weight loss pills suggestions??

Options

Replies

• cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I take lots of medications, so I'm definitely weary about taking pills to lose weight as I don't know how it will effect my other meds. So those are out either way with my meds or without.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

So to give you an idea, take the ingredients and google them, there's usually a website somewhere that will tell you more about it.
    Nutritional Headquarters Fat Metaboliser 120 Tablets
    Vitamin B6 2.5mg 179% - Vitamin, sure, not an unusual item

Chromium 200ug 500% - That seems like a lot of Chromium, which is a mineral that your body should normally already contain.

Cayenne Pepper (Capsicum annuum) (fruit) 5mg ** - Throw some cayenne pepper on your own food? Again, not an unusual ingredient. It's supposed to help improve circulation.

Green Tea (Camellia sinensis) (leaf) 250mg ** - Drink some green tea and you have antioxidants and hydration!

L-Carnitine Tartrate 10mg ** - Some people use L-carnitine for muscle disorders associated with certain AIDS medications, difficulty fathering a child (male infertility), a brain development disorder called Rett syndrome, anorexia, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, overactive thyroid, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), leg ulcers, Lyme disease, and to improve athletic performance and endurance. Your body makes it on your own anyways. - Web MD side effects says: L-carnitine is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken by mouth and when used as an injection, with the approval of a healthcare provider. It can cause side effects such as nausea, vomiting, stomach upset, heartburn, diarrhea, and seizures. It can also cause the urine, breath, and sweat to have a "fishy" odor.

Kola Nut (Cola acuminata) (seed) 50mg ** - Cola nut is used for short-term relief of fatigue, depression, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), melancholy, lack of normal muscle tone (atony), exhaustion, dysentery, a type of diarrhea called atonic diarrhea, weight loss, and migraine headaches. -- On the plus side, you'll survive Oregon Trail (helps with dysentary!) - I suppose that's ok? According to WebMD Cola nut is POSSIBLY SAFE when taken by mouth in medicinal amounts, short-term. The caffeine in cola nut can cause insomnia, nervousness and restlessness, stomach irritation, nausea and vomiting, increased heart rate and respiration, and other side effects.

(Standardised to contain 10% Caffeine) (from 10mg of a 5:1 extract) - Not a lot, so not really necessary

Uva Ursi Extract (Arctostaphylos uva-ursi) (aerial) 25mg ** - My favorite one on the list - Uva ursi is used primarily for urinary tract disorders, including infections of the kidney, bladder, and urethra; swelling (inflammation) of the urinary tract; increased urination; painful urination; and urine that contains excess uric acid or other acids. Uva ursi is also used for constipation and a lung condition called bronchitis. -- To me, that's a total pass. It makes you pee better? Drink fluids, your body does it's own filtering without assistance. According to WebMD - Uva ursi is POSSIBLY SAFE for most adults when taken by mouth short-term (for up to one month). It can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach discomfort, and a greenish-brown discoloration of the urine.

Between the Kola Nut and the Uva Ursi there's no way I'd take these. Add the L-Carnitine in there and there's no way. That's a whole lot of stuff my body doesn't need help doing and can cause issues. I hope breaking one of them down this way helps at least explain what type of things they're trying to put in you with these pills, how to look them up and why you SHOULD look them up if you are seriously interested in them. As pointed out, natural does not mean that it's good for you.
    Just ask that District 5 Tribute Foxface..no wait, she died eating natural foods.
  • cadpro78
    cadpro78 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    so i guess you guys are also against multivitamins?

Multivitamins are different scenario though. My doctors always ask if I am taking any multivitamins tablets...they are good. I should really get back with that.
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    what are these pills made for then?
    if nobody has anything positive to say, then dont say anything at all. i didnt come on here for an argument!

I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know what others have said.

I was in the medical study a number of years ago for what eventually became the weight loss pill known as Contrave. I lost 40 pounds in 5 months during the medical study. I was also on a 1200 calorie, VERY STRICT diet. So was it the pills or the lack of calories that enabled me to lose 40 pounds in 5 months? I'll never know.

But I do know that the day the study ended, I began putting on weight. Because I no longer ate only 1200 calories a day. I ended up gaining back the 40 pounds AND MORE over the course of the next two years.

The lesson I learned from that was that until I had a better handle on the food going in my mouth, I'd never lose weight permanently - even with a pill that seemed to work. It took me a while to face up to that fact, but I eventually did.

I've now been on MFP for 99 days, and have lost 22 pounds. The only difference between now and the medical study? I'm not starving myself on 1200 calories a day. I'm eating 1600-1700 calories a day (more on the days I exercise). I'm not depriving myself of foods I enjoy (hello, carbs)! And rather than going for a quick fix (that ended up being temporary), I opted to go slow with my weight loss so that it was more likely to become a new lifestyle, instead of a quick way to lose some weight.

Good luck, OP. But I do advise that you stick with CICO as your method for weightloss, not pills.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    So was it the pills or the lack of calories that enabled me to lose 40 pounds in 5 months? I'll never know.

uh, what? I am pretty sure we all know the answer to why it happened, obviously the pills played no part at all. If you had eaten maintenance and lost 40 lbs then we would have something to ponder.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    eeejer wrote: »
    jaynee7283 wrote: »
    So was it the pills or the lack of calories that enabled me to lose 40 pounds in 5 months? I'll never know.

uh, what? I am pretty sure we all know the answer to why it happened, obviously the pills played no part at all. If you had eaten maintenance and lost 40 lbs then we would have something to ponder.

