Help me make coffee suck less

Options
e_v_v
e_v_v Posts: 131 Member
I'm a teacher, and I absolutely hate coffee. However, I force myself to drink it on select occasions when I just CAN'T function. I usually add a couple tablespoons of creamer to my coffee, but those calories quickly add up and make my total breakfast calories way too high.

I tried putting my unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee yesterday, and it was absolutely disgusting.

Help! What can I add to my coffee to make it low-calorie AND taste halfway decent?

Replies

• vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Lord tell me about it..
    I use sugar free DaVinci syrups and mix it with some unsweetened vanilla almond or cashew milk..i use my frother to make it nice and creamy before i add it to my coffee..they have some good ones..
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Some coffee brands taste better than others. Like Folgers is absolutely disgusting. I like Gevalia and McCafe. Try a better tasting creamer that's sugar free, they really aren't too bad.

I like to use french vanilla creamer and a few Splenda. But just like you, sometimes I can't get over the taste. Honestly I'll always be a zero-cal energy drink type of girl
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Peet's coffee is the only coffee I can drink. It's not cheap (9.99 or 10.99 at the grocery store for a bag) but if you don't drink it often, you won't go through it fast. I rarely drink coffee but if I have to, that's the only stuff I can drink black.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Step #1. Find a quality coffee bean that you like. I like a splash of half-half in mine but it's really good with nothing in it at all. I think it hits in at 5 calories a cup with nothing in it. I don't even log it.

Try a lot of different flavors. I prefer dark roast. Perhaps you like a lighter roast or it might be that Italian roast blend that you prefer. My current favorite is the Gold Coast blend from Starbucks. It's close to $14 a bag but that lasts me for 2 - 3 weeks.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm also a chronic coffee hater... I just chug it black and room temp.

If you want it to taste good maybe add some coffee grounds to baked goods or shakes?
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Some coffee brands taste better than others. Like Folgers is absolutely disgusting. I like Gevalia and McCafe. Try a better tasting creamer that's sugar free, they really aren't too bad.

I like to use french vanilla creamer and a few Splenda. But just like you, sometimes I can't get over the taste. Honestly I'll always be a zero-cal energy drink type of girl

Lately, I've been on a Zero calorie/1 carb AMP (blueberry and watermelon) or zero calorie/zerocarb rockstar every morning. Still cheaper than getting a small skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks. :smile:
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I use trader joes vanilla soy creamer two tbsp are about 30 calories I think.

You could try one spoonful of sugar and one spoonful of creamer.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    If you don't like coffee, don't drink coffee. :) I hate coffee...you couldn't pay me to drink it.

If I need a pick me up, I'll drink hot tea, coke zero, or an absolute zero monster (if it's a really bad day).
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just use some semi skimmed milk and a tsp of sugar. Comes to something like 40 calories a cup which I can usually fit in.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have only been a coffee drinker for the last 3-4 years. I started with a couple of packets of sweetener (Sweet & Low is my preference) plus a tbs of flavored creamer and a tbs of skim milk. The milk mellows the coffee without adding a bunch of calories.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    What about a sugar free or fat free international delight type of creamer? They're 20-30 calories per 15ml.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I can't stand coffee. I drink black tea when I need caffeine in the morning.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink it?

I take one-a-day energy (or active metabolism) vitamins. They contain as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. Except you don't have to drink the coffee.
  • Solimay
    Solimay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heavy Whipping Cream as a coffee creamer has 0 carbs and add a little cinnamon and it gives a sweet flavor.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The first step would be to try some quality coffee...not Folgers or whatever. Try some top shelf coffee. Also, different roasts are going to give you different flavors. A dark French roast for example is going to be very powerful...my wife prefers a dark roast so I have to cut that with a little 1%...or some half and half if it happens to be in the house. I personally prefer a medium roast...I'm going to Colombia in May and we have a coffee tour scheduled; I can't wait.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Why are you drinking coffee if you hate it so much? If it's for the caffeine hit, hells bells, you can get caffeine from tastier sources.

I hate coffee the drink, but I do eat chocolate covered coffee beans every day.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm with @cwolfman13 coffee is beautiful and diverse. Try different types. I like stronger brews like French Roast. If you find you don't like it, why bother? There are so many other caffeine options like tea and energy drinks.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    LORIMCX wrote: »
    Drink Tea

I totally agree. Don't drink something you don't like the taste of! I'd suggest a nice spicy Chai...give that a try you may like that :)
  • Solimay
    Solimay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Matcha Tea also has caffeine if you are needing a pick me up drink and its a great change from coffee....although I would never give up my coffee