Crossfit, tried it and want to quit

Options

Replies

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Usually, challenges that make me want to quit are exactly what I need.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I hated cross fit before because I'd heard tales from friends and doctors about all the injuries.

Now it's got personal. A beautiful person in my life, young, strong, ex athlete, has injured himself so badly he has to have surgery on a torn hip labral tear and may never run again. He's broken hearted.

Deep squats cross fit style, competitive, too fast, too heavy, too public, did that. There's no way it would have got that bad if he'd been on his own training, in a gym, without all the hype, and listening to himself.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I hated cross fit before because I'd heard tales from friends and doctors about all the injuries.

Now it's got personal. A beautiful person in my life, young, strong, ex athlete, has injured himself so badly he has to have surgery on a torn hip labral tear and may never run again. He's broken hearted.

Deep squats cross fit style, competitive, too fast, too heavy, too public, did that. There's no way it would have got that bad if he'd been on his own training, in a gym, without all the hype, and listening to himself.

Don't you think he's got a certain amount of personal responsibility for his own workout?
    (I generally agree with you so this isn't accusatory - but ... more a thought for question)
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Don't you think he's got a certain amount of personal responsibility for his own workout?
    (I generally agree with you so this isn't accusatory - but ... more a thought for question)

Absolutely. Of course. But as a woman is who is quite competitive I know it's nothing compared to the men I know, and these environments get everyone so riled up and excited and time driven they couldn't listen to their bodies if they wanted to,. Crossfit plays on this, and this isn't a one off, I've heard the same story again and again. I think it's got ethical issues.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Absolutely. Of course. But as a woman is who is quite competitive I know it's nothing compared to the men I know, and these environments get everyone so riled up and excited and time driven they couldn't listen to their bodies if they wanted to,. Crossfit plays on this, and this isn't a one off, I've heard the same story again and again. I think it's got ethical issues.

I mean, you're not wrong, but it seems like you're discounting the naturally competitiveness of people, especially certain personality types, and how far they'll push themselves on their own. I know many of serious runners that have seriously injured themselves in the pursuit of more miles or more speed. I know many non-crossfit powerlifters that have suffered major injury. Literally every high level athlete I know has hurt themselves at done point **and continued to play through the pain**. Hell, I knew someone that competed in academic Olympics that took dangerous illegal drugs so she could study longer and with more focus.

It's not a crossfit thing. It's a people thing. People push themselves. And then they get injured. Doesn't matter if they are repping power cleans or working in the typing pool. It's just cool to single CF out because they have a high profile brand name and it's different than what we've become used to.

• DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

I mean, you're not wrong, but it seems like you're discounting the naturally competitiveness of people, especially certain personality types, and how far they'll push themselves on their own. I know many of serious runners that have seriously injured themselves in the pursuit of more miles or more speed. I know many non-crossfit powerlifters that have suffered major injury. Literally every high level athlete I know has hurt themselves at done point **and continued to play through the pain**. Hell, I knew someone that competed in academic Olympics that took dangerous illegal drugs so she could study longer and with more focus.

It's not a crossfit thing. It's a people thing. People push themselves. And then they get injured. Doesn't matter if they are repping power cleans or working in the typing pool. It's just cool to single CF out because they have a high profile brand name and it's different than what we've become used to.

Came across this on IG yesterday and it made me think of this thread. Layne Norton is a lifter and coach that these forums seem to have great respect for. As far as I know he's never been involved with CF.

And yet...... (open it to read the caption as he lists his current major injuries)

• a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'd modify as needed. Even doing exercise videos at home I quickly learned that if I tried to do every move as shown I'd never make it. So I modified as needed and slowly have been able to increase my pace.

Also I'd talk to the instructor about your concerns and ask for tips and encouragement.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

Spot on man. People of a driven competitive nature are going to push their limits in any endeavor they pursue.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    I've never tried and have no particular opinion of CrossFit, but I laugh every time I see it. The WSJ had an article several months ago detailing CrossFit making for bad neighbors. This was my favorite thing I've ever seen in the WSJ: "Even when she went outside, she couldn’t find peace. 'I would go out back and read a book,' she said. 'It was Nickelback playing and guys screaming. It was my worst nightmare.'"

Well that pretty much says it all and is all the reason she needs to quit.

Love or hate Crossfit there is nothing quite like watching Crossfit's director of training hitching his deadlift for what seems like hours in an official video. Jump to about 4:40 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne5FGRvP5Is

Admire the tenacity but damn just drop the bar and try another day.

