I'm frustrated and about to give up.

Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Don't fight your temptation or instincts head on. Use psychology, visualization, mind training to your advantage. You can retrain yourself to literally be disgusted by ice cream or any foods. It's just a matter of you wanting to do the work or not.
  • 24karatwoman
    24karatwoman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Once a week, give yourself a SMALL treat for the hard work but you have to go back to working out!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I can't get passed the statement, "So I gave up on working out until I get my eating under control". This makes absolutely no sense! ...and I apologize if it fuels my response. Exercise is necessary for your health & well being despite your indulgences! As for you ~ you are in control of what you put in your mouth. As for the ice cream, try to pre-portion a serving or don't buy it if you are not gonna have restraint over eating a huge bowl so often you are concerned it's a problem. Instead, focus on completing your food diary daily & honestly and if it fits it~enjoy some. As for your statement to give up~ Giving up will get you where? You have to want to make a change in your habits. No one is going to do this for you. For some sugar breeds sugar and they can't stop. If so, I would avoid it and substitute it for other healthy items.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Don't fight your temptation or instincts head on. Use psychology, visualization, mind training to your advantage. You can retrain yourself to literally be disgusted by ice cream or any foods. It's just a matter of you wanting to do the work or not.

That sounds healthy.

Chris-Rock-HUH-WTF.gif
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Eating ice cream is awesome and fun and stress relieving, so it makes sense that you want to do that when you get home. As a recovering binge eater myself, I've learned the idea of not being overweight has to be more enjoyable than the ice cream. Ultimately you're making a choice between getting to indulge in ice cream with no restrictions or being healthier. You have to decide which one means more to you. If weight loss does, try to keep ice cream out of the house if possible. To satisfy your sweet tooth, you can make banana ice cream at home or have tiny chocolates in the house to have a few of before bed.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Yes, it comes to choices and controlling yourself. Basically you have to want to lose weight more than you want ice cream... there's no "magic " solution!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Baby43204 wrote: »
    I seem to not be handling my sweet tooth well. I do ok while I am at work but then when I get home I can't control it. So I gave up on working out until I get my eating under control. Do anyone have any advice cause I love big bowls of ice cream.

Quit buying ice cream.

I can't control myself with Cheetos and such, so I don't buy them. If I do, it's a single serving bag. Set yourself up for success by either buying smaller portions of ice cream, or keeping it out of the house entirely.
  • Acacia_Evers
    Acacia_Evers Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes, it comes to choices and controlling yourself. Basically you have to want to lose weight more than you want ice cream... there's no "magic " solution!

This right here. This right here is the determining factor for those who are successful. You can want to lose weight but you have to have the absolute WANT to lose it. Can't help yourself at home? Then throw it all out. Get rid of all the junk food until you can teach yourself to eat in moderation and enjoy your treats as long as it fits in your calorie goal. If you're struggling to do that right now, then get rid of all of it. No sweets, no temptation. As you gain more self control, enjoy some sweets, but make sure they fit within goal.
  • uglycrying
    uglycrying Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you tried frozen yogurt? It's healthier and lower calorie than ice cream. Personally I have become so accustomed to frozen yogurt that I prefer it over ice cream now, and ice cream tastes way too rich to me.

I try to eat fairly balanced and controlled during the week, then indulge a little on the weekend. Knowing that I have the opportunity to indulge cravings later in the week keeps me motivated and on track during the week. For a time, I indulged my sweet tooth by having a few miniature sized chocolates; those were easy to fit into my calorie allotment. Try buying smaller sizes of things you like. There are also plenty of lighter recipes available for sweet stuff, for example at skinnytaste.com. I'd suggest trying to find healthier or lighter alternatives to stuff you crave so that it still scratches the itch but doesn't cost all of your calories. I agree with others that you should keep working out. Every effort counts, and perhaps over time the disappointment of having eaten back all your calories from exercise via ice cream will deter you from doing so in the future. That's how it works for me, most of the time. Healthy habits tend to build on and reinforce other healthy habits. Hang in there and keep trying-- it's a process.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Halo Top has pints for less than 300 calories. They are kinda expensive since I eat the whole $6 pint at once, so I don't have them often (although, more often now that I've discovered the birthday cake flavor). But, I can easily fit a whole pint into my day and still stick to my goal.

Or, have ice cream but just a smaller bowl.

