April 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ChrissalmonPT
    ChrissalmonPT Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    4 mile run today, 18miles so far for April.
  • lillymacki55
    lillymacki55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Running to beat my March total of 127.71:

04/01 3.36
    04/02 8.26
    04/03 8.38
    04/04 4.82
    04/05 5.07
    04/06 3.51

Total 33.4
    GOAL = > 127.71

exercise.png

• MrsKGrady
    MrsKGrady Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm back in for 50.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I vowed that when I finally got through the rough patch, I was going to make it my mission to show Crohn's disease who's boss and I was going to qualify for the Boston Marathon. I used that as my motivation for the next year and a half and finally achieved my goal in October of 2015 in Columbus with a time of 3:38:26, giving my a 16+ minute cushion for the 2017 Boston Marathon.

. . .

One thing I did want to mention is that I believe that all of those years of slow, easy running were critical in getting me where I am today. Matt Fitgerald says that over time, your body will adapt to a more efficient running form. A lot has been said about the values of having a high cadence. I never measured my cadence until 2 or so years ago. But when I first measured it, it was in the 184-188 range consistently. Currently, all of my runs are in the 190s. Even though I am very short, which probably makes for a naturally high cadence, I doubt that if I had measured my cadence all those years ago, that the numbers would be that high. It's not something I ever practiced or intended for, but something that I believed developed over time. I guess my point is, that even though we all want to be super fast, like yesterday, for some of us, the slow road to speed is the best one.

@lporter229 - Congratulations on the BQ! I seriously doubt there will be a 16 minute cutoff, so you should be good to go assuming only that you stay healthy enough to run Boston 2017. Maybe I'll see you there, assuming I stay healthy enough to run Boston 2016 and and Boston 2017.

I don't doubt that the years of running increased your cadence. I've never been able to think about my cadence while running, but the typical cadence as measured by my Garmin has increased from low 170s to high 170s for easy runs with all the miles I've run this training cycle. It's faster when I run faster; the theory of keeping your cadence the same and altering your stride length to regulate speed has never worked well for me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Yes, you and I are pretty close. Probably an hour or two drive.

Oooh, you know a few of us are doing the Jenks half in November... If your interested in joining us..... :sweat_smile:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @ceciliaslater Yes, you and I are pretty close. Probably an hour or two drive.

Oooh, you know a few of us are doing the Jenks half in November... If your interested in joining us..... :sweat_smile:

LOL I do wish I could come out of my shell but racing and crowds are just not for me at this time :-/ Maybe one day :)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - The Jenks Half hardly qualifies as a crowd. There were only about 300 people total last year. I ran a 2:10:54 race and literally could not see a single person in front of or behind me for the last half of the race! Very chill experience, so it might be a good one to start with. No pressure (nudge, nudge--come on--nudge, nudge). You've got til November to psych yourself up for it. LOL
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree - The Jenks Half hardly qualifies as a crowd. There were only about 300 people total last year. I ran a 2:10:54 race and literally could not see a single person in front of or behind me for the last half of the race! Very chill experience, so it might be a good one to start with. No pressure (nudge, nudge--come on--nudge, nudge). You've got til November to psych yourself up for it. LOL

Aaaaaaahhhh, but I've never even ran with a single other person. LOL Okay, there was that time back in 2003 when I took up running with a boyfriend... Maybe maybe, BIG MAYBE I'll talk myself into this one day.

I think about 1600 people ran the HM here last weekend.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

I've only run one race where I couldn't see runners ahead of me for any substantial distance. That was a 15K with I think 83 total finishers, and the road marshals saved me from missing turns or taking wrong turns a couple of times. There were markings, but it was hard to see blue arrows on wet pavement. I suppose I could have seen people behind me if I'd turned around; but I took Satchel Paige's classic advice to heart.

