Alternating Cardio and Strength Training

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I love a recomp. I've done it for a while now.

I know that I am not out much in the winter but when people see me in the spring I am asked "how much more weight have you lost"...according to the scale 0 or I've gained a few lbs.

nothing more satisfying.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'd leave HIIT to once a week in the beginning and use steady state the other two days. HIIT will require recovery similar to lifting. I think steady state cardio has gotten a very bad rep on lifting boards, but the heart benefits are pretty clear. You're also not going to have problems building muscle if all you're running are 5Ks and below.

He's likely severely under eating though as well.

It looks like he has another thread on calories? I'm not going to go looking for it to try and convince someone who won't listen to reason. I will say the following:

OP - cut slowly, lift 3-4 days a week, eat plenty of protein but don't cut carbs too severely either (you need the energy to get through workouts) and don't fall for the HIIT hype. Use it, but do steady state because your heart is the most important muscle you have. Think protein for that reason too.

So, don't cut more than by 500 calories a day. Eat at least 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Get 0.3-.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill with quality carbs. By way of comparison I'm a 205ish pound man and I'm currently cutting by 250 calories a day. I figure I'll hit 188-190 by early autumn. It works.

I totally agree, if he is determined to cut.
    I think he needs to try some macro calculators so he gets an idea of how much he actually needs, and start with a gradual decrease. (Don't quote me but I believe he is about 20 years old, 5'8", 145 lbs and plans to eat 1500 calories and 100g protein.) I only remember because I tried plugging him into iifym to see whereabouts he should be eating.
    Apples to oranges, but there are tiny women who eat more than that for weightloss.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'd leave HIIT to once a week in the beginning and use steady state the other two days. HIIT will require recovery similar to lifting. I think steady state cardio has gotten a very bad rep on lifting boards, but the heart benefits are pretty clear. You're also not going to have problems building muscle if all you're running are 5Ks and below.

It looks like he has another thread on calories? I'm not going to go looking for it to try and convince someone who won't listen to reason. I will say the following:

OP - cut slowly, lift 3-4 days a week, eat plenty of protein but don't cut carbs too severely either (you need the energy to get through workouts) and don't fall for the HIIT hype. Use it, but do steady state because your heart is the most important muscle you have. Think protein for that reason too.

So, don't cut more than by 500 calories a day. Eat at least 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Get 0.3-.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight, and fill with quality carbs. By way of comparison I'm a 205ish pound man and I'm currently cutting by 250 calories a day. I figure I'll hit 188-190 by early autumn. It works.

I think he needs to try some macro calculators so he gets an idea of how much he actually needs, and start with a gradual decrease. (Don't quote me but I believe he is about 20 years old, 5'8", 145 lbs and plans to eat 1500 calories and 100g protein.) I only remember because I tried plugging him into iifym to see whereabouts he should be eating.
    Apples to oranges, but there are tiny women who eat more than that for weightloss.

He's trying to lose weight?!!!

OP - Dude, you're 20. You have a ton of T raging through your body. Eat at a very slight calorie surplus and lift 5 days a week.

Edit: kitten typos
  • not_a_runner
    Options

OP - Dude, you're 20. You have a ton of T raging through your body. Lift at a very slight calorie surplus and lift 5 days a week.

I knooooow!!
    But he is too concerned with going over 15% body fat.
    He could easily lower body fat while gaining muscle if he would get his ducks in a row here...
  • SezxyStef
    Options

OP - Dude, you're 20. You have a ton of T raging through your body. Lift at a very slight calorie surplus and lift 5 days a week.

I knooooow!!
    But he is too concerned with going over 15% body fat.
    He could easily lower body fat while gaining muscle if he would get his ducks in a row here...

20 YO have read the book "OF ALL"...didn't you know that...remember 20 when you knew it all too?

beating a dead horse.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Is a cut always used after a bulk? Because I have seen many times recommended on bodybuilding forums that people who are low on muscle with 15% body fat or higher and are new to lifting, they sometimes recommend you cut down to a lean level. When they say "cut" though, that means they are lifting while they are in a deficit right?

It doesn't have to be used after a bulk you could start with a cut then bulk or cut then go to maintenance, but the term cut comes from a cut and bulk cycle.

Yes during a cut you have a deficit and lift heavy but I would say what a cut means is "maintaining muscle while losing fat" (how you do that is heavy lifting on a SMALL deficit and it's a slow process). Also body building sites are great but take them with a grain of salt, there is also a lot of mis-information.

I mean think about your end goal, lose fat gain muscle. A recomp does exactly that. Recomps are most effective on new lifters which you are. So why not take advantage? Find a structured premade lifting program that utilizes compound lifts, and eat 100-200 calories under maitainence.

