Ego Lifters

Options
1235»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I bet I could lift more than all you put together!!!

no one kickbacks more weight than me, NO ONE*

*except for all the people that do, but they only do it because their egos are inflated.

They can only lift more than you by using poor form.

Their gym-ending injuries are inevitable.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I know how this feels, but on the other hand i've experienced something opposite of this.

I am by no means weak, but i don't always lift in a hypertrophy or maximal strength range. Especially when working legs (which i am trying to correct synergistic dominance/overactive quads/underactive glutes). I actually also switch up my training from time to time, working hypertrophy or strength training for about a month at a time before switching back to endurance work.

SO-SO-SO often at my gym (which has a fair number of women in the weight room) i'll get scoffs from the other women like "wow, she doesn't know she needs to lift heavy" or "she knows lifting little barbie weights aren't going to do anything for her, right?". I even get guys in there with their girlfriends pointing to me where i'm doing an exercise and then they load up their girlfriends with more weight and replicate the movement.

Anyway, i'm a personal trainer and i always perform exercises with the best possible form, with a controlled and planned tempo, and with a purposeful repetition range. So, if you see me in the gym front squatting just the bar... i'm not weak. I can lift more. that just may not be my goal that day. I can lift a lot more. I can lift an insane amount if i wanted to just go in there and swing s#$t around all nilly-willy. :wink:

edit: this thread.... :lol:

I think people are just unnecessarily competitive. I complained in another "people at the gym" thread about someone who hopped on a treadmill next to me and started doing sprints. I was probably running 14 or 15 minute miles. Seems to happen a lot less when I run outside (people faster are eventually out of sight). I try not to let it irritate me, I am kind of anti-competitive. Someone racing me makes me want to stop and walk honestly. Like "yes, go ahead, I know I'm slow, I'm not trying to compete with you, there's no way I could..."

What if their plan was to run treadmill sprints and didn't even notice you?

Dude was looking over at my treadmill screen the whole time. He would sprint for a while, then hop up on the sides while the treadmill was still going, and after looking at his own screen would peer over at mine every time. I was like that French skunk in the old cartoons, plodding along very slowly and there he was like the cat, madly trying to get further ahead. Anyways, I thought it was weird at the time (that you wouldn't just change the speed of the treadmill) but was schooled in the last thread that it is totally legit (though it sounds dangerous) to hop up on the sides while resting in between sprint intervals. I was also schooled that I wasn't supposed to be bothered by this or comment on it in an internet thread. But I still say people are competitive. Some people like the competition, it fuels them to push further/farther/faster/stronger. Some people do not like the competition.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I know how this feels, but on the other hand i've experienced something opposite of this.

I am by no means weak, but i don't always lift in a hypertrophy or maximal strength range. Especially when working legs (which i am trying to correct synergistic dominance/overactive quads/underactive glutes). I actually also switch up my training from time to time, working hypertrophy or strength training for about a month at a time before switching back to endurance work.

SO-SO-SO often at my gym (which has a fair number of women in the weight room) i'll get scoffs from the other women like "wow, she doesn't know she needs to lift heavy" or "she knows lifting little barbie weights aren't going to do anything for her, right?". I even get guys in there with their girlfriends pointing to me where i'm doing an exercise and then they load up their girlfriends with more weight and replicate the movement.

Anyway, i'm a personal trainer and i always perform exercises with the best possible form, with a controlled and planned tempo, and with a purposeful repetition range. So, if you see me in the gym front squatting just the bar... i'm not weak. I can lift more. that just may not be my goal that day. I can lift a lot more. I can lift an insane amount if i wanted to just go in there and swing s#$t around all nilly-willy. :wink:

I think people are just unnecessarily competitive. I complained in another "people at the gym" thread about someone who hopped on a treadmill next to me and started doing sprints. I was probably running 14 or 15 minute miles. Seems to happen a lot less when I run outside (people faster are eventually out of sight). I try not to let it irritate me, I am kind of anti-competitive. Someone racing me makes me want to stop and walk honestly. Like "yes, go ahead, I know I'm slow, I'm not trying to compete with you, there's no way I could..."

Dude was looking over at my treadmill screen the whole time. He would sprint for a while, then hop up on the sides while the treadmill was still going, and after looking at his own screen would peer over at mine every time. I was like that French skunk in the old cartoons, plodding along very slowly and there he was like the cat, madly trying to get further ahead. Anyways, I thought it was weird at the time (that you wouldn't just change the speed of the treadmill) but was schooled in the last thread that it is totally legit (though it sounds dangerous) to hop up on the sides while resting in between sprint intervals. I was also schooled that I wasn't supposed to be bothered by this or comment on it in an internet thread. But I still say people are competitive. Some people like the competition, it fuels them to push further/farther/faster/stronger. Some people do not like the competition.

Some people just can't help looking at their treadmill neighbor/neighbor's screen/other people.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I got very into weight lifting for a while and I can tell you while the majority of days I went in there and lifted sets with forms I definitely had days where I was pissed off at the world and just wanted a new PR and ego lifted for no reason other than fxck everyone. I fail to see how anyone else's workout at the gym effects anybody except themselves. If they want to ego lift let them, if they want to do minimal weight and high reps let them, if they want to copy someone else's workout because they are unfamiliar with what to do - LET THEM.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    jsecret wrote: »
    I got very into weight lifting for a while and I can tell you while the majority of days I went in there and lifted sets with forms I definitely had days where I was pissed off at the world and just wanted a new PR and ego lifted for no reason other than fxck everyone. I fail to see how anyone else's workout at the gym effects anybody except themselves. If they want to ego lift let them, if they want to do minimal weight and high reps let them, if they want to copy someone else's workout because they are unfamiliar with what to do - LET THEM.

i think what they meant by ego lift is....

judging you for how much your lifting. OR trying to outlift you personally.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    In general I like to people watch. So seeing all the great comments in this thread is educational as well as funny. I approach the gym with only concerning myself. Execute my plan to the best of my abilities. If I notice other gym members, its to learn something and maybe adapt it to my routine. Or if I see an "ego lifter", it motivates me to work harder. I'm sure there are many finalists for *kitten* of the year at gyms across the US. But they are also at Starbucks. lol

Most egos are never checked at the door on the way into the gym. Sometimes that ego pushes you to do your best.
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had a guy who wanted to work in on bench with me. I was doing 5x5 slow and controlled reps, all touching my chest. I don't know why, but he insisted that I don't need to touch chest ever and proceeded to add on another pair of 45's for his set and barely went down for any of his reps. He tried to convince me to stay at the weight he was using, but I declined and went back down to my weight and continued to touch chest.

After this set, he suddenly didn't want to work in with me anymore. :|
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

Some people just can't help looking at their treadmill neighbor/neighbor's screen/other people.

And some people just want to watch the world burn...

66855383.jpg
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Worry about you, and no one else.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    For me, I only people watch if I'm on a cardio machine b/c it doesn't require any real thought, motivation, or mental strength. If I'm strength training (pole or weights), I'm completely focused on what I'm doing and no one else. Especially for pole, if your trying to go upside down while watching what someone else is doing, your going to fall and hurt yourself... badly.