What was the biggest sacrifice you had to make to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Coming clean
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't call the following sacrifices at all, just changes I have made from my former sedentary obese life to my current fit & healthy life.

1. Alcohol. I was never a big drinker, but once I learned how many calories my favourite drinks had and when I learned how the body processes alcohol and how it affects fat loss it wasn't worth it to me. I also craved greasy food after a night out drinking. I'd rather eat my calories and I don't miss it.

2. Soft drinks and store-bought juice. I just lost the taste for drinking them after cutting back.

3. Time. I spend a lot of time working out, planning and prepping my meals plus I cook a lot from scratch, and reading and researching health & fitness topics etc. They are all a time well-spent and I enjoy it!

4. Huge portions. I grew up with a lot of athletic guys in my family. I ate just like them and I was not athletic back then. Years later it showed on my body.

Once I started to follow all of these points and stayed consistent, weight loss became easier for me. I ate the same things when I was losing like pizza and ice cream etc., just not the whole pizza or the whole half gallon of ice cream.

80 pounds gone and maintaining for almost 3 years, life seriously could not be better and these changes were all so worth it! :)
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Alcohol when I first started. Now I rarely drink and don't miss it at all.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I had to sacrifice eating at every single opportunity to eat. Not an emotional eater, but an opportunistic eater - I love food and if it's offered, i'll eat it. The number of foods I won't eat can be counted on one hand. It's not such a big deal now, but when I first started, it was hard saying no.

I also had to sacrifice eating/taking food leftover from work functions (uneaten from buffet - destined for the bin). The frugal part of me loved getting great food for free, it froze well and because of the style of buffet and rotation of food, food poisoning wasn't an issue. I just couldn't guarantee the calories and it was often high in fat to make it tastier.
  • heavy_heavy_lowlow
    heavy_heavy_lowlow Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my biggest sacrifice was people. people telling me i was fat or ugly or makin fun of me and ppl doubting me saying i was too big to lose weight. i cut them off use their hate as motivation and now im like 160 pounds lighter in a year and a half. they hatin now lol
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I gave up being out of shape. I gave up wearing the only two pairs of pants that fit me, my maternity pants (hadn't been pregnant for a year). I gave up being upset with myself for letting myself get to that point. An I gave up not liking the way I looked.

I didn't give up anything else. I still eat all the same foods, chocolate everyday, pasta, alcohol but I managed to do it all in moderation. Okay, maybe not the chocolate in moderation but I'm making it work. Life's too short to give up what I love.
  • nettielouisepierson
    Options
    Sweet Tea! As a true southern woman it runs in my blood but so does diabetes soooooo, lol :p
    I have to say 20 lbs down and unsweetened tea is just as good to me now!
  • keamber77
    keamber77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I Miss My Sodas Chocolate Candy , but I have to eat healthy , but its nothing wrong with a treat , but u have to know the limit
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Starbucks
  • RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Food Binges!
    I used to just eat all day - my God! The first few months were hell, and after that, my results trumped my desire to eat everything on the McD value menu.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Brandy108 wrote: »
    I stopped eating diary for a week at the start of my weight loss journey, just to see if it made a difference. Turns out I have an issue with cow's milk. I used to feel really bloated after days where I had a lot of cheese/milk or, occasionally, I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating and super sick to my stomach. I went to the doctor and they confirmed it, no more diary unless I want to feel awful. I now use goat cheese if I'm craving cheese. So I wouldn't say it was I wanted to cut out diary, but it has helped me feel 100% better.

Also, I miss pizza and Ben and Jerry's

Ben and Jerry's makes a non-dairy ice cream now :) They use almond milk. The peanut butter cookie flavor is the best, but they have four flavors out. Target is the best place to find them.

YES! I just tried the pb and cookies. I am allergic to eggs and Ben and Jerry's uses egg yolks, so I normally can't eat it but I picked up the pb and cookies and non dairy flavor and love it. And for some reason I feel so much more satisfied with a tiny bit of that than regular ice cream.
  • ntagabtf
    ntagabtf Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My boobs. :neutral:
  • Fernando618G
    Fernando618G Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Freaking bread, do you know how much you can miss a normal freaking piece of toast with butter n jelly in the morning..
  • Fernando618G
    Options
    ntagabtf wrote: »
    My boobs. :neutral:

Oh no have a :cookie:
  • ysalgad2
    ysalgad2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    McDonald's. It got to the point where I would order two meals just for myself. If I had a bad day I would pass by McDonald's and eat the blues away, if I had a great day I would eat McDonald's to celebrate. God I was out of control. I've only eaten it once in the past 4 months and just a small portion. I'm extremely proud of myself. On Friday I hit the 199 lbs on the scale! No longer 200 pounds B)
  • Fernando618G
    Options
    ysalgad2 wrote: »
    McDonald's. It got to the point where I would order two meals just for myself. If I had a bad day I would pass by McDonald's and eat the blues away, if I had a great day I would eat McDonald's to celebrate. God I was out of control. I've only eaten it once in the past 4 months and just a small portion. I'm extremely proud of myself. On Friday I hit the 199 lbs on the scale! No longer 200 pounds B)

:cookie: you deserve it great job!
  • ysalgad2
    ysalgad2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    :cookie: you deserve it great job![/quote]

Hmmm if that's a low fat cookie I'll take it!
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »
    Fast food. I eat it occasionally. I didn't give it up necessarily because of calories, more because I found I can cook a hamburger, steak, etc that tastes alot better and it's not loaded with butter, fat, etc. Since I began eating healthier, I appreciate food more. I enjoy the taste. Cheap, fast food just doesn't appeal to me.

This. It is the biggest change but definitely not a sacrifice (after the first week or so).

• elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Spontaneity.

It is a bit annoying not to be able to eat whatever I feel like eating whenever I feel like eating it.

But I have lost about 25 kg (55 lbs) and I'm down to a weight I haven't seen in a decade.

This. Eating how much ever I want, whenever I choose and I still struggle with this. If only I could eat sugary treats all day every day. Giving up that habit is well worth it, I feel amazing sometimes and sometimes I feel like the same old me to though.

+10

• kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Alcohol atm.