The reason why body builders do cut and bulk cycles instead of recomps is because their muscles have already been exposed to large amounts of lifting so a recomp isn't possible. So you can do cut and bulk instead of a recomp but you need to realize it is a slow process.

Also you may have a little bit of fat but I think you're already pretty damn lean.... at 5'8" and only 154 pounds I can't imagine you have much fat.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    @anthony150paolucci

You are going to get all differing opinions here. I think you are going to get very overwhelmed, possibly confused as well. The program I told you about and the book, he is a trained, very well known person. It's basic and easy to follow. It will have you eating enough calories and getting to your goal. Please give it a read at least. God knows there are enough testimonials for this program and you can still track on here.
  • knoxjkk
    knoxjkk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do something similar and I have a lot of weight to lose. I do it just because it works for me schedule wise and I enjoy it. I do a full body work out every other day, 3x week, with HIIT on the in between days, but I also do 20-30 min steady state cardio after my strength training.

• SezxyStef
    Options
    @anthony150paolucci

You are going to get all differing opinions here. I think you are going to get very overwhelmed, possibly confused as well. The program I told you about and the book, he is a trained, very well known person. It's basic and easy to follow. It will have you eating enough calories and getting to your goal. Please give it a read at least. God knows there are enough testimonials for this program and you can still track on here.

@melissa6771 not exactly the right program to point a new lifter too...if a book is required it's complicated.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a good starter program...no book necessary just the app and fundamental knowledge of how to youtube to watch how the lifts are done
  • melissa6771
    Options
    @SezxyStef

Quite the assumption that because it's in a book it's complicated. Do you know the program? Have you done it? Do you know that it's not good for a beginner? Because it is just that. It's extremely simple and easy to follow, I know this for a fact because I have followed it, and know many who have. I'm sure he could just look it up online, like I said, a lot of it is online at bodybuilding.com under back to fit, also at BFL.com, but the original book, before everything was online, is very inspirational. It can't hurt to read it on paper and online. Books are not evil.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @SezxyStef

Quite the assumption that because it's in a book it's complicated. Do you know the program? Have you done it? Do you know that it's not good for a beginner? Because it is just that. It's extremely simple and easy to follow, I know this for a fact because I have followed it, and know many who have. I'm sure he could just look it up online, like I said, a lot of it is online at bodybuilding.com under back to fit, also at BFL.com, but the original book, before everything was online, is very inspirational. It can't hurt to read it on paper and online. Books are not evil.

I have the book (the original) at home (along with tonnes of other books that I have read)and after lifting for 3 years thought I would go through it and see (it was my husbands) and no way would I take that on.

different strokes for different folks.

But the OP wants 30mins of lifting...the routine(s) in that book are not 30mins.

So yes I am speaking from experience, not "assumptions" like you did.

• not_a_runner
    Options
    I just looked up the program template and I don't like it for a beginner either. Actually I wouldn't like it for myself at any point.
    Personally if I try to do upper/lowers I am at the gym for ever on the upper days. It's just too much for a beginner to try to grasp all those muscle groups and movements in one session.
    Plus not a fan of the way they vary the weight.
    3x12, 5x5. One weight. Increase when you complete all reps. Easy.
  • anthony150paolucci
    anthony150paolucci Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Is a cut always used after a bulk? Because I have seen many times recommended on bodybuilding forums that people who are low on muscle with 15% body fat or higher and are new to lifting, they sometimes recommend you cut down to a lean level. When they say "cut" though, that means they are lifting while they are in a deficit right?

It doesn't have to be used after a bulk you could start with a cut then bulk or cut then go to maintenance, but the term cut comes from a cut and bulk cycle.

Yes during a cut you have a deficit and lift heavy but I would say what a cut means is "maintaining muscle while losing fat" (how you do that is heavy lifting on a SMALL deficit and it's a slow process). Also body building sites are great but take them with a grain of salt, there is also a lot of mis-information.

I mean think about your end goal, lose fat gain muscle. A recomp does exactly that. Recomps are most effective on new lifters which you are. So why not take advantage? Find a structured premade lifting program that utilizes compound lifts, and eat 100-200 calories under maitainence.

The reason why body builders do cut and bulk cycles instead of recomps is because their muscles have already been exposed to large amounts of lifting so a recomp isn't possible. So you can do cut and bulk instead of a recomp but you need to realize it is a slow process.

Also you may have a little bit of fat but I think you're already pretty damn lean.... at 5'8" and only 154 pounds I can't imagine you have much fat.

You know, I have been thinking about my goal and really I don't know even know if I want to build muscle right now. I just want to get rid of the excess fat I have now (even if it seems I don't have extra fat based on my stats). Your right, I don't have much fat left, but I really just want to get rid of it right now. So I want to put muscle building on a hold for now and focus on fat loss.

