Local Pizzeria Question

How do you all calculate pizza and chicken wings from a local pizzeria. My husband and I are going out for pizza and wings and I'm trying to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    If I go to the local pizza place I guesstimate as close as I can with similar entries in the database that's all you can do really unless your local pizza place has nutritional information (mine has not I don't think the old fashioned italian guy that runs it will ever add that info either but he! It's the best pizza in the local area).
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Thank you. I'll just guesstimate! Thanks for the response!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Check out the calories from chain pizzerias like Papa John's, Pizza Hut, etc. I use them for comparison if they're roughly the same size and crust thickness.
    For wings, you could also use Pizza Hut or somewhere like Quaker Steak or Buffalo Wild Wings. They provide nutrition info.
  • xtina315
    Thank you for the response. I just did that and used dominos pizza info and chicken wing info from pizza hut.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,968 Member
    I use the information from a chain restaurant that is similar. When I eat out at local places I always think my diary looks weird because I have food from more than one restaurant in the same meal, but I just try to go with the one that seems the most similar to me.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    When I go to my pizza place with husband, I eat half and take the rest home and weigh it :D Our place has a very thin crust italian style pizza so entire thing is about 390 grams... Similar pizza entries state about 220-270 kcal per 100 g so I go for the higher number and put about 550 for half (195 g). And other half I eat the next day :)
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Be careful though. I saw a lady post in here that she had like 2 donuts from a local shop and looked at the calories later, and found out they were like 3x the regular krispy kremes. I feel like pizza and wings should be alright though because they're pretty much standard if you go for 'basic' flavors. Maybe she got some kind of crazy donuts lol.
  • xtina315
    We have NY style pizza restaurants. I may over estimate so I dont over eat calories lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    nosajjao wrote: »
    xtina315 wrote: »
    How do you all calculate pizza and chicken wings from a local pizzeria. My husband and I are going out for pizza and wings and I'm trying to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance.

It's junk food, so treat it like you accidentally cheated and ate junk food.

What does that mean? You shouldn't log it? Calories don't matter?

I don't do cheat meals, and I don't consider any food junk. If I want pizza and wings, I will work it into my week, but for logging purposes I would use the suggestions above of finding a reasonable approximation from a listing in the database. Something from Papa Johns and Buffalo Wild Wings should ensure that you don't unintentionally under log the calories.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    @xtina315 Yeah it seems that pizza is a lot lighter on calories here in Europe...we mostly eat thin crust with just some mozzarella and pepperoni...or ham and mushrooms or similar. I live in Finland but my home city in Croatia is about 30 min drive to Italy...so with strong italian influence that is the kind I grew up with. :)
  • kgirlhart

It's junk food, so treat it like you accidentally cheated and ate junk food.

Some people don't label foods as good or junk. I log everything I eat "good" and "bad". If it is something I have no way of getting the nutritional information for I will use my best guess and log it and move on. Which is what most people suggested that the OP do.
  • kgirlhart
    We have NY style pizza restaurants. I may over estimate so I dont over eat calories lol

I would do that too. And just enjoy it. It's not like you eat every meal there.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What do you think? If you don't think eating junk food is cheating, might want to reevaluate your priorities. If you're just maintaining a weight/size, then you can handle it every now and then. But if you're trying to get in shape, it'll do nothing good for you. Especially a fast food place like Pizza the Hutt

It's not cheating if you fit it into your calories and macros, though. Pizza has a lot of protein, especially if it's got lots of meat on it. There are no good or bad foods, only foods that don't fit into the context of one's diet.
    When I was losing weight I ate takeaway pizza almost every week. It fit into my diet. I still lost weight and felt great.
  • KorvapuustiPossu

What do you think? If you don't think eating junk food is cheating, might want to reevaluate your priorities. If you're just maintaining a weight/size, then you can handle it every now and then. But if you're trying to get in shape, it'll do nothing good for you. Especially a fast food place like Pizza the Hutt

Wow...you are so wrong...cheating? On who or what? If it's in here calorie goal why wouldn't she eat it...even if it's not she can compensate with eating less some other day, or working out more...and who are you to preach about evil food and cheating?! We are real people living real lives and in order to be successful in loosing weight we have to continue our usual routine and just adjust a little. That is what makes it work long term. Also pizza is in no way evil. There is no evil food!!
  • WinoGelato

I don't think that labeling foods as good or bad is a healthy mindset. It is just food. I can eat a primarily nutrient dense diet, and fit in pizza or wings (usually not both but maybe once in a while) and it isn't cheating, it doesn't prevent me from reaching my goals. I lost 30 lbs and never cut out any foods or had "cheat days" because I just worked the foods I wanted into my diet.

Why would pizza do nothing good for you? It has carbs, fat and protein. It can actually be one of the most balanced foods that there is.
  • kgirlhart

I have been eating "junk" food all along and I don't consider it cheating. I have lost 40 pounds so far and I eat Pizza Hut probably twice a month (which is about the same amount I ate it before I started trying to lose weight). I had pizza, beer and blueberry pie with ice cream last night for dinner and did not go over my goal and I was still down a pound this morning when I weighed. I'm working on a lifestyle change so I won't consider anything I eat cheating especially if I stay at my calorie goal and even if I go over I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I think my priorities are just fine.
  • sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    edited April 2016
    Below is a link to a good blog about how we view food now. I'm guilty of it, but am working hard to change my view of it, and enjoy pizza, or any other "non-diet" food when I have it. Just keep it within your calorie allowance (or within reason), and you'll be fine.

http://www.melissatoler.com/blog/food-guilt-is-running-your-life
  • WinoGelato
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I have been eating "junk" food all along and I don't consider it cheating. I have lost 40 pounds so far and I eat Pizza Hut probably twice a month (which is about the same amount I ate it before I started trying to lose weight). I had pizza, beer and blueberry pie with ice cream last night for dinner and did not go over my goal and I was still down a pound this morning when I weighed. I'm working on a lifestyle change so I won't consider anything I eat cheating especially if I stay at my calorie goal and even if I go over I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I think my priorities are just fine.

Yum, next time can you invite me please?