How much sugar is TOO much sugar?

Options

Replies

• no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I cut out fruits and I eat a crap ton of vegetables a day and I'm getting less than 25 grams a day which is what authoritynutrition says a woman should eat in a day. I used to be an apple a day girl until I started the LCHF way of eating. Now, I have no need for them. Do I allow raspberries from time to time? yes. But, only has a dessert or for substance in a protein smooth. But, if you're healthy and not diabetic, you may not need to cut them out. I just have more energy without that natural sugars that fruit has.

What's wrong with fruit??

I didn't say anything was wrong with fruit, I just said I don't need it in my diet anymore. I cut most sources of carbs on my way of eating just because I don't find them necessary. I don't need the sugar from fruit because it doesn't do my body any good to eat them. There's nothing wrong with them. I just would rather get my calories from something more satiating and I get my fiber from my non-starchy vegetables (spinach/broccoli etc).
  • laurenpjokl
    laurenpjokl Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd only be concerned if you're regularly feeling hungry. At that point, it might be a good idea to choose fruit snacks with less sugar and more fibre, or even with veg.

You should be careful with smoothies, juices, and dried fruits, if you eat those. They're quite calorie dense.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Depends a lot on a persons TDEE and activity/exercise regimen in my opinion.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I would think a max of 30g per day, but I personally try to keep it at 25 or less.
    The question you might ask is, is there a loss of bodyfat? Especially around your belly.
    If you have a glucometer to test your blood sugar at home, that will also tell you if your blood glucose is at an acceptable level.

You can limit fruit (lowering your carb macro), and instead increase your protein and fat macros. My own diet is 45-50% fat, and protein goal is 115g (protein grams the same number as my Lean Body Mass which is 115 lbs) and I lost weight very efficiently. If your veggies are non-starchy, the sugars from source will be minimal. Yay for veggies!!

Do you track fiber? Soluble fiber slows the entrance of sugar into your system, so whatever sugars you do eat, fiber will help to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Track fiber and increase it slowly to 35g or more!

Why would someone who doesn't have diabetes be testing their blood sugar?

OP, I only pay attention to added sugar, as others have said. I don't think twice about sugar from fruits and vegetables.

Because some people don't want to wait for diabetes to change their eating habits.

If you have blood work done at your annual physical with normal results I can't imagine why you would need to be so hyper active about it. That seems obsessive to me. Why would you be looking for a problem you don't have?
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I cut out fruits and I eat a crap ton of vegetables a day and I'm getting less than 25 grams a day which is what authoritynutrition says a woman should eat in a day. I used to be an apple a day girl until I started the LCHF way of eating. Now, I have no need for them. Do I allow raspberries from time to time? yes. But, only has a dessert or for substance in a protein smooth. But, if you're healthy and not diabetic, you may not need to cut them out. I just have more energy without that natural sugars that fruit has.

What's wrong with fruit??

I didn't say anything was wrong with fruit, I just said I don't need it in my diet anymore. I cut most sources of carbs on my way of eating just because I don't find them necessary. I don't need the sugar from fruit because it doesn't do my body any good to eat them. There's nothing wrong with them. I just would rather get my calories from something more satiating and I get my fiber from my non-starchy vegetables (spinach/broccoli etc).

maaaaybe not the sugar.. but besides fiber like you stated there are lots of wonderful things like different micros from veggies and antioxidants and the fact they taste good.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I would think a max of 30g per day, but I personally try to keep it at 25 or less.
    The question you might ask is, is there a loss of bodyfat? Especially around your belly.
    If you have a glucometer to test your blood sugar at home, that will also tell you if your blood glucose is at an acceptable level.

You can limit fruit (lowering your carb macro), and instead increase your protein and fat macros. My own diet is 45-50% fat, and protein goal is 115g (protein grams the same number as my Lean Body Mass which is 115 lbs) and I lost weight very efficiently. If your veggies are non-starchy, the sugars from source will be minimal. Yay for veggies!!

Do you track fiber? Soluble fiber slows the entrance of sugar into your system, so whatever sugars you do eat, fiber will help to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Track fiber and increase it slowly to 35g or more!

OP, I only pay attention to added sugar, as others have said. I don't think twice about sugar from fruits and vegetables.

Because some people don't want to wait for diabetes to change their eating habits.

If you have blood work done at your annual physical with normal results I can't imagine why you would need to be so hyper active about it. That seems obsessive to me. Why would you be looking for a problem you don't have?

Why would you not want to avoid it before it happens? Do you know what diabetes can do to you? My mom has had it and has had 3 strokes and high blood pressure. I do not want to get it, so why wouldn't I be mindful of my sugar and carb intake to prevent getting this? It's not being obsessive, it's being proactive. IF I do get diabetes, it won't be because I didn't try hard not to get it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Sugar is not a macro I pay any attention to. I can tell you that having switched the lion's share of my sugar to stevia based sweeteners, I have lost a lot of weight and my dental health has massively improved. But I did that for the sake of the calorie savings, not because I hate sugar or something. Because glazed chocolate cake donuts are awesome.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    According to the American Heart Association, 25 grams of sugar is the recommended limit . Fruit and veggies have sugar yes, but they also contains fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. I wouldn't worry too much about sugar from fruits/vegetables. Try and stay away more from processed sugar.

Is that from all sources?

Many people on here deride it, but the new USDA guidelines recommend limiting added sugars to less than 10% of calories, but I'm not aware of any guidelines about natural sugars. Personally, I don't worry about it.

No, it's only added sugar. I've never seen anything credible (authority nutrition, of course, is the definition of not credible) that suggests that ALL sugar should be so low.

