Strangest things seen while out on a run...

Options

Replies

• fileshiny
    fileshiny Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    well....I was walking at the time....but I did run across a human hand.....

Choke....what???????
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »

Choke....what???????

I was 11 and walking home from school...saw it poking up out from under a bush, palm up... and at first I thought it must be some kind of pranky type thing, but it looked fairly real...and a little bloody, so I grabbed an empty sandwich back from my backpack, turned it inside out and made me a glove to pick it up with. I was still of a solid "yup, it's real" opinion so I put it back down, went home and told my Dad. He tried to convince me it was some Hallowe'en prop or something. Then he immediately said he was going to go out and pick up a newspaper and some pop.....and didn't come home until 4 hours later....without said newspaper or pop.....

• fileshiny
    Options
    fileshiny wrote: »

Choke....what???????

I was 11 and walking home from school...saw it poking up out from under a bush, palm up... and at first I thought it must be some kind of pranky type thing, but it looked fairly real...and a little bloody, so I grabbed an empty sandwich back from my backpack, turned it inside out and made me a glove to pick it up with. I was still of a solid "yup, it's real" opinion so I put it back down, went home and told my Dad. He tried to convince me it was some Hallowe'en prop or something. Then he immediately said he was going to go out and pick up a newspaper and some pop.....and didn't come home until 4 hours later....without said newspaper or pop.....

I'm gonna need the rest of that ghost story...
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    What if you're the type who sees NOTHING while you run because you're just focused or not paying attention or something?

I ran a half marathon a while back and the route went right past the Alamo. I totally didn't see it. I remember at the end being like, "wait, where was the Alamo?" Apparently, it was around mile 3.

To be fair with everything else around there it's understandable you'd miss it.

One of my running buddies turned to look for someone and ran into a tree, still makes me chuckle.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    bezza666 wrote: »
    Two snakes having sex?

Right at eye level with me because they were on an embankment. I thought it was a drunk gopher at first. It was the most surreal terrifying thing I've ever seen.

• AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Pack of coyotes, deer nearly ran me over, racoon watching my suspiciously, random guy just walking around in the street at 5am.. and that was just this morning
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A full sheet cake with the top left corner missing....I'm not gonna lie it looked good!! Just chilling right in the middle of the sidewalk on Main Street....so random LOL!!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    bezza666 wrote: »
    Two snakes having sex?

Right at eye level with me because they were on an embankment. I thought it was a drunk gopher at first. It was the most surreal terrifying thing I've ever seen.

They were obviously way too busy to worry about biting you!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    Pack of coyotes, deer nearly ran me over, racoon watching my suspiciously, random guy just walking around in the street at 5am.. and that was just this morning

You must not live in a city - 5:00 a.m. in my neighourhood is prime walking around in the street time.
  • fileshiny
    Options
    agzram wrote: »
    A full sheet cake with the top left corner missing....I'm not gonna lie it looked good!! Just chilling right in the middle of the sidewalk on Main Street....so random LOL!!

Since a corner was missing, someone clearly agreed with you that it looked too good to resist!
  • fileshiny
    Options
    erockem wrote: »
    A fully wrapped steak laying in the middle of the trail. I took a picture for facebook. It was 7:05am, had to have been there all night.
    1p0jxe1587x7.jpg

A opossum hanging from a tree at face level.

On a side note when biking in the city, a flattened box turtle and a glass butt plug.

Sometimes the butt plugs just get away from you when you're running, I guess...
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Sometimes I see a pack of turkeys and let me tell you, I get so excited. They are gorgeous. But they always scamper away though when they see me approaching. I wish they were friendly. :frowning:

Had a pair of wild turkeys take flight right in front of me once (didn't know they were there). Took ten freaking years off my life -- those babies are LOUD!

Mine is a flock of turkeys. The first time I saw them I turned a corner and there were at least 20 and they were big and I was terrified. A car passed and they made a space for the car and I ran through after the car. I still see the roaming turkey pack from time to time but now I yell and wave m arms and they move out of my way.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    I was with a marathon training group running on the boardwalk on Venice Beach. While we were running, some guy tried to hand us business cards for a medical (?) marijuana shop.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not strange, but awesome.

Was on vacation running on the Oregon coast beach. I saw what I thought was someone down the beach, sitting on some drift wood. When I got close enough, I could see it was a bald eagle! When he thought I got too close, he flew ahead a hundred yards or so, and landed on more drift wood. We did this two or three times. AND, I have a rockin' version of the Star Spangled Banner on my playlist that came on at the same time. It was freakin' awesome!
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I live in Florida. Last week was out for my morning run about 6am and saw one of my neighbors putting out trash dressed in a speedo and sandals. I said "Morning". He said "You're out early". And I continued on my way...
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    a couple of weeks ago I was on a trail in a natural forest and I stopped to record my heart rate. While doing so, I heard a noise, looked up, and there were 2 deer in arms length from me (no exaggeration). They scared me, I scared them and we both took off in opposite directions running.

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I was out for a run when I heard a commotion above me, and a squirrel threw another squirrel out of a tree. The tossed squirrel landed smack on the hood of a car, sat up, shot me a "THIS NEVER HAPPENED" look, and ran back up the tree. I assume it was some sort of weird squirrel foreplay.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    At the park I walk at I don't see anything too strange per se. I do see a few deer each time. The thing that baffles me is every day, no matter time of day there are these older women out in the woods/meadows crouched down picking something, I see them with tote bags of plants walking around too. And if they see something off in the woods while they are walking they take off and pick it. I'm not entirely sure this is even legal!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Wow my runs are boring! I have seen raccoons, and used to have a cheerleader in the neighborhood, would go running really early and the heavily tattooed gangster neighbor often came out to have a cigarette around the same time, whenever I passed him he would clap and yell encouragement, it was really funny.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    mkwrose wrote: »
    At the park I walk at I don't see anything too strange per se. I do see a few deer each time. The thing that baffles me is every day, no matter time of day there are these older women out in the woods/meadows crouched down picking something, I see them with tote bags of plants walking around too. And if they see something off in the woods while they are walking they take off and pick it. I'm not entirely sure this is even legal!

Mushroom hunters would be my guess.