This is an official video? Or a video supposed to make people run away?
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Something else to keep in mind is that you're going to trend towards being strong in some areas and weak in others. I can rep out cleans all day, I can row/run at a high rate for extended periods, but I fall apart on thrusters and snatches. Crossfit is very good at highlighting your weaknesses. You can either accept those weaknesses or work on getting better at them.

But hey, if you don't like, you don't like it. I'm not sure one class is going to tell you if it's right for you or not, but it's your cash and time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Alidecker wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    absolutely quit if you don't like it!!!

Let's face it, part of experiencing long term success has to do with our ability to sustain the changes you've made to our lifestyle. If this style of workout is not for you, then MOVE ON and find one that does!

Personally I do not like crossfit. I think it is not a good choice for beginners or even those who are in relatively good shape but lack a lifting background. Because crossfit uses the group environment to "encourage" others I often find that people are pushed beyond their physical capabilities, may injure themselves from overuse (rhabdo is rampant in crossfit), and people sacrifice form for time. Don't even get me started on all of the bad practices i've seen where coaches will watch and encourage their members to perform dangerous movements.

Anyways, you need to feel comfortable, confident, and enjoy the environment if you're going to stick to it longterm. I'm not saying you can't grow to love something, i'm saying it's pretty obvious that atleast for now that the environment is not one in which you want to continue and grow in. Is there anything else you want to try? Like swimming, cycling, running, zumba, les mills, etc.? Do you want to continue to workout in a group? Do you want to workout alone? Keep in mind what works for you may not work for your husband.

I've tried three different boxes in my area, and this tends to be my issue with CF given my experiences. The coaches also didn't really seem to recognize or care that some people were really working beyond their means...I would expect a good coach to have them back off a bit...some people just can't inherently do that on their own in that kind of environment I think. As someone else up thread noted, it's basically putting the ideology ahead of the client.

That said, I do know people who enjoy CF and have been just fine...but it's certainly not my cup o' tea and I do think in many ways it can be more dangerous than a lot of other exercise modalities.

I'm curious as to whether the OP attended a "ramp on" or if that was even offered by the box? At one of the boxes I attended, I attended a free class which was basically a "normal" class...I really had no business being there and in that class at that time given my level of fitness. At another box I did attend a 3 week ramp on which was a lot more tame and everyone in that class was brand new...but still, it wasn't my thing.

That is a good question. If they don't do the ramp class or some sort of training for people new to the gym, they should. I did a three week ramp class and it taught me a lot. At a different box, I did a free class to try it. It was hard, but not Olympic moves. More things like squats and lunges, etc. The first part of class the coach looked at everyones form on squats and squat thrusts. If you liked that, they had you sign up for the ramp class.

The ramp class definitely gave me a different perspective on CF and was definitely much more mellow than just diving in head first to a WOD.

People should also take note that really CF is not just exercise, but a sport in and of itself...so on that note, one has to determine if they like participating in that sport or not. It should also be noted that purposeful training for a sport...any sport is going to be more intensive than just going and getting some exercise and is also going to come with a higher risk of injury and I question whether or not purposeful training for a sport, particularly one as intensive as CF is something that someone brand new to fitness should really be doing...IDK, maybe I'm overthinking that...maybe not...

One interesting thing in my area is that recently the city has banned it's police and fire fighters from doing CF as there were too many off the job injuries taking place

Do you have something official you can link to about this banning? This is the type of thing I usually hear rumors of but tends to be urban legend. I'm not calling you a liar; I just haven't seen this sort of thing happen so I'm curious as to how it's enforced.

Does a civilian commanding officer even have the power to ban perfectly legal recreational activities? What part of the union agreement is this? Can they ban drinking on the weekend? Motorcycle riding? Ski vacations?

@DavPul My buddy is a fire fighter and used to do CF...he's the one that encouraged me to give it a try a few years back....he's the one that told me. I have no earthly clue how they would or could enforce it which I questioned earlier. He told me banned, but who knows...maybe it's just strongly discouraged.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I've never tried and have no particular opinion of CrossFit, but I laugh every time I see it. The WSJ had an article several months ago detailing CrossFit making for bad neighbors. This was my favorite thing I've ever seen in the WSJ: "Even when she went outside, she couldn’t find peace. 'I would go out back and read a book,' she said. 'It was Nickelback playing and guys screaming. It was my worst nightmare.'"

Love or hate Crossfit there is nothing quite like watching Crossfit's director of training hitching his deadlift for what seems like hours in an official video. Jump to about 4:40 in the video.