Personally, I've found that if you don't have a very low calorie limit it's not an issue (MFP sets it at 15% of calories for ALL sugars), but I simply look at the source of my sugars and if from fruit, veg, and dairy (not flavoring in dairy), I don't care. I've been known to hit around 50 g just from non starchy veg on a high day, and obviously it would be silly to decide from a rather arbitrary MFP limit that that's excessive sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    So what I want to know is... how much sugar is too much sugar??

It might be helpful to know that some countries have a sugar limit of 90g total from all sources. I don't know how they reached that number but you can use it to get an idea of where you stand.

I looked this up once, I think it was the UK or maybe Australia, and the reasoning given was that it was the added sugar limit plus an estimate of what people were expected to eat from fruit, veg, and dairy (which of course varies quite a lot). Nothing was stated to suggest that exceeding this number due to more than typical fruit and veg or dairy was a problem, they just wanted a total sugar number (kind of like MFP).

That said, 90 g probably isn't going to be a problem for most on MFP unless on really high calories or a raw vegan.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I have recently started a food diary with myfitnesspal, and I am struggling with exceeding my daily sugar intake.

The problem is that all of the sugars that are being recorded are coming from my fruits & vegetables. I eat a lot of them in a day, which is why my intake is higher than it "should" be.

So what I want to know is... how much sugar is too much sugar?? And is it alright that my fruits & veggies are exceeding my sugar intake?!

It's a fair question.

On a basic level, based on calories in vs calories out, 1tbs sugar is about 16 calories.

In context, if you go to the gym 5 days a week and burn on average 500 calories during an hour session. Consuming 20lbs of sugar daily and still be within your target (assuming you're counting calories in other food and drink)

I'm not suggesting you do that necessarily, just basic science.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Well sugar doesn't cause diabetes. Genetics, obesity and inactivity are the bigger drives. And considering the OP is getting sugar from fruits and veggies, I wouldn't worry about it. I know the WHO recommends limiting added sugars to 10% of calories or 25gs per day (or something like that).

OP, honestly, if you goal is lowering your body fat, the more important things are calories, macros (generally want moderate protein so you can achieve 1g per lb of lean body mass), a solid resistance/weight training routine and more importantly... patience.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I would say 1 tsp. But it is totally a personal decision, i would try cutting it out if I were you and gradually reintroduce it and see what works best.

1 tsp is 4.2 grams. So according to you, the 135 g of brussels sprouts I had with breakfast (5.1 g of sugar) went over my daily limit and I better not eat any more vegetables, and certainly no plain greek yogurt or fruit! Heck, a normal-sized banana would TRIPLE the daily limit. Guess I better eat only a third, and only on a day with no vegetables.

Does this really seem to you to make sense? Or did you jump in without actually reading the OP's post?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I would say 1 tsp. But it is totally a personal decision, i would try cutting it out if I were you and gradually reintroduce it and see what works best.

1 tsp is 4.2 grams. So according to you, the 135 g of brussels sprouts I had with breakfast (5.1 g of sugar) went over my daily limit and I better not eat any more vegetables, and certainly no plain greek yogurt or fruit! Heck, a normal-sized banana would TRIPLE the daily limit. Guess I better eat only a third, and only on a day with no vegetables.

Does this really seem to you to make sense? Or did you jump in without actually reading the OP's post?

I think this. I was wondering myself.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options

If you are concerned about your blood sugar, you can test it yourself.
    lol!
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

If you are concerned about your blood sugar, you can test it yourself.
    lol!

My point is I don't need to test it myself.

I am not concerned about my blood sugar.

I have blood work done twice a year. It is always normal.

Any more than that seems excessive for someone with no blood sugar issues.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hey all. I have recently started a food diary with myfitnesspal, and I am struggling with exceeding my daily sugar intake.

The problem is that all of the sugars that are being recorded are coming from my fruits & vegetables. I eat a lot of them in a day, which is why my intake is higher than it "should" be.

So what I want to know is... how much sugar is too much sugar?? And is it alright that my fruits & veggies are exceeding my sugar intake?!

Sugar is sugar, regardless of the source. I am not concerned with sugar intake from veggies, although I do limit fruit and also other sources of sugar. I actually think it's important to eat a lot of veggies, it makes me feel more satisfied, and I think it has other benefits too. I'd rather not go over on my carbs and sugar, but don't mind having high protein and fat macro intakes. Setting my sugar intake is actually my last consideration:
    I'm 5'7", and 47 yo
    When I set my macro intake, I start with protein...since my lean body mass is 115lbs, i aim for 115g protein.
    Then I set my fiber intake, I track fiber and aim for 35g or more from legumes, beans, chia/flaxseeds, and a little comes from veggies.

Then I consider carbs, which I try to keep minimal, ie, only as much as I need to feel energetic for workouts, for me this is currently about 120g...more if I do more exercise.

Calories and fat grams fall into place, at about 1700 cals with moderate exercise, with fat grams equal or less than my protein intake. This is actually a lot of filling food! I eat 150g non-starchy veggies with meals, 450g daily.

Sugar intake ends up being low without any real effort on my part. I use stevia as a sweetener when I need one.
    Higher sugar/carb intake for me, and not eating enough veggies, I associate with a stall in my weight loss (fat loss) progress.

If you look at my diary you'll have to go back a week.....I was on vacay, then came home and was sick for 2 days....I'm trying to get back on track now.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Wow what a random and arbitrary number to select. Do you care to elaborate on how you selected this baseline measure?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    So should every person get a glucometer and strips to randomly test themselves when they have no symptoms of diabetes or even prediabetes?? Or if your doctor or medical team is not concerned about it?

An annual test is probably wise, as the only symptoms are elevated blood glucose.