Most annoying things people say when your losing weight!!

Options

Replies

• sstout02
    sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, let's see. Just this week I have heard the following:
    - You're not fat. (Ummm excuse me, but for MY BODY, I am OBESE)
    - You don't need to lose any weight. (This is about changing my lifestyle and burning fat, NOT weight loss).
    - You look just fine. (Just fine for who?)
    - It's fine to go over your calories every once in a while. (You say that to me every day! And you weigh TWICE as much as I do, so NO THANKS on the advice)
    - You don't need to work out every day. (Says the person who has never set foot in a gym)
    - We didn't invite you because you're on a diet and we were going to Chili's (you should have heard that convo)
    - It's just a few pieces of candy, take it! (You have left a few pieces of candy on my desk 16 times this week)
    - One cookie won't hurt you. (I think it's really up to me what will and won't hurt me)
    - If you wouldn't go to the gym every day you wouldn't be so tired and your body wouldn't hurt (What?)
    - You go walking twice a day. You don't need to work out to work out, too! (What?)

AND MY FAVE:

Don't you have more important things to do? (More important than taking care of myself mentally, physically, and emotionally? NO. I don't. But thanks for asking!)

Lol love it ..coworkers I tell u!!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    People that think it's their place to decide when you can and can't fit in the calories to have something calorie-dense. "It's a special occasion, it's my birthday! You can indulge, this doesn't happen every day!" You don't know my schedule - maybe I'm hoarding calories that week and going out of town for the weekend. Maybe my mom's birthday was 2 days ago and I indulged then so I can't now. Maybe the kind of cake you bought just isn't worth the calories to my taste. Maybe I just don't want it as much as I want to maintain my deficit.

No matter what the reason is, it's not their place to decide for me when I can and can't afford to eat calorie-dense food.
    ^^^^
    This right here! Why should I waste my breath and explain my eating habits. This usually come from ppl that try every tea, shake, and wrap to lose weight but I'm the weird one...smdh
  • lyddiiaaa123
    lyddiiaaa123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say your not eating enough and they try to interfere with your diet and what would be best for you. I'm doing great thanks!
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Collegue....So you've lost weight....."yeah" which pill did you ask the doctor for......
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    You are losing weight on purpose? You're not dying or something.....

I got this one over the weekend. And then he grabbed my stomach. I don't care how good of friends we are or how much you've been drinking, that's not an ok thing to do.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My husband has picked up on all the excuses we see here. "Maybe you are gaining muscle." From walking? "Maybe you are in starvation mode." Nope, my hair hasn't started falling out...

I don't know I he heard all this from his mom and sisters as a teenager or is googling these things to be supportive, but it doesn't seem like someone who is trying to gain a little weight should be so well versed in weight loss myths!
  • fatshreddingprincess
    fatshreddingprincess Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    While losing weight, I feel slightly annoyed by almost anything people have to say about my body. I live in a country(korea) where the majority of people just give their opinions about u relentlessly. People including ur family, neighbors, shop owners, and even people working at the gym.
    Just as some background info I have been thin most of my life but after high school I just managed to pack on a few pounds while partying haha :)...
    I lost 9 kg and my bmi is now at 21 and I was feeling good about myself while exiting the gym and heading home. The gym worker was outside smoking and he called me over. He then proceeded to tell me to work harder. I said that I lost 9 kg and I will lose more and he just replied telling me to lose more. I was already planning to lose more but I dont need to hear that from anyone else.

Some people will offer me food and I would kindly decline while informing them that I am on a diet. Then they go on to tell me that im good enough already and nowadays people prefer chubbier girls. Really...Im not doing this for what people like. Im doing this for myself.

Some of my aunties seem to think they are the fat forecasters for fox news or something. They always feel the need to inform me on how my body currently looks. "Oh u gained weight! Oh u lost weight! Oh u r so pretty now! Oh u need to lose weight!" I already know all of that when I look in the mirror.

Some of my students even comment on my body image. One or two even tried to guess my weight recently when I told them i was in weight loss mode. I hoped I could appear in their dreams like freddy kreuger(sp) that night lol

Even my boyfriend managed to get on my nerves during my weight loss journey. When I was at 55kg I was bragging about my progress to him and he said "goooood. 55kg is still heavy for your height." Yes...I am 5'2" so 55kg is still pretty heavy for my height but really? That is just so unnecessary. Now that I got to 52kg he seems to be praising me on his own now but some people really need to learn that judging people doesnt do anything but ruin their motivations.

And omg I really hate it when people tell me not to eat at night because somehow eating past 8 will immediately convert food to fat. (Korean superstitions) my boss as well as many other people havr given me this "tip"
  • Ketzalitzli2
    Ketzalitzli2 Posts: 38 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I hate it when people say your not eating enough and they try to interfere with your diet and what would be best for you. I'm doing great thanks!

That's the issue I'm having. Right now my sister and her kids are staying with me until she finds a place of her own but she kind of took over my house. She buys all the things I can't have. Their diet is nothing but carbs, pastas, sugars, cereals, junk food... And then she cooks and I might have a small portion here and there but when I cook for myself she's like, "I made food!" or "Ugh, I couldn't log everything I eat. That's just too much!" or "Eat more, I made a lot!" Kind of a sideways undercover criticism or maybe that's just how I take it. I'm so over it though. Its my house, my body and I'm going to do whatever I want. I can't keep getting derailed from my goals.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice like 'Just avoid carbs', 'Stop eating sugar'.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When I mentioned to my very overweight co-worker that I still have a few kg to go before I'll be happy she's like "but you're a skinny mini you don't need to lose weight" so I said "yeah, I do, my BMI is over I just hide it well" and she said "BMI is rubbish anyway, ignore it". That annoyed me for 2 reasons: 1. she has a distorted view of what a healthy weight looks like and is trying to push that onto me, and 2. The "BMI is rubbish" argument is an oversimplification used as an excuse to not follow medical advice. Sure it's not the best indicator of health but BMI is the most widely used because for the majority of people it does an OK job. I have no evidence to suggest that in this regard I am a special snowflake, and neither does she.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    While losing weight, I feel slightly annoyed by almost anything people have to say about my body. I live in a country(korea) where the majority of people just give their opinions about u relentlessly. People including ur family, neighbors, shop owners, and even people working at the gym.
    Just as some background info I have been thin most of my life but after high school I just managed to pack on a few pounds while partying haha :)...
    I lost 9 kg and my bmi is now at 21 and I was feeling good about myself while exiting the gym and heading home. The gym worker was outside smoking and he called me over. He then proceeded to tell me to work harder. I said that I lost 9 kg and I will lose more and he just replied telling me to lose more. I was already planning to lose more but I dont need to hear that from anyone else.

Some people will offer me food and I would kindly decline while informing them that I am on a diet. Then they go on to tell me that im good enough already and nowadays people prefer chubbier girls. Really...Im not doing this for what people like. Im doing this for myself.

Some of my aunties seem to think they are the fat forecasters for fox news or something. They always feel the need to inform me on how my body currently looks. "Oh u gained weight! Oh u lost weight! Oh u r so pretty now! Oh u need to lose weight!" I already know all of that when I look in the mirror.

Some of my students even comment on my body image. One or two even tried to guess my weight recently when I told them i was in weight loss mode. I hoped I could appear in their dreams like freddy kreuger(sp) that night lol

Even my boyfriend managed to get on my nerves during my weight loss journey. When I was at 55kg I was bragging about my progress to him and he said "goooood. 55kg is still heavy for your height." Yes...I am 5'2" so 55kg is still pretty heavy for my height but really? That is just so unnecessary. Now that I got to 52kg he seems to be praising me on his own now but some people really need to learn that judging people doesnt do anything but ruin their motivations.

And omg I really hate it when people tell me not to eat at night because somehow eating past 8 will immediately convert food to fat. (Korean superstitions) my boss as well as many other people havr given me this "tip"

Hah! I actually was looking into teaching English in Korea or Japan. Definitely not going to try it until I get down to a healthy weight. I am not sure I could deal with those comments all the time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Remind me to never go to Korea. I'd probably kill someone.

55 kilos at 5'2" is a healthy weight.
  • NancyMizuno
    NancyMizuno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "No, I'm not interested in dating you, because I don't want to go out to special places to eat."

I can eat almost anywhere, I have learned to make good choices. Even some fast food places! I adjust so others don't have to!
  • Naboo325
    Naboo325 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My biggest peave is when you pass on something (for me its carbs) that is at the table or at a restaurant, and someone asks more than twice, are you sure? You can still eat you know? Can't you have at least a cheat day? Just stop!!! Then it launches a whole conversation about what they did on their last diet from 4 years ago.....
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Naboo325 wrote: »
    My biggest peave is when you pass on something (for me its carbs) that is at the table or at a restaurant, and someone asks more than twice, are you sure? You can still eat you know? Can't you have at least a cheat day? Just stop!!! Then it launches a whole conversation about what they did on their last diet from 4 years ago.....

Lol, I have to deal with this from the waitresses at my favorite restaurant. They make really good omelets, which are huge enough to be a meal on their own, but come with carby sides. I always say I don't want the sides (because why waste food?) and they never believe I will be satisfied, make sure I know they can't lower the price, try to pawn them off on my boyfriend, etc.

It's a good thing I'm not really a fan of hashbrowns or their badgering might get me to cave :D
  • fatshreddingprincess
    edited April 2016
    Options
    cate320 wrote: »

Hah! I actually was looking into teaching English in Korea or Japan. Definitely not going to try it until I get down to a healthy weight. I am not sure I could deal with those comments all the time.

Oh sorry if I scared u off! If u can get past the culture that revolves around superficial things and outer appearances it's really not a bad place to live. Also whether it is a good thing or not they are kinder to foreigners. Especially if you can speak Korean! I do get compliments often as well but I was just blowing off steam about the negative parts hahaha I'm actually pretty popular where I work. Even the kids that were poking at my weight really love me deep down lol :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I can normally tell the genuine from the snarky, and I respond accordingly. For example, my grandpa asked how much more weight I plan to lose. He didn't say it, but it's implied that he feels like I've gotten to a good point. I just told him not too much more gramps. I know that my grandpa isn't trying to be rude or anything and that it comes from a place of love and not jealousy. So I don't take any offense to it.

Plus, clothes can be deceiving. While someone might see you looking nice and trim in your clothes, when you take those suckers off it can be a different story. So I try not to get up in arms with the "you've lost too much" or "don't lose anymore" comments.

I hate the comments or looks I get from some people when I tell them I pole dance. Those are the ones that make me put people in their places quickly.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Bleh when my kids have playdate with a friend's kid (I guess she's not really a friend, but I've known her for 5 years through my kids), she's always pushing food on me... even after I say no, she puts it in front of me, makes me a bowl etc... It's infuriating, honestly I don't even want to go there anymore after the last time.
    cate320 wrote: »

Lol, I have to deal with this from the waitresses at my favorite restaurant. They make really good omelets, which are huge enough to be a meal on their own, but come with carby sides. I always say I don't want the sides (because why waste food?) and they never believe I will be satisfied, make sure I know they can't lower the price, try to pawn them off on my boyfriend, etc.

It's a good thing I'm not really a fan of hashbrowns or their badgering might get me to cave :D

You could ask for a side of fresh fruit or tomatoes! I know some places will give you tomatoes...
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I was going to say this. They would rip me to shreds. I'm 5'1 and I'm in the high 130s, with no intention of getting as low as 121. I'll be happy around 125-128. I know weighing in that range looks good on me.
  • fatshreddingprincess
    edited April 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Yeah I agree with you that 55kg is a healthy weight. The thing is that the mainstream culture here revolves around outer appearances. In a lot of other countries people tend to fix most of their least favorite facial features with makeup but koreans tend to like the "less makeup but still beautiful" look so plastic surgery is also very popular here. However when you get past that they are good people. I think most of the blame goes to the media :)