The following year the field expanded to 85, and I was fast enough to see people ahead of me for substantially the entire route. And it was easier to see the blue arrows on dry pavement. And I knew the route better, having seen it the year before. But I still appreciated having road marshals.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Was it in February that were were talking about geese? Look who I met on my run today:
    h8l62bfhi7ef.jpg

I was feeling a little sluggish until I came across them (I killed my legs earlier today cycling around on a flat tyre...). When I stopped to take that photo, they started making noise and coming after me - quite a good incentive to start picking up the pace :)

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Ah yes this explains a lot. Probably some dinosoaurs genes still prowling inside geese. Just look at the resemblance

200209-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-009.jpg
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @AdrianChr92 Lol, now that you mention it, there was definitely a resemblance!
    I might have even spotted rows of jagged teeth inside their beaks as they were coming after me f_monster.gif
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Good reminder, @_nikkiwolf_ It's goose nesting season now. You will notice that they are no longer hanging out in flocks but rather in pairs. They will hang out near the nest to protect it, so be especially leery for the next month or so!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    cl2nrsY.png

Even their tongue has teeth
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift Nice job on the daily double! You all doing that are really making me consider doing similar, but at shorter mileages, when I get into the bigger training weeks this summer.

Honestly for most people, doubles aren't really necessary. That's why there's only a handful (3? 4?) out of the dozens on the thread who do them. Personally, I only do them so that I can take two full rest days and still manage 60 miles per week without having to do two 15-16 mile runs in the middle of the week, back to back on Wed & Thurs. Your training needs would mostly likely be better served by doing the miles all at once rather than breaking them up because that will better prime your legs for the fall HM.

Exactly, If you are breaking your mileage into two you actually need to add time for equivalent effort to induce endurance adaptations. There is even an equation - but since I don't do it, I don't have it in mind. 30%? more of the remaining???

Plus, by doing doubles too early you are actually hurting the period of recovery. 20 minutes in and you slow significantly protein synthesis.

It doesn't mean there isn't a place for doubles, but if you are going to do that, first increase the number of running days (while reducing miles per run), then increase mileage, then doubles. If you are only running 3-4 times a week doubles rarely make sense if it isn't a scheduling thing.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you want to get a personal idea of fitness, fatigue and performance curves try https://sporttracks.mobi. You can upload your Garmin runs and it will calculate the curves seen in those videos:

fczd0ycylev0.png

My curves - you can see how tapers work - reducing training improves performance, while fitness reduces slowly (and fatigue a little faster).
    Thanks @EvgeniZyntx! I was not familiar with this app and am now checking it out. Very interesting indeed!

The other two tools that provide similar analytics are TrainingPeaks and GoldenCheetah - both more oriented towards cycling.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Rest day and the taper continues... Also put in my registration for the Vegas Marathon on Nov 13. I put 3:20 in case I'm not in BQ (3:05) condition come race day. Thinking of running Sage Canaday's 16wk BQ plan. Peaks at 65-75mi/wk. Should be a blast!

4/1 - Easy 10.1mi @ 8:25/mi
    4/2 - rest.
    4/3 - 1mi fun hike for views of SLC. 400ft vertical.
    4/4 - Snowboard 41.8mi 30,000ft, descent (not counted on April total), 55.8mph top speed.
    4/5 - 7.3mi mountain (steep) run. About 2,000ft vertical, 14:31/avg. Medium effort.
    4/6 - Rest

April total - 18.4/153mi
  • fitntoned001
    fitntoned001 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    4/1- 1.1 km rest day
    4/2 - 1.4 km rest
    4/3 - 3,9 km
    4/4 - 6.6 km
    4/5 - 6.2 km
    4/5 - 5.8 km
    exercise.png

• samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    First outdoor run in 5 weeks today, post pneumonia. A very gentle 1.7k. Felt OKish but that was definitely far enough for the first one and just a slow one. I'm lucky to have a great running partner looking out for me, and happy to go slow for a bit. I won't clock major miles this month but felt good to be back out there.
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    1/4....5k
    3/4....6k
    4/4....3k
    6/4....6k

Running Thoughts:
    Started out slowly and got slower. But felt fine all the way through.

goals
    1. 18 runs.............................4
    2. 115km total......................20k
    3. 4 runs a week.................Done
    4. quickest 5km of 2016
    5. quickest 10km of 2016
    6. 11 km long run