Official Crossfit video starring their director of training.

zxrihrwnjfo4.png
  • DavPul
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

i mean, it looks like a bunch of bros goofing off in someone's garage gym during their off time. but hey, if someone wants to post it as if it's an officially sanctioned training video, go ahead and do you.

brb, posting videos of NBA players hoisting half court shots after practice as "proof" of their lace of shooting skills.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    The level of exercise was much too hard for you to start. Especially if your heart rate a blood pressure took quite some time to come down.
    Crossfit is hard. And IMO, only people who have the basic understanding of correct form on lifting should even attempt it at all. Being untrained and attempting it could be disastrous especially if the instructor isn't keen on gauging someone's physical fitness level.
    I follow the rule of "stimulate" not "annihilate" when it comes to training clients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The level of exercise was much too hard for you to start. Especially if your heart rate a blood pressure took quite some time to come down.
    Crossfit is hard. And IMO, only people who have the basic understanding of correct form on lifting should even attempt it at all. Being untrained and attempting it could be disastrous especially if the instructor isn't keen on gauging someone's physical fitness level.
    I follow the rule of "stimulate" not "annihilate" when it comes to training clients.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I concur with all of this. In my experience, too many Crossfit "trainers" aren't properly qualified in assessing people's abilities and gauging the workout accordingly. It's often go all out at all costs. I don't see how gauging the success of a workout by whether or not one is left vomiting in a corner is a viable strategy.

There's nothing new in Crossfit. People have been doing squats, cleans, and kettlebell work long before Crossfit came along. It's just a new packaging and marketing scheme. I would advise you to give it another couple of classes. If you still feel it's not for you, then move along to something else you enjoy. Best of luck either way!
  • Springfield1970
    edited April 2016
    Options

Came across this on IG yesterday and it made me think of this thread. Layne Norton is a lifter and coach that these forums seem to have great respect for. As far as I know he's never been involved with CF.

And yet...... (open it to read the caption as he lists his current major injuries)

I didn't see the list.

I know lots of athletes now. They're all riddled with injuries. But they are top of their game, representing their country etc. they know what it's all about.
    the injured people I heard about from doctor friends were just normal every day Crossfitters. Inexperienced and in a bit of shock from the severity of their injures, ie in emergency ward at hospital. Many many people, enough for the doctors to notice. People that have wrecked joints and soft tissue enough to disable themselves.

That's where I think it's different from individual training, when I'm on my own and I injure myself I'm responsible. When my swimming trainer insisted I do so much volume with paddles and I trusted him and got swimmers elbow I blame him. I knew about not upping intensity and volume at the same time but he insisted.

I think leaders, trainers and teachers need to take one to one responsibility or re assess who the group situation is really benefiting. Especially in any physical training.

When I train people I tell them to ease in and listen constantly to their voices to watch for strain (there are no nerve endings in the cords). I get them to sign a disclaimer about not singing when ill or strained, and advise them hat they shouldn't sing in choirs if they are belters, or with bands and inadequate monitors. I gave up group singing teaching because I think ithat is irresponsible and possibly damaging.

I'm also a bit repelled by the whole evangelical thing, and the local CF owners to me were very insistent on the Paleo thing. Which is more of a personal aversion to 'rules' and cults.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Depends on cost of the one month membership. If you absolutely hate every freakin thing about it, well. It may be worth eating the cost and not going back

It's been a few days though, OP. What did you decide?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Crossfit can be a bit technical and sometimes too intense. There are so many basic lifting routines that can be a good place to start. Personally I love the basic Venus female lifting routine as it is different each day for 12 weeks and people can do them at home or in a gym even with just dumbbells. But there are many other great basic lifting routines as well, some are free and some are very little cost, definitely more economical compared to most crossfit memberships.

Keep trying things until you find something you enjoy!
  • kasparkid
    kasparkid Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    If you have kids what would you tell them if they wanted to quit after one music/sport/art practice/lesson?

Depends a bit on whether they have anything else they enjoy, or whether quitting is something that comes easy/naturally to them. If my kid is afraid to try anything new, tries something new, and hates it, then I might encourage said kid to continue give it a go (unless there is something clearly suggesting that it's a bad idea to continue).

If someone does not have that problem generally, but tries something new and REALLY doesn't like it? Feel free to quit.

I like to think of it in terms of dating. Sometimes you need a couple of times to know whether or not you're interested in getting to know someone you go out with. Sometimes you know from the first moment you meet someone that you never want to see them again. That's okay IMHO.
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote:
    If you have kids what would you tell them if they wanted to quit after one music/sport/art practice/lesson?
    Well, you could not tell them much, because kids learn habits from parents both good and bad.
    It's like my uncle preaching against the evils of smoking...as he lit up a cigar... :p
    kveotp0otgtw.jpg