I agree with others that it really is a mental thing you need to control. You have to be able to say no to your cravings and all of your wants. I keep sweets and all other high calorie foods in the house, because my husband likes that kind of stuff. And, he doesn't have as big of a sweet tooth, so a box of cookies will last him the whole month or two, while I could kill those cookies in 2 days. It is all mental. You have to want to lose weight. There will be temptation EVERYWHERE. For the rest of your life. You just have to learn to make the choice to say no if you can't fit certain calories into your day.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I eat my ice cream from a tiny salsa bowl - essentially, it's a ramekin. It's my reward at the end of the day for sticking to my calories.

Also, I find that exercise helps me eat less, reduces cravings, and helps me stick with the food plan.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love ice cream. I bought an ice cream scoop. I usually get the low fat kind that's 100 or 120 calories a half cup so I feel ok eating a whole cup. Also, I have taken to buying Hershey's chocolate sauce that's 50 calories a TB, and I usually have two TB, so my entire snack is 400 calories.

Also, there is a saying: Every time you fail, you're one step closer to success
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    After watching a couple episodes of "My 600 pound Life" I decided not to go there. Seeing someone trapped in a stinky couch, having 4 boxes of pizza and a giant family-sized brownie delivered for themselves keeps me mindful of portion control.

If you truly cannot stop yourself at a small bowl of ice cream then you best not have any. I have had those little 6 oz cups of the good stuff and can stop there. One cup, one serving, done.

"So I gave up on working out until I get my eating under control." I don't understand any logic to this at all. First off, you can do both, they are not mutually exclusive. Actually baby steps in both departments is the way to go. A second question is, "What do you define as getting your eating under control?" You are always controlling your own eating unless you're in a coma being fed by a tube. You are choosing to eat big bowls of ice cream. You obviously love big bowls more than you love better health.

Now, I can totally understand wanting to reward yourself after a day of work. I had a bad habit of hitting the drive-thru on the way home from my 12 hour shift at 10:30 at night. At first I had to consciously stay in the right lane so I wouldn't automatically make a left into McD. And I allowed myself a treat when I get home. Been three months since I've eaten anything but a breakfast sandwich at any fast food joint. My thinking is "I just don't do that anymore". Now I don't want to mess up my streak.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I have to portion out and hide my sweets because by the time I get a real craving to eat them, the kids have eaten ALL of them! If my kids find stashed sweets they know "that's mom's" don't touch! HAHAHAHA!
    I still have Oreos hidden somewhere... it's been a while though so I'm not sure how good they are now!
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If you freeze bananas and then put them in the food processor with some peanut butter, it tastes just like ice cream but healthier. Or consider frozen yogurt, at least it is less calories.

You don't have to quit having things you love to win at this. You may just need to change the amount you have.

• DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I love ice cream. I bought an ice cream scoop. I usually get the low fat kind that's 100 or 120 calories a half cup so I feel ok eating a whole cup. Also, I have taken to buying Hershey's chocolate sauce that's 50 calories a TB, and I usually have two TB, so my entire snack is 400 calories.

Also, there is a saying: Every time you fail, you're one step closer to success

Have you tried the "light" or "Sugar Free" versions...
    They're less calories.
    I don't remember what the light is... but the sugar free is 15 calories a serving (serving = 2TBS)
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    cdgross81 wrote: »
    If you freeze bananas and then put them in the food processor with some peanut butter, it tastes just like ice cream but healthier. Or consider frozen yogurt, at least it is less calories.

You don't have to quit having things you love to win at this. You may just need to change the amount you have.

I do this but w/out PB and it tastes great! w/ PB would probably be "The Greatest Thing EVER"... thanks for mentioning it cuz I'm going to try it now! Yeah for new YUMMY ideas!
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Baby43204 wrote: »
    I seem to not be handling my sweet tooth well. I do ok while I am at work but then when I get home I can't control it. So I gave up on working out until I get my eating under control. Do anyone have any advice cause I love big bowls of ice cream.

Quit buying ice cream.

I can't control myself with Cheetos and such, so I don't buy them. If I do, it's a single serving bag. Set yourself up for success by either buying smaller portions of ice cream, or keeping it out of the house entirely.

I'm eating Cheetos right now. They're baked, but still delicious!
  • AmyMahan2016
    AmyMahan2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm am totally weird. The sweets if I have then in the house I'm good knowing that if I want it it's right there I can eat just one serving and be okay. But if I have to go to store to buy it I'll buy the bigger package cause its cheaper and then I'll over indulge.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I eat my ice cream from a tiny salsa bowl - essentially, it's a ramekin. It's my reward at the end of the day for sticking to my calories.

This is actually a great tip! When I started weighing my food, I started using a smaller bowl because the serving sizes were pretty small, and now that seems generous to me. If I was putting it in a big bowl, I'd probably feel really deprived