So yeah, I want to simplify my goal now and focus on fat loss. Do you think cutting is the best method for me now?
  • melissa6771
    Options

@SezxyStef

It is one of the simplest programs. I've been lifting for the better part of 18 years, and those are the most basic moves for each body part. Those lifting routines take about 30-35 min for lower and 45 for upper. You can use the same weight for all three sets. I don't see how anyone could be intimidated by the basics, especially after being at it for 3 years, but you're right, to each their own. Also, in your first quote to me, you said "if it's in a book, it's complicated" that does not seem that you've ever actually done the routine.

It seems OP isn't sure what he's looking for. That's something that needs to be decided first, then he needs to pick a program that HE feels comfortable with, doesn't matter what any of us think.
    I just looked up the program template and I don't like it for a beginner either. Actually I wouldn't like it for myself at any point.
    Personally if I try to do upper/lowers I am at the gym for ever on the upper days. It's just too much for a beginner to try to grasp all those muscle groups and movements in one session.

Don't not like things until you try them. It's a very proven and effective routine, by a person that's been in the industry for many years and still is, that millions have done very well with.

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options

You know, I have been thinking about my goal and really I don't know even know if I want to build muscle right now. I just want to get rid of the excess fat I have now (even if it seems I don't have extra fat based on my stats). Your right, I don't have much fat left, but I really just want to get rid of it right now. So I want to put muscle building on a hold for now and focus on fat loss.

So yeah, I want to simplify my goal now and focus on fat loss. Do you think cutting is the best method for me now?

Okay that's good to establish because if you did want to build muscle you would do a recomp.

Yes I thinking "cutting" would still serve you well. But keep in mind a cut is a slow process. At your weight I would only try to lose .5 pounds or at most 1 pound per week and still try to preserve muscle. That way you're not just skin and bones.

Also, make sure you're maintaining a healthy weight, to me it seems like at such a low weight and wanting to lose more could be a red flag, but I don't know you, I'm just saying stay healthy.

And I'm not sure what look your going for but looking toned also involves building up some muscle. If you don't maintain muscle you'll only look skinny and even if you maintain muscle you still might not look "toned".
  • anthony150paolucci
    edited April 2016
    Options

Okay that's good to establish because if you did want to build muscle you would do a recomp.

Yes I thinking "cutting" would still serve you well. But keep in mind a cut is a slow process. At your weight I would only try to lose .5 pounds or at most 1 pound per week and still try to preserve muscle. That way you're not just skin and bones.

Also, make sure you're maintaining a healthy weight, to me it seems like at such a low weight and wanting to lose more could be a red flag, but I don't know you, I'm just saying stay healthy.

And I'm not sure what look your going for but looking toned also involves building up some muscle. If you don't maintain muscle you'll only look skinny and even if you maintain muscle you still might not look "toned".

I'm glad I'm finally able to come to a conclusion as of what I really want. Maybe building muscle in the future sounds good, but you have to look at the present first and right now, right here, I want to lose fat. Which is what I plan to do.

Yeah, don't worry. I won't get to the point where I am underweight. My body will let me know when I'm losing too much I'm sure.

As far as the look I'm going for, I am still going to make sure I do strength training 3x a week and eat enough protein so I don't lose too much muscle. If I end up looking skinny then for sure I will look to get toned afterwards.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

@SezxyStef

It is one of the simplest programs. I've been lifting for the better part of 18 years, and those are the most basic moves for each body part. Those lifting routines take about 30-35 min for lower and 45 for upper. You can use the same weight for all three sets. I don't see how anyone could be intimidated by the basics, especially after being at it for 3 years, but you're right, to each their own. Also, in your first quote to me, you said "if it's in a book, it's complicated" that does not seem that you've ever actually done the routine.

It seems OP isn't sure what he's looking for. That's something that needs to be decided first, then he needs to pick a program that HE feels comfortable with, doesn't matter what any of us think.

Don't not like things until you try them. It's a very proven and effective routine, by a person that's been in the industry for many years and still is, that millions have done very well with.

I checked some comments and posts on Google, so this could be off, but it appears he wants people to cut out white rice, full fat dairy, and any simple carbs. It hits me as a bro diet and a bodybuilding program. The diet seems unnecessarily strict but the program is fine. On the other hand, 5x5s are beginning strength programs so people could argue this all day. Different goals here.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    All this just to realize he only cares about obtaining an ultra low body fat.... I guess we are done here.
  • anthony150paolucci
    Options
    All this just to realize he only cares about obtaining an ultra low body fat.... I guess we are done here.

Yeah, I guess I should have thought more clearly about my goal in the first post. At least I have finally come to a conclusion.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Yeah, I guess I should have thought more clearly about my goal in the first post. At least I have finally come to a conclusion.

You gotta do what works for you