Does anyone NOT eat bananas?

Options
beautifulsparkles
beautifulsparkles Posts: 314 Member
edited April 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've been adding them to as a base or main ingrediant to smoothies- they taste too sweet/sugary. I definately prefer the savoury stuff these days, I don't think I enjoy many fruits.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't. I think they're too high calorie. I'd rather eat a piece of meat, can of tuna, small salad, 2 oreos...etc.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't. I think they're too high calorie. I'd rather eat a piece of meat, can of tuna, small salad, 2 oreos...etc.

I wish meat was as cheap to buy as bananas!
  • arditarose
    Options

Gah I barely even look at the price on food anymore. Everything I love is just so expensive.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options

Gah I barely even look at the price on food anymore. Everything I love is just so expensive.

I've looked at your instagram, I get so much food envy!

Are there any other foods you don't tend to eat?
  • arditarose
    Options

You have? Ha. There's a lot on there from when I was gaining.

Ummm....more like foods I don't tend to keep in my "food environment"/house. I wouldn't never say I DON'T eat bread, but I definitely save that for when it's fresh baked and I'm at a restaurant. I don't eat oatmeal, though I used to get into zoats because the volume was higher. I'm not great at keeping things like cereal and chips around. I do buy single servings of things when I'm out though. I don't know. I practice volumetrics so I tend not to eat too many calorie dense foods on a daily basis because I like to stuff my face with a lot of food for less.
  • beautifulsparkles
    Options

I practice volumetrics so I tend not to eat too many calorie dense foods on a daily basis because I like to stuff my face with a lot of food for less.

I need to figure out how to do that because I want to eat all the time!
  • arditarose
    Options

I practice volumetrics so I tend not to eat too many calorie dense foods on a daily basis because I like to stuff my face with a lot of food for less.

I need to figure out how to do that because I want to eat all the time!

It can take a little practice. The easiest thing is to replace grains with double veg and an extra ounce or so of lean meat if you can fit it. I don't cook with oil or butter so I have room for cheese or extra meat instead. I'll look at a food like an egg for example...2 eggs, 140 calories. I'm getting fat and protein there. But if I break up these macros and get my protein from egg whites, 140 calories of egg whites has a lot more volume than 140 calories from 2 whole eggs. Now I can get my fat from entirely different food source. I have room for avocado, or bacon, etc.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I love bananas... banana bread... banana peanut butter and honey toast... bananas in smoothies. With all that said I don't really eat them because Id rather get the calories elsewhere. but man I love em.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Go for a greener banana- less sugar content.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    Go for a greener banana- less sugar content.

and a lot harder to digest
  • liannangel2004
    liannangel2004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do not eat bananas. They make my tongue itch. :'(
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I do not eat bananas. They make my tongue itch. :'(

This is probably Oral Allergy Syndrome from the pollen. I have this & can't eat them. Are there other fruits & veg that you can't eat?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I usually don't. I've had some lately because I got a stomach bug, but yeah, typically an apple will have less calories and be more filling.

I've always wondered how the calories differ depending on how ripe the banana is though... I like them yellow/green.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I've been adding them to as a base or main ingrediant to smoothies- they taste too sweet/sugary. I definately prefer the savoury stuff these days, I don't think I enjoy many fruits.

I just use a half banana, or about 70 grams, in my smoothies.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I will never give up bananas for anything. I don't eat them daily though, maybe once a week or for a whole week every other week. Something like that!

I get sick of foods if I eat them every single day so that's just why.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I dont eat many bananas. I prefer lower calorie/size fruits
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Interesting. . . I love bananas but don't eat them very often after a debate about them when I was in the hospital. It was thought that I was backed up (according to them) more than likely from eating bananas. My system went from about once a day then, to since giving up bananas I go 3 times a day!
  • gember85
    gember85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can't eat bananas anymore when I was pregnant with my daughter I ate one every day and now can't even look at them lol x
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    Interesting. . . I love bananas but don't eat them very often after a debate about them when I was in the hospital. It was thought that I was backed up (according to them) more than likely from eating bananas. My system went from about once a day then, to since giving up bananas I go 3 times a day!

@Adc7225 your post is good example we all can respond differently to the same food and why social media is not a good and safe source of eating advice. What that may be fine for one to eat may be bad for another.

draxe.com/banana-nutrition/

This seems to be a more or less balanced article but we can the carb/fiber ratio does not make them a weight loss food of choice for some perhaps.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bananas very often because I don't love them and I save them for my dh or dd.