Replies

• ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    So should every person get a glucometer and strips to randomly test themselves when they have no symptoms of diabetes or even prediabetes?? Or if your doctor or medical team is not concerned about it?

An annual test is probably wise, as the only symptoms are elevated blood glucose.

I'll let my doctor decide what tests I need....and usually she does one, but that has nothing to do with the poster above laughing and saying that random people should test their own blood sugar on the regular. That's just silliness for someone who has no issues with blood sugar or diabetes IMO.

Heck, I've had issues in the past with my glucose numbers and I still think that's extreme :p With my weight loss and now maintenance my glucose numbers have stabilized in the 80s, and my doctor has me come in twice a year to get blood panels done (I go in next month for the next batch). Both me and my doctor are comfortable with this, and I can't imagine testing at home-that would just lead to pointless obsession for me.
  • Pathmonkey
    Pathmonkey Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ban white and corn sugars from your diet....the rest will fall into place with a healthy diet...no calculations involved...easy peasy.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Pathmonkey wrote: »
    Ban white and corn sugars from your diet....the rest will fall into place with a healthy diet...no calculations involved...easy peasy.

You can definitely still gain weight eliminating 'non-white/corn sugars' from your diet, if you're eating above your maintenance level calories.
  • Pathmonkey
    Options

You can definitely still gain weight eliminating 'non-white/corn sugars' from your diet, if you're eating above your maintenance level calories.

By 'healthy diet' I meant healthy and within maintenance level calories.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options

Ah, gotcha! You threw me off when you said no calculations, I thought that meant you weren't still being mindful of calorie intake.
  • Pathmonkey
    Options

Ah, gotcha! You threw me off when you said no calculations, I thought that meant you weren't still being mindful of calorie intake.

LOL don't I wish there were absolutely no calcs involved... eat freely... what a dream! Yup, meant sugars aren't a big complicated thing if white/corn was banned from the diet. Sorry for the confusion, my bad! :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sugars aren't a big complicated thing if you eat added sugar in moderation, either, such as in the amounts recommended by the WHO.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sugars aren't a big complicated thing if you eat added sugar in moderation, either, such as in the amounts recommended by the WHO.

Yup.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    I've been hearing today in the UK, that diabetes is a problem world wide now. Countries which were seen as being in poverty only a few years ago are now in the same fix as us their populations are falling into the same diabetic difficulties as we have. The advice now seems to be becoming eat or drink as little added sugar as possible. Keep sweet stuff as an occasional treat. We are in general living and eating so very differently to how our relatives one hundred years ago would have lived and eaten which is closer to how our bodies were programmed to work.

I used to consider the added sugar level as something I need not worry about too much but increasingly it is becoming obvious our livers etc are finding added much harder to eliminate because of the quantities we have been eating, sweet foods are so enticing, now it seems so very important. I differentiate fruit and vegetable sugars because they come with natural fibre which make them more digestible but again too many portions a day could cause problems for some.

If I were 20 again, knowing what I do now, I would avoid so many of the foods I used to indulge in only having the very occasional treat. That way I would probably have avoided problems I have acquired.

Oh, Fuzzi! That is the truth!! I've been a vegetarian for a while, love veggies, and eat healthy...but in college...I existed on really bad food, the only vegetables I ate were a couple of pickles and some ketchup on my cheeseburger. If I knew then what I knew now...I would have had a different lifestyle.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I would think a max of 30g per day, but I personally try to keep it at 25 or less.
    The question you might ask is, is there a loss of bodyfat? Especially around your belly.
    If you have a glucometer to test your blood sugar at home, that will also tell you if your blood glucose is at an acceptable level.

You can limit fruit (lowering your carb macro), and instead increase your protein and fat macros. My own diet is 45-50% fat, and protein goal is 115g (protein grams the same number as my Lean Body Mass which is 115 lbs) and I lost weight very efficiently. If your veggies are non-starchy, the sugars from source will be minimal. Yay for veggies!!

Do you track fiber? Soluble fiber slows the entrance of sugar into your system, so whatever sugars you do eat, fiber will help to prevent spikes in blood sugar. Track fiber and increase it slowly to 35g or more!

Why would someone who doesn't have diabetes be testing their blood sugar?

OP, I only pay attention to added sugar, as others have said. I don't think twice about sugar from fruits and vegetables.

my dad is diabetic, and tests his sugar level several times a day, I'm not but I test it to make sure I'm ok as I don't to be diabetic