DETOX TEAS - What kind?

Options

Replies

• HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Go to Curezone (also known as quackzone) and read the liver flush forum. You'll find all sorts of "liver teas."
    Sigh. A quick search showed that you're right. Isn't detoxing your liver akin to moistening your glass of water?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Most of these "detox" teas are just a laxative tea and/or a diuretic. They are just making you pee/poop which can give the illusion of losing weight because the scale will go down as you eliminate waste. As soon as you eat, the weight will come right back. Do your self a favor and just stay away from them.
    plantgrrl wrote: »
    You're liver is the only detox you ever need. Honestly. Save your cash. Most of the time you're ditching water weight and any food in your bowels. It's probably pretty bad for you and your wallet. I saw this meme a few weeks ago and it applies. Best wishes!

pb4ykkjtl7e9.jpg

Awesome!!! Wish there was a like button.

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Long Island Iced Detox Tea...
    i am all about this tea-tox.. was just at dave and busters and man they good long islands.
  • IrmaC94
    IrmaC94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So glad I asked! LOL I don't buy into the detox your body stuff, but a lady at work was detoxing and kept saying how great she felt and she wasn't in the bathroom. I was like nah, I'm good. If I need to detox, I'll stay away from what I need to detox myself. Then I started to wonder, if they really work. Growing up in a Mexican household, we had teas for everything from cramps/bloating to sore throats to sleep aids to it's cold, add some alcohol to the tea and go to sleep. LOL I think I'll stick to my long island teas on the sweet side.

Thanks for the reminder everyone - Blessings to all!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I just need people to know that I spelled s-h-i-t and MFP changed it to kitten. Because yes, that's definitely how I describe my poops.

Crap isn't kittn ed out....

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Sorry, I just need people to know that I spelled s-h-i-t and MFP changed it to kitten. Because yes, that's definitely how I describe my poops.

One of my posts got changed to "no kitten, Sherlock". Which doesn't really make much sense, but it made me laugh.

I need to try this...

*kitten*

ETA: That's awesome.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

One of my posts got changed to "no kitten, Sherlock". Which doesn't really make much sense, but it made me laugh.

I've been wondering why I've been seeing *kitten* all over the boards!

OP, save your money, drink water.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    if you feel like spending too much money on tea, just buy a bunch of really nice teas!
    We have a tea shop nearby, and there is also a mall tea shop called Teavana.
    Local tea shops and the mall one both have free samples.
    Go and try a bunch of different teas and buy what you like.
    Increasing water is good for you, and tea is delicious, so just treat yourself to a bunch of nice teas!
    You can even write 'detox' on the tea bag with a sharpie.
    Voila!
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Detox teas might not work as advertised but drinking tea can be a valuable addition to your diet plan. I often drink tea when I have a craving. By the time I make the tea wait for a minute for it to cool enough and drink it, I've already forgotten about my craving. Obviously tea doesn't have to be the distraction but if you enjoy tea why not?

I like the yogi brand teas all except for the Kava Stress Relief one. They are mostly caffeine free but some are not so if you are looking for caffeine free make sure you read the box. I like yogi because they don't taste watered down like some other herbal teas and they don't need added sweetening in my opinion
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I've been wondering why I've been seeing *kitten* all over the boards!

OP, save your money, drink water.

Nearly choked laughing on the Fitness board where they're discussing what you should and shouldn't wear in the gym. Apparently as long as your 'kitten-crack' isn't showing, you're good.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Arrgghh. I just stepped on some dog kitten out in the yard.
    Apparently my cats keep having kittens in the litter box. Here I thought giving them the Bob Barker treatment would stop that.
  • HomeatWDW
    Options
    IrmaC94 wrote: »
    So glad I asked! LOL I don't buy into the detox your body stuff, but a lady at work was detoxing and kept saying how great she felt and she wasn't in the bathroom. I was like nah, I'm good. If I need to detox, I'll stay away from what I need to detox myself. Then I started to wonder, if they really work. Growing up in a Mexican household, we had teas for everything from cramps/bloating to sore throats to sleep aids to it's cold, add some alcohol to the tea and go to sleep. LOL I think I'll stick to my long island teas on the sweet side.
    Some teas really do have proven therapeutic qualities. My Hungarian grandma was a big proponent of chamomile, and here's some reliable backing for its healthy properties: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2995283/

You'll find scientific backups for some other teas/ailments, too, but nothing for detox. It's not that teas can't be good for you. It's that detoxing in such manners doesn't exist.
  • MominTX80
    MominTX80 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    What about juice cleanses? I feel it is healthier since they are all natural.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    MominTX80 wrote: »

Nope Nope Nope. The detox teas are all natural too. Doesn't really matter if it is natural or not. You don't need to cleanse or detox anything. Just eat a variety of nutrient dense foods, within your calorie goal. You will lose weight. Your liver and kidneys do the rest.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    MominTX80 wrote: »

Absolutely not. Straight sugar water. No protein, fat or fiber to keep you full.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    it's not for detox but i love peppermint tea. it has no caffeine and it leaves you with great smelling breath and it's a nice way to unwind at the end of the day.

Not for detox either but I like green tea and chanca piedra tea (bold) for something hot besides coffee.
  • hilarymcm
    hilarymcm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yogi Tea has several "detox" teas...you don't need more than your liver to actually detox, but their Peach Detox makes delicious iced tea! The Roasted Dandelion detox is pretty tasty too, almost like chai.