BINGO!! +1
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Check out the mail online and read the article where a lass took supplements and shredded her stomach.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i would like something to help me out with my diet. can anyone recommend any weight loss pills that work? i tried adios a long time ago but they didnt work. ive been looking into raspberry ketones, and detox pills, but they all have mixed reviews

Can anyone explain to me why we have mfp, which is a food tracking app, but there are questions like this?

Arent pills dangerous?
  • pootle1972
    Options
    i would like something to help me out with my diet. can anyone recommend any weight loss pills that work? i tried adios a long time ago but they didnt work. ive been looking into raspberry ketones, and detox pills, but they all have mixed reviews

Can anyone explain to me why we have mfp, which is a food tracking app, but there are questions like this?

Arent pills dangerous?

Because people want the quick fix....and yes they can be fatal, even the so called supplementary ones.

• Afura
    Options
    pootle1972 wrote: »
    Check out the mail online and read the article where a lass took supplements and shredded her stomach.
    Are we talking like...she looks shredded or the pills caused her stomach to shred internally? :worried:

Arent pills dangerous?
    Because people believe they need a little help, just a little boost, some extra to get them on their way, etc.
    Some pills can be dangerous, while others are just a placebo.
  • pootle1972
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Are we talking like...she looks shredded or the pills caused her stomach to shred internally? :worried:

Arent pills dangerous?
    Because people believe they need a little help, just a little boost, some extra to get them on their way, etc.

Shredded internally.

• Afura
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Afura wrote: »

Arent pills dangerous?

Shredded internally.

Sweet baby cheesus, no! Alright fine, I'm googling it anyways.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3533749/Teenage-girl-says-nearly-died-taking-herbal-diet-pills.html

Ironically, that red bottle is the same one I looked up the ingredients on. I feel dirty now.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Im wondering what the proper medical diagnosis was for her injury/condition of her stomach.

"Ms Hannah later discovered that one green tea tablet is the equivalent of FIVE cups of green tea."

*So if I drank 5 cups of green tea/day I would have a torn stomach lining?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    caffeine pills work great.

A cup of coffee is likely cheaper.

5c a pill. I don't think so.

Oh boy, here we go....
    Is a cost per mg of caffeine debate brewing?

No. I simply said caffeine pills are an effective weight loss pill, pretty much the only one with clinical evidence (examine.com says it is the only weight loss supplement that works). Someone else said it was cheaper to drink coffee. Even if you drink the crappiest dunkin donuts plonk it is far more expensive to drink it, plus the thread is about pills, not liquids.

Oh and I like the pun, I think you may just be trying to stir up trouble though.

But coffee actually tastes good and makes your stomach feel full for a bit. I guess you could have your caffeine pill with a big glass of water and it would be cheaper (w/less calories in my case)...still, I would drink coffee trying to lose, or not.

OP, do find the foods that keep you satiated. Sometimes taking a walk helps. And coffee...big thumbs up for coffee. :)

Other than that to lose more quickly be careful with weighing/logging your food, eat less/move more, but do know that you can overdo that and there may be negative consequences.
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't know much about the pills but I do know that caffeine is a stimulant thus an appetite suppressant. Im not saying start chugging coffee all day by any means! But you could Try drinking green tea throughout the day to help curb hunger.
  • pootle1972
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Bought from Holland and Barrett. ....as we keep trying to say op just because you buy them in a shop doesn't make them safe (or work)
  • Afura
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    But coffee actually tastes good and makes your stomach feel full for a bit. I guess you could have your caffeine pill with a big glass of water and it would be cheaper (w/less calories in my case)...still, I would drink coffee trying to lose, or not.
    Unless my coffee is full of creamer it does not taste good. Yes I know, you have to get used to it - I have better things to do. :smiley: I go in for tea, but it seems not to help so much, maybe the lack of ingesting the sugar from the creamer as well (cause let's be serious - International Delights Salted Caramel Mocha is delicious).

• Blubberboss
    Blubberboss Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are for people who have no self discipline. Sorry if that seems harsh. Even if they would by chance work you can't take them all your life and the weight will just pile back on after you quit taking them. Sorry to disappoint you. And yes, I may or may not have tried them in a past life. *hangs head in shame*
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    caffeine pills work great.

A cup of coffee is likely cheaper.

5c a pill. I don't think so.

Oh boy, here we go....
    Is a cost per mg of caffeine debate brewing?

No. I simply said caffeine pills are an effective weight loss pill, pretty much the only one with clinical evidence (examine.com says it is the only weight loss supplement that works). Someone else said it was cheaper to drink coffee. Even if you drink the crappiest dunkin donuts plonk it is far more expensive to drink it, plus the thread is about pills, not liquids.

Oh and I like the pun, I think you may just be trying to stir up trouble though.

OP, do find the foods that keep you satiated. Sometimes taking a walk helps. And coffee...big thumbs up for coffee. :)

Other than that to lose more quickly be careful with weighing/logging your food, eat less/move more, but do know that you can overdo that and there may be negative consequences.

Some people hate coffee, not me, I roast my own and drink lots. However, I still use caffeine supplements as a pre-workout. Sometimes it is just easier to pop a pill.