion certainly bring out the cattiness in people. First of all, there is no best way to lose weight. Not everyone likes the same things. Not everyone works out in the same way. I know this is going to sound blasphemous, but calories in and calories out doesn't work for everyone.

Second, perhaps instead of being closed minded, you might want to read to be better informed. If you haven't read Dr. Fuhrman's book and researched his approach, you have no idea what he has proposed. I always find that those who attack something do so because it's different from what they think is right.

I know no one would ever eat Doritos, but 1 ounce of Doritos is 140 calories. That's 11 chips. Not very filling. Yet, for that same 140 calories, I can eat almost 1 pound of green beans.

A vegetarian approach is not for everyone, just as a diet of meat isn't, or one based on fats, and I can go on and on. However, there is a respectful way of disagreeing and a disrespectful way. Attacking someone's ideas, because they don't match yours is disrespectful. Even without caps lock on, attitude shines through.

OP I'm glad you found something that has you exciting about losing weight. Only you will know if this is the right thing for you.

I eat Doritos. Granted I don't feel like eating them often, but when I feel like having them I do and enjoy every single one of these 11 chips.

That's besides the point though. If we are applying the same rules no one would eat nuts. Why would I eat walnuts when 1 ounce of walnuts is 185 calories? That's only 14 walnut halves (or 7 whole walnuts if you will). I can eat almost 15 Doritos for that many calories!

Kidding aside. The thing is, there is a place for Doritos (and walnuts, and green beans, and meat...etc) in a diet. You have a calorie allowance, so you budget the calories accordingly among the foods you feel you want for that day and judge what is worth the calories and what isn't. If you treat it like a money budget, do you always go for the cheapest options? Or do you sometimes buy something that isn't the cheapest simply because you deem it worthy? (tastier, looks better, has better options, provides better entertainment..etc)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Well, you could always join his community to be around like minded people, though (shockingly), it costs money to be a member.
    https://www.drfuhrman.com/members/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/members/default.aspx
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • meredith1629
    meredith1629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have read almost all of Dr. Fuhrman's books and several other books akin to Dr. Fuhrman's beliefs. I tend to agree with them about 80%. I believe that we all do need to eat more nutrient dense foods and eliminate or restrict other "not-so-great" foods like refined sugar. Does that mean it works for everyone? Absolutely not. I tried to do the 6-week diet and couldn't hack it.

I did learn that my taste changed a lot when I drastically lowered salt and sugar intake and I was more sensitive to those during and after I tried it. And I have tried several recipes and liked them. (And tried some that were absolutely awful!)

Now, I try to follow a plant-based diet but I eat cheese and yogurt and occasionally ice cream.

We all have strong beliefs about what is "right." Maybe there isn't a "right."
  • redchevy54
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful comment. I admit to being too absolute in my thinking. Although I will make concessions in what I eat when the social pressure is too high, I am most comfortable with restricting animal products, refined carbs, and oils while loading up on vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, and legumes. I have enjoyed the weight loss and the ability to move freely again. I don't suffer from arthritis stiffness and pain like I did before and have forgone the daily anti-inflammatory med. I only wish I could have adopted healthy eating earlier in my life. Perhaps I could have avoided having my left shoulder joint replaced due to osteoarthritis.
  • redchevy54
    Options
    I have read almost all of Dr. Fuhrman's books and several other books akin to Dr. Fuhrman's beliefs. I tend to agree with them about 80%. I believe that we all do need to eat more nutrient dense foods and eliminate or restrict other "not-so-great" foods like refined sugar. Does that mean it works for everyone? Absolutely not. I tried to do the 6-week diet and couldn't hack it.

I did learn that my taste changed a lot when I drastically lowered salt and sugar intake and I was more sensitive to those during and after I tried it. And I have tried several recipes and liked them. (And tried some that were absolutely awful!)

Now, I try to follow a plant-based diet but I eat cheese and yogurt and occasionally ice cream.

We all have strong beliefs about what is "right." Maybe there isn't a "right."

I am not familiar with the membership offer. I didn't use it. I am careful in my judgement against it although human nature is frequently to take advantage of others.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    “Broccoli has more protein than steak”—and other crap

http://eathropology.com/2013/04/08/broccoli-has-more-protein-than-steak-and-other-crap/

"I have nothing against a plants-only diet—in whatever form it takes—if that’s what a person want to do and it makes him/her happy. I have no more interest in converting a vegan to omnivory than I do in having a vegan attempt to convert me to swearing off bacon. I am also aware that there is more—much more—to food choices than the nutritional content of the food chosen.

But I’m afraid this is just one of those situations where ideology has been sent to do the work of science. Ideology has its place, and science has its flaws. Truth, facts, and beliefs can be hard to define and harder still to separate. I get all that. But – to quote Neil deGrasse Tyson – “The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.” Unfortunately, for all those gorilla-wannabees out there, the reverse also applies: Believing in something doesn’t make it true. You can believe all you want that broccoli is a better source of protein than steak, but your ribosomes don’t have access to a keyboard and they might vote differently.

Now, dear readers, if you ever run across some library-card-challenged blogger out there perpetuating Dr. Furhman’s little myth, you have a link to help spill some sunshine on the matter."
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it from the library right now, although I've been eating this way for about a year.

I've found that cutting out meat and cheese and full-fat dairy worked for me to get my cholesterol down, and I've progressively cut out dairy and eggs, without really trying particularly. I still have fish maybe once a week and meat occasionally, and will probably share a goose egg with the family once this year, but want to get my cholesterol down some more. My approach was to give it a go for a month and see what happened, but I had a visible goal in mind (my cholesterol numbers were truly awful after bingeing on saturated fats after reading the Nina-Whats-Her-Face-Saturated-Fats-Book) and I approached it as an experiment, getting tested both before and after the month. My tastes changed in that month, and I don't miss anything, even though I suppose I didn't really give anything up for good, so adherence hasn't been an issue. In fact, the flavors of what I enjoy are more diverse, spicy and tasty than before, so it just goes to show that if you're motivated it doesn't feel restrictive. You adapt.

Having said all that, mine was a study with an n=1, and so it won't suit or necessarily work for everyone, in a similar way to the recent study which cautioned people who originate from vegetarian-based cultures may struggle with coping with a more meat-oriented diet. Genetics and their interplay with your environment is a huge undiscovered country!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hoo boy
    Dr. Fuhrman is one of Dr. Oz's cronies, isn't he?

Yes, he is, and that is why I do not trust him. Why spend money to loose weight, when I have lost 160